Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,168 members, 7,780,191 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 10:40 AM

Great Jazz Guitarists Let's Discuss Here - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Great Jazz Guitarists Let's Discuss Here (2608 Views)

Pro Electric Guitarists Let's Meet Here / Strictly For Guitarists, Please Come In. / A Thread For All Guitarists (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Great Jazz Guitarists Let's Discuss Here by Segse(m): 6:03pm On May 28, 2015
I am a guitarist, though not yet a professional due to the influence of other musical instruments I've ventured in but GUITAR remains my best.

Let's start our discussions with various guitar jazz artists you know, both local & international. For naija artists I cherish Shadare Agboola & Kunle Ayo & for international I cherish Norman Brown & Acoustic Alchemy.

Guitarists let's here yours.....
Re: Great Jazz Guitarists Let's Discuss Here by Segse(m): 10:20pm On May 29, 2015
Wow! Are there no guitarists on nairaland? This is incredible!
Re: Great Jazz Guitarists Let's Discuss Here by Bryt07: 11:32am On May 30, 2015
mayb there r buh nt errybdy wld wanna comment...upload some of ur plays lets rate...norman brownz is good buh...I prefer george benson and joe pas, or kenny burell, chet atkins...loads of em...as a guitarist ion fink much bout jazz tho...its kinda old school...the jazz era is passed...just like the renaisance, barouque period of classical music...we r now in a pop and electronica period....smiley ...so I guess u jez vs to follow the trend...there wz a time I wz so obsessed wif jazz...buh im past that faze nw...I feel erry guitarist must ve to pass thru that faze...cos it wz during the jazz era that the guitar wz given a voice in orchestraz or quartetz cos b4 then I.e ragtime nd classical period d guitar wz regarded as a string instrument and wznt as important as it is today...but django reinhardt changed that...u shld check out joe pass...hez d only guitar virtuoso...he majors in bepop...am sure u shld b well studied in that as a jazz student...he majored in post modern tho...nd he did a little swing in his collaborations wif ella fitzgerald...she wz d celine dion of jazz era...and frank sinatra was the lionel richie of that era lol....just check him out tho...joe pass I mean.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Great Jazz Guitarists Let's Discuss Here by dreezybines: 5:54pm On Jun 17, 2015
are there no jazz fans on this site?
Re: Great Jazz Guitarists Let's Discuss Here by holajeedayy: 10:15am On Nov 06, 2015
Electric guiter for sale call 07030842589
Re: Great Jazz Guitarists Let's Discuss Here by Hiploko(m): 10:54am On Nov 06, 2015
Re: Great Jazz Guitarists Let's Discuss Here by jayriginal: 9:13am On Dec 02, 2015
Bryt07:
mayb there r buh nt errybdy wld wanna comment...upload some of ur plays lets rate...norman brownz is good buh...I prefer george benson and joe pas, or kenny burell, chet atkins...loads of em...as a guitarist ion fink much bout jazz tho...
which is fine but this

its kinda old school...the jazz era is passed...just like the renaisance, barouque period of classical music...we r now in a pop and electronica period....smiley ...so I guess u jez vs to follow the trend...there wz a time I wz so obsessed wif jazz...buh im past that faze nw...I feel erry guitarist must ve to pass thru that faze...
is not. The jazz era is not passed as you say, neither is the classical era. Music is music and if you're not into jazz its fine but if you are simply into what is trending, its your choice anyway.

cos it wz during the jazz era that the guitar wz given a voice in orchestraz or quartetz cos b4 then I.e ragtime nd classical period d guitar wz regarded as a string instrument and wznt as important as it is today...but django reinhardt changed that...u shld check out joe pass...hez d only guitar virtuoso...he majors in bepop...am sure u shld b well studied in that as a jazz student...he majored in post modern tho...nd he did a little swing in his collaborations wif ella fitzgerald...she wz d celine dion of jazz era...and frank sinatra was the lionel richie of that era lol....just check him out tho...joe pass I mean.
Joe Pass is regarded as a guitar virtuoso. Nobody would be bold enough to say that he is the only virtuoso. You've never heard about Lenny Breau I guess or George Van Epps. There are several guitarists living today that play things even Joe Pass wouldnt believe. This is not to belittle Joe Pass as he was a true virtuoso but even in his time he wasnt the only one.

Your post reads like someone reciting what he learned from a textbook rather than from experience.
Re: Great Jazz Guitarists Let's Discuss Here by Bryt07: 6:24pm On Dec 03, 2015
jayriginal:

which is fine but this

is not. The jazz era is not passed as you say, neither is the classical era. Music is music and if you're not into jazz its fine but if you are simply into what is trending, its your choice anyway.

Joe Pass is regarded as a guitar virtuoso. Nobody would be bold enough to say that he is the only virtuoso. You've never heard about Lenny Breau I guess or George Van Epps. There are several guitarists living today that play things even Joe Pass wouldnt believe. This is not to belittle Joe Pass as he was a true virtuoso but even in his time he wasnt the only one.

Your post reads like someone reciting what he learned from a textbook rather than from experience.
joe pass is the Only guitar virtuoso...lenny bureau was gOod...I knw them...nd I'm well aware of the other jazz guitarist during his time...in fact lenny bureau himself said joe pass was his inspiration lenny used to go watch joe play when he was a boy...nd what I meant by only guitar virtuoso is the fact that in the world from the beggining till nw there have only been about 14 virtuosoz ever and the only guitarist among them was joe pass...lenny breau wasn't even much in the main stream during his time...he and chet atkin worked togeda...chet atkins is still alive tho not too sure even the chet atkins his apprentice was mur recognized dan lenny bureau...yeah and to me jazz z dead cos pop killed jazz...if you go to new orleans now which z known as the home of jazz the jazz clubs is not what it used to be like in the 70s or 60s...1hen ella fitz and co used to run things then or billie holiday...things changed timez have changed we are now in an age of pop and electronica...and I didn't just read all these in a bOok...I ve been playing the guitar for 25years now soo I know all these plus I ve two degrees from a weel respected school of music in the world and in nigeria where I did jazz...I love classical too I love latin I love soul I love rythm and blues I love edm...so I'm nt just typing without experience
Re: Great Jazz Guitarists Let's Discuss Here by jayriginal: 9:29pm On Dec 03, 2015
Bryt07:
joe pass is the Only guitar virtuoso...lenny bureau was gOod...I knw them...nd I'm well aware of the other jazz guitarist during his time...in fact lenny bureau himself said joe pass was his inspiration lenny used to go watch joe play when he was a boy...nd what I meant by only guitar virtuoso is the fact that in the world from the beggining till nw there have only been about 14 virtuosoz ever and the only guitarist among them was joe pass...lenny breau wasn't even much in the main stream during his time...he and chet atkin worked togeda...chet atkins is still alive tho not too sure even the chet atkins his apprentice was mur recognized dan lenny bureau...yeah and to me jazz z dead cos pop killed jazz...if you go to new orleans now which z known as the home of jazz the jazz clubs is not what it used to be like in the 70s or 60s...1hen ella fitz and co used to run things then or billie holiday...things changed timez have changed we are now in an age of pop and electronica...and I didn't just read all these in a bOok...I ve been playing the guitar for 25years now soo I know all these plus I ve two degrees from a weel respected school of music in the world and in nigeria where I did jazz...I love classical too I love latin I love soul I love rythm and blues I love edm...so I'm nt just typing without experience

Lol. This is funny. Chet Atkins is dead. That's one. Two Lenny was a Canadian with roots in Country music, so remind me again where he used to watch Joe Pass(an Italian American) play.

What qualifies one as a virtuoso? Do you mind telling me? Oh and Chet was never an apprentice to Lenny or Vice Versa. At best, Chet took Lenny under his wing and produced him. Joe Pass isn't the only guitar virtuoso, not now and not then.
Re: Great Jazz Guitarists Let's Discuss Here by Bryt07: 7:51am On Dec 04, 2015
jayriginal:

Lol. This is funny. Chet Atkins is dead. That's one. Two Lenny was a Canadian with roots in Country music, so remind me again where he used to watch Joe Pass(an Italian American) play.

What qualifies one as a virtuoso? Do you mind telling me? Oh and Chet was never an apprentice to Lenny or Vice Versa. At best, Chet took Lenny under his wing and produced him. Joe Pass isn't the only guitar virtuoso, not now and not then.
lol you would say to you cos based on world records joe z d only one...I too think other people deserve the title too but joe pass has been the only guitarist to b given the title....if u attended jazz festival in paris this year u'll c dat der r many mur talented guitarist than joe...I for one loved wes montgomery a lot...yeah nd I got sum of those stuffs mixed up in my earlier post...guess its one of the perks of old age...mix things up a lot.
Re: Great Jazz Guitarists Let's Discuss Here by jayriginal: 9:56pm On Dec 04, 2015
Bryt07:
lol you would say to you cos based on world records joe z d only one...I too think other people deserve the title too but joe pass has been the only guitarist to b given the title....if u attended jazz festival in paris this year u'll c dat der r many mur talented guitarist than joe...I for one loved wes montgomery a lot...yeah nd I got sum of those stuffs mixed up in my earlier post...guess its one of the perks of old age...mix things up a lot.

Joe wasn't given any title called Virtuoso. Virtuoso is the name of a series of four albums he released to show his virtuosity on guitar.

In fact, the only title I'm aware of is CGP or Certified Guitar Player which is a title conferred by Chet Atkins on a few players and his criteria were subjective.

That Joe is called a virtuoso (and rightly so) doesn't mean he is the only one. There are hundreds of guitar virtuosos cutting across different genres of music.
Re: Great Jazz Guitarists Let's Discuss Here by Bryt07: 7:26am On Dec 05, 2015
jayriginal:

Joe wasn't given any title called Virtuoso. Virtuoso is the name of a series of four albums he released to show his virtuosity on guitar.

In fact, the only title I'm aware of is CGP or Certified Guitar Player which is a title conferred by Chet Atkins on a few players and his criteria were subjective.

That Joe is called a virtuoso (and rightly so) doesn't mean he is the only one. There are hundreds of guitar virtuosos cutting across different genres of music.
okay that's cool

(1) (Reply)

Download Dj Khalid - That Range Rover Came With Steps Ft. Future & Yo Gotti / Download Kabiyesi O, Hosanna O Sheet Music By James A. Yankey / Download Album: G-eazy — Everything’s Strange Here (2020 Zip + Tracks)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.