Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,132 members, 7,807,433 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 01:23 PM

Solution To The Nepa/phcn Palava - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Solution To The Nepa/phcn Palava (4483 Views)

“even If Buhari Presents NEPA Bill As Certificate, I Will Vote For Him” –ikpeba / Did You Cross-over To 2015 With NEPA/PHCN Light Or Your Generator? / Why Does NEPA(PHCN) Take Light When It's Raining? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Solution To The Nepa/phcn Palava by 5p1naz(m): 2:18pm On Feb 14, 2009
AS NIGERIANS, ONE MAJOR PROBLEM WE ENCOUNTER ALL AROUND THE COUNTRY IS THE ELECTRICITY PROBLEM. IT BEEN A SORE IN MY HEART BECAUSE EVERY MORNING WHEN I WAKE, I PONDER WHY A SIMPLE PROBLEM HAS BECOME SO MIGHTY BEFORE US THAT IT LOOKS ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE TO SOLVE. AFTER SERIES OF RESEARCH AND USING A COUNTRY (GHANA) AS MY CASE STUDY, I THINK I'VE FOUND A TEMPORARY SOLUTION TO THE PROBLEM. AND THIS CAN ONLY BE ACHIEVED IF WE SPREAD THIS MESSAGE ALL OVER NIGERIA AND WE ALL COOPERATE TO DO IT.

IN THE 90s GHANA HAD A SIMILAR ELECTRICITY PROBLEM LIKE NIGERIA, BUT THEN WHILE RUNNING THROUGH MY RESEARCH, I REALISED THEY WERE ABLE TO SOLVE THIS PROBLEM BY FOLLOWING SIMPLE RULES, JUST COMMON SENSE.

THE APPLICATION OF COMMON SENSE SAVED THEM A LOTTA TROUBLE WHICH I BELIEVE IF WE DECIDE TO APPLY NOW WOULD ALSO SAVE US A LOT OF EMBARASSMENT.

ALL ELECTRICAL APPLIANCES IN OUR VARIOUS HOMES CONSUME SOME AMOUNT OF ELECTRICITY, SOME CONSUME LILTTLE WHILE SOME CONSUME MORE ELECTRIICITY, EACH APPLIANCE DETERMINES UR ELECTRICITY BILL AT THE END OF EVERY MONTH, ONE MAIN REASON FOR THE ELECTRICITY PROBLEM IN NIGERIA IS THE INSUFFICIENT MEGAWATTS, AND THESE IN THE LAYMAN DEFINITION IS THE AMOUNT OF ELCTRICITY WE CONSUME. AND THE MEGAWATTS WE PRODUCE IN NIGERIA IS INNSSUFICIENT FOR OUR MASSIVE POPULATION WHICH MAKES IT IMPOSSIBLE FOR EVERYBODY TO HAVE LIGHT AT THE SAME TIME.

THE YELLOW ELECTRIC BULB USED IN MOST NIGERIAN HOMES IS A BIG ELETRICITY CONSUMER WHICH MOST PEOPLE IGNORE IGNORANTLY, IT EATS INTO YOUR ELECTRICITY BILL SILENTLY, AT THE SAME TIME EATS INTO THE NATIONS MEGAWATTS WHICH MAKES IT TOTALLY IMPOSSIBLE FOR EVERYONE TO ENJOY 24HRS ELECTRICITY,

SOLUTION
BY DOING AWAY WITH SUCH BULBS, YOU'VE DONE YOURSELF 2 GREAT DEALS

1. SAVED YOURSELF, CRAZY ELECTRICITY BILLS

2. MORE ELECTRICITY TIME (ONLY IF EVERYONE DOES THE SAME THING)

THE SOLUTION IS THE ENERGY SALVING BULB, THAT IS THE WHITE BULBS THAT SHINE LIKE FLORESCENT TUBES BUT ARE HELD BY LAMP HOLDERS, THESE BULBS CONSUME JUST LITTLE ELECTRICITY,

THIS WAS EFFECTIVE IN GHANA BECAUSE IT WAS ANNOUNCED THAT USING THOSE YELLOW BULBS WAS NOE ILLEGAL AND IF YOUU WERE CAU

THE SOLUTION IS THE ENERGY SALVING BULB, THAT IS THE WHITE BULBS THAT SHINE LIKE FLORESCENT TUBES BUT ARE HELD BY LAMP HOLDERS, THESE BULBS CONSUME JUST LITTLE ELECTRICITY,

THIS WAS EFFECTIVE IN GHANA BECAUSE IT WAS ANNOUNCED THAT USING THOSE YELLOW BULBS WAS NOE ILLEGAL AND IF YOUU WERE CAUGHT USING EM, YOU'D EITHER PAY A FINE OR GO TO JAIL. NOW THEY ENJOY 24HRS ELECTRICITY,
I THINK THE SAME THING SHOULD BE DONE HERE.

WHO SAYS WE CANT ACHIEVE THIS

YOUR OPINIONS PLEASE
Re: Solution To The Nepa/phcn Palava by Nobody: 9:33pm On Feb 14, 2009
Make sure you do your research properly before blabbing.
So the low watt bulb is the solution to NEPA. You are a dreamer.
The solution is simply increased Power generation and efficient distribution.
We simply do not have enough power to satisfy consumers.
NEPA has been generating the samer/lower power since the 1980's. Do you know how many more industries have popped up since then.
The nation has failed to beef up its power generation.
When comparing Ghana, you should also take into consideration, population density and available power.
I'm sure the power consumed in Lagos alone is greater than the entire Ghanian nation (no offense to ghanians).
Re: Solution To The Nepa/phcn Palava by 5p1naz(m): 10:03pm On Feb 14, 2009
A-town:

Make sure you do your research properly before blabbing.
So the low watt bulb is the solution to NEPA. You are a dreamer.
The solution is simply increased Power generation and efficient distribution.
We simply do not have enough power to satisfy consumers.
NEPA has been generating the samer/lower power since the 1980's. Do you know how many more industries have popped up since then.
The nation has failed to beef up its power generation.
When comparing Ghana, you should also take into consideration, population density and available power.
I'm sure the power consumed in Lagos alone is greater than the entire Ghanian nation (no offense to ghanians).

i guess i made the mistake by sayin "solution" well i meant temporary solution, but reading through my stuff is enough to tell you its a temporary solution which i emphasized should be done by you and i for our own good, i wasnt suggesting a solution to the government, and pls when reading through an article mr. em, mr a-town, i think you should read for understanding and noot for mistakes, i never compared nigeria with ghana aiite? i only talked about a solution that would reduce power consumption thereby increasing light time, "simple".
Re: Solution To The Nepa/phcn Palava by tpia: 11:43pm On Feb 14, 2009
Re: Solution To The Nepa/phcn Palava by bawomolo(m): 1:23am On Feb 15, 2009
The problem is the energy consumption of some people is already close to nil (beside generators).
Re: Solution To The Nepa/phcn Palava by 5p1naz(m): 2:46am On Feb 15, 2009
tpia:

I think the OP means people should start conserving and cut down on energy consumption.

wat is OP?
Re: Solution To The Nepa/phcn Palava by Muza(m): 2:58am On Feb 15, 2009
op = poster
Re: Solution To The Nepa/phcn Palava by Kobojunkie: 3:15am On Feb 15, 2009
roflmao!!! @Poster, your write up makes me think back to when, on so many nights, we had to turn off all other appliances in the house so we could get the tv to come on. roflmao!!
Re: Solution To The Nepa/phcn Palava by Nobody: 3:47am On Feb 15, 2009
5p1naz:

wat is OP?
Original Poster
Original P***y
Original Pe*is
Original love-vendor
Orangutan Personnel

etc. . . .

@post
good to the luck smiley
Re: Solution To The Nepa/phcn Palava by Nobody: 6:51am On Feb 15, 2009
HeatFusion:

Original Poster
[b]Original P***y
Original Pe*is
Original love-vendor
Orangutan Per[/b]sonnel

etc. . . .

@post
good to the luck smiley

see original prevert grin
Re: Solution To The Nepa/phcn Palava by Nobody: 11:20am On Feb 15, 2009
5p1naz:

i guess i made the mistake by sayin "solution" well i meant temporary solution, but reading through my stuff is enough to tell you its a temporary solution which i emphasized should be done by you and i for our own good, i wasnt suggesting a solution to the government, and pls when reading through an article mr. em, mr a-town, i think you should read for understanding and noot for mistakes, i never compared nigeria with ghana aiite? i only talked about a solution that would reduce power consumption thereby increasing light time, "simple".

Trust me, i'm not trying to antagonize or anything. Just saying it the way i see it.
Conserving energy might make sense if you are close to supplying the amount of power needed.
Nigeria needs well over 8000 MW and NEPA barely meets up to 3000MW. I heard output last yr was 1000MW.
A bulb here and there will make no difference.
If consumption was like 3200 MW and NEPA's capacity is 2500MW, then it will make sense.
The industries in Lagos alone can use up NEPA's total output and still not have 24/7 "lite"
It all has to do with planning and regulation.

I went to commission a plant in the middle east some time last yr. Prior to approving the building of the plant, the power authorities told the management that they would not be able to supply them with enough power as it would affect the local consumers. The plant ended up generating their own power.
During the oil boom in Nigeria, billions of industries sprung up and there was no provision for them. Capacity was not increased while demand increased by over 500%
Re: Solution To The Nepa/phcn Palava by anthony86(m): 11:43am On Feb 15, 2009
smiley
I think the Author has made some sense .Most Nigerians are not power conscious we tend to use power carelessly,Imagine a household of 7 with 3 Television set 2 sound system consuming abt 2.5Kv,3 A.C working simultaneously not to mention dish washer ,Electric stove but notwithstanding anybody has the right to decorate his home with Electric appliances.The cross of the matter is that the Household monthly PHCN bill is just abt 3000 Naira a month.Who do we blame?
Re: Solution To The Nepa/phcn Palava by Jakumo(m): 12:07pm On Feb 15, 2009
Simply declare all electrical appliances ILLEGAL, and herd all offenders into concentration camps, to wean Nigeria of its electrical energy dependence.

Electricity was invented by a pale-faced white man, who had no access to fresh and smoke-dried human parts for use in  Jujuological Science research and development, as is the case in Nigeria today.

If the Juju option does not produce the desired results, let us at least take the bold step of boycotting electricity anyway, by borrowing a leaf from the book of miracles performed by Pastor Eunuch Adeboye, who recently invented a car that can run for 200 miles with prayer alone, and NO fuel.  Surely anyone who can invent a zero-fuel engined car ought to be able to power the entire nation of Nigeria with prayers and voodoo alone, possibly producing enough surplus energy to export to neighboring countries.

Nigeria must learn to look inward, and to re-invent the wheel where necessary, so as to retain its technological edge over the West.
Re: Solution To The Nepa/phcn Palava by SkyBlue1: 12:17pm On Feb 15, 2009
I don't even know wether this is a joke, LOL. Such analogy using ghana requires information like population of ghana, power generating capacity in ghana, size of the indutrial sector, number of cities, etc. With all of that considered this seems a ridiculous premise. How can people save what they do not have? Industries are run on generators, TINAPA has its own power supply system and hence does not rely on NEPA, even if we shut down all industries the domestic demand cannot be met, i mean how many houses have generators in Nigeria and won't it be easier counting houses without generators?

South Africa with a population less than a third of that of Nigeria has a generating capacity of about 40,000MW and they still have some power problems. Then you now look at Nigeria with such a population only managing at best to squeeze out about 3000MW on a very good day and you think the issue is energy conservation? Gosh it is soooooo embarassing, LOL. Even MTN and Glo had to invest heavily in generators, meaning money spent on equipment which pollutes the environment and runs on imported fuel in a country that is the 8 largest exporter of crude oil. CHEY, it is embarassing, LOL.
Re: Solution To The Nepa/phcn Palava by PollMaster: 12:36pm On Feb 15, 2009
Thank you poster. At least u r one of those actually looking 4 solutions and not just running others ideas down - mr a town,kobojunkie,etc.
I think you are quite smart.
Re: Solution To The Nepa/phcn Palava by SkyBlue1: 1:09pm On Feb 15, 2009
PollMaster:

Thank you poster. At least u r one of those actually looking 4 solutions and not just running others ideas down - mr a town,kobojunkie,etc.
#

The solution has and is still increasing power generation capacity and quality of distribution. Hence, build more power plants and invest in power lines, transformers, etc.
Re: Solution To The Nepa/phcn Palava by cola: 1:31pm On Feb 15, 2009
the suggestion isn't so ridiculous.
would the suggestion solve the power problems in the country? certainly not.
would it help in alleviating the hardship and make the solution achievable more quickly? i think yes.

i look at it this way:

if currently there are 1 million of those 60watts bulbs in the country (assumed figure)
that translates literally to 60million watts of consumption.
changing those to 20 wattage bulbs mean the consumption due to those lighting points become 20 million watts,
a third of the previous figure!

now again, will only that solve the problem? I repeat NO.
but obviously would be very helpful, wouldn't it?

Government should increase supply of megawatts
Citizens should endeavor to reduce demand of megawatts any way they can

now that isn't a ridiculous or unrealistic proposal, is it?
Re: Solution To The Nepa/phcn Palava by Kobojunkie: 3:10pm On Feb 15, 2009
PollMaster:

. . . . . says the man running down the ideas of others in his response. Open your eyes and read, mi'ter. You do not go preaching GREEN or CONSERVATION as solution when you have next to NOTHING to conserve. Most all of those you are calling to CONSERVE use PRIVATE generators. roflmao!!
Re: Solution To The Nepa/phcn Palava by PollMaster: 7:24pm On Feb 15, 2009
I agree with you skyblue.
But the poster is simply offering a temporary strategy that we can perform ourselves. That is laudable in my humble opinion.

Kobojunkie
I am yet to see an idea from u.
Do u use a generator? Well so does every1 else. I can see you are not a Nigerian citizen or have not been here in a long while.

Pls note that from some of ur previous posts i have noted that u argue very intelligently, which has made ur posts favorites of mine.
Re: Solution To The Nepa/phcn Palava by Nobody: 10:17pm On Feb 15, 2009
PollMaster:

Don't get me started. I aint running down nothing. Read my response gadddddamiittttt.
I only stated that his "solution" is not a solution. kapeesh.
The statement about Nigerians not being energy conscious is actually ridiculous.
You need to see the bunch of gadgets that are used in the states. Several homes don't even turn of the air conditioning in their homes. Virtually every home has a dishwasher, laundry machine, drier e.t.c
In Nigeria, these basic accessories are only available to the rich (which is less than 10% of the population)
Do you know that in a certain town in Ogun state, the people have a/c's that they've never used!!! NEPA always gives them "Half" current.
Okay, cutting the story short, you don't just pick solutions from other countries without thinking about the source of your problems.
Conserving energy will make no difference in Nigeria. You can't conserve what you don't have.
Re: Solution To The Nepa/phcn Palava by tpia: 4:51am On Feb 16, 2009
Re: Solution To The Nepa/phcn Palava by Nobody: 5:01am On Feb 16, 2009
tpia:

while we're at it, everyone should say a word of thanks for Benjamin Franklin for experimenting with lightning back in the day, and Thomas Edison who not only invented electricity but mass produced it as well.
And we should also not forget to thank Nigeria for the favorit phrase "Pure water pure water. N10 pure water pure water".
Re: Solution To The Nepa/phcn Palava by tpia: 5:02am On Feb 16, 2009
Re: Solution To The Nepa/phcn Palava by Nobody: 5:04am On Feb 16, 2009
That's what I saw on a thread a while ago.
Re: Solution To The Nepa/phcn Palava by tpia: 8:26am On Feb 16, 2009
Re: Solution To The Nepa/phcn Palava by 5p1naz(m): 10:43am On Feb 16, 2009
cola:

the suggestion isn't so ridiculous.
would the suggestion solve the power problems in the country? certainly not.
would it help in alleviating the hardship and make the solution achievable more quickly? i think yes.

i look at it this way:

if currently there are 1 million of those 60watts bulbs in the country (assumed figure)
that translates literally to 60million watts of consumption.
changing those to 20 wattage bulbs mean the consumption due to those lighting points become 20 million watts,
a third of the previous figure!

now again, will only that solve the problem? I repeat NO.
but obviously would be very helpful, wouldn't it?

Government should increase supply of megawatts
Citizens should endeavor to reduce demand of megawatts any way they can

now that isn't a ridiculous or unrealistic proposal, is it?

this is someone who understands wat i am saying,
there are lots of people who use 100watts bulb plus , remember my suggestion aint to the government, but to the citizens, it'lll save you lots of money payin liltle at the end of a month and mite as well give u some more electricity time,

and by the way, what exactly is stopping us from generating more megawatts what is wrong with nigeria?
Re: Solution To The Nepa/phcn Palava by Kobojunkie: 2:48pm On Feb 16, 2009
PollMaster:

Kobojunkie
I am yet to see an idea from u.
Do u use a generator? Well so does every1 else. I can see you are not a Nigerian citizen or have not been here in a long while.

Pls note that from some of ur previous posts i have noted that u argue very intelligently, which has made ur posts favorites of mine.

I am sure all that above made sense to you in some way . . . so I will say good luck with it!!
Re: Solution To The Nepa/phcn Palava by Kobojunkie: 2:51pm On Feb 16, 2009
5p1naz:

there are lots of people who use 100watts bulb plus , remember my suggestion aint to the government, but to the citizens, it'lll save you lots of money payin liltle at the end of a month and mite as well give u some more electricity time,
and by the way, what exactly is stopping us from generating more megawatts what is wrong with nigeria?

GOVERNMENT and no amount of lower watt bulbs will give more watts unless it is actually produced. Not saying your suggestion is not a good one. It works well but in Nigeria, consider how much the "green" bulbs cost. I use 100watt-like bulbs but they are not cheap. Buying a quality "green" bulb for almost Naira 500 each is not cheap. And you usually don't get the returns at the end of the month.
Re: Solution To The Nepa/phcn Palava by Nobody: 12:33am On Feb 17, 2009
5p1naz:

This is why i stated earlier that you should conduct your research properly and stop "sitting" on theory.
Which money are you saving. Do you need me to to do the cost analysis for you. You can say that Nigerians "might" be doing the environment a favor but they WILL not save nada.
How many people in Nigeria pay for actual power consumed. NEPA officials just bring in bills when they like. How do you explain areas that don't "have lite" for one month receiving bills. DO you know that Nepa officials are angry/trying to sabotage the newly inducted pre-paid meters? No more prorated "fake" bills for them.
The reason i am emphasizing research is because i think you just picked up the idea and ultimately think it applies in naija.
The current inflation rate won't make your energy savings worthwile. It will take you up to a year or even more in savings to recoup the money spent on the "green bulb".
Sometimes its just not worth it/practicable.
Its just like the idiots that line up @ NNPC gas stations to buy pms for N69. The max saving you can get from this is N70 on a 70 litre tank but some people still sit their ass there thinking they are saving when in reality they are losing
Re: Solution To The Nepa/phcn Palava by 5p1naz(m): 12:59am On Feb 18, 2009
energy saving bulb

Re: Solution To The Nepa/phcn Palava by Jakumo(m): 8:02am On Feb 18, 2009
For a long-term solution to Nigeria's energy crisis, which also addresses the problem of rampant obesity among Nigerians, let us borrow a page from the book of Bicycle Electricity Generation.

I propose that every household in Nigeria should be[b] forced [/b] to purchase a bicycle generator at vastly inflated cost.  The contraptions should be positioned in front-yards of every residence, to facilitate frequent on-site inspections by bribe-taking government officials.  All family members in each household that are assumed to be above the age of 5 should be compelled to mount the bicycle generator and pedal like hell for sequential three-hour stretches in turn, regardless of whether or not any electrical appliances are switched on in the building, such that all excess electrical power generated by millions of furiously pedaling Nigerians can be fed back into the national grid where it can then be monopolized by Chinese and Indian-owned factories. 

http://pedalpowergenerator.com/ellen-degeneres-pedal-power-bicycle-generator.html

Re: Solution To The Nepa/phcn Palava by Nobody: 10:35am On Feb 21, 2009
Jakumo:

For a long-term solution to Nigeria's energy crisis, which also addresses the problem of rampant obesity among Nigerians, let us borrow a page from the book of Bicycle Electricity Generation.

I propose that every household in Nigeria should be[b] forced [/b] to purchase a bicycle generator at vastly inflated cost. The contraptions should be positioned in front-yards of every residence, to facilitate frequent on-site inspections by bribe-taking government officials. All family members in each household that are assumed to be above the age of 5 should be compelled to mount the bicycle generator and pedal like hell for sequential three-hour stretches in turn, regardless of whether or not any electrical appliances are switched on in the building, such that all excess electrical power generated by millions of furiously pedaling Nigerians can be fed back into the national grid where it can then be monopolized by Chinese and Indian-owned factories.

http://pedalpowergenerator.com/ellen-degeneres-pedal-power-bicycle-generator.html

Gbam.
I've always wondered why all the power wasted in GYMs can't be put into good use. All those ellipticals and cycles can be used to generate substantial energy. A lot of nigerians go skinny sha.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Oni Faults Aregbesola On “omoluabi” / Yorubas Are Not Cowards / Open Letter To Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.