Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,902 members, 7,799,032 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 02:12 PM

Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! - Family (23) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! (51058 Views)

I Hereby Denounce Feminism With Everything In Me. / Feminism: The True Colour / Girl Destroys Feminism In Just 3 Minutes. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by Kay17: 12:08pm On Jun 08, 2015
Timbuktou:

I may have been a janitor, who cares? The fact is I've worked alongside women all this while and the first time I'm hearing all the pay difference tosh is from unemployed people living in a bubble. Do you know even know what a pay-slip looks like, I doubt you do!

From the position of a janitor in five industries, which I'd assume is a vital position and administrative apex to survey the entire Nigerian labour market and come to the conclusion there are no unequal pay issues.
Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by Kay17: 12:11pm On Jun 08, 2015
TV01:

No it does not.

There is no structural impediment to women being paid the same - and it is illegal to discriminate. Any differences are down to choices and negotiating power. And, and, men work harder - and are able to work harder - than women. Fact!

TV

...racial discrimination is a way bigger problem than "gender" discrimination.

Isn't racial discrimination illegal? But it still exists similarly gender discrimination, because of prejudice. You yourself have shown countless times why the woman is an inferior object/entity which deserves domination and domestication.
Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by Nobody: 12:12pm On Jun 08, 2015
Kay17:

From the position of a janitor in five industries, which I'd assume is a vital position and administrative apex to survey the entire Nigerian labour market and come to the conclusion there are no unequal pay issues.

A janitor isn't privy to what his colleagues earn? Who cleans the Accounts Department litter? A janitor usually more access to information than most other staff, fyi. Try again, harder this time.

2 Likes

Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by Kay17: 12:17pm On Jun 08, 2015
bukatyne:

For Nigeria Kay17,

I have never heard of any organization in Nigeria there is a wage gap due to gender.

There is wage gap, however it is due to

*Core business of the organization... (a company in telecoms will pay their IP Engineers and Solution Architects more than their financial staff; An IT person in KPMG would surely be miserable)

*God Fatherism: Who brought you in the organization? Head Hr etc.

*Packaging: How you package yourself... Ajebutter that does shait or Ajepako? Sha just be Ajebutter

*Previous Salary: Some yeye organizations have started asking for last pay slip to benchmark the new one

*Certifications: Some pay according to certifications

*Luck: Some people are just paid more by luck grin

*Starting: In some organizations, how you start determines your pay. If you start as an officer with N200K; you might grow through the ranks earning N600K as a manager. Someone employed as a manager straight up might earn N1m angry with same job and experience.

What sort of organizations do you have in mind?

I personally know firms and offices that have fired women for the crime of pregnancy. But that's my experience, I do not want to generalise nor simplify a complex problem. However I ran into this research thesis, this is more educating than what the denial crowd can offer.

http://www.researchgate.net/profile/Tinuke_Fapohunda/publication/258344013_The_Gender_Pay_Gap_in_Nigeria_Causes_and_Remedies/links/00b7d527fd82a98b06000000.pdf

http://omicsonline.com/open-access/2224-8358/2224-8358-1-186.pdf?aid=19439

http://www.ewp.rpi.edu/jbdn/jbdnv803.pdf
Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by coogar: 12:18pm On Jun 08, 2015
damiso:

Spot on analysis on why there might be pay differences in Nigeria.

Not being able to speak English fluently sef can make people discriminate against you in Nigeria grin In secondary school I was on the debating team and I can never forget one debating competition that we attended. The final was between Vivian Fowler and St Finbarrs College. If you looked at the points marshalled in the debate,St Finbarrs College won hands down but guess who won the debate wink Vivian Fowler. I guess the judges could not get past the foneh and creamness of the Vivian Fowler girls as opposed to the pakoish look and English of the Finbarrs boys. grin grin

Apologies to any alumni of St Finbarrs College on here grin grin grin

christ!
so damiso get mouth like this? you publicly undressed a whole st finbarrs college like this? very unfair. to think this school was one of the best schools in nigeria back then when the catholics handled the administration makes it even more depressing that it has now become a mini-OPC recruitment agency. grin

1 Like

Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by TV01(m): 12:25pm On Jun 08, 2015
Kay17:
You yourself have shown countless times why the woman is an inferior object/entity which deserves domination and domestication.
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin. You people have reduced me to smileys today.

TV

1 Like

Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by SAMBARRY: 12:26pm On Jun 08, 2015
coogar:

christ!
so damiso get mouth like this? you publicly undressed a whole st finbarrs college like this? very unfair. to think this school was one of the best schools in nigeria back then when the catholics handled the administration makes it even more depressing that it has now become a mini-OPC recruitment agency. grin
cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by Ralphlauren(m): 12:28pm On Jun 08, 2015
bukatyne:

Talk like you have hot yam in your mouth and you are the best for the job undecided

Don't also forget to use designer stuffs down to your cufflinks or earrings and ensure you flash them.

God now helps you and you did your masters 'abroad'

Na Godwin be that.

It is so terrible when 5 people in a dept. are not different salary scales (same level o)

Now come from Alapere and Son's Ltd and be in the dept of those from Multinationals (even if they were sweeping there tongue); you will have the technical know how, do most of the work and still be behind salarywise angry sad

Packaging is the way to go cheesy

this situation is not just perculiar to nigeria. it happens abroad too.

i remember my first job as a 'contractor'. i discovered to my dismay, shock and anger few weeks into the job that some members of my team were earning £50 more per day than me - even though we did exactly the same thing (same expectations, same working hours, KPIs, targets, etc).

that experience taught me to do my homework properly and investigate what the company pays before i accept any offer. it also taught me how to negotiate long and hard.
Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by bukatyne(f): 12:40pm On Jun 08, 2015
Kay17:

What sort of organizations do you have in mind?

I personally know firms and offices that have fired women for the crime of pregnancy. But that's my experience, I do not want to generalise nor simplify a complex problem. However I ran into this research thesis, this is more educating than what the denial crowd can offer.

http://www.researchgate.net/profile/Tinuke_Fapohunda/publication/258344013_The_Gender_Pay_Gap_in_Nigeria_Causes_and_Remedies/links/00b7d527fd82a98b06000000.pdf

http://omicsonline.com/open-access/2224-8358/2224-8358-1-186.pdf?aid=19439

http://www.ewp.rpi.edu/jbdn/jbdnv803.pdf

I'm unable to access these links

Will appreciate if you can post them here

Re: the pregnant women, where they sacked because they were pregnant or because they were pregnant one too many times?
Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by bukatyne(f): 12:41pm On Jun 08, 2015
Ralphlauren:

this situation is not just perculiar to nigeria. it happens abroad too.

i remember my first job as a 'contractor'. i discovered to my dismay, shock and anger few weeks into the job that some members of my team were earning £50 more per day than me - even though we did exactly the same thing (same expectations, same working hours, KPIs, targets, etc).

that experience taught me to do my homework properly and investigate what the company pays before i accept any offer. it also taught me how to negotiate long and hard.

Pele, ndo grin
Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by texanomaly(f): 1:14pm On Jun 08, 2015
FrancisTony:

Okay but you actually created a thread for it.

Which thread?
Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by Nobody: 1:32pm On Jun 08, 2015
Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by Nobody: 1:34pm On Jun 08, 2015

1 Like

Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by Nobody: 1:41pm On Jun 08, 2015

2 Likes

Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by bukatyne(f): 1:43pm On Jun 08, 2015
Nonso23:
Kay17 did you read those papers at all ??
I'm done with one of them already and I don't see how they further advance your argument
If anything they bludgeon it to smithereens.
See the posted portions for reference.

Let me read the rest.

Please post the whole article

It would help, thanks
Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by Nobody: 1:53pm On Jun 08, 2015
Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by Nobody: 1:53pm On Jun 08, 2015
texanomaly:

Which thread?
Nairaland tumultuous tsunami wiped it away.
Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by bukatyne(f): 2:00pm On Jun 08, 2015
Nonso23:

I'm on mobile now. I can't post them all but I'll upload them for easier download via NL servers.

Thanks

Going through the first one now
Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by Kay17: 2:06pm On Jun 08, 2015
Nonso23:
Kay17 did you read those papers at all ??
I'm done with one of them already and I don't see how they further advance your argument
If anything they bludgeon it to smithereens.
See the posted portions for reference.

Let me read the rest.

The Abstract

Pay gap between males and females is a major policy concern in national developmental discourse. The paper examines the causes of gender pay gap in Nigeria. The theories proposed in literature suggest three principal causes: differences in human capital, crowding discrimination, and other forms of discrimination. This paper reviews studies on the pay disparities and examines the many explanations for the disparities. It employs both primary and secondary data sources from the Federal Office of Statistics (FOS) and the survey conducted by the researcher. The population for the study comprised teachers, medical doctors and journalists in three local government areas in Lagos Nigeria.Respondents were randomly selected from each of the three professional bodies. 240 questionnaires were administered across of which 185(77 %) made up of 82 (44.3%) females and 103 (55.7%) males were returned in usable condition. Mean comparisons were used to determine significance of differences between the pay of male and female respondents. To reduce the disparities in pay it recommends actions like legislative measures, general recommendations, monitoring procedures and support for low-paid occupations.

Methodology

This study employs both primary and secondary data sources. Secondary data was in form of cross-sectional data from the General Household Survey (GHS) conducted yearly by the Federal Office of Statistics (FOS). Primary data was obtained from the survey conducted by this researcher between in August and October 2012. The population for this study comprised teachers, medical doctors and journalists in four local government areas in Lagos Nigeria. Respondents were randomly selected from each of the three professional bodies of the doctors, teachers and journalists. 240 questionnaires were administered of which 185(77 %) made up of 82 (44.3%) females and 103 (55.7%) males were returned in usable condition. Mean comparisons were used to determine significance of differences between the pay of male and female respondents.

Results

Table 1 Actual Pay of Male and Female Professionals Salary =N= Salary =N= Occupation Male Female Male Female Doctors 42 17 =N=2,056,000 =N=1,904000 Journalists 48 26 =N=1,408,000 =N=1,296,000 Teachers 13 39 =N=1,299,200 =N=1,187,200 Total 103 82 Table 1 gives the average actual salary of male and female professionals in the three occupations. The indication is that male doctors had a mean annual pay of =N=2,056,000, while their female counterparts only had a mean annual pay of =N=1,904,000 giving an annual difference of =N=152,000.For the journalists there was a mean of =N=1,408,000 for males as against =N=1,296,000 for the while females resulting in a difference of=N=112,000. Again for the teachers (a profession dominated by females) the mean annual pay for males was =N=1,299,200 and that of the females was=N=1,187,200 giving a difference of =N=112,000 annually. 72 (38.9%) of the respondents indicate that gender pay gap is due to the effects of different reward structures to human capital and differences in the average percentage of females in the individual's occupation. 52 (28.2%) indicate that gender the pay gap is due to crowding discrimination while thought it was due to sheer stereotypes and overt discrimination.

Recommendations

This paper recommends the reduction of the gender pay gap through initiatives that combat occupational segregation and address women’s labour market segregation. Government policies should promote equal opportunities for males and females in the workplace by reducing the gender pay gap; increasing availability of quality, part-time work, introducing gender duty and ensuring career guidance that is free from gender stereotyping. Pay differences must be carefully monitored and pay measures benefiting low-paid occupations should be introduced to improve the incomesituation of females. The initiatives should seek support for female careerdevelopment through new measures on parental leave and care services, in particular increasingthe number of crèches and introducing parental leave periods reserved for fathers, in order to balance the distribution of family care obligations between men and women.Awareness raising initiatives among employers and the wider public should be supported to share experiences and develop strategies as well as sending gender equality delegations to schools, improving conditions at workplaces, facilitating the combination of parenting and working, and increasing investment in women’s entrepreneurial activities. Legislative support for collective bargaining on gender equality should be considered and multi industry agreement on gender balance and gender occupational equality. Some have advocated for provisions for mandatory quotas for women in boardrooms, voluntary quotas for women in management, corporate governance codes to promote better representation of women in senior managements.Women must be encouraged into male occupations. The crowding effect causes society to produce too much of the outputs that uses "underpriced" female labour. Over production leads to a simple supply and demand dilemma for female labour so that when supply exceeds demand price falls even further. There is need to clarify, streamline and enforce existing laws and regulations. Next is the issue of policy perceptions. There must therefore be concerted efforts to educate the public that the aim of quota policies is to "equalize" the fairness of the labour market and ensure a more efficient allocation of resources.

Conclusion

This study found that the effects of crowding discrimination, differences in individual characteristics account for the gender pay gap and that that labour market discrimination against females persists. Since economic growth is largely dependent on the wellbeing of women, improving the status of women is not simply about social justice and human rights but economic growth. Unequal treatments bring about inefficient allocation of resources. A nation’s competitiveness is jeopardized when skilled workers from any segment are excluded arbitrarily from employment opportunities or prevented from working up to full potential because of discriminatory practices, hostile workplace environment, or unnecessary inflexible employment policies. Organizations who want to gain competitive edge and advantage cannot overlook necessary skills and experience merely because of gender. This is a principle underlying efforts to attract a diverse work force.
Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by Nobody: 2:06pm On Jun 08, 2015

1 Like

Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by Nobody: 2:14pm On Jun 08, 2015
Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by damiso(f): 2:17pm On Jun 08, 2015
coogar:

christ!

I did not mean it as undressing grin I was just alluding to the 'packaging' that Bukatyne was talking about. I actually admitted that the St Finbarrs boys had a superior argument even if they did not speak 'foneh'. grin

I do know it was one of the best schools in Nigeria but their standards just went down after they became Jakande schools. Even with that I have older cousins, uncles and aunties who went to those schools in their 'Jakande' status and went on to do very well academically.
Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by bukatyne(f): 2:36pm On Jun 08, 2015
Nonso23:

Can't upload the second. NL servers is returning unexpected error messages.
File is larger than 250kb

Ok, then

Done with the first one and the conclusion seems not to tally with the findings...

The men and women are happy with their packages and jobs/positions

It seems they set out to prove that there is a gender gap, were unable to prove it so they just did wuruwuru conclusion to back themselves up.
Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by Nobody: 3:49pm On Jun 08, 2015
Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by bukatyne(f): 4:50pm On Jun 08, 2015
Nonso23:

The second isn't very different just bulkier.
The third seems like a plagiarism of the colorist article sorta with certain questionable approaches too.

Interesting

I really doubt that there is gender gap in wages in Nigeria
Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by Nobody: 4:55pm On Jun 08, 2015
Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by kaboninc(m): 6:59pm On Jun 08, 2015
Nonso23:

There is no such thing as far as I'm concerned.
Like someone initially challenged .. let the names of the companies be stated here.

Sorry to derail but how do you call the attention of these moderators because it seems the mails are just not working.
Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by kaboninc(m): 7:40pm On Jun 08, 2015
Kay17:

The labels superior and inferior are indeed derogatory. Since a woman can not govern the most basic unit of society, she is neither expected to Lord over larger social units. That kind of disqualifies her for lack of experience grin .

Although it is customary for the husband to take the alpha role but i think a marriage as a form of friendship and partnership with mutual respect and loyalty exchanged between is more healthy. Rather than have a man virtually lording over another person.

Another problem is how romanticized the traditional marriage arrangement has been made to look. The husband guards but governs the wife. The wife out of her deepseated lack of self and weakness, is graceful for the security and submits herself. But in reality, the governance by the man is not always pleasurable.

I don't even know where to start.
Like I said it is customary for a man to head a home - even when it is the smallest unit of a society. In most (or all) societies where men live, the headship of such a community is always bestowed on a male. Some communities might have a queen but should there be a king, he lords over. A woman can head groups within a community - such groups may include men but these are rarely found.

Most ladies talk about friendship and partnership within a marriage to justify their claim of equal opportunity in such relationships. But they forget to realise that even in partnerships or a gathering or an association, there must be a form of leadership and whoever assumes such role is seen as the head. For example, we all agree to have equal stake in the Nigerian project but President Buhari comes first as he's our leader - this time elected.

Same applies in a family. Naturally a man assumes that leadership position. Should he abdicate his duties to a woman (like Kay) then so be it. However, should Kay come in contact with the extended family, she's under the headship of a man - even when she may be older.

You talk about a man guarding and at the same time governing the wife while the wife in returns is grateful for this form of security provided for her. I think every woman, as an item in her priority list has the issue of security. The other being care. This extends to even the animals. That's the nature of a woman. A woman wants a man who'll take care of her needs - financially, materially and even to some extent, emotional and psychological needs.

What's even your point in all of this?

That as part of equal rights and opportunities, you should be allowed to head a home?
Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by Ewuro4: 7:56pm On Jun 08, 2015
I ransacked Google, read the articles even before when Kay brought up the Topic, just to clear up these 'gender pay gap' assertions. It's all propaganda to rebellion. Besides its illegal.

Let's see ... started same career with a male colleague in 1999 & started with same pay scale. Took mat leave in 2003 , sick leave in 2004, another mat leave in 2008, numerous leave of absence (to tend to the kids/family issues), berieved in 2009 and another mat leave in 2011. Which during all these the male colleague only took his accurred vac. Leave once every two years. In 2009 during bereavement an excess revenue was declared by the firm and bonus was shared according to employee accrual. He got $4k gross while she only $1.5.
No cheating here, the earning summary is written in every pay stubs. Oh by the way, he's making $7 more , why ? employee's incurred worked hrs + overtime automatically increase your wage scale. Ex. 1000hrs = .50c .

2 Likes

Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by Kay17: 9:33am On Jun 09, 2015
Nonso23:

ABSTRACT

Although there are numerous publications on job satisfaction, there have been relatively
very little empirical data on the job satisfaction of male and female bank managers in
general and still less on the impact of salary differential on the job satisfaction of male and
female bank managers in Nigeria.

CONCLUSION

Overall, it can be deduced from this research work on gender gap and its implication on management practice in Nigeria Banking sector by comparing men and women bank managers, it found out women are satisfied with their job. This paints a bleak picture for the development of this rapidly developing nation because the management skills of both male and female professionals are necessary for the country to promote and maintain sustainable economic growth. The study found that female bank managers hold positive perceptions about their pay and promotion policies, which generates high job satisfaction, while their male counterparts hold favorable opinions about pay and promotion policies. The different perceptions of the sexes may stem primarily from the discrepancy in the salary levels of the genders. Education and experience contributed a great deal to the gender gap in Nigeria. Educational attainment seems to be an important
variable in determining the satisfaction with pay managers in the banking industry. One
may conclude that, as education levels increase, the levels of mobility satisfaction and job
satisfaction may also increase, because increases in education increase the amount of job
responsibility and income employees expect to receive. Considering that African women
are becoming leading and productive contributors to the economy, their access to all levels. Education, including higher education, will significantly determine a change in gender
inequality in the workforce
. This access to education and the subsequent benefits to
women’s employment 84 and promotional opportunities will affect their attitudes in a
positive way and increase their level of job satisfaction.

Recommendations

RECOMMENDATION
In light of the findings in this research, these recommendations could be considered.
1) Management should ensure that female manager should be given upward mobility in
taking responsibility in there various departments. This will ensure better attitude
towards work from the female manager.
2) Male and female should be given the same remunerations in there position, so as to
increase the rate of effectiveness in the banking sector.

3) Management should break “the glass ceiling by paying both sexes comparable
benefit for comparable work responsibilities. This will increase satisfaction,
performance and productivity.
4) It is also in the best interest for management to retain and promote the qualified
employees, and should be based on merit and performance that will enhance
upward mobility in the female managers.
5) Management should ensure that performance evaluations are fair and bias-free, and
promotion based on merit and performance will perceive by workers fair and
equitable, to encourage better performance and lead to a greater degree of job
satisfaction and ultimately higher productivity.
6) The research find out that man has more advanced education degree than women.
It’s therefore recommended that management should encourage women to pursue
for advanced degree by offering scholarships, grant, work release programs, and to
the middle and top management position in the banking sector
Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by Nobody: 9:40am On Jun 09, 2015
Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by Nobody: 9:42am On Jun 09, 2015

(1) (2) (3) ... (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (Reply)

"She Lied To Me For Six Years" Heartbroken Man Cries Out After DNA Result / New Japanese Device Allows Dads To Breastfeed Their Babies / Married, But Living As Single

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.