Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,990 members, 7,799,402 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 08:28 PM

Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? (7673 Views)

Photo Of Goodluck Jonathan On A Refuse Dump! / Egypt Calls For A Nigeria-Egypt Led Force Against ISIS In Libya / I.G of Police Refuse To Recognize Tambuwal As Speaker. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by ayoola22: 7:43am On Feb 17, 2009
“It’s the image of a lone police man I hold on to. He is chubby, affable ands wearing an helmet. When he stopped us in Edo state or shortly before we left Ondo state, Okey exhausted from all the checkpoint made to give him 200 naira, but he refused. He asked for our car papers, looked at them carefully, says that everything is completes and he adds ‘safe journey’. As we drove away I looked back wishing I knew his name” , Chimanmanda Ngozi Adichi

Did she saw an angel or do we still have good policemen?

I really wish i know his name, i will have nominated him for man of the year, lol

http://www.naijareports..com/
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by Nobody: 8:03am On Feb 17, 2009
Nigerian civilians are the real problem not only the Nigerian police.

I still cant believe the ever lovable Adichie wrote this, I feel that she and Okey overstepped the boundary by first offering the policeman bribe even though the policeman didnt request for such and when all her papers were complete. Its just typical of nigerians.

And yes, most nigerian policemen have in the past and present refused bribes. You dont need to be an Engel to refuse it, all it takes is someone who thinks with his head. Unfortunately, most people in that place dont. cry

Nigerians should stop complaining about the nigerian police if they cant stop offering bribe to them.
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by FBS: 9:12am On Feb 17, 2009
nuzo:

Nigerian civilians are the real problem not only the Nigerian police.

I still cant believe the ever lovable Adichie wrote this, I feel that she and Okey overstepped the boundary by first offering the policeman bribe even though the policeman didnt request for such and when all her papers were complete. Its just typical of nigerians.

And yes, most nigerian policemen have in the past and present refused bribes. You dont need to be an Engel to refuse it, all it takes is someone who thinks with his head. Unfortunately, most people in that place dont. cry

Nigerians should stop complaining about the nigerian police if they cant stop offering bribe to them.
maybe you don't follow events happening but some people have lost their lives simply becos they refused to offer bribes to the same police.
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by Nobody: 12:47pm On Feb 17, 2009
FBS:

maybe you don't follow events happening but some people have lost their lives simply becos they refused to offer bribes to the same police.

In the case of chimanda and okey, just like most nigerians; offered the bribe way before the officer asked for their car documents.
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by jamace(m): 2:14pm On Feb 17, 2009
A Senator collects #2,480,000 as basic monthly salary and still demands for Ghana -Must-Go, is it the policeman that collects #26,000 as monthly salary that will fight corruption?.
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by aieromon(m): 4:23pm On Feb 17, 2009
the Nigerian Police will stop collecting bribe once 2face starts wearing rubbers cool
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by Kobojunkie: 5:11pm On Feb 17, 2009
Yep, we would not be complaining of police collecting bribe if we were not, ourselves, paying them bribe. Sure there are a few honest cops out there but I still believe the only way to stoke this fire is for the people to STOP paying up and accepting the consequence instead.
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by Nobody: 5:36pm On Feb 17, 2009
ayoola22:

“It’s the image of a lone police man I hold on to. He is chubby, affable ands wearing an helmet. When he stopped us in Edo state or shortly before we left Ondo state, Okey exhausted from all the checkpoint made to give him 200 naira, but he refused. He asked for our car papers, looked at them carefully, says that everything is completes and he adds ‘safe journey’. As we drove away I looked back wishing I knew his name” , Chimanmanda Ngozi Adichi

Did she saw an angel or do we still have good policemen?

I really wish i know his name, i will have nominated him for man of the year, lol

http://www.naijareports..com/

do y'all get it. they had been travelling through multiple checkpoints and parting with money more or less at gunpoint. if you've traveled along any major highway, esp in the east - after you have dropped at the past five checkpoints, why would you expect the sixth to be different? its about self preservation before they make up excuses to detain you for an hour plus (no be naija police?)

Kobojunkie:

Yep, we would not be complaining of police collecting bribe if we were not, ourselves, paying them bribe. Sure there are a few honest cops out there but I still believe the only way to stoke this fire is for the people to STOP paying up and accepting the consequence instead.

you would rather be shot dead and paraded on the news as an armed robber shot during an operation shocked shocked
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by Mamajama(m): 5:59pm On Feb 17, 2009
Nigerians are the problem and the government confronting the police force. If your car credentials are up to state you should have no cause for alarm and refused been extorted.

Most Nigerians don’t even have drivers license to operate a vehicle and are quick to condemn the police for extortion when in fact they are the one contributing to the problem.

What we need in police is adequate funding, training and professionalism
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by Kobojunkie: 6:06pm On Feb 17, 2009
oyb:

you would rather be shot dead and paraded on the news as an armed robber shot during an operation shocked shocked

We have been playing the self-preservation CARD for way too long, don’t you think? We refuse to fight our politicians to take back power because we are too afraid that we might be shot and what not.

Like @mamajamma pointed out, if you have your papers in order, stand up for your right. Not everyone who has refused paying bribe has ended up shot. In fact, only hands full have, so I see no reason why we continue to play this card every time we are called to stand up for what is right. If more and more people refuse to pay bribe to these policemen, are you saying all those people will be shot and paraded on the streets as armed robbers?

I remember in the beginning, self-preservation was the excuse used to pay bribe. Now self-preservation is reason not to stop paying bribe?
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by OBVIOUS(m): 6:07pm On Feb 17, 2009
Mamajama:

Nigerians are the problem and the government confronting the police force.  If your car credentials are up to state you should have no cause for alarm and refused been extorted.

Most Nigerians don’t even have drivers license to operate a vehicle and are quick to condemn the police for extortion when in fact they are the one contributing to the problem.

good point there my man. Yes, a Nigerian police can refuse bribe. But just like every other industry and person in Nigeria, its like 1 in a trillion that can actually do this.  

In order for the Nigerian people to stop sympathizing with these HUNGRY LOOKING MEN AND WOMEN, police officers need to be paid adequate salaries that can afford them to pay for basic necessities, but not only that there needs to be a top-bottom approach style in police leadership, restructuring,  and training!
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by Sauron1: 6:08pm On Feb 17, 2009
Mamajama:

Nigerians are the problem and the government confronting the police force.  If your car credentials are up to state you should have no cause for alarm and refused been extorted.

Nigerians are not the problem. . . . .Even when your papers are in the correct order, they still look for ways to squeeze something out!!
Besides, a lot of motorists have been killed because they are loitering around the highway while arguing with Policemen.
There's also the issue of time factor. . . . .Why should i risk being delayed by some buncha thugs in uniform because of 100 naira?
Why not pay em and skip the inconvenience??

True but the ones who do still get harassed. . . .I have heard of situations where Policemen ask for broom and fire extinguisher!!!

Agreed.
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by Nobody: 6:15pm On Feb 17, 2009
Kobojunkie:

We have been playing the self-preservation CARD for way too long, don’t you think? We refuse to fight our politicians to take back power because we are too afraid that we might be shot and what not.

Like @mamajamma pointed out, if you have your papers in order, stand up for your right. Not everyone who has refused paying bribe has ended up shot. In fact, only hands full have, so I see no reason why we continue to play this card every time we are called to stand up for what is right. If more and more people refuse to pay bribe to these policemen, are you saying all those people will be shot and paraded on the streets as armed robbers?

I remember in the beginning, self-preservation was the excuse used to pay bribe. Now self-preservation is reason not to stop paying bribe?

i have always seen driving a car as being in a 'document race' with policemen . you have NO idea how many ridiculous papers they keep dreaming up. do you know there is now a permit for spraying your car, one for changing engine - plus the risk of having the papers organised by the wrong people

don't worry, i'll be right behind you( my er. . .gutsy human shield)  when the fight against the politicians starts.

call it cowardice, but too many nigerians have 'died for nothing' when challenging policemen

at my first place of work, one of us went out to eat at a buka. he came back 30 minutes later, badly shaken. mobile police attached to a task force had stormed the illegal buka. a patron challenged one of them, and he was shot dead. just like that. imagine that. it could have been my colleague. thats what happens when you challenge police, esp if you are not a 'person'. you die for nothing.

i'll bet after all the hullabaloo, arogundade (of civilian beating fame) dey kampe
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by Fhemmmy: 6:17pm On Feb 17, 2009
Yes.
Not all the Nigerian police are messed up, some are good citizen, i think the question should be, can Nigerian leader gives out contracts without brown envelopes exchanging hands?
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by debosky(m): 6:19pm On Feb 17, 2009
~Sauron~:

Nigerians are not the problem. . . . .Even when your papers are in the correct order, they still look for ways to squeeze something out!!
Besides, a lot of motorists have been killed because they are loitering around the highway while arguing with Policemen.

True but the ones who do still get harassed. . . .I have heard of situations where Policemen ask for broom and fire extinguisher!!!
Thank you oh Sharon!

Even when your papers are complete, they will ask you for receipt of the laptop in your bag, the MOT for last year and what not. Even when you provide all the evidence, they can still say 'we have information this is a stolen car' and take you to the station to prove it. Then what?

Countless people have gone into the station and not lived to tell the tale. My driver was detained once for GETTING HIT in an accident, but because the person that hit him was a big man, he got thrown in jail. While he was there, two guys with him in the cell were taken out and SHOT.

Now tell me - If the driver got killed, do you think anyone will ever find out the true reason?

Police can stop accepting bribes, but it is not simply by having your papers and documents complete. They can always look for something to harass you with.  

Fund the police, raise morale and cut out criminal elements where possible.
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by Fhemmmy: 6:22pm On Feb 17, 2009
debosky:

Thank you oh Sharon!

Even when your papers are complete, they will ask you for receipt of the laptop in your bag, the MOT for last year and what not. Even when you provide all the evidence, they can still say 'we have information this is a stolen car' and take you to the station to prove it. Then what?

Countless people have gone into the station and not lived to tell the tale. My driver was detained once for GETTING HIT in an accident, but because the person that hit him was a big man, he got thrown in jail. While he was there, two guys with him in the cell were taken out and SHOT.

Now tell me - If the driver got killed, do you think anyone will ever find out the true reason?

Police can stop accepting bribes, but it is not simply by having your papers and documents complete. They can always look for something to harass you with.  

That is a great point, but then, even the head of the police will put police salary in fixed account to make his or her own money, so sad

1 Like

Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by Mamajama(m): 6:29pm On Feb 17, 2009
Amazing how you guys are saying police are killing people senselessly. Hear say is not a fact. We need to stop spreading this nefarious rumor about trigger happy policemen.

Like I said, if you have no skeleton in your cupboard, take me to the police station, and ask to speak to the DPO or officer in charge, there are process to get this erring officers punished, but Nigerians are too scared to fight for their rights once more. So we result to complying with bribing the officers and never confront the issue head on
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by Nobody: 6:30pm On Feb 17, 2009
debosky:

i have always considered the nigerian police to be a training ground for armed robbers - you learn to use firearma , you learn to be callous, yu learn to kill without compunction -
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by Nobody: 6:31pm On Feb 17, 2009
Mamajama:

Amazing how you guys are saying police are killing people senselessly. Hear say is not a fact. We need to stop spreading this nefarious rumor about trigger happy policemen.

Like I said, if you have no skeleton in your cupboard, take me to the police station, and ask to speak to the DPO or officer in charge, there are process to get this erring officers punished, but Nigerians are too scared to fight for their rights once more. So we result to complying with bribing the officers and never confront the issue head on

we are NOT talking about hearsay. these are second hand accounts. (we thank God they are not first hand)
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by Kobojunkie: 6:36pm On Feb 17, 2009
oyb:

i have always seen driving a car as being in a 'document race' with policemen . you have NO idea how many ridiculous papers they keep dreaming up. do you know there is now a permit for spraying your car, one for changing engine - plus the risk of having the papers organised by the wrong people

The last time I was in the country, I was asked for some idiotic license that I did not have. I told the guy I did not have it and so he should take me in. Took my time but when the man saw I was not budging, he caved and asked me by. I did not get shot. But many of the drivers that passed by me paid without even questioning why they should.

These permits exist because we continue to accept them while playing the Self-preservation card anytime we are called to protest.

oyb:

don't worry, i'll be right behind you( my er. . .gutsy human shield)  when the fight against the politicians starts.

call it cowardice, but too many nigerians have 'died for nothing' when challenging policemen

Here in lies the problem, which is we, as a people are too worried about self-preservation, that when we see people standing up to do right, instead of getting behind them, we creep away and then come back to whine the next day. When do we stop this?

oyb:

at my first place of work, one of us went out to eat at a buka. he came back 30 minutes later, badly shaken. mobile police attached to a task force had stormed the illegal buka. a patron challenged one of them, and he was shot dead. just like that. imagine that.

Am I the only one here that reads the word ILLEGAL up there? What did your friend do? Is he still working today to see to it that justice is served the man whose life was taken or has he, like so many of us do, brush it aside and continue preserving his own life? I am sorry, we can not eat our cake and have it here. Either we make sure we fight for what is right in all areas, or we sit back and stop whining about what we get in our silence and cowardice.

oyb:

it could have been my colleague. thats what happens when you challenge police, esp if you are not a 'person'. you die for nothing.

i'll bet after all the hullabaloo, arogundade (of civilian beating fame) dey kampe

I have a question for you, do you know why Martin Luther king did not die for nothing? Because those left behind made sure he did not. The man died, what did your friend and those who saw it all happen do about it? Is the dead man to blame for his dying for nothing Or the living for doing nothing about his death? When do we stop expecting those who die to finish the fight for us?

Sigh!!!
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by Sauron1: 6:42pm On Feb 17, 2009
Kobojunkie:

The last time I was in the country, I was asked for some idiotic license that I did not have. I told the guy I did not have it and so he should take me in. Took my time but when the man saw I was not budging, he caved and asked me by. I did not get shot. But many of the drivers that passed by me paid without even questioning why they should.

These permits exist because we continue to accept them while playing the Self-preservation card anytime we are called to protest.

U must have a helluva time on your hands to be playing cat-n-mouse with Naija policemen.
They are worse than robbers and be thankful you were not rough-handled!!!

Here in lies the problem, which is we, as a people are too worried about self-preservation, that when we see people standing up to do right, instead of getting behind them, we creep away and then come back to whine the next day. When do we stop this?

Complain and get shot. . . . .It's as simple as that.
By the time news reporters get there, they woulda planted a gun in your pocket and drugs in your car.

Am I the only one here that reads the word ILLEGAL up there? What did your friend do? Is he still working today to see to it that justice is served the man whose life was taken or has he, like so many of us do, brush it aside and continue preserving his own life? I am sorry, we can not eat our cake and have it here. Either we make sure we fight for what is right in all areas, or we sit back and stop whining about what we get in our silence and cowardice.

When was the last time u went to Nigeria??
Nigerians who speak this way irritate me to ma sinews. . . . .Fight policemen in Nigeria?? Are u an alien??

I have a question for you, do you know why Martin Luther king did not die for nothing? Because those left behind made sure he did not. The man died, what did your friend and those who saw it all happen do about it? Is the dead man to blame for his dying for nothing Or the living for doing nothing about his death? When do we stop expecting those who die to finish the fight for us?

Martin Luther King did not fight Civil Liberties in Nigeria. . . . .It's a no brainer.
What justice was done to the killers of the attorney-general(Bola Ige)??
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by tpia: 6:45pm On Feb 17, 2009
The last time I was in the country, I was asked for some idiotic license that I did not have. I told the guy I did not have it and so he should take me in. Took my time but when the man saw I was not budging, he caved and asked me by.

hope you werent driving?

Trust Nigerians to do as they please without regard for authority or any law, then turn round to abuse the system for letting them get away with it!

I'd like to see you try this kind of thing with some redneck police officer in the US!
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by Kobojunkie: 6:50pm On Feb 17, 2009
~Sauron~:

U must have a helluva time on your hands to be playing cat-n-mouse with Naija policemen.
They are worse than robbers and be thankful you were not rough-handled!!!

I was rough-handled and still refused. It is not about having time on my hands but standing strong for what I believe in. I can tell you I was booted out of university in Nigerian simply because I refused paying bribe to my lecturers as well. I paid the consequence for my refusal. Would I do it again? Yes!! Do I wish more and more people will stand up to change things once and for all, no matter the cost. Definitely!!

~Sauron~:

Complain and get shot. . . . .It's as simple as that.
By the time news reporters get there, they woulda planted a gun in your pocket and drugs in your car.

Look, like I already said so many times before. We can continue playing this Self-preservation card if we like. Results are in and it is clear that the card has done more harm than good to the many millions who continue to play it in that country to date.

~Sauron~:

When was the last time u went to Nigeria??

Focus on the issue at hand.

~Sauron~:

Nigerians who speak this way irritate me to ma sinews. . . . .Fight policemen in Nigeria?? Are u an alien??

I have yet to say anything about fighting policemen. . .  Not sure what you are going on about!

~Sauron~:

Martin Luther King did not fight Civil Liberties in Nigeria. . . . .It's a no brainer.
What justice was done to the killers of the attorney-general(Bola Ige)??

See . . .  the wonderful excuse “ THIS IS NIGERIA AND WE ARE ALIENS”, give me a break!!! Did you fight for justice in the case of Bola Ige’s death? It is rather amusing that people who refuse to fight for their right expect things to happen automatically/magically. How can you, living in a corrupt world, which you gladly excuse and accept each day, expect justice be served while you fold your hands to do nothing to make sure it is?
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by tosinaded(m): 6:51pm On Feb 17, 2009
ur papers were complete, so y the 200naira
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by Sauron1: 7:04pm On Feb 17, 2009
Kobojunkie:

I was rough-handled and still refused. It is not about having time on my hands but standing strong for what I believe in. I can tell you I was booted out of university in Nigerian simply because I refused paying bribe to my lecturers as well. I paid the consequence for my refusal. Would I do it again? Yes!! Do I wish more and more people will stand up to change things once and for all, no matter the cost. Definitely!!

U were not rough-handled very well thus your intransigence!!!
If you had lost your kneecap to their bullet, you woulda learnt a lesson by now.
Rule number one: Avoid Naija policemen at all cost. . . .I know people who have lost loved ones to their insanity.

Look, like I already said so many times before. We can continue playing this Self-preservation card if we like. Results are in and it is clear that the card has done more harm than good to the many millions who continue to play it in that country to date.

U are wrong. . . . .People who pay up/bribe live to see another day.
The ones who argue and try to be heroes get shot.
So sad but thatz the reality in Nigeria.

Focus on the issue at hand.

You forced ma hands to ask the question cos not even a visiting Caucasian would say these things. . . . .

I have yet to say anything about fighting policemen. . .  Not sure what you are going on about!

Arguing and refusing to budge to their demands is also fighting. . . . .You were fighting bribery and corruption, innit??

See . . .  the wonderful excuse “ THIS IS NIGERIA AND WE ARE ALIENS”, give me a break!!! Did you fight for justice in the case of Bola Ige’s death? It is rather amusing that people who refuse to fight for their right expect things to happen automatically/magically. How can you, living in a corrupt world, which you gladly excuse and accept each day, expect justice be served while you fold your hands to do nothing to make sure it is?  

ROFLMAO. . . . . . .U have alot to learn.

Fight for justice on whose death?? The victim was shot for fighting for justice and u want to fight it too??
When are you going to admit/accept that Nigeria is not what you think it is??
Injustice is part n parcel of Nigeria. . . . .There's nothing any of us can do with it. It might sound harsh or sad but thatz the naked truth.
Type Nigerian policemen + Kill + Bus drivers on google and see the number of links that would pop up. . . .
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by Nobody: 7:12pm On Feb 17, 2009
who was that 15 year old that policemen killed four or so years ago?

all the noise his family made came to naught. i don't know if they still put ads in the paper on the anniversary of his death sad

so eating at an illegal buka (this was in 2003) is a crime for which you can get shot? the guy did the exact same thing you did - he stood up to the policemen - you did not have a licnse - so you got beat up. he was KILLED.
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by Kobojunkie: 7:15pm On Feb 17, 2009
~Sauron~:

U were not rough-handled very well thus your intransigence!!!

Interesting that you are able to judge this way without ever being there.

~Sauron~:

If you had lost your kneecap to their bullet, you woulda learnt a lesson by now.
Rule number one: Avoid Naija policemen at all cost. . . .I know people who have lost loved ones to their insanity.

You mean pay them bribe and then come back to whine about paying bribe to the police?

~Sauron~:

U are wrong. . . . .People who pay up/bribe live to see another day.

Apparently, many who do not also live to see another day, so what is your point?
That paying bribe is good, hence we should stop whining and enjoy paying bribe?

~Sauron~:

The ones who argue and try to be heroes get shot.
So sad but thatz the reality in Nigeria.

That is not the reality of Nigeria. That is the reality the people have created of Nigeria. I lived in that country when policemen were respected and they respected the citizens as well. I lived in the times when policemen who took bribe were stripped naked and beaten in public; sacked at the end of it all.

~Sauron~:

You forced ma hands to ask the question cos not even a visiting Caucasian would say these things. . . . .

I did not force your hand. You tried to play the “I KNOW MORE THAN YOU DO” card there and if I have to claim you have not been there of recent, I can better support my claim. That only works for those who are not familiar with that game. I remember back when we would call people JJC so we can throw a veil over their eyes and present ourselves as being smarter.

~Sauron~:

Arguing and refusing to budge to their demands is also fighting. . . . .You were fighting bribery and corruption, innit??

Was I fighting the police? YES OR NO!

~Sauron~:

ROFLMAO. . . . . . .U have alot to learn.

Fight for justice on whose death?? The victim was shot for fighting for justice and u want to fight it too??

Did you read your own response? So those who died standing up for their right are to be kicked to the corner as losers? lol

~Sauron~:

When are you going to admit/accept that Nigeria is not what you think it is??
Injustice is part n parcel of Nigeria. . . . .

Well, I can never accept what Nigeria has been allowed to become by the people. Reason being I have seen the good and I know it is possible for us to get up and take it back to where it used to be and better. You are speaking of Nigeria as if it was always this way. If that was the case, then I would cave. However, since what we have today only started a couple of years ago, offering me the “accept it as it is” argument only underlines the main problem we have in that country, and that is people who reason that way.

~Sauron~:

There's nothing any of us can do with it. It might sound harsh or sad but thatz the naked truth.

That is the biggest lie we have continued to tell ourselves for the past 20 years; lies that continue to rob us and our children of a decent life.

~Sauron~:

Type Nigerian policemen + Kill + Bus drivers on google and see the number of links that would pop up. . . .

Typing that into google only proves that we the people need to step up or shut up already!! If you are going to whine about the police manhandling you, you at least need to be willing to stand up to do the right thing on your part. How can you expect good to come from you breaking the law?
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by Kobojunkie: 7:23pm On Feb 17, 2009
oyb:

who was that 15 year old that policemen killed four or so years ago? all the noise his family made came to naught.

So a boy was shot and then what happened? People folded their hands and said “O ma she o”, then what? NOTHING? No demand for justice in his case? No one took the policemen to court on the issue? How many people stood up to demand that the family get justice? How many were willing to persevere to ensure justice is served at the end of all that?

I ask again, why do we expect justice when we fold our arms and do nothing to demand it? Why is it that we want the same corrupt people we complain about to trample upon us and then turn around and give us justice? How does this mindset work?

oyb:

i don't know if they still put ads in the paper on the anniversary of his death sadso eating at an illegal buka (this was in 2003) is a crime for which you can get shot?

Just wondering why you added the word ILLEGAL to it all.

oyb:
the guy did the exact same thing you did - he stood up to the policemen - you did not have a licnse - so you got beat up. he was KILLED.

I did have a license. I had my papers all as required but the man made up some stupid license, claimed that since I did not have it, I would have to pay up. I told him I would be willing to go pay the fee at the station and get the license at the same time.

Now, for the man who is dead, I respect human beings like that. It is unfortunate that he paid with his life, but I do wonder what those left alive and able did to ensure he did not die in vain. Do we expect the dead to come back to fight for us or something? Ever wonder what role your friend was supposed to have played in seeing to it that this man did not die in vain?
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by naijaking1: 7:32pm On Feb 17, 2009
Structurally, the Nigerian Police Force was designed to chop bribe, to be ineffective, and hopelessly bureacratic.
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by Sauron1: 7:34pm On Feb 17, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Interesting that you are able to judge this way without ever being there.

6th sense. . . .U haven't learnt your lessons.

You mean pay them bribe and then come back to whine about paying bribe to the police?

Did u see me complain about them?? Blame the government not the policemen.
How can a man with wife n kids survive on N7500 a month?? Something has to give.

Apparently, many who do not also live to see another day, so what is your point?
That paying bribe is good, hence we should stop whining and enjoy paying bribe?

The ones who live to see another day clearly outnumber the stubborn ones who put their lives at risk.
Paying bribe is not good but what is good in Nigeria?? If they were well-paid would we be here discussing this issue??

That is not the reality of Nigeria. That is the reality the people have created of Nigeria. I lived in that country when policemen were respected and they respected the citizens as well. I lived in the times when policemen who took bribe were stripped naked and beaten in public; sacked at the end of it all.

That must be the stone age era. . . . .I grew up hearing Naija policemen are the most corrupt set of officials in the world.
They set up road blocks to extort motorists and these things are well organised. It gets the blessings of their senior officers.
If u really think police chiefs don't know about the bribery and corruption then you are ignorant.

I did not force your hand. You tried to play the “I KNOW MORE THAN YOU DO” card there and if I have to claim you have not been there of recent, I can better support my claim. That only works for those who are not familiar with that game. I remember back when we would call people JJC so we can throw a veil over their eyes and present ourselves as being smarter.

I am not playing games with you, hombre. . . . .
It's either you don't know what you are talking about OR you know but u choose to pretend.
Whatever the case might be. . . . . .Every straight thinking Nigerian will tell you it's foolish to argue with a gun toting Nigerian policeman.

Was I fighting the police? YES OR NO!

YES. . . . .U were fighting them.
Just because ma lawyer FIGHTS ma case in court does not mean he got into a fist fight with the Judge.

Did you read your own response? So those who died standing up for their right are to be kicked to the corner as losers? lol

Those who died(RIP) made the wrong choice. . . . . .If they could talk, they would tell you they made the dumbest move fighting policemen in Nig.

Well, I can never accept what Nigeria has been allowed to become by the people. Reason being I have seen the good and I know it is possible for us to get up and take it back to where it used to be and better. You are speaking of Nigeria as if it was always this way. If that was the case, then I would cave. However, since what we have today only started a couple of years ago, offering me the “accept it as it is” argument only underlines the main problem we have in that country, and that is people who reason that way.

It's not too late. . . . . . .Organise a boycott in Lagos and start.
Why do u need the next man to power your cause against corruption of the Nigerian Police??
I wish you goodluck in your endeavours. . . . .

That is the biggest lie we have continued to tell ourselves for the past 20 years; lies that continue to rob us and our children of a decent life.

Jesus Wept!!!!

Typing that into google only proves that we the people need to step up or shut up already!! If you are going to whine about the police manhandling you, you at least need to be willing to stand up to do the right thing on your part. How can you expect good to come from you breaking the law?

Who's talking about breaking the law??
Must you break laws to get arrested in Nigeria??
U haven't heard about Policemen acting like bus conductors on buses, call out bus stops to attract passengers and drive them straight into Police Station so their relatives can bail them out with cash?? Your ignorance is making me antsy.
We are talking about an organised level of corruption here not run-of-the-mill bribery and corruption.
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by Nobody: 7:35pm On Feb 17, 2009
Kobojunkie:

So a boy was shot and then what happened? People folded their hands and said “O ma she o”, then what? NOTHING? No demand for justice in his case? No one took the policemen to court on the issue? How many people stood up to demand that the family get justice? How many were willing to persevere to ensure justice is served at the end of all that?

I ask again, why do we expect justice when we fold our arms and do nothing to demand it? Why is it that we want the same corrupt people we complain about to trample upon us and then turn around and give us justice? How does this mindset work?

Just wondering why you added the word ILLEGAL to it all.

I did have a license. I had my papers all as required but the man made up some stupid license, claimed that since I did not have it, I would have to pay up. I told him I would be willing to go pay the fee at the station and get the license at the same time.

Now, for the man who is dead, I respect human beings like that. It is unfortunate that he paid with his life, but I do wonder what those left alive and able did to ensure he did not die in vain. Do we expect the dead to come back to fight for us or something? Ever wonder what role your friend was supposed to have played in seeing to it that this man did not die in vain?

i do not remember the kid's name, but his folks raised all sorts of hell. in the last obit i saw, they actually stated that they got the name of the killer policemen, and gave it to the 'authorities' and nothing was done. do you remember what happened like two weeks ago - the woman who said she was raped by policemen - well lat week, on the radio the police PRO said some stuff to the effect that the woman was mentally disturbed. you should have heard them.

i am sorry, but that guy died for nothing. and if my colleague had challenged the police, the same would probably have
happened happened to him.

Nigeria is no country for heroes
Re: Can A Nigeria Police Refuse Bribe? by agaba123(m): 7:40pm On Feb 17, 2009
yes if the amount is small grin
ooops! 10 x N20 =N200
Good one

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

ACN Wins 19 LGAs In Ogun / Will PDP Win Lagos Come 2015? / Buhari: State Of Nigeria's Education Worrisome, Calls For Serious Concern

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 148
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.