Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,964 members, 7,806,791 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:19 AM

Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie - Family (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie (47293 Views)

I Think I Think Too Much... Is This Normal?? / Please Help My Friend Save A Strong Woman / My Friend Engaged In A Remarkable Way To A Gorgeous Woman See Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by Nobody: 5:17am On May 31, 2015
all4naija:
Sorry to say your point is flawed a little bit. You are trying to say because one is more qualified than the other we shouldn't look into the facts the other has to present.

Meanwhile, not if the source you are supporting to be unbiased uses factor that is largely based on interruption and leave by hourly pay system. Why does it matter any way if there is no discrimination? Let me give you an analogy - if both male and female are paid $5 per an hour there is no pay gap or discrimination there even if the woman decided to take a leave for some reason best known to her because that is her decision not from discrimination. That is not the case here. The male co-worker is being payed a little more than her, maybe $6 per an hour while the female worker is pay $5 per an hour. That is what I am pointing to you exist in some industry, most especially, in the tech.

It's not necessarily about qualification. Is the author's point of view objective and impartial? Is the language free of emotion-arousing words and bias?.

In the 'abortion causes cancer' example I gave earlier, this source: Anti-Abortion Organisation of Nigeria is obviously biased as you can tell from the organisation name that they are anti-abortion, so they are likely to cherry-pick statistics/information that supports their claim that abortion is bad.
The second source: Medical Association of Nigeria is a scientific organisation and they are more likely to use completely neutral, scientific, factual, well-researched information.

In the same vein, an article by the 'American Association of University Women' for example, is more likely to cherry-pick information biased in favour of women than an article by 'Pew Research Centre'.

Besides, I'm a computer scientist. I'm yet to see the 'sexism' I was warned vehemently about. The tech industry is probably the most welcoming(?) industry.

4 Likes

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by lavatoz(f): 5:27am On May 31, 2015
FrancisTony:

She's married
*like francistony would say* Awon NL frustrated males have come again and they'll explode over her speech. grin They think any feminist is a single, frustrated woman who hates men tongue

5 Likes

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by Nobody: 5:30am On May 31, 2015
Velocitron:

It's not necessarily about qualification. Is the author's point of view objective and impartial? Is the language free of emotion-arousing words and bias?.

In the 'abortion causes cancer' example I gave earlier, this source: Anti-Abortion Organisation of Nigeria is obviously biased as you can tell from the organisation name that they are anti-abortion, so they are likely to cherry-pick statistics/information that supports their claim.
The second source: Medical Association of Nigeria is a scientific organisation and they are more likely to use completely neutral, scientific, factual, well-researched information.

Besides, I'm a computer scientist. I'm yet to see the 'sexism' I was warned vehemently about. The tech industry is probably the most welcoming(?) industry.

There you go again. You just proved one is more qualified than the other because one uses some means to extrapolate information while the other doesn't but speculates with biased intentions. Do you agree with me it is about qualification?

The Anti-abortion of Nigeria and Medical Association of Nigeria comparison is a little different when applied to this situation because those who have be discriminated against put forward information to address the situation and find solution. It is yielding some results for present generation.It is only a matter of time before it's balanced on a fair ground. You are the only person I have seen to disagree there is gender pay gap discrimination in the developed countries.

However, you refuse to provide insight into why the group you claim to be unbiased hasn't given the reason why such a scenario of hourly pay is described as a cause when there is no difference there at all. I would refer you to reread the part with the analogy in my prior post.

You are computer scientist doesn't mean you know what is happening in all tech industries.
Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by missterious(f): 5:31am On May 31, 2015
JoeCutie:
shocked shocked shocked

In that case, I love feminists. Please, I'd like you to be a feminist. A great one. I can sponsor you all the way if you want me to. What will it take to be one? cheesy

Smh. You know you need help abi? tongue

1 Like

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by Nobody: 5:39am On May 31, 2015
all4naija:

There you go again. You just proved one is more qualified than the other because one uses some means to extrapolate information while the other doesn't but speculates with biased intentions. Do you agree with me it is about qualification?

The Anti-abortion of Nigeria and Medical Association Nigeria comparison is a little different when applied to this situation because those who have be discriminated against put forward information to address the situation and find solution. It is yielding some result for present generation.It is only a matter of time before balanced on a fair ground. You are the only person I have seen to disagree there is gender pay gap discrimination in the developed countries.

However, you refuse to provide insight into why the group you claim to be unbiased hasn't given the reason why such a scenario of hourly pay is described as a cause when there is no difference there at all. I would refer you to reread the part with the analogy in my prior post.

Anecdotal evidence (definition: evidence based on personal observation, case study reports, or random investigations rather than systematic scientific evaluation) isn't proof of anything. Not disregarding the fact that true discrimination occurs, but just because a person claimed they were discriminated against doesn't mean they actually were. Many other factors can come into play.

Don't think you saw this part:

Roughly four-in-ten mothers say they have taken a significant amount of time off from work (39%) or reduced their work hours (42%) to care for a child or other family member. Roughly a quarter (27%) say they have quit work altogether to take care of these familial responsibilities.

2 Likes

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by lavatoz(f): 5:42am On May 31, 2015
smileysmiles:

"They say" men dont or "Men dont" give them the chance?
In all honesty do you think if buhari was a woman with all his experience and good qualities and al that APC would have made him their presidential candidate?

Can you homestly say nigeria is in a state where Men will vote women as presidents ( evenwhen they are fully qualified)? If your answr is NO.. it raises the question ; why??

GBAM! Some men even say they'll rather die than let a woman rule Nigeria cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by Nobody: 5:47am On May 31, 2015
Velocitron:

Anecdotal evidence (definition: evidence based on personal observation, case study reports, or random investigations rather than systematic scientific evaluation) isn't proof of anything. Not disregarding the fact that true discrimination occurs, but just because a person claimed they were discriminated against doesn't mean they actually were. Many other factors can come into play.

Don't think you saw this part:

Roughly four-in-ten mothers say they have taken a significant amount of time off from work (39%) or reduced their work hours (42%) to care for a child or other family member. Roughly a quarter (27%) say they have quit work altogether to take care of these familial responsibilities.
Bwahaha... You keep begging the question. Didn't you see where I said it is yielding results? You are turning a blind eye to the nitty gritty of this societal discrimination while it really exist.

Nevertheless, you keep pointing me to something that has been addressed before. You too also forget some men do take leave and interrupt their works only in lesser form from the same source you quoted. That is not the complete truth of the matter though,there is conscious discrimination on gender differences regarding pay gap you refuse to accept existing.

2 Likes

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by Nobody: 5:51am On May 31, 2015
I do not agree with her, there are several magazines. In fact about 70% of all romantic material focus on how to understand and therefore, please women. She is biased.

1 Like

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by Nobody: 5:55am On May 31, 2015
lavatoz:

*like francistony would say* Awon NL frustrated males have come again and they'll explode over her speech. grin They think any feminist is a single, frustrated woman who hates men tongue
Both sexes spy on each other. I guess, it is natural! grin grin cheesy
Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by repogirl(f): 5:55am On May 31, 2015
missterious:

Lol. Yeah. It's just like an accepted African norm for ladies to strive towards marriage & men to strive towards wealth. Personally, I'd rather be rich than married if I had to choose. lipsrsealed
and when you are sick and need comfort, I guess your money will comfort you.

When you are lonely and your body is in need of some you know what, I guess your money will do that for you.

When you need advice or to have interesting conversations with someone, guess your money will do that for you.

When you feel the need to procreate and have cute little descendants of yours and then bring them up in the right way, I guess your money will do that for you.

When you need someone to boost your ego or morale when you're feeling unsure bout yourself, I guess your money will do that for you.

Lastly when you leave this world, who will miss you dearly, speak touching eulogies about you and keep your memory dear to their hearts. I guess your money will do that for you.

Our most important treasures in this world is our time, what we do with it and then our relationships. Everyone should aspire toward wealth and prosperity, but should not lose sight of what is really important. Because the really important things make life worth living.

Now on to the topic;

Well, I don't know Chimamanda's upbringing was but I was never brought me up to see myself as a lower being to give respect when it is needed but definitely not to be walked all over.

Nobody can put you in a place you don't want to be, sometimes as a woman, you deal with some men that have warped thinking, agreed but doesn't mean the world has put you in a corner.

Times are changing, for centuries, women have been homemakers mostly instead of career women but that was what was needed at the time. Now the economy has changed and like it or not, women have to also contribute their quota to their upkeep and family finances. I believe, like it or not, we are a constantly evolving race and with time, these things will change naturally.

All this you must not let people put you here or there is just not worth it to me, some people are malleable naturally and they will be that way whether you preach feminsm to them throughout eternity.

Women should not shenk important responsibilities because of this feminism crap. You can be an awesome career woman, awesome wife and an awesome mother all at once.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by Nobody: 5:56am On May 31, 2015
all4naija:
Bwahaha... You keep begging the question. Didn't you see where I said it is yielding results? You are turning a blind eye to the nitty gritty of this societal discrimination while it really exist.

Nevertheless, you keep pointing me to something that has been addressed before. You too also forget some men do take leave and interrupt their works only in lesser form from the same source you quoted. That is not the complete truth of the matter though,there is conscious discrimination on gender differences regarding pay gap you refuse to accept exist.

Look, this is getting exhausting. Just to make sure we're on the same page, I'm 100000% for gender equality. I'm a woman myself, why would I think any man is better than me simply by just being a man?

I just think modern feminism or third-wave feminism has been sidetracked into making women victims of circumstance rather than empowering them and helping those really in need, like women whose faces are being mutilated with acid for fleeing from abusive husbands or victims of FGM etc. Those are real issues not 'my uncle didn't let me break kolanut when I was a child'.

14 Likes

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by Nobody: 5:59am On May 31, 2015
repogirl:

Now on to the topic;

Well, I don't know Chimamanda's upbringing was but I was never brought me up to see myself as a lower being to give respect when it is needed but definitely not to be walked all over.

Nobody can put you in a place you don't want to be, sometimes as a woman, you deal with some men that have warped thinking, agreed but doesn't mean the world has put you in a corner.

Times are changing, for centuries, women have been homemakers mostly instead of career women but that was what was needed at the time. Now the economy has changed and like it or not, women have to also contribute their quota to their upkeep and family finances. I believe, like it or not, we are a constantly evolving race and with time, these things will change naturally.

All this you must not let people put you here or there is just not worth it to me, some people are malleable naturally and they will be that way whether you preach feminsm to them throughout eternity.

Women should not shenk important responsibilities because of this feminism crap. You can be an awesome career woman, awesome wife and an awesome mother all at once.

You're awesome just for saying that wink

1 Like

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by Menace2Society(m): 6:00am On May 31, 2015
FrancisTony:

I have enough testosterone, so, thank you.

But, wait, if you believe a male can actually secrete excess oestrogen than testosterone and still claim male gayism is unnatural, isn't it contradictory?.

Choose one? grin
Snitch undecided
Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by Nobody: 6:01am On May 31, 2015
Velocitron:

Look, this is getting exhausting. Just to make sure we're on the same page, I'm 100000% for gender equality. I'm a woman myself, why would I think any man is better than me simply by just being a man?

I just think modern feminism or third-wave feminism has been sidetracked into making women victims of circumstance rather than empowering women and helping those really in need, like women whose faces are being mutilated with acid for fleeing from abusive husbands or victims of FGM etc. Those are real issues not 'my uncle was rude to me when I was a child'.
There is a wave of radical feminists out there who are giving women bad names. Those are the types I am against. I am also in support of gender equality and that applies to both sexes to be treated equally. Whether you are a boy or a girl there is supposed not to be an avenue to discriminate on what individual can achieve by holding them back from having opportunities. I am an advocate of gender equality.
Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by ONESS: 6:02am On May 31, 2015
[quote author=FrancisTony post=34239515][/quote]wished everyone knows this especially the women who twists, bends, squeeze, themselves and bleach their skin to get attention and be liked by men.
Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by Menace2Society(m): 6:03am On May 31, 2015
lavatoz:

GBAM! Some men even say they'll rather die than let a woman rule Nigeria cheesy
I won't die but I will surely go on exile undecided
Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by Nobody: 6:05am On May 31, 2015
Velocitron:

The world all rather society put some women in corners. You have to travel around the world to understand that, most especially, in the Islamic countries. Yousafzai Malala is a good example of what I am driving at or talking about.
Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by DrGroove(f): 6:06am On May 31, 2015
Cutehector:
Feminist! No wonder she isn't married...
Lol.She is HAPPILY married. No be today... To a very responsible reasonable man..
Go and hang yourself!
Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by femi4: 6:06am On May 31, 2015
kelechiMarie:
This thread gon be interesting.
I do not always agree with chimamanda but you can't take away the fact that's she's intelligent,smart and i do love her#nohomo. I'm with her on this one.
I disagree with her.
Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by repogirl(f): 6:08am On May 31, 2015
Velocitron:

lol, thanks I also liked your last point below mine.
Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by emzila(m): 6:08am On May 31, 2015
missclasssy:
She is correct.

Women have for a long time been made to feel that being powerful, being an authoritative figure or being in a positions of power isn't their right so when such happens it becomes seen as a remarkable thing, as something exceptional.

The political social and religious structures of the world have belittled the feminine gender into being seen as nothing but second to the male gender.
Men are seen as leaders, while women are seen as followers. Men are seen as rulers , while women are seen as helpers and supporters.
Men are seen as strong, while women are seen as weak.

Women are taught silence, while men are taught to speak.
Women are taught to serve men, to obey men, not to talk back at men and a lot of bullshit.
Most of our religious institutions especially ones like Islam, and christianity have a huge role to play in all this through their customs, doctrines and stories.

This has created a default mentality towards what women are supposed to be, So when people see a confident powerful woman, they become amazed. They see her as extraordinary.

Women need to see themselves differently from what they have been told and forced to believe.
whenever u are confused as to where u are going, then ask yourself of where u were coming from and u may just find d direction you need. From the first day of woman, she has been created to be a helper to the man on assignment. An attempt to change this is disputing God's wisdom.
Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by Nobody: 6:12am On May 31, 2015
All this talk of women roles really bores the crap out of me. James Brown said it well. It's a man's world but it would be nothing without a woman.
I Will always be the man as long as I make money, I'm required to protect my woman and my family, provide for them , in-carge of their welfare
and look out for them.You can come online and talk all the crap you want all day. Its a mans world always has been and always will be. If you want to be respected then earn it. No one respects or gives freebies to anybody cos Ure a man or a woman. If Ure a man and act like a biitch you will be treated like a biitch. If you are a woman and you are able to work hard you will reap the rewards.

1 Like

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by Nobody: 6:13am On May 31, 2015
repogirl:
lol, thanks I also liked your last point below mine.
Which of the points are you talking about?

Thank you.
Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by Nobody: 6:13am On May 31, 2015
all4naija:
The world all rather society put some women in corners. You have to travel around the world to understand that, most especially, in the Islamic countries. Yousafzai Malala is a good example of what I am driving at or talking about.

I agree, but that's where the controversy lies now. It's a cultural norm for them. Who are we to say that someone else's culture is wrong? It wasn't too long ago we treated women like commodity too.

1 Like

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by repogirl(f): 6:15am On May 31, 2015
all4naija:
I agree that some parts of the world are unfair in their treatment of females but what they do is actually trampling upon females and a human being's fundermental human rights in a bid to control them for selfish reasons. Those are issues that matter and should be discussed and taken seriously, not opening ones nippl'es because men do so and other trivial matters feminists argue about.

2 Likes

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by Nobody: 6:15am On May 31, 2015
Velocitron:

I agree, but that's where the controversy lies now. It's a cultural norm for them. Who are we to say that someone else's culture is wrong? It wasn't too long ago we treated women like commodity too.
Barbarism in any culture is wrong and should be condemn. Jeez! You are not really what you claim to be, lady!

2 Likes

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by Nobody: 6:17am On May 31, 2015
repogirl:
I agree that some parts of the world are unfair in their treatment of females but what they do is actually trampling upon females and a human being's fundermental human rights in a bid to control them for selfish reasons. Those are issues that matter and should be discussed and taken seriously, not opening ones nippl'es because men do so and other trivial matters feminists argue about.
I completely agree with you on that one. Nice post! kiss
Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by Nobody: 6:17am On May 31, 2015
Interestingly most women I meet who parrot Chimamanda and women rights are some of the laziest, most stupid, and unproductive individuals who contribute nothing except maybe sex. Then they want respect to be given to them because they are women. Its amusing to hear a runsgirl who depends on big men to supplement her income then turn around and tell you women's right meanwhile the Alhajis's beat her and treat her like crap and she will absorb it all, she wont tell them about Chimamanda and women rights O. She will swallow every humiliation they throw at her like a dog then come around and be shouting rights.

4 Likes

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by Nobody: 6:20am On May 31, 2015
BUTCHCASSIDY:
Interestingly most women I meet who parrot Chimamanda and women rights are some of the laziest, most stupid, and unproductive individuals who contribute nothing except maybe sex. Then they want respect to be given to them because they are women. Its amusing to hear a runsgirl who depends on big men to supplement her income then turn around and tell you women's right meanwhile the Alhajis's beat her and treat her like crap and she will absorb it all, she wont tell them about Chimamanda and women rights O. She will swallow every humiliation they throw at her like a dog then come around and be shouting rights.
Huh! Keep using the wrong ones to describe all women in your patriarchal or chauvinistic intentions.

1 Like

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by prettyeyo: 6:23am On May 31, 2015
I doubt if Gender inequality will ever be eradicated in the African race. A male church member of mine once told me a woman isn't suppose to go beyond a first degree at school. If she dares think let a lone dreams a masters degree,she wouldn't be a good wife. That a career woman is a no no! So all she shld do is cater to her husband and children's needs. The islamic religion a woman has no voice at all...! So when I read Chimamanda's write ups,I appreciate them. A woman is human too.

1 Like

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by fairygeh(f): 6:36am On May 31, 2015
Cutehector:
Feminist! No wonder she isn't married...
Oh lord,there we go again
Some men can be so impossible
You mean u read all this nice,intelligent speech and the only thing u could say is its cos she's not married.
You must be one egocentric piece of man,the kind of man that doesn't feel a woman must have a say in whatsoever.thats really sad.
BTW she's very married.

5 Likes

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by Nobody: 6:50am On May 31, 2015
Velocitron:

I just think modern feminism or third-wave feminism has been sidetracked into making women victims of circumstance rather than empowering them and helping those really in need, like women whose faces are being mutilated with acid for fleeing from abusive husbands or victims of FGM etc. Those are real issues not 'my uncle didn't let me break kolanut when I was a child'.
I'm sure you didn't read that article.

If you did, you'll understand that her point is, why are men privileged to do so culturally, instead of who deserves it by achievement irregardless of the gender.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (20) (Reply)

Return My Virginity If You Want Dissolution, Wife Tells Husband / Two Brothers Drown In Lagos Lagoon (photos) / How Much Is Ideal To Be Giving One's Wife As Monthly Stipend?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.