Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,164 members, 7,780,164 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 10:22 AM

What If We Had Two Moons - Science/Technology (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / What If We Had Two Moons (3688 Views)

What If The Earth Had Two Moons -nerdvarsity (+PICS) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What If We Had Two Moons by Nobody: 12:14am On Jun 03, 2015
Sighting of the moon(s) in the morning would be more frequent. I experienced an occurrence in Plateau state.

Re: What If We Had Two Moons by Ramos16(m): 12:38am On Jun 03, 2015
theAtheist101:
Sighting of the moon(s) in the morning would be more frequent. I experienced an occurrence in Plateau state.
seriously? You say occurance like its a tornado or volcanic erruption, its very common in the north, i wake up most morning expecting to see the moon and some stars alongside especially when its not so yet bright
Re: What If We Had Two Moons by 5minsmadness: 12:54am On Jun 03, 2015
@johnnydon,
Seriously man, there are solar systems with two suns and planets moving on a rotational orbit around both. A good example is the kepler-47 solar system consisting of a young and an old Sun and two planets.

Such solar systems may not be habitable for carbon based life-forms but maybe silica-based? It would be fun to find out.

@op,
Two moons huh? Possible. Would make for a beautiful night sky. The second moon may not be of considerable mass though so as not to affect life on earth. It is totally possible for the earth to steal a passing asteroid in the future millenia to come. It would have to be slightly smaller than the moon and be moving at a relatively slow rate through space. It might even contain relics of alien life...

It would be wonderful to explore.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What If We Had Two Moons by Feraz(m): 7:28am On Jun 03, 2015
5minsmadness:
@johnnydon,
Seriously man, there are solar systems with two suns and planets moving on a rotational orbit around both. A good example is the kepler-47 solar system consisting of a young and an old Sun and two planets.

Such solar systems may not be habitable for carbon based life-forms but maybe silica-based? It would be fun to find out.

@op,
Two moons huh? Possible. Would make for a beautiful night sky. The second moon may not be of considerable mass though so as not to affect life on earth. It is totally possible for the earth to steal a passing asteroid in the future millenia to come. It would have to be slightly smaller than the moon and be moving at a relatively slow rate through space. It might even contain relics of alien life...

It would be wonderful to explore.
I never knew you to be interested in stuff like these. . .though always enjoy your contributions in the family section. . .
Re: What If We Had Two Moons by RobinHez(m): 9:29am On Jun 03, 2015
theAtheist101:
its normal, the moon is always there its just that the light from the sun is more powerful so we cant see it when the sun is up...but early in the morning, before the sun rises u can see the moon and also when the sun is setting too.
Re: What If We Had Two Moons by RobinHez(m): 9:33am On Jun 03, 2015
@ 5minsmadness
yeah! some scientists submitted a reporf in 2012 that earth sometimes attracts some asteroids with its force of gravitation and these asteroids go on to orbit the earth like moons before they're able to break free from the pulling force of the earth....

there are even reports that the earth had two moons which collided to form the one we see now...
Re: What If We Had Two Moons by Nobody: 10:08am On Jun 03, 2015
Ramos16:

seriously? You say occurance like its a tornado or volcanic erruption, its very common in the north, i wake up most morning expecting to see the moon and some stars alongside especially when its not so yet bright

RobinHez:

its normal, the moon is always there its just that the light from the sun is more powerful so we cant see it when the sun is up...but early in the morning, before the sun rises u can see the moon and also when the sun is setting too.

It was my first.
Re: What If We Had Two Moons by RobinHez(m): 10:14am On Jun 03, 2015
theAtheist101:

It was my first.
wow! well if u're even lucky, u can see some stars too... follow my blog pls.
Re: What If We Had Two Moons by 5minsmadness: 10:26am On Jun 03, 2015
Feraz:
I never knew you to be interested in stuff like these. . .though always enjoy your contributions in the family section. . .
I'm a religious fanatic first, a scientist second and a family guy third grin

To be honest I recently discovered the science section. I didn't know nairaland had one lipsrsealed
Re: What If We Had Two Moons by Feraz(m): 10:45am On Jun 03, 2015
5minsmadness:

To be honest I recently discovered the science section. I didn't know nairaland had one lipsrsealed
shocked shocked

Are you for real?
Re: What If We Had Two Moons by RobinHez(m): 10:58am On Jun 03, 2015
5minsmadness:

well the mods are not helping our cause here...
Re: What If We Had Two Moons by Nobody: 11:05am On Jun 03, 2015
RobinHez:

wow! well if u're even lucky, u can see some stars too...
follow my blog pls.

Okay, would check it out.
Re: What If We Had Two Moons by RobinHez(m): 11:34am On Jun 03, 2015
theAtheist101:

Okay, would check it out.
thanks...u'll find it useful
Re: What If We Had Two Moons by RobinHez(m): 12:59pm On Jun 03, 2015
Ujsizzle - can't this make frontpage cry
Re: What If We Had Two Moons by RobinHez(m): 1:01pm On Jun 03, 2015
Feraz:
shocked shocked
Are you for real?
we dont usually get recognition from the mods..
Re: What If We Had Two Moons by Ramos16(m): 11:58pm On Jun 03, 2015
Has anybody ever wondered why objects burn when they fall into the earth atmosphere from space or any other planet atmosphere, I have two theories, both of which are somehow related but different
Re: What If We Had Two Moons by RobinHez(m): 10:53am On Jun 05, 2015
Ramos16:
Has anybody ever wondered why objects burn when they fall into the earth atmosphere from space or any other planet atmosphere, I have two theories, both of which are somehow related but different
let it all out man...or maybe u can open a mew thread then mention us wink
Re: What If We Had Two Moons by MightySparrow: 8:05am On Jun 09, 2015
johnydon22:

Actually there are star systems where two stars are so close together that they touch and in some cases share a common envelop. . . It's called Contact Binary system

Such combination of stars cannot have planets orbiting them as both gravity and heat will swallow them at near contact or actual contact. Stars have very high temperatures and gravities.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What If We Had Two Moons by RobinHez(m): 8:16pm On Jul 17, 2015
Ramos16:
Bro...u didn't create the thread again?
Re: What If We Had Two Moons by Blakjewelry(m): 12:21am On Jul 18, 2015
Ramos16:

I am not sure but it might be impossible for two suns to be that close, remember that the gravitationa forcel increases as the size of the planetary bodies increase and also increases inversely as the square of their distance of separation. F=(Gmm)/r2

So for two bodies to be "suns" they would be really heavy, and for the earth to feature both they would have to be close, increasing the gravitational pull between them, hence one of two things would occur, either one collapse into the other or they would suck up other bodies, the earlier is the most probable.

Sorry bro there are binary system out there in universe, infact there are alot
Re: What If We Had Two Moons by Blakjewelry(m): 12:30am On Jul 18, 2015
MightySparrow:

Such combination of stars cannot have planets orbiting them as both gravity and heat will swallow them at near contact or actual contact. Stars have very high temperatures and gravities.
Actually a binary system has been discovered a planetary system one even sharing similarity earth I. e within the hospitable zone
Re: What If We Had Two Moons by Emmyk(m): 11:50am On Jul 18, 2015
sinaj:

lol
Am Interested in this kind of things smiley
I love Science :-/
Me too. Though I'm an art student.
Re: What If We Had Two Moons by Ramos16(m): 1:38pm On Jul 18, 2015
RobinHez:

Bro...u didn't create the thread again?

Alright, I will do that today
Re: What If We Had Two Moons by RobinHez(m): 1:40pm On Jul 18, 2015
Ramos16:

Alright, I will do that today
Ok...mention me when u're done wink

(1) (2) (Reply)

Career In Animation And Multimedia. / Worlds Most Physically Modified People / Between Startimes And Gotv Which One Is The Best

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.