Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,989 members, 7,799,399 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 08:26 PM

What Subject Can't Be Self-taught??? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What Subject Can't Be Self-taught??? (1309 Views)

What Did You Do To Be Self Dependent Financially As A University Student? / What Subject Do You Think This Class Teacher Teaches? / Which Subject Do You Think Is Going On? (Hilarious Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Subject Can't Be Self-taught??? by AAinEqGuinea: 10:49pm On May 28, 2015
Why does society still need primary/secondary schools or uni's if one can learn any scientific discipline either online with eBooks and e-instructors or traditional library books?

Do you believe every discipline can be self taught, including medicine?

1 Like

Re: What Subject Can't Be Self-taught??? by demmy0325(m): 10:51pm On May 28, 2015
Re: What Subject Can't Be Self-taught??? by Ojobojo1(m): 11:55pm On May 28, 2015
Engineering
Re: What Subject Can't Be Self-taught??? by Nobody: 5:24am On May 29, 2015
Architecture.
Re: What Subject Can't Be Self-taught??? by Yustash001(m): 6:30am On May 29, 2015
The ones that involve practical can't be self-taught....you need someone to guide you through...
Re: What Subject Can't Be Self-taught??? by AAinEqGuinea: 4:44pm On May 29, 2015
Yustash001:
The ones that involve practical can't be self-taught....you need someone to guide you through...

That someone could simply be an apprentice after learning the material yourself, could it not?

Harjibode:
Architecture.
Ojobojo1:
Engineering

I see...begin naming all the most difficult, seemingly insurmountable sciences first cool
Re: What Subject Can't Be Self-taught??? by Fulaman198(m): 5:18pm On May 29, 2015
Ojobojo1:
Engineering

Can be self taught these days
Re: What Subject Can't Be Self-taught??? by Fulaman198(m): 5:18pm On May 29, 2015
The most basic one to me can't be self-taught and that's reading and speaking foreign languages

1 Like

Re: What Subject Can't Be Self-taught??? by Ojobojo1(m): 6:43pm On Jun 01, 2015
Mr Fulaman, what do you think is taught in Engineering, you need to be a Michael Faraday to learn even a little part yourself. D languages r easy to learn because there are guides all over the internet for that, dere r little children hu hv taught themselves many different languages.
Re: What Subject Can't Be Self-taught??? by Fulaman198(m): 8:34pm On Jun 01, 2015
Ojobojo1:
Mr Fulaman, what do you think is taught in Engineering, you need to be a Michael Faraday to learn even a little part yourself. D languages r easy to learn because there are guides all over the internet for that, dere r little children hu hv taught themselves many different languages.

On the Contrary engineering can be very much self-taught in this modern age.

All you need is a good and reliable internet connection (which sadly not everyone has access to).

1. A good computer - (Being able to watch tutorial videos on YouTube), there are also free online courses nowadays.
2. If you are in the West, they have memberships to things like acm.org for engineering students where you can have access to a lot of free ebooks for engineering courses
3. The right software - This is also key. If you are in Software engineering have the right programmes for Java like Eclipse or if you are in network engineering, having something like GNS3 to practise with Network Topologies and configuring routers, switches and Cisco ASAs via CLI is a blessing.

Everything can be learned online nowadays, let's not pretend as if it isn't possible. I know that I've learned quite a lot online via online courses. Gone are the days you actually need a professor (unless you need someone to explain concepts to you). There are now online forums in which you can voice your questions or concerns.

1 Like

Re: What Subject Can't Be Self-taught??? by Nobody: 8:24pm On Jun 03, 2015
Teaching yourself anything is five times harder than having someone else guide you.

I know because I taught myself 70% of everything learned in secondary school.
Re: What Subject Can't Be Self-taught??? by Nobody: 8:26pm On Jun 03, 2015
Fulaman198:

On the Contrary engineering can be very much self-taught in this modern age.

All you need is a good and reliable internet connection (which sadly not everyone has access to).

1. A good computer - (Being able to watch tutorial videos on YouTube), there are also free online courses nowadays.
2. If you are in the West, they have memberships to things like acm.org for engineering students where you can have access to a lot of free ebooks for engineering courses
3. The right software - This is also key. If you are in Software engineering have the right programmes for Java like Eclipse or if you are in network engineering, having something like GNS3 to practise with Network Topologies and configuring routers, switches and Cisco ASAs via CLI is a blessing.

Everything can be learned online nowadays, let's not pretend as if it isn't possible. I know that I've learned quite a lot online via online courses. Gone are the days you actually need a professor (unless you need someone to explain concepts to you). There are now online forums in which you can voice your questions or concerns.
the point is this, you need a certificate to be able to practice. What is the point of teaching yourself something when you can't work with it?
Re: What Subject Can't Be Self-taught??? by Fulaman198(m): 8:43pm On Jun 03, 2015
Teempakguy:
the point is this, you need a certificate to be able to practice. What is the point of teaching yourself something when you can't work with it?

You can self-study to get that certificate right?
Re: What Subject Can't Be Self-taught??? by Fulaman198(m): 8:44pm On Jun 03, 2015
Teempakguy:
Teaching yourself anything is five times harder than having someone else guide you.

I know because I taught myself 70% of everything learned in secondary school.

It is harder, but it's not impossible. The smartest of human beings have always taught themselves new things.
Re: What Subject Can't Be Self-taught??? by Nobody: 8:46pm On Jun 03, 2015
Fulaman198:

It is harder, but it's not impossible. The smartest of human beings have always taught themselves new things.
obviously. You need Intelligence to teach yourself stuff. And that is exactly why. The smartest people you say comprise 2% of the population only.
Re: What Subject Can't Be Self-taught??? by AfricanApple(f): 8:59pm On Jun 03, 2015
primary? how would you know how to teach yourself at primary?
Re: What Subject Can't Be Self-taught??? by Fulaman198(m): 9:45pm On Jun 03, 2015
Teempakguy:
obviously. You need Intelligence to teach yourself stuff. And that is exactly why. The smartest people you say comprise 2% of the population only.

Don't set your standards low.

If they can do it, why can't you? Don't think of yourself as an average human being, you must push yourself and cross that line.
Re: What Subject Can't Be Self-taught??? by Fulaman198(m): 9:46pm On Jun 03, 2015
AfricanApple:
primary? how would you know how to teach yourself at primary?

That's really difficult and a tough question to answer.
Re: What Subject Can't Be Self-taught??? by AAinEqGuinea: 9:59pm On Jun 03, 2015
Fulaman198:

You can self-study to get that certificate right?

You said the needful before I could post. Once a person understands the basics, with dedication it is possible to learn everything else on your own. The smartest black people I knew (not from Africa) were all home schooled. Why can't college be taught in the same fashion? Self-paced and at home?

Fyi, I'm speaking specifically to being self-taught in the modern times, the digital age.

1 Like

Re: What Subject Can't Be Self-taught??? by Nobody: 10:11pm On Jun 03, 2015
Fulaman198:

Don't set your standards low.

If they can do it, why can't you? Don't think of yourself as an average human being, you must push yourself and cross that line.
dude, I just said I teach myself. I am currently studying advanced mathematics and physics by myself. But your question was directed to the public. Not everyone can accomplish what you and I can do, smiley
Re: What Subject Can't Be Self-taught??? by AfricanApple(f): 10:26pm On Jun 03, 2015
Fulaman198:

That's really difficult and a tough question to answer.
the question its not just difficult, its not answerable. common, as a baby growing up, every blessed thing you do, like how to talk, walk, eat, we were taught, that's why you see that the everybody does their thing is unique because everyone was uniquely taught. if you came into this world to see people crawling, you will also crawl even though you gat legs because that's how you were being thought

so I think in the beginning, every subject needs a teacher or at least an instructor
Re: What Subject Can't Be Self-taught??? by AAinEqGuinea: 10:32pm On Jun 03, 2015
AfricanApple:
the question its not just difficult, its not answerable. common, as a baby growing up, every blessed thing you do, like how to talk, walk, eat, we were taught, that's why you see that the everybody does their thing is unique because everyone was uniquely taught. if you came into this world to see people crawling, you will also crawl even though you gat legs because that's how you were being thought

so I think in the beginning, every subject needs a teacher or at least an instructor

If a subject needs a teacher, who taught the original people?

If it took no one to teach the original people, then people aren't required to teach a subsequent population. Later generations, like the original people, could learn sciences and/or behaviors on their own.

1 Like

Re: What Subject Can't Be Self-taught??? by AfricanApple(f): 10:36pm On Jun 03, 2015
AAinEqGuinea:

If a subject needs a teacher, who taught the original people?

If it took no one to teach the original people, then people aren't required to teach a subsequent population. Later generations, like the original people, could learn sciences and/or behaviors on their own.
the angels taught them
Re: What Subject Can't Be Self-taught??? by Fulaman198(m): 10:51pm On Jun 03, 2015
AAinEqGuinea:

You said the needful before I could post. Once a person understands the basics, with dedication it is possible to learn everything else on your own. The smartest black people I knew (not from Africa) were all home schooled. Why can't college be taught in the same fashion? Self-paced and at home?

Fyi, I'm speaking specifically to being self-taught in the modern times, the digital age.

You are right, once you have learned the basics, everything can be learned on its own. That's why there are girls at age 10 doing Calculus and enrolling in University.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Opinion: University Of Jos Has The Best Library In West Africa (photo's) / Teach Yourself An IT Skill Today. Don't Depend On Your Certificate Alone! / Tecno Extends Giveaway To Nigerian Students Nationwide

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.