Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,551 members, 7,809,021 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:10 PM

Best Server Side Language Your Opinion - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Best Server Side Language Your Opinion (3877 Views)

Need Help With Python Server Side Programming / Which Programming Language Was Used For Nairaland Server-side Scripting? / Which is more awesome to use for 'server-side programming', NodeJS or PHP? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Best Server Side Language Your Opinion by seunthomas: 7:53am On Jun 15, 2015
micodon:
Scala is not Java
You got your facts wrong again. Its a superset of Java. A language consists of the syntax(code) and the core(execution environment). Scala runs on the JVM. You can actually write Java code in scala and it would still run. Because JSP uses different syntax does not mean its not Java is it??
Re: Best Server Side Language Your Opinion by drealboy(m): 9:56am On Jun 15, 2015
larisoft:
Still I maintain:

USE WHAT YOU KNOW BEST WHERE ITS ACCEPTABLE TO DO SO

I have been among the "I Know 15 languages...I use 5 everyday" and am telling you; that might be the first step towards knowing no language at all.

Those of us here who know PHP well know that there are functions in it that call direct C functions, while there are other functions that do the same job and yet; require interpretation to execute.

As for Java; knowing the language in and out is often the difference between "slow" and "fast". For instance, do you know how performance tasking creating objects are?

and you see someone write code like this:

for(int i = 0; i < database of 10000000 entries; i++){

User johnny = new User('asd ');

if(johnny.isAboy()){

System.out.println(" I am a fool"wink;

}

}

And this GENIUS programmer who was using php only an hour ago, and has done little or no OP programming would expect it to run fast.

ONCE YOU UNDERSTAND YOUR TOOL WELL; THE DIFFERENCE IN PERFORMANCE BETWEEN LANGUAGES AFTER OPTIMIZATION IS USUALLY NEGLIGIBLE PERIOD! (EXCEPT YOU ARE USING C/C++ -WHICH YOU ARE PROBABLY NOT USING ANYWAYS)

you strike it well. that is just the point.
Re: Best Server Side Language Your Opinion by seunthomas: 10:36am On Jun 15, 2015
larisoft:
Still I maintain:

USE WHAT YOU KNOW BEST WHERE ITS ACCEPTABLE TO DO SO

I have been among the "I Know 15 languages...I use 5 everyday" and am telling you; that might be the first step towards knowing no language at all.

Those of us here who know PHP well know that there are functions in it that call direct C functions, while there are other functions that do the same job and yet; require interpretation to execute.

As for Java; knowing the language in and out is often the difference between "slow" and "fast". For instance, do you know how performance tasking creating objects are?

and you see someone write code like this:

for(int i = 0; i < database of 10000000 entries; i++){

User johnny = new User('asd ');

if(johnny.isAboy()){

System.out.println(" I am a fool"wink;

}

}

And this GENIUS programmer who was using php only an hour ago, and has done little or no OP programming would expect it to run fast.

ONCE YOU UNDERSTAND YOUR TOOL WELL; THE DIFFERENCE IN PERFORMANCE BETWEEN LANGUAGES AFTER OPTIMIZATION IS USUALLY NEGLIGIBLE PERIOD! (EXCEPT YOU ARE USING C/C++ -WHICH YOU ARE PROBABLY NOT USING ANYWAYS)

You miss it bro. Its actually a good thing to know many languages. It makes it considerably easier to identify the pitfalls of one language over another. As for your example. Its not even good enough because in java garbage collection would kick in as soon as that object is not used any longer. There is actually very little performance bottle neck in creating an object. So go and do your homework again.
Re: Best Server Side Language Your Opinion by micodon(m): 10:54am On Jun 15, 2015
seunthomas:

You got your facts wrong again. Its a superset of Java. A language consists of the syntax(code) and the core(execution environment). Scala runs on the JVM. You can actually write Java code in scala and it would still run. Because JSP uses different syntax does not mean its not Java is it??

Thats like saying VB script is VB.Net.

Hack was invented by facebook to run on HHVM. Php can also run on HHVM. does that mean that Php and Hack are the same?

Scala runs on the JVM because its code is compiled into Java Byte code. Lua is compiled into C or c++(cant quite recall) does that make Lua c++?.

And so u'd know, scala was once released on the .net platform.
Re: Best Server Side Language Your Opinion by micodon(m): 10:59am On Jun 15, 2015
seunthomas:

You miss it bro. Its actually a good thing to know many languages. It makes it considerably easier to identify the pitfalls of one language over another. As for your example. Its not even good enough because in java garbage collection would kick in as soon as that object is not used any longer. There is actually very little performance bottle neck in creating an object. So go and do your homework again.

It actually depends...if the system runs out of memory while the loop is still being run...what happens?

You cant tell me that a good programmer and a bad programmer will produce the same application performance-wise. Even if the language was invented in the garden of eden
Re: Best Server Side Language Your Opinion by micodon(m): 11:07am On Jun 15, 2015
seunthomas:

Im actually stunned by this. If the above is correct, then PHP and Python are the same cos they are just abstractions from the C language.

If Jsp is Java and Scala is Java, then C# is VB.Net and ASP.Net is C# and all what not
Re: Best Server Side Language Your Opinion by seunthomas: 11:32am On Jun 15, 2015
micodon:

Im actually stunned by this. If the above is correct, then PHP and Python are the same cos they are just abstractions from the C language.

If Jsp is Java and Scala is Java, then C# is VB.Net and ASP.Net is C# and all what not
You are a bushman and not a programmer. Do you know what a superset means. Have you even programmed in scala. I program in scala and sometimes i even decide to write it in Java. Scala is scripting. Before you start ranting on what you know very little about. Go to scala language page and read their mission statement. Also any language in the whole world can be converted to run in the .Net runtime. Thats why .Net is special.
Re: Best Server Side Language Your Opinion by seunthomas: 11:34am On Jun 15, 2015
micodon:

BUSHMAN.
Re: Best Server Side Language Your Opinion by Borwe: 1:08pm On Jun 15, 2015
Bro, for performance just go c++ with some web frameworks or java, but never use PHP or Python for performance intensive websites, why you think Twitter, Runescape, and some more MMORGP games aren't written in those two languages, because they are too slow
Re: Best Server Side Language Your Opinion by micodon(m): 7:28pm On Jun 15, 2015
Borwe:
Bro, for performance just go c++ with some web frameworks or java, but never use PHP or Python for performance intensive websites, why you think Twitter, Runescape, and some more MMORGP games aren't written in those two languages, because they are too slow

Facebook uses php...albeit with a different implementation.

The idea is that performance is not entirely dependent on language but also on developer skill, implementation and server resources available
Re: Best Server Side Language Your Opinion by Raypawer(m): 1:00pm On Jun 16, 2015
well, if that's the case, Golang is good for concurrency... its far better than over hyped nodejs which does an infinite loop in my own point of view..

micodon:

Slowness and Clumsiness......Google use Java mainly...nuff said.

GoLang's concurrency model is exaclty what i need for the projects my team have. and i find its documentation quite easy. No language has it all. Like someone said, go for the most suitable. and for concurrency, i choose Go. Code hard to read? erm....Java?
Re: Best Server Side Language Your Opinion by micodon(m): 7:02pm On Jun 16, 2015
Raypawer:
well, if that's the case, Golang is good for concurrency... its far better than over hyped nodejs which does an infinite loop in my own point of view..

Yeah, were i can help it...GoLang is preferred...Erlang and Scala are also powerful. Node is over hyped, yes.

But what do you mean by "infinite loop"?
Re: Best Server Side Language Your Opinion by larisoft: 10:35am On Jun 17, 2015
seunthomas:

Java garbage collector only kicks in when there is no more reference to that object anywhere else in the code. In my code above, I only printed a funny string and the garbage collector would handle it; but in a typical application, you usually want to hold all of that in an array. In such circumstances, Good luck with your JAVA BASED PERFORMANCE.

The experts here would readily verify that an operation like this, you defer object creation till your data is filtered; or use singleton classes.
Singleton classes to verify what you want to verify.

i.e. Person p = PersonFactory.getInstance();

Now, that is not the type of thing a PHP Programmer; whom after reading your "JAVA is better than PHP for server performance" sermon, and decided to implement his new project in Java might know.

Wonderful topic by the way. There's a lot of brainstorming going on and a lot of information being shared, even though I know the question will never be unanimously answered.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Chemistry! Help A Brother To Solve These Questions / Please Read / Coding A Responsive Slider (HTML, CSS & JAVASCRIPT)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.