Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,314 members, 7,808,057 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:15 AM

Maize Farming In Nigeria ( 2015 Season) - Challenges And Expectations. - Agriculture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Maize Farming In Nigeria ( 2015 Season) - Challenges And Expectations. (38933 Views)

Snail Farming In Nigeria Made Easy, Practical Tips / Urgent Suggestion For Maize Farming / The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Maize Farming In Nigeria ( 2015 Season) - Challenges And Expectations. by shinaboy: 10:21am On Jun 05, 2015
Joive:

Thank you so much. That quantity of cobs is for 10 ha not 1ha. I have 26600 spots, 2 maize stands per spot = 53,200 per ha. Actually, I meant to say 532,000 cobs for the whole farm.
Thanks for the correction.

Since you planted in last week in March. I estimate your plants will be close to maturity now. So far has there been additional expenses to the 350000naira you mentioned earlier?

Also, have you had problem with birds or any other pests. And how did you tackle the problem?

1 Like

Re: Maize Farming In Nigeria ( 2015 Season) - Challenges And Expectations. by Nobody: 7:35am On Jun 13, 2015
Guy, I met some women this Saturday morning enroute Benin. They were all going to buy corn at emu market in Agbor. Note, they left from Onitsha. I told them abt u n DT u will like to do business with them, they said they are small traders that buy few bags. They advised I talk to the big buyers DT buy n buses and trucks. They can be found in coca cola upper iweka Onitsha.

I hope this helps. U can also check out d emu mkt at agbor.

3 Likes

Re: Maize Farming In Nigeria ( 2015 Season) - Challenges And Expectations. by stagger: 8:58am On Jun 13, 2015
mercylicious:
Guy, I met some women this Saturday morning enroute Benin. They were all going to buy corn at emu market in Agbor. Note, they left from Onitsha. I told them abt u n DT u will like to do business with them, they said they are small traders that buy few bags. They advised I talk to the big buyers DT buy n buses and trucks. They can be found in coca cola upper iweka Onitsha.

Hmm.

I wonder how many bags they are buying that they will travel from Onitsha to Agbor, a distance of at least 3 hours to and fro. Not taking into account those crazy holdups that sometimes occur in the Niger bridge. They must be buying large quantity, or they must be buying at least 5-10 bags three times a week.

My point is no matter how small they say they are, I am sure those women must be buying at least 20 bags collectively a trip and will do that trip at least three times a week.

They are a market that should be explored. Corn sellers routinely sell off 1 bag a day here in many places in Abuja.

2 Likes

Re: Maize Farming In Nigeria ( 2015 Season) - Challenges And Expectations. by Nobody: 12:33pm On Jun 13, 2015
stagger:

Hmm.

I wonder how many bags they are buying that they will travel from Onitsha to Agbor, a distance of at least 3 hours to and fro. Not taking into account those crazy holdups that sometimes occur in the Niger bridge. They must be buying large quantity, or they must be buying at least 5-10 bags three times a week.

My point is no matter how small they say they are, I am sure those women must be buying at least 20 bags collectively a trip and will do that trip at least three times a week.

They are a market that should be explored. Corn sellers routinely sell off 1 bag a day here in many places in Abuja.

Onitsha to agbor is 1hr 30mins on public transport. That emuhu MKT ( pronounced emu) is abt 1hr from Onitsha. They stopped b4 d car navigated to agbor town.

I saw d woman DT I previously told you sells corn all through d year . she was heading to Benin and I believe she was also going to buy corn. I will give her ur contact later in the day.
Re: Maize Farming In Nigeria ( 2015 Season) - Challenges And Expectations. by FarmTech(m): 10:16pm On Jun 14, 2015
mercylicious:

You did a very good job and may other people do the same for you.

3 Likes

Re: Maize Farming In Nigeria ( 2015 Season) - Challenges And Expectations. by Nobody: 6:12pm On Jun 26, 2015
Soloxam:
Don't use atrazine in cucumber farm as pre emergence, it will germinate and die after a week or two.

@ solxam and joive, will d altrazine also kill plantains? Ive already bought it. I plan to mix it with forceup for my plantains as the weeds have outgrown my plantain.

@joive, how is your maize farm? I tot you would have delighted us with updated pics.
I spoke with the stock exchange maize woman I told you abt, she asked if I could trust you, after much talk, she requested for your no . so bad I didn't go out that evening with my phone that has your no as it was evening. I will see her again. She asked for same day harvested corn. She asked if you needed someone to help you sell.
When she calls, tell her exactly what you want and discus how she will get the same day harvested corn.

That woman is a champion this side as ppl drive extra distance to get her corn. Ppl be truthful to her and don't disappoint.

1 Like

Re: Maize Farming In Nigeria ( 2015 Season) - Challenges And Expectations. by Juliana7: 6:56pm On Jun 28, 2015
@op, where are u?
Re: Maize Farming In Nigeria ( 2015 Season) - Challenges And Expectations. by Soloxam(m): 7:13pm On Jun 28, 2015
mercylicious:

@ solxam and joive, will d altrazine also kill plantains? Ive already bought it. I plan to mix it with forceup for my plantains as the weeds have outgrown my plantain.

@joive, how is your maize farm? I tot you would have delighted us with updated pics.
I spoke with the stock exchange maize woman I told you abt, she asked if I could trust you, after much talk, she requested for your no . so bad I didn't go out that evening with my phone that has your no as it was evening. I will see her again. She asked for same day harvested corn. She asked if you needed someone to help you sell.
When she calls, tell her exactly what you want and discus how she will get the same day harvested corn.

That woman is a champion this side as ppl drive extra distance to get her corn. Ppl be truthful to her and don't disappoint.
@ Mercylicious sincerely I have not used attrazine in plantian farm cos I don't farm plaintian bu I will ask from someone who sales this product......... Get back to you soon.....
Re: Maize Farming In Nigeria ( 2015 Season) - Challenges And Expectations. by platonicgo: 9:15pm On Jul 03, 2015
please do we have anybody in the house that have experience in pop corn maize planting if there is any i would like to know
1.how to control pest like birds
2.how to go about dry the maize cause i know it will more profitable to dry be4 selling
3.what is the market like and price per kg and tonne
4.did will have any company that buy in ha right at the farm

please i need help on this be4 venture in to journey thank you
Re: Maize Farming In Nigeria ( 2015 Season) - Challenges And Expectations. by amarawa: 9:20pm On Jul 05, 2015
I couldn't get animal dunes for our 10hectares maize. How much fertilizer bags are required per hectare? And what type?
Re: Maize Farming In Nigeria ( 2015 Season) - Challenges And Expectations. by Joive: 11:04pm On Jul 16, 2015
mercylicious:

Thanks alot mercy. The whole operation has become more challenging. I've been documenting every detail ( observations, surprises and more), I've also taken a lot of picture which I'll post very soon.
Since June, when the maize began to tazzle ( flower). A totally different challenges has began after I successfully dealt with my previous challenges. some of these new challenges are scary/threatening and has the capacity to jeopardize this project. They require extreme treatment.
1. Aphids attacked my maize en-mass: These heartless, stupid and wicked flies lay worms on the tazzle of many Maize plants and the worms in-turn bore and eats into the main stem/stalk of the maize, they continue to dwell there until the maize dies off. The tazzle normally die-off within 2 days after worms bore into the maize.
What's in for the Aphids?: These heartless-stupid flies sucks the Alcoholic and sugar-rich liquid content deposited by the worms ( generally classified as stem borers). Being an Agricultural pest is destructive enough, much less an Alcoholic pest. I wouldn't expect a better behavior from an Alcoholic pest. The Aphids continues to lay worms in as much maize stalk as they can far more than they can feed on.

MY Responds: I contacted sygenta and place a special order for After a, a systemic insecticide. You've got two major types of Insecticides: 1 Contact: This will only kill pests if it touches them. it cannot kill pest that has already found their way into the internal parts of the crop. 2. Systemic insecticide: This type of insecticides get absorbed by the plant and remain there in a very low quantity sufficient to kill pests attacking it from within or outside it.
I Applied Actera and after 2 days the worms were all dead and dead Aphids littered the some leaves.

2. Monkeys Attacked ( Even when the maize was yet to produce silk), they'll break the stalk and chew it.

MY Responds: I contacted some local hunters to watch the farm in the morning and Evenings. 3 days into the watch, the shot 3 big red monkeys ( 3rd week of June) and then no Monkey has crossed my farm again. Well, I'll keep watching out for them.

Am also working on marketing/ Sales. I've done a little survey on pricing and i must say, it's interesting. I met with roadside maize sellers and told them I have a supply source for them. they were very interested, here in Edo State wholesale prices range from N10 to N20 depending on the size of the cob, Retail is N30 to N50. They usually demand for a sample. My plan is to have sales reps across the country who are able to organize and maintain a trustworthy business relationship with them, I recommend not less than 50 costumers who are able to buy atleast 1 bag of maize (120 cobs) every 5 days. Sales reps will earn 10% of total sales accrue from his/her customers not later than 10 days after payment is received. Marketing Firms are also welcome. Independent/standalone sales reps can constitute a field marketing team in need be. All what our sales reps are required to do is: - Capture contact details of maize buyers, offer them our contact card ( which will have your contact number) and ensure they call you when ever they need supplies ( Maize). Of course, you should not wait for their calls, call them instead. You should be proactive. We will shoulder certain responsibilities and this will be made known to interested persons only. If you are interested call me on: 08131030440 or send me a Message right here on nairaland.

Projections
If a sales rep is able to maintain 50 costumer, he'll earn as follows:
Assuming we are selling a Cob for N20
1 bag (120 cobs) - 120 x N20 = N2400
Assuming all your 50 Costumers are able to place order every 5 days
N2400 X 50 - N120, 000 ( total sales in 5 days), Your entitlement is 10% of N120,000 = N12000.
therefore, total sales for 1 month ( for months with 30 days) = 30/5= 6 ( Minimum orders per month).
Total Sales per Month = 6 x N120,000 = N720, 000. Your entitlement is 10% = N72,000 per month.

---- This is Just a summary, I'll post picture next time -----

Thank you all.

3 Likes

Re: Maize Farming In Nigeria ( 2015 Season) - Challenges And Expectations. by Joive: 11:35pm On Jul 16, 2015
mercylicious:

Onitsha to agbor is 1hr 30mins on public transport. That emuhu MKT ( pronounced emu) is abt 1hr from Onitsha. They stopped b4 d car navigated to agbor town.

I saw d woman DT I previously told you sells corn all through d year . she was heading to Benin and I believe she was also going to buy corn. I will give her ur contact later in the day.

Thanks a lot Mercy. Am very grateful for your helpful tips. Can I have your phone number? we need to talk.
and @ stagger, I need your phone number too, we need to talk also.
Re: Maize Farming In Nigeria ( 2015 Season) - Challenges And Expectations. by Joive: 11:38pm On Jul 16, 2015
amarawa:
I couldn't get animal dunes for our 10hectares maize. How much fertilizer bags are required per hectare? And what type?
You need 4bags of NPK ( 15:15:15) per ha. 25 kg per bag.
Re: Maize Farming In Nigeria ( 2015 Season) - Challenges And Expectations. by Curiouscity(m): 12:24am On Jul 17, 2015
Joive:

Thanks alot mercy. The whole operation has become more challenging. I've been documenting every detail ( observations, surprises and more), I've also taken a lot of picture which I'll post very soon.
Since June, when the maize began to tazzle ( flower). A totally different challenges has began after I successfully dealt with my previous challenges. some of these new challenges are scary/threatening and has the capacity to jeopardize this project. They require extreme treatment.
1. Aphids attacked my maize en-mass: These heartless, stupid and wicked flies lay worms on the tazzle of many Maize plants and the worms in-turn bore and eats into the main stem/stalk of the maize, they continue to dwell there until the maize dies off. The tazzle normally die-off within 2 days after worms bore into the maize.
What's in for the Aphids?: These heartless-stupid flies sucks the Alcoholic and sugar-rich liquid content deposited by the worms ( generally classified as stem borers). Being an Agricultural pest is destructive enough, much less an Alcoholic pest. I wouldn't expect a better behavior from an Alcoholic pest. The Aphids continues to lay worms in as much maize stalk as they can far more than they can feed on.

MY Responds: I contacted sygenta and place a special order for After a, a systemic insecticide. You've got two major types of Insecticides: 1 Contact: This will only kill pests if it touches them. it cannot kill pest that has already found their way into the internal parts of the crop. 2. Systemic insecticide: This type of insecticides get absorbed by the plant and remain there in a very low quantity sufficient to kill pests attacking it from within or outside it.
I Applied Actera and after 2 days the worms were all dead and dead Aphids littered the some leaves.

2. Monkeys Attacked ( Even when the maize was yet to produce silk), they'll break the stalk and chew it.

MY Responds: I contacted some local hunters to watch the farm in the morning and Evenings. 3 days into the watch, the shot 3 big red monkeys ( 3rd week of June) and then no Monkey has crossed my farm again. Well, I'll keep watching out for them.

Am also working on marketing/ Sales. I've done a little survey on pricing and i must say, it's interesting. I met with roadside maize sellers and told them I have a supply source for them. they were very interested, here in Edo State wholesale prices range from N10 to N20 depending on the size of the cob, Retail is N30 to N50. They usually demand for a sample. My plan is to have sales reps across the country who are able to organize and maintain a trustworthy business relationship with them, I recommend not less than 50 costumers who are able to buy atleast 1 bag of maize (120 cobs) every 5 days. Sales reps will earn 10% of total sales accrue from his/her customers not later than 10 days after payment is received. Marketing Firms are also welcome. Independent/standalone sales reps can constitute a field marketing team in need be. All what our sales reps are required to do is: - Capture contact details of maize buyers, offer them our contact card ( which will have your contact number) and ensure they call you when ever they need supplies ( Maize). Of course, you should not wait for their calls, call them instead. You should be proactive. We will shoulder certain responsibilities and this will be made known to interested persons only. If you are interested call me on: 08131030440 or send me a Message right here on nairaland.

Projections
If a sales rep is able to maintain 50 costumer, he'll earn as follows:
Assuming we are selling a Cob for N20
1 bag (120 cobs) - 120 x N20 = N2400
Assuming all your 50 Costumers are able to place order every 5 days
N2400 X 50 - N120, 000 ( total sales in 5 days), Your entitlement is 10% of N120,000 = N12000.
therefore, total sales for 1 month ( for months with 30 days) = 30/5= 6 ( Minimum orders per month).
Total Sales per Month = 6 x N120,000 = N720, 000. Your entitlement is 10% = N72,000 per month.

---- This is Just a summary, I'll post picture next time -----

Thank you all.

Guy, I salute your resilience. You are the kind of person we need more on Agric section of this forum, not some fraudulent internet farmers.
Your marketing strategy is cool, though the workability depends on your farms location. Be aggressive in sourcing for markets, and you will smile home soon.

kudos!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Maize Farming In Nigeria ( 2015 Season) - Challenges And Expectations. by FarmTech(m): 1:48am On Jul 17, 2015
Joive:
You need 4bags of NPK ( 15:15:15) per ha. 25 kg per bag.
pls does fertilizers come in 25kg bags? How much is the 15:15:15?
Re: Maize Farming In Nigeria ( 2015 Season) - Challenges And Expectations. by PapaBrowne(m): 3:51am On Jul 17, 2015
Interesting thread
Re: Maize Farming In Nigeria ( 2015 Season) - Challenges And Expectations. by Joive: 10:52am On Jul 17, 2015
FarmTech:

pls does fertilizers come in 25kg bags? How much is the 15:15:15?
yes, they do. The retail price fluctuates between N5,500 and N6000 per 25kg bag.
Re: Maize Farming In Nigeria ( 2015 Season) - Challenges And Expectations. by Joive: 11:00am On Jul 17, 2015
Curiouscity:

Guy, I salute your resilience. You are the kind of person we need more on Agric section of this forum, not some fraudulent internet farmers.
Your marketing strategy is cool, though the workability depends on your farms location. Be aggressive in sourcing for markets, and you will smile home soon.

kudos!!
Thank you. I usually don't see location as stumbling block. With an effective logistics plan, the various challenges posed by location will not exist. As far as this Marketing structure is concerned, I will be responsible for movement of the products, All the buyers need to do is place order and products will be delivered. The rest of the plan is meant for interested persons only. The Supply chain is the heart of a successful business.

1 Like

Re: Maize Farming In Nigeria ( 2015 Season) - Challenges And Expectations. by Gheritage(m): 12:43pm On Jul 17, 2015
I love this diary...Pls when can I plant my own also...knowing fully well today is 17th of July and August rain break will soon come or should I wait till next year like late March that u started ur own?
Re: Maize Farming In Nigeria ( 2015 Season) - Challenges And Expectations. by Joive: 1:26pm On Jul 17, 2015
Gheritage:
I love thus diary...Pls when can I plant my own also...knowing fully well today is 17th of July and August rain break will soon come or should I wait till next year like late March that u started ur own?
You may wait till after the August break.
Re: Maize Farming In Nigeria ( 2015 Season) - Challenges And Expectations. by Gheritage(m): 3:26pm On Jul 17, 2015
Joive:
You may wait till after the August break.
OK...thanks
Re: Maize Farming In Nigeria ( 2015 Season) - Challenges And Expectations. by monajit(m): 5:24pm On Jul 17, 2015
Thanks joive. We spoke earlier.

1 Like

Re: Maize Farming In Nigeria ( 2015 Season) - Challenges And Expectations. by mcshoby: 12:12am On Oct 21, 2015
@Joive, thank you for this informative diary, it is an eye opener. Please complete the diary with the details of your harvest and marketing experiences. I'm curious to know if you did another round after August break? Any different experience from the initial one. God bless you. [color=#990000][/color]
Re: Maize Farming In Nigeria ( 2015 Season) - Challenges And Expectations. by Richfare(m): 5:37pm On Mar 17, 2016
Thank you for this helpful info. But you forgot to tell us about the shelling of the cob and grains
Re: Maize Farming In Nigeria ( 2015 Season) - Challenges And Expectations. by danwa25(m): 7:04am On Mar 18, 2016
What was your total yield
Re: Maize Farming In Nigeria ( 2015 Season) - Challenges And Expectations. by peterbabs(m): 7:01pm On Apr 19, 2016
Hi Jovie,
It's nice to read your experience.
Would you be kind enough to tell us what things you would do differently this year if you were to grow corn again?
I will very much appreciate that.
Thanks for sharing your experience.
Re: Maize Farming In Nigeria ( 2015 Season) - Challenges And Expectations. by INFOTECH2: 6:08pm On May 07, 2016
peterbabs:
Hi Jovie,
It's nice to read your experience.
Would you be kind enough to tell us what things you would do differently this year if you were to grow corn again?
I will very much appreciate that.
Thanks for sharing your experience.

Any answers
Re: Maize Farming In Nigeria ( 2015 Season) - Challenges And Expectations. by ayodexy: 11:05pm On Jun 12, 2016
Joive thanks for the information you provided I'm intending to start soon God willing but I'm not going to start big like you just a hectare or two but with irrigation system to push my luck. Please how share with us you end year review on cost and income after your experience thanks.
Re: Maize Farming In Nigeria ( 2015 Season) - Challenges And Expectations. by jakhibi: 10:15am On Sep 02, 2016
Bros Good morning,
Pls Can i reach you I know this is an old post. your No aint connecting.

Hope to hear from you.
jakhibi@yahoo.com
Re: Maize Farming In Nigeria ( 2015 Season) - Challenges And Expectations. by CandiNET: 9:45pm On Sep 18, 2016
Joive:
MAIZE FARMING IN NIGERIA ( 2015 SEASON) - MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE.

Farm Location : Uromi, Edo State ( South South Nigeria).
Farm Size: 10 hectares ( 25 Acres).
Budget: N300, 000
Variety: IAR&T' Tropical Zea Planter ( Baga).
Variant: Color: White.

By Jan 2015, the land area was chosen, so much needs to be put in place, the exact location of the farm was more than 45 mins drive from the city centre. At this point, the seeds for planting has not been sourced ( I was initially considering IFe maize 3 or 4 or the newly released 5 & 6) . Here is how its been so far:

WHAT I BORE IN MIND
NImet' 2015 weather and rainfall forecast predicting a later than normal rainfall in the area.

LAND PREP
Feb 2015
The land was formally a Government assisted communal farm. Those in charge told me the last time it was cultivated is 2007. So, I skipped the soil test with the hope that any possible deficiency will be fixed when I apply fertilizers.

March 13 2015, there still was no single drop of rain in the area. This same day, those in charge finally allocated my portion of land to me after paying my dues ( Approximately N65,000 for a 2 year lease).

NATURE OF LAND: Grassland with a number of trees and broad leaves. The Land was sparsely populated on one side and was a little thick with trees on the other side.

CHALLENGE 1: I planned to till and harrow with tractor. however, such was not readily available in the area. I was directed to a nearby university in order to hire, the price was very high ( N50,000 per day and am required to buy diesel ). secondly, their 2 tractors were not operational at the time I made my request.

CHALLENGE 2: Due to the trees and shrubs in the farming area, the tractor hiring unit required me to de-stomp the area. This process is slow and costly.

MY DECISION:
I contacted Biostadt, Lagos for Syngenta' Touchdown ( A more concentrated Glyphosate/systemic herbicide) and I bought some cartons sufficient for 10 hectares. I went to a reliable Chemical store, I bought a reliable brand of Altrazine. I mixed as recommended. This I expect will treat Both pre-emergence and post-emergence. I brought hired labor and they sprayed the whole area with Knapsack spray pumps. I had to wait until the Fifteenth day before planting. I also had to pray for rain to fall with 7 days, else the Altrazine will not work. As it happened, there was a heavy down pour on the 6th day after spraying ( this was the first rain we had). When I arrived at my farm land 15 days after spraying, everything was dead except the trees. The soil was visible and smooth. I did not brush/slash nor till. All I did was spray. The only little challenge posed was the cutting off of dead stems of broad-leaved weeds. After which am ready to plant.

SOURCING FOR PLANTING SEEDS
All efforts made to get Ife maize directly from IAR&T failed. So, I contacted local ADP office and the Commercial sales manager recommended Tropical zae planter Baga. I took samples, did a planting test and it was More than 90%. I bought 250 KG for 10 ha.

PLANTING
Layout: 75cm x 50cm, 2 seeds per spot.
MARCH ( 4TH WEEK): There is still no sufficient rainfall, everywhere was dry and hot. But we had to plant. I brought a bunch of hired laborers, I told them they must plant in rows, they argued and said that's not how they do it in their village. Well, I dropped them off and got other persons ( it took me 10 days to put a planting team together ). I expected the planting stage to be easier, but it was the toughest and most expensive. A team of 4 persons was only able to plant half a hectare per day and I had 2 teams. Well after 10 days, the planting was over, I was happy and for the first time since I embarked on this project, I had a chilled pack of fruit juice and slept well, to return to my farm after 4 days to see the beautiful young sprouts of maize.

CHALLENGES UPON CHALLENGES
1. When I got to my farm, I was so much In a hurry to see the young sprouts. I realized only a few of them had Germinated. I was so uncomfortable, I tilled a spot with a slim cutlass. what I saw shook me; a small yellow milipaed was wrapped around the 2 seeds planted and has completely eaten the seeds. I tilled up to 20 spots, in some I saw termites, ants and millipaeds. The ADP manager earlier told me the seeds were treated against insects, I called him up. He said he was not sure it is treated.

2. Those that have Germinated ( less than 60%) were being destroyed by Laeva worms, spotted hoppers. it was a terrible sight to behold. My fine young maize had holes all over it and were being cut-down by worms.

3. Then the worse happened: These ants, termites and hoppers drew the attention of birds which came in droves, weeded/uprooted my crops from the soil and ate both the ants and seeds. I cried!

DEFYING AND OVERCOMING
Of the area planted so far, only 20 percent survived. I had to replant, but not until I was ready to eliminate my enemies ( the enemies of progress).
1. Defense 1: I bought Syngenta' Karat, mixed as recommended and sprayed the surviving crops. The heartless insects all died ( some on top of the crop while taking a bite). within 3 days, their vegetation improved. My Maize now looks like it.
2. I used a little bit diluted Karat to coat the second batch of maize seeds I bought before planting them. 4 days after planting, they all germinated and with fresh leaves. Good riddance to Insects.

GBOSA! ANOTHER CHALLENGE: Oh my God. Just when I thought I can rest my body and mind, I realized something was terribly wrong. its been 2 weeks since we planted, the crops seems to be slow with growth. Also, some areas ( especially where the trees formally were) experienced good crops growth. The conclusion is that the soil though well drain, its not fertile.

I can't use chemical fertilizer at this early stage and if I leave my crops this way, they'll suffer from Chronic nutrients deficiency and they will give me low yield. So, I mobilized 120 bags ( 100kg each) of poultry droppings. it was applied in a ring style around each spot containing 2 stands of growing maize. Within 4 days ( After rainfall), the maize doubled their size, leaves became greener. In 10, they tripled their sizes.

EXPECTATIONS
Yield: 1 neatly filled ear per plant stand , 6 tons per ha ( dried grains).

FINANCES
Budget ( Adjustment): N350, 000 spent so far

MARKETING/ SALES:
Target Market: 1. Fresh maize buyers. 2 Dried grains Buyers.

I promise to provide update as soon as I can.

Personal experience of Mr James
Published by Mr James.

What do you think? do you have an advise or suggestion? Though I have a sales channel, I need more. You can contact me.

This Diary is a great one.
I am wondering how did you get water for your farm operations?
How about the tools u used?
Were all this factored into your total cost of 350000?
Please clear my head.
Re: Maize Farming In Nigeria ( 2015 Season) - Challenges And Expectations. by 1kinggy(m): 8:22pm On Oct 03, 2016
Hi. Good job on and off field. Your reports are straight forward and down-to-earth.
Please did you plant maize this year 2016. A summary of your experience and re-applications of lessons learnt from last seadonwould be appreciated.

This is my first sason, late maize (September - November /December ). I'm in for the long term.
Re: Maize Farming In Nigeria ( 2015 Season) - Challenges And Expectations. by 1kinggy(m): 8:22pm On Oct 03, 2016
Hi. Good job on and off field. Your reports are straight forward and down-to-earth.
Please did you plant maize this year 2016. A summary of your experience and re-applications of lessons learnt from last seadonwould be appreciated.

This is my first season, late maize (September - November /December ). I'm in for the long term.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

A Bad Day With Fulani Herdsmen(Pics) / Imota Rice Mill, Lagos Capable Of Producing 2.4 Million 50kg Bags Yearly / Daily Price Of Foodstuff And Commodities Uploaded

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.