Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,997 members, 7,803,313 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:34 PM

Android M: All 55 New Features - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Android M: All 55 New Features (3129 Views)

Whatsapp Amazing New Features For Recalling Your Messages / Chinese Invent Clone Of Iphone 7 - 4gb RAM, 258gb Internal Memory, Android M. / Whatsapp Rolls Out New Features (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Android M: All 55 New Features by killzone(m): 6:50am On May 29, 2015
Apart from the 6 key improvements in Android M - app permissions, web experience, app links, mobile payments, fingerprint support, and power and charging - there is a lot of interesting stuff that Google just couldn't show at the event, or it would have become a marathon for the viewers.
This, however, shouldn't stop us from looking and trying to decipher all the novelty in Android M starting with what Google itself has highlighted as important new features. We counted a total of 55 new features, and we plan on trying to understand each one of them, starting with the most important ones. Let's go.
Major new Android M features
#1: Easy word selection and floating clipboard toolbar
"Finally," someone in the crowd at Google I/O shouted when software head David Burke announced that Android M brings improved word selection and a new clipboard toolbar. Currently, you have a bar of obscure icons at the top when selecting text and that is changing to a floating window that appears alongside your selection (a much more logical place) and features clear and concise buttons rather than obscure icons: 'cut', 'copy', and 'paste' is what the buttons say. Word selection is now also improved as you can select jumping word by word, or character by character.
#2: Fingerprint sensor support
Finally, Google is building a standard API for fingerprint support that - it seems - apps can make use of, and it will be a unified way for phone manufacturers to encode support for fingerprint scanners, knowing that they are compatible with the new Android Pay NFC-based system.
#3: Direct Share
Sharing on Android is by far the best of any mobile operating system, but it's still far from perfect. When you have a bunch of apps installed, you end up with a huge list of sharing options that is extremely frustrating to operate. Direct Share in Android M fixes that by prioritizing and putting first the options that you use the most and that are the most logical for that particular item.
#4: Doze
Doze is a deeper state of sleep, especially useful for Android devices like tablets that spend a lot of time laying idle on a night stand, only to be picked up at night. By hybernating apps and allowing only for alarms and priority notifications to stay awake, Android M brings significant improvements to standby battery life, extending it up to twice on a Nexus 9 unit that Google tested.
#5: Simplified volume controls
If it ain't broken, don't fix it. Google, however, did try to fix the non-broken volume controls in KitKat, and that resulted in an outcry from users frustrated with volume controls in Android 5 Lollipop. So, it was time to fix what has been fixed: volume controls are now again granular, with separate control for ringer volume, alarm volume, and media volume. Finally!
#6: Google Now 'On Tap'
Google Now is getting contextually aware in Android M. What does that mean? With the new Google Now 'On Tap' feature, your voice searches will be recognized contextually within an app. Say, you have the music player on, you can fire up voice search and ask something like "what year was this recorded?", and the search will understand that 'this' refers to the song. Neat!
#7: Auto backup for apps (link to Android developers)
The Android system in M will automatically make a full data backup and restore for apps. This is something that is done for apps targeting M by default, with no need for developers to code in anything. If users delete their Google accounts, their backup data is deleted as well. Automatic backups happen every 24 hours, when the device is idle, charging, AND connected to a Wi-Fi network. This way, when you upgrade to a new device, or wipe clean a device, you can restore easily and pain-free.
#8: Contextual assist framework
#9: Secure token storage APIs
#10: Setup wizard: IMAP sign-in
#11: App Standby
#12: Flex storage
less important android m features
› ›
1. Data Usage API for work profiles
2. Bluetooth SAP
3. Voice interaction service
4. App link verification
5. Text selection actions
6. Unified app settings view
7. Corporate owned single use device support
8. Improved trusted face reliability
9. New runtime permissions
10. Google Now Launcher app suggestions
11. 5GHz portable Wi-Fi hotspot
12. Seven additional languages
1. Work contacts in personal contexts
2. Hotspot 2.0
3. VPN apps in settings
4. Duplex Printing
5. Seamless certificate installation for Enterprise
6. Undo/Redo keyboard shortcuts
7. Do Not Disturb automatic rules
8. Material design support library
9. Android Pay
10. USB Type C charging
11. Battery historian v2
12. BT 4.2
13. Improved bluetooth low-energy scanning
14. Improved text hyphenation & justification
15. Improved diagnostics in systrace
16. IT admin acceptance of OTAs
17. Chrome custom tabs
18. UI Toolkit
19. Enterprise factory reset protection
20. Do not disturb quick settings and repeat caller prioritization
21. Improved text layout performance
22. Alphabetic app list with search
23. Stylus support
24. UI toolkit performance improvements
25. Unified Google settings and device settings
26. Work status notifications
27. MIDI support
28. Bluetooth connectivity for device provisioning
29. Power improvements in Wi-Fi scanning
30. Data binding support library Beta
31. Delegated certificate installation

Re: Android M: All 55 New Features by tohpahz(f): 7:36am On May 29, 2015
Android M is here..
And I'm still on kitkat
This people should fear God oo.

6 Likes

Re: Android M: All 55 New Features by Nobody: 9:11am On May 29, 2015
Only for Samsung and the big companies

Tecno, infinix, innjoo and the rest might not even produce Android L talk less of M

3 Likes

Re: Android M: All 55 New Features by stonemind(f): 9:11am On May 29, 2015
So android m is on its way where by tecno is still romancing KitKat? Hmmmm
Re: Android M: All 55 New Features by lanre316: 9:18am On May 29, 2015
tohpahz:
Android M is here..
And I'm still on kitkat

Yours is even better. I'm still stuck on jellybean. That stvpid tecno has refused to upgrade my phone for the past two years.

2 Likes

Re: Android M: All 55 New Features by lanre316: 9:21am On May 29, 2015
lilbest4:

Tecno, infinix, innjoo and the rest might not even produce Android L talk less of M

But why? What would it cost them to use Android Lollipop.
Re: Android M: All 55 New Features by Nobody: 9:24am On May 29, 2015
lanre316:

But why? What would it cost them to use Android Lollipop.
just saying though. They will produce it with reduced features else the phone will die (due to poor hardware)

2 Likes

Re: Android M: All 55 New Features by tohpahz(f): 9:41am On May 29, 2015
lanre316:

Yours is even better. I'm still stuck on jellybean. That stvpid tecno has refused to upgrade my phone for the past two years.

U still use tecno embarassed
Re: Android M: All 55 New Features by Boomboost(m): 10:14am On May 29, 2015
Seems Chinese companies are slow in upgrading their phones. This android M seems plain and uncolorful.
Re: Android M: All 55 New Features by lanre316: 10:52am On May 29, 2015
tohpahz:

U still use tecno embarassed

Yes o, my sister. Though I planned to buy infinix hot note pro very soon, as soon as I sell off this phantom a plus I'm using.
Re: Android M: All 55 New Features by tohpahz(f): 11:10am On May 29, 2015
lanre316:

Yes o, my sister. Though I planned to buy infinix hot note pro very soon, as soon as I sell off this phantom a plus I'm using.

Please do oo.. tecno no dey try at all..
Re: Android M: All 55 New Features by Ay92(m): 11:25am On May 29, 2015
Kitkat is not fully functional on my tecno m3,half of the features are not working. I'm yet to see a phone that runs on Android lollipop and now they're bringing out M.
Tomorrow will surely be great for me
Re: Android M: All 55 New Features by swisscarter(m): 1:01pm On May 29, 2015
Already upgraded to lollipop from KitKat.... I hope we also get android M update.....from the features stated above android M is just like android L only with little added features.

I thought it'll be entirely different from L....
Re: Android M: All 55 New Features by ojezee(m): 1:06pm On May 29, 2015
lanre316:

I ought to report u ,how would u b using one phone 4 2 years.
Re: Android M: All 55 New Features by slinkman(m): 1:17pm On May 29, 2015
the only thing i dislike about the android m is the app drawer, other than that, it is a great innovation.. i am on the lollipop 5.1 , htc
Re: Android M: All 55 New Features by Nobody: 1:20pm On May 29, 2015
lilbest4:

That why am not buying any of the again till at least there is a good variety of custom rom.
Re: Android M: All 55 New Features by lanre316: 1:46pm On May 29, 2015
ojezee:
I ought to report u ,how would u b using one phone 4 2 years.

Lol. Cos it's still functional and nothing wrong with it other than I was bored with it. cheesy
Re: Android M: All 55 New Features by lilmax(m): 3:21pm On May 29, 2015
No free browsing? Smh
Re: Android M: All 55 New Features by Oahray: 3:22pm On May 29, 2015
When I never even feel lolipop? What's the hurry?
Re: Android M: All 55 New Features by Avatar(m): 5:01pm On May 29, 2015
tohpahz:
Android M is here..
And I'm still on kitkat
Blame it on your device's manufacturer grin

1 Like

Re: Android M: All 55 New Features by tohpahz(f): 5:28pm On May 29, 2015

Blame it on your device's manufacturer grin
Which do u use.. tell mi gionee and watch me cry cry
Re: Android M: All 55 New Features by Collinz2(m): 6:16pm On May 29, 2015
microsoft's windows and apple's ios in trouble

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Android M: All 55 New Features by carlcar2012(f): 8:02pm On May 29, 2015
lanre316:

guy same here. tecno fa
Re: Android M: All 55 New Features by nani667: 8:14pm On May 29, 2015
Well... I've used 5.0, 5.0.2, 5.1, and now I'm currently running the latest 5.1.1.. Upgraded to that 24 hours after twas released... Waiting for Android M cool
Re: Android M: All 55 New Features by Nobody: 8:49pm On May 29, 2015
nani667:
Well... I've used 5.0, 5.0.2, 5.1, and now I'm currently running the latest 5.1.1.. Upgraded to that 24 hours after twas released... Waiting for Android M cool
nexus 5?
Re: Android M: All 55 New Features by hawksford: 9:39pm On May 29, 2015
Looking forward
Re: Android M: All 55 New Features by Nobody: 11:15pm On May 29, 2015
krall3:
nexus 5?

Think he's on Note 3. cool
Re: Android M: All 55 New Features by Karleb(m): 8:31am On May 30, 2015
lanre316:

grin grin grin grin

Why don't you flash custom rom?
Re: Android M: All 55 New Features by zenith4biz(m): 8:46am On May 30, 2015
Remind me when Android M custom rom os available for Tecno H6
Re: Android M: All 55 New Features by lanre316: 9:37am On May 30, 2015
Karleb:

grin grin grin grin

Why don't you flash custom rom?

I've not seen any custom ROM for tecno phantom a plus. The MIUI ROM I flashed contained lots of bugs.
Re: Android M: All 55 New Features by maxjax(m): 9:46am On May 30, 2015
uhmm tho stil flexin ma 5.1.1 custom rom
so is android M gonna b version 6.0?
Re: Android M: All 55 New Features by Nobody: 10:02am On May 30, 2015
Currently rocking my own compile lollipop 5.0.1 on my oppo n1.

Seriously waiting for M

(1) (2) (Reply)

Infinix Hot Note Vs Samsung Galaxy S5 / Who Has Phone For Sale / Hacks On N95 31.0.017 Firm Ware

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.