Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,305 members, 7,808,037 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:58 AM

Contradictions In The Bible - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Contradictions In The Bible (1508 Views)

101 Clear Contradictions In The Bible / 101 Contradictions In The Bible (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Contradictions In The Bible by babs787(m): 8:42am On Sep 15, 2006
Most christians believed that all holy books are being inspired so also the case of the bible. Inpired in the sense that it is being anchored by God through any of his servants. So, in a nutshell, if the bible is from God, there shouldn’t be any contradictions in it as promised by God in the Holy Quran in how to know His book (it mustn’t contain discrepancies). If the bible is being inspired, they should have written same things having been guided by God.Based on these, u will know that bible authors were not there when incidents happened, they copied each other. We shall see that later in my coming write ups.

So I ask my question again. To Christians for example, u preached to someone to accept your religion ands become a Christian, the person agreed. But when the person was going through his bible, he came across these discrepancies. He was confused and came to you for explanation. How will you bail him out based on the below and please I need an answer or explanation for every numbered discrepancies herein listed below:

CONTRADICTIONS

1. The Genealogy of Joseph or Jesus? (Compare Mathew and Luke. Mathew has 28 while Luke has 42 different names) which should we accept? Explain please

Mathew 1v18 Luke 3v23
S/No
1 David David
2 Solomon Solomon
3 rehoboam Mattatha
4 Abijah menna
5 Asa Melera
6 Jehosaphat Eliakim
7 Joram Jonam
8 Uzziah Joseph
9 Jotham Juda
10 Ahaz Simeon
11 Hezekiah Levi
12 Manasseh Matthat
13 Amos Jorim
14 Josiah Eliezer
15 Jechoniah Joshua
16 Altiel Er
17 Zerubbabel Elmadam
18 Abiud Cosam
19 Eliakim Addi
20 Azor Melchi
22 Zadok Neri
23 Achim Shealtiel
24 Eliud Zerubbabel
25 Eleazar Rhesa
26 Matthan Joanan
27 Jacob Joda
28 Josech Josech
29 jesus Semein
30 Matathias
31 Maati
31 Naggai
33 Esli
34 Nahuro
35 Amos
36 Mattathias
37 Joseph
38 Jannai
39 Melchi
40 Levi
41 Matthat
42 Heli
43 Joseph
44 jesus

QUESTION: PLS EXPLAIN THE DIFFERENCE IN THE LIST

2 CONTRADICTORY NAMES OF JESUS DISCIPLES

S/NO MATHEW 10V2 & MARK 3V16 LUKE 6V4
1 Simon the cananaan Simon called Peter
2 Simon called Peter Andrew hi brother
3 Andrew James son of Zabadee
4 James son of Zabadee John his brother
5 John Philip
6 Philip Bartholomew
7 Bartholomew Mathew the tax collector
8 Mathew Thomas
9 Thomas James son of Alphaus
10 James son of Thadaeus Simon the zealot
11 Lebaous called Thadaeus Judas the son of James
12 Judas the Iscariot Judas the Iscariot

NOTE: MATHEW & MARK ADD: LEBAOUS & SIMON THE CANANNAN BUT OMIT SIMEON THE ZEALOT AND JUDAH BROTHER OF JAMES WHILE LUKE ADDS SIMOEON THE ZEALOT AND JUDAH BROTHER OF JAMES AND OMIT LABAOUS & SIMEON CANANNAN.

SO PLS EXPLAIN WHY DIFFERENT NAMES.

3. WHO’S SON IS JOSEPH?

Mathew 1v16: joseph the carpenter is the son of Jacob.
Luke 3v23: Joseph the carpenter is the son of Heli.

QUESTION, WHICH DO WE ACCEPT?

4. HOW MANY DID JESUS APPEARED TO?

Ist Corinthians 15v5: Jesus appeared to the twelve (12) disciples after he rose
Mathew 28v16: Jesus appeared to eleven (11) disciples before he rose.

QUESTION: HOW MANY DID HE APPREAD TO/ EXPLAIN THE CHANGE PLS

5. IS JESUS RECORD/WITNESS TRUE OR NOT TRUE?

john 8v4: if I bear record of myself, yet my record is true
john 5v31: if I bear rwitness of myself, my witness is not true

QUESTION: SO WHICH ONE OF THE TWO

6. WHEN DID THE STORY OF THE FISHERMEN HAPPENED?

Luke 5v1: the story of the fishermen happened at the beginning of Jesus’ mission (see also Mathew 4v18).
John 21v1: the story of the fishermen happened after jesus was resurrected from the dead.

QUESTION: SO WHICH DO WE CHOOSE AND WHY?

7. WHEN DID JESUS PURIFIED THE TEMPLE?

Mathew 21v18: Jesus purified the temple from the sellers before he passed by the fig tree tree which he cursed.
Mark 11v12: Jesus purified the temple from the sellers after he passed by the fig tree.

QUESTION: SO WHEH DID HE PURIFIED?

8. WHO PROVOKED DAVID: SATAN OR GOD?

2nd Samuel 24v1: God provoked david against Israel and said go and number them
1st chronicles 21v1: satan provoked david against Israel and orderd him to go and number Israel.

QUESTION: WHO PROVOKED WHO?

9. HOW MANY CHARIOTS DID DAVID SLEW?

2nd Samuel 10v18: david slew 700 chariots of the Syrians
1st Chronicles 19v18: david slew 7000 chariots of the Syrians.

QUESTION: SO MANY DID HE ACTUALLY SLEW?

10. WHEN DID CRUCIFIXTION TOOK PLACE?

Mark 15v25: it was the third (3rd) hour and they crucified him
John 19v14: : it was the sixth (6th ) hour and he was not crucified him.

QUESTION:WHEN WAS JESUS CRUCIFIED?

11. WHO CARRIED THE CROSS OF JESUS?

Mathew 27v32: they compelled Simon to bear the cross of Jesus (see also Luke 23v26, mark 15v21)
John 19v17: jesus was bear his cross alone.

QUESTION: WHO CARRIED THE CROSS?”

12. WHAT DID THEY GIVE JESUS TO DRINK?

Mark 15v23: they gave him wine mingled with myrrh to drink.
Mathew 27 v34: they gave him vinegar mingled with gall to drink.

QUESTION; WHAT DID HE DRINK?

13. HOW MANY THIEVES INSULTED HIM/

Mathew 27v44: the two thieves who were crucified with him were insulting him
Luke 23v39: one of the thieves was reviling jesus and the other rebuked him (the other0 saying do you not fear God?

QUESTION: HOW MANY INSULTED JESUS?

14. NO ONE MAN HAS SEEN GOD

1st john 4v12: no man has ever seen God.
Gen 32v23: so Jacob called the name of the place Peniel, saying “for I have seen God face to face”.
Exodus 33v11: thus the Lord used to speak to Moses face to face.

QUESTION; HAS ANYONE SEEN GOD OR IS MOSES EXCLUDED FROM BEING A MAN?

15. HAS ANYONE ASCENDED TO HEAVEN?

John 3v13: no one has ascended to heaven
kings 2v11: Elijah went up by a whirl wind into heaven
2nd chorinthians 12v2-3: I know a man in Christ who fourteen years ago was caught up to the third heavens.
Hebrew 11v5: by faith Enoch (Idris) was taken up to heaven alive and not back on earth.
QUESTION; SO WHICH SIDE ARE YOU?

16. IS IT WHEN THERE IS NO LAW THERE IS NO SIN OR VICE VERSA?

Roman 4v15: where thee is no law there is no transgression
Roman 2v12: all who have sinned without law will also perish.

QUESTION: SO WHICH IS RIGHT?

17. WILL THE FATHER BE RESPONSIBLE FOR SON’S SINS?

Deutronomy 24v16: the fathers shall not be put to death for the children ………,
Ezekiel 18v20: …………nor the father suffer for the iniquity of the son……
Isaiah 14v21: prepare slaughter for his sons because the guilt of their fathers.

QUESTION: SO WHICH ONE DO WE ACCEPT?

18. IS ADULTERY ALLOWED?

Exodus 20v14: you shall not commit adultery
Hosea 1v2: the Lord said to Hosea “ go take to yourself a wife of harlotry.
Hosea 3v1: and the lord said to me, “go again, love a woman who is beloved of a paramour and is an adulteress.

QUESTION: WHICH OF THE ABOVE IS CORRECT WITH EXPLANATION PLS.

19. THE RIGHTEOUS DOES NOT FALL ILLS OR DO NOT?

Proverb 12v21: no ills befalls the righteous
Proverb 24 v16: for a righteous man falls seven times.

QUESTION; SO WHICH OF THE TWO IS CORRECT?

20. IS MAN MADE IN GOD’S IMAGE OR NON COMPARED OR LIKEN TO GOD?

Genesis 1v26-27: God said, let us make man in our own image.
Isaiah 46v5: to whom will you liken me and make me equal and compare me, that we may be alike.

QUESTION: PLS EXPLAIN.

FALSE CHARGES AGAINST JESUS “CONTRADICTIONS”

21. MUST WE STEAL OR NOT?

Exodus 20v15: you shall not steal
Mathew 12v1-4:, Luke 19v29-35: jesus disciples steal grains and jesus said David did so (steal).

QUESTION; IS STEALING ALLOWED?

22. CAN JESUS JUDGE?

John 5v22: the father judges no one, but has given all judgments to the son (jesus)
Psalm 50v6: the heavens declare his righteousness for God himself is judge.
Also check luke 12v4, john 12v47, john 8v15 are saying same thing.

QUESTION: IS JESUS OR GOD JUDGE?

23. CAN JESUS ASSURES SOMEONE HEAVEN?

John 14v3: when I go and prepare a place for you (heaven)
Mathew 20v20-23: to sit at my right hand and my left is not mine to grant, but it’s for those whom it has been prepared by my father.
Also john 5v30, mark 10v35.

QUESTION: WHICH ONE OF THE TWO?

24. WAS JESUS GIVEN THE THRONE OF HIS FATHER (DAVID)

Luke 1v31-32: and the Lord God will give to him the throne of his father David (in Jerusalem)
John 18v36: my kingship is not of this world.

QUESTION: WHICH DO WE ACCEPT?

25. DID JESUS ANSWER ALL PILATE’S QUESTIONS?

John 18v33-37: jesus gave answers to all the posers pilate put to him.
Mathew 27v13-14: , he gave him (pilate) no answer, not even to a single charge.

QUESTION: SO DID JESUS ANSWER OR NOT, EXPLAIN THE PASSAGE PLS.

26. WHAT DID JUDAS DO WITH THE MONEY GIVEN TO HIM?

Mathew 27v5-8: ……and throw down the money the pieces of selves in the temple…….
Acts 1v16-18: …, and he was allotted his sharing in his ministry. Judas bought a field with blood money written, (cursed everyone hanged on a tree).

QUESTION ; SO WHAT DID HE DO WITH THE MONEY?

27. DID THOSE THAT SAW JESUS TELL ANYBODY ANYTHING?

Mark 16v8: they said nothing to anyone, as they were afraid.
Luke 24v8-9: they told all this to the eleven. And they remembered his words.

28. DID THEY HOLD JESUS OR NOT?

Mathew 28v1-9: …. Come up and took hold of his feet and worship him.
John 20v16-17: jesus said to her, ‘ do not hold me?

QUESTION: WHICH DO WE ACCEPT.

Based on all these, I believe a sincere Christian will know and believe that the bible is riddled with contradictions. This goes a long way to say that, the book given to jesus (Torah) is not in existence. Most of the teachings has been expunged and tailored to suit jewish teachings. Also out of all the books of the new testament,paul after deceiving people of seeing God wrote like 27 books. He was against jesus jesus teachings and never saw jesus during his time, it was only Barnabas, who witnessed jesus teachings but his book was not included in the bible today because it told truth about jesus (sonship, blood atonement etc)(get a copy of the gospel of barnabas and read, very important). Also there are other books that were not included in the bible.

Based on the above, I want an honest Christian to do justice to all the numbered questions above.

Also watch out for the origin of bible, sonship of God, cruxifiction, who is paul etc
Re: Contradictions In The Bible by Drusilla(f): 4:42am On Sep 17, 2006
babs,

Moses, Joshua, King David, and many others never had a bible to follow as a handbook and they still walked and talked with God.

If you believe that being a Christian and hearing from God and a perfect manual with no contradictions and mistakses is what is required to walk with God and be a Christian.

Then you are in a world of trouble.

God is alive and well and He does not require any writing to save a soul.

As to some of your so called Contraditions, there is a very good site that goes through each one of them from a Christian point of view.

www.carm.org
Re: Contradictions In The Bible by babs787(m): 1:16pm On Sep 18, 2006
drusilla.

u claimed it was inspired. was contradictions part of inspiration. or how could an inspired book contain contradictions.

assuming u have a new convert and he came acrss those disacrepancies, is that how you would explain to him. how could a verse be saying no and another saying yes, which should we accept?

christians mind had been programmed and no amount of truth will ever change their mind except those that God want to save. this programming has made them not to ponder over their bible and discover the discrepancies themselves.
Re: Contradictions In The Bible by BrownEyes4(f): 7:19pm On Sep 18, 2006
@Babs

Are you a Muslim then or you a free thinker?
Re: Contradictions In The Bible by kokoletz(m): 8:44pm On Sep 18, 2006
O boy I will b having my exam tomorrow so now no comment but hope you
Re: Contradictions In The Bible by Backslider(m): 4:00pm On Sep 20, 2006
@ babs787

I dont know your orientation but there is not a single contracdiction at all is in the bible. look at the bible very well why is that we had account of 4 gospel in a bible why is that we have chronicle of the kings and that of KINGS we know that people have account of events and because of wrong mathematical perception and names given same person.

my brother is there any book of those times 2000 years ago that you can read now ? do you have other account that you can use to compare it. the mathematical or nomenclature may not be clear to us but in the context of what the inspired individual writer saw is what they wrote down and it did nt have any moral missdirection.

If the bible says someone did something evil does that mean that God is evil it an account and his children know the meaning. When the person that made nuclear bomb made it he may have probably did not know it will kill people of the measure but it was released for Goodness and it was used for evil does that make the maker of the H Bomb evil completely.

You must understand that God wrote through the feeble hands of men and only his Children know the intent of God Just be ready to meet him . dont be weighed and found wanting it is a terible thing to fall in the hands of his maker.
Re: Contradictions In The Bible by babs787(m): 4:44pm On Sep 20, 2006
backslider. u claimed there is no contradiction. what is this

WHO’S SON IS JOSEPH?

HOW MANY DID JESUS APPEARED TO?

WHEN DID JESUS PURIFIED THE TEMPLE?

Mathew 21v18: Jesus purified the temple from the sellers before he passed by the fig tree tree which he cursed.
Mark 11v12: Jesus purified the temple from the sellers after he passed by the fig tree.

WHAT DID THEY GIVE JESUS TO DRINK?

WHEN DID CRUCIFIXTION TOOK PLACE?

ETC

explain the above pls
Re: Contradictions In The Bible by babs787(m): 5:01pm On Sep 20, 2006
backslider. this is quranic quotation for verification

Quran 4v82: do they not then consider(reflect/ponder) the Quran carefully? Had it been from other than Allah (God/Ellah/Chineke/Olorun/Osanobua etc), they would surely have FOUND THEREIN MANY A CONTRADICTION.

SO EXPLAIN WHY THE DIFFERENCE IN THE BIBLE (GOD'S WORD)
Re: Contradictions In The Bible by HomieNick: 1:18pm On Oct 08, 2006
It was strange that I knew some of these right off.

Anyways, people have different names in the bible because they actually meant something. Some have one name, and then later are named something other because of a life change. It's always something that has changed in them.

Look, the bible can NOT be understood by reading one verse, you have to read ALL AROUND it to fully understand what it meant.

The bible was written originally in greek, there are 4 or 5 words for the word "love" in greek. One means a brotherly love, one, a love between a man and women, etc etc, It was a more precise language, The whole 700 and 7000 deal, i've heard that one before, and yes, you're right, it says the same thing in some translations, others have corrected this, i can't remember the exact translation that did, but I know that it says 700 chariots, and then later it spoke of charioters or something like that, which was 10 chariots, sorry about my loss of words, i haven't heard of this one for a long time.

The bible has no contridictions, go into a bible book store and ask for a book that explains the supposid contradictions in the bible. It will explain it in context, with greek to help you understand it. Translating a book from a language so exact as to the meaning of each word, to another language with more general terms for words, is difficult. We have 1 word for love, love. You can say "i love you" to your friend, or your mother, or your brother, or you can say "i love her", but who is "her?" in greek, the word "love" would be specified to exactly what type of love, the love between a man and his wife, compared to a man and his best friend, is very different.

Lots of people take scripture out of context.

Read the parable of the fig tree, Jesus always compared the fig tree to isreal, he spoke of how the fig tree would die off, and then later rebloom, strange, isreal died off in 70AD(i believe that's it, I could be completely wrong on the year), none the less, it died off by the hand of the romans, what happened in 1948? isreal became a nation again, the only nation in world history to die off and come back again, strange? no, prophecy, what about all the arab countries to attack isreal that day, and how amazing it was that isreal kicked ass, ya, it was pretty amazing,

either way, the Lord lives. Jesus Christ, who died for the sins of you, and me, and the world. There is no falacy in Him, or His word. He is the begining, and the end.

it's like you, standing on railroad tracks, with a train speeding towards you at 60 mph, whether or not you believe that trains exist, it's going to hit you. You can wish it away as hard as you can, till blood trickles from your pores, but it's going to hit you, it's going to hit, eternity is close, Jesus said that the generation that sees the fig tree blossum will see His return. He said it will become like the days of soddom and gomorah(terrible spelling, sorry), look around, gay marriage being legalized?

In the bible it speaks of a country attacking isreal in the end time, as the enemy of isreal draws near, they are killed before they can hit the ground. it speaks of their eyeballs withering up, and their skin turning black, and they die before they could hit the ground,

The neutron bomb, is an extreme blast of radiation, it's a "non destructive" bomb that doesn't destroy land or houses, it simply releases so much radiation, that a persons eyes wither up, and their skin turns black, they die before they can hit the ground.

I believe it's peter(not positive though) who describes seeing a vision of a mountain being thrown into an ocean, doesn't that remind you of a nuke? back then, i'm sure that was his best at describing something like a nuke,

basically, The Lord Rules, prophecy is coming true, more and more all the time, You can't deny it.

The lord died, the lord rose, and we will too, soon. We are the last generation.
Re: Contradictions In The Bible by HomieNick: 1:23pm On Oct 08, 2006
oh please, is someone supporting allah? That's ridiculous, oh geez I can't even go into this. The entire book is a falacy. The followers of Allah did that nice little deal on the twin towers, ya, good job, WHAT A GOD!!!
Re: Contradictions In The Bible by Bobbyaf(m): 6:43am On Oct 09, 2006
Babs you need to make a distinction between the original autographs, and what we now have as various translations. The bible is a compilation of different books written by different authors accross different periods of time.

Don't confuse translations with the original autographs. What Moses, David, Solomon, Jeremiah, and others wrote were accurate as far as humanly possible. The conditions under which they wrote were not perfect, and God was very much aware of all those factors when He chose to inspire His people.

Whatever gave you the idea that inspiration was to be carried out under ideal conditions I am not sure, but sinful minds were inspired, or enlightened, becasue those minds could not communicate directly with God. Sin stood as a barrier.

Now as to the concept of inspiration, let me try in my own words to explain what it is. It is the transfer of God's thoughts to the minds of men who were chosen to be used as a vessel for such thoughts. These thoughts or ideas were to reveal to fallen man what God's will and instructions were as it related to salvation. Inspiration is never a transfer of words because that would make it out to be dictation. Dictation means transmitting word for word. Inspiration means thought transmission that will be left up to the writer's own unique style of transmission. That is why different authors expressed themselves in different ways. What Matthew stressed, Mark chose not to, but it doesn't mean that both men introduced contradictions due to distinctive styles.

Now we have a problem. God is holy and perfect, yet man is sinful. How could a perfect and holy God attempt to make us understand effectively what He wanted for us to understand? Would the mind of man be prepared for such ideas?

Inspiration provided the balance. That process enabled the mind of man to work in such a way, that it would not infringe upon his personality. In other words humans were not now expected to be suddenly perfect because God decided to use them. God simply enlightened their minds, without altering their personality. Hence, some of these men still commited grave acts, and sin while being used by God. God inspired them inspite of them, because He loved them, and wanted to give us an opportunity to partake in the process of salvation.

In closing I will agree that there has been a few difficult translations. The percentage is small. The best formula is to compare as many of them as possible and go with the weight of evidence. Another approach to take is to compare all translations with the original autographs. If we come accross a text, that seems difficult, then the rule of thumb is to go back to the context, and cultural backdrop under which such a statement by a writer could have come.

Peace.
Re: Contradictions In The Bible by babs787(m): 1:27pm On Oct 09, 2006
Bobbyaf,
thanks for the response. but i want us to apply the above verse to the issue. it is what the owner of the holy books in order to know his book

Quran 4v82: do they not then consider(reflect/ponder) the Quran carefully? Had it been from other than Allah (God/Ellah/Chineke/Olorun/Osanobua etc), they would surely have FOUND THEREIN MANY A CONTRADICTIONS.

Now based on the above, can God tell an author five and in another chapter seven, thats confusion, but the book of Isaiah made u known that God is not of confusiion.

now with all sincerity, if u come across the below, which one will u choose and why

WHO’S SON IS JOSEPH?

which one is correct? and why

also

HOW MANY DID JESUS APPEARED TO?

WHEN DID JESUS PURIFIED THE TEMPLE?

WHAT DID THEY GIVE JESUS TO DRINK?

WHEN DID CRUCIFIXTION TOOK PLACE?

in all honesty, the Quran has been in existence for more than 1400 years and wont find things like the above.

conclusively,

the bible contains words of God, words of men, words of prophets, irrelevant words etc. quote me wrong.

am not trying to condemn your book but bring out the truth cos i believe in the all the revelations sent right from Abraham to Jesus.

but how do you explain the above to a new convert?

(1) (Reply)

Help! I Wish To Know If Trully Homosexuality Is A Sin / Black Magic! Does It Exist? / The Cost Of Going All The Way With God By David Wilkerson

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.