Stats: 3,148,873 members, 7,802,808 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:12 PM

Ribadu, Mark Clash Over National Assembly Budget - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ribadu, Mark Clash Over National Assembly Budget (28400 Views)

Southern Leaders Meet In Lagos Over National Unity / Saraki Fails To Disclose National Assembly Budget / Massive Protest In Enugu Over National Assembly Election Result (2) (3) (4)

Ribadu, Mark Clash Over National Assembly Budget by LocalChamp: 2:52am On Jun 02, 2015
Ribadu, Mark clash over National Assembly budget

JUNE 2, 2015 : CHUKWUDI AKASIKE

A former Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, Nuhu Ribadu and the outgoing Senate President, David Mark, on Monday disagreed on the need for National Assembly to cut its budget in line with the current economic realities in the country.

They spoke at a retreat organised for the Peoples Democratic Party National Assembly members-elect in Port Harcourt, Rivers state.

Ribadu had stirred up a hornet’s nest by calling on the lawmakers-elect to make their monthly salaries public and also cut their budgets. His call immediately attracted side talks by the participants which included governors and the leadership of the PDP.

Obviously aware that his advice was not being welcomed by majority of the lawmakers-elect, the former anti-corruption czar, reminded them that they would be going to the National Assembly as the minority.

He said that Nigerians would not support the PDP if they (Nigerians) did not know what was earmarked for the National Assembly and how much a senator or a House of Representatives member earns.

Ribadu, who was the PDP’s Adamawa State governorship candidate for the March 28 election, pointed out that patriotism and quality contributions by members of the PDP in the National Assembly would go a long way in reinventing and preparing the party for a successful comeback in future elections.

He said, “If Nigerians do not know how much is earmarked for the National Assembly or how much money a senator earns, they will not support you. We must understand the pulse or the mood of the nation.

“The first step, therefore, is to open up the National Assembly by ensuring transparency. Public office is what it is; public. Also, at this critical time of austerity, be champions by slashing your own budget.

“My very good friend, Ben Bruce (a senator-elect) has already spoken about this. There are many others already saying it. For you to excel, you must put in extra effort than your colleagues in other parties.”

He stressed that the PDP lawmakers-elect must not only be champions of probity and discipline, they must wage war against corruption in the system and ensure strict compliance with appropriation as well as due process.

Ribadu added, “As legislators, you will be going to the National Assembly as the minority. There is a sense of personal loss no doubt; but there are good opportunities for all and democratic practice in Nigeria.

“Your patriotism and quality contributions as members of the National Assembly will go a long way in reinventing our party and preparing it for a successful comeback in subsequent elections.

“You must demonstrate personal will and commitment towards being above board if you really want to checkmate others. The first charge for you is to be champions of probity in the workings of the National Assembly as well as the Legislature-Executive relations.”

But Mark, who showed his dissatisfaction with Ribadu’s charge, wondered why “every time, people will talk about National Assembly budget.”

Explaining that the budget of the Assembly had always been in public domain, the outgoing President of the Senate argued that Senators and House of Representatives members had always made sacrifices in line with the nation’s economic realities.

“Every time, people will talk about National Assembly budget; for Heaven’s sake, unless you would say you have never seen the national budget, it is a public document. The National Assembly budget is there with every other budget,” he stated in an angry tone.

Mark,who added that the National Assembly members “ were the first to make a cut in 2015 budget,” said that “ people should appreciate what we are doing and not to come and give an impression that our budget is bloated while every other person had made a cut.”

He stated further, “We are trying our best more than any ministry today. I can put my hand on my chest without fear of contradiction at all and say we made a lot of sacrifices in our budgeting system.

“Our budget is open; what we earn as National Assembly members is open. If anybody wants to receive his salary and donate it, he is free to do so. He does not need to consult us. I think we should not play politics with what is a very serious issue. Our budget is in the open and everybody can see it.”

Mark however charged the PDP lawmakers-elect and other PDP members to always speak in one voice.

He said, “We must subject our individual interest for our group interest. In the election of principal officers of National Assembly, we must vote in one accord. We must know that united we stand, divided we fall.

“We must take our destinies in our hands. We must be ready to provide credible, vibrant, determined and focused opposition to the party in power in a manner that would guarantee development and good governance.

“In doing so, we must maintain a strong synergy between our members in the National Assembly and the National Working Committee. The PDP is still a brand all Nigerians know. We just need to reinvent the wheels and move forward.”

He decried the spate of defections from the PDP to the All Progressives Congress after the elections and appealed to those remaining to be steadfast with the ideology of the party.

In his keynote address , Deputy Senate President Ike Ekweremadu maintained that playing the role of the opposition was not a death sentence, but a soul searching for the way out of the predicament.

Ekweremadu stated that the PDP stood a great chance of regaining power in 2019 should its members put their house in order.

He added that the governors elected on the platform of the PDP were expected to play a major role in restoring the party’s fortunes.

Ekweremadu said, “May I also remind you that you have a big role to play in restoring the political fortunes of the PDP because PDP governed-states will now be the major yardsticks for evaluating our performance in the next four years.

“I call on you to demonstrate unbeatable and undisputable capacity for good governance such as would stand the PDP-governed states out as models in uncommon transformation and actualisation of all the blessings and promises that democracy holds.”

Earlier, Governors of Rivers State, Nyesom Wike, Seriake Dickson of Bayelsa; and other governors, who were elected on the platform of the PDP gave various strategies on how the party could regain power at the centre in 2019.

http://www.punchng.com/news/ribadu-mark-clash-over-national-assembly-budget/

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ribadu, Mark Clash Over National Assembly Budget by pedel: 3:16am On Jun 02, 2015
Nuhu Ribadu has no business being in the PDP, but as they say; "everybody has their price"

We will see how PDP are going to survive as opposition for the next four years; Even if the APC misbehaves it will be hard for PDP to complain as they (the PDP) have perpetuated all sort of mis-governance known to man and it would mean them attacking the rules they set while they were in power. Can PDP now say 'stealing is corruption' now if APC start to steal?

It is hard for a man to start learning to write with left hand in old age.

As for the budget and national assembly's salary; Senators in Nigeria should not be earning more than the American president. All their basic pay and allowance should be the same as applicable in other third world countries.

70 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ribadu, Mark Clash Over National Assembly Budget by Nobody: 3:38am On Jun 02, 2015
I don't know but sth keep telling me that ribadu is APC mole in PDP

Re: Ribadu, Mark Clash Over National Assembly Budget by otipoju(m): 4:20am On Jun 02, 2015
Telling PDP politicians not to be corrupt is like telling a tortoise to fly..its not possible

54 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ribadu, Mark Clash Over National Assembly Budget by dre11(m): 4:26am On Jun 02, 2015
It is a pity Ribadu found himself in the midst of looters in PDP who are not ready to sacrifice their luxury for the well being of Nigerians. David Mark is one of the biggest destroyer of the Nigerian economy and nation; not willing to sacrifice an inch of his luxury for the repair & restoration of Nigeria to improve the life of citizens. David Mark's words have always be anti-human and irrelevant; from the likes of 'telephone is not for the poor' to this recent utterrances, His name should be changed to Judas Stone.

70 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ribadu, Mark Clash Over National Assembly Budget by fitzmayowa: 4:29am On Jun 02, 2015
otipoju:
Telling PDP politicians not to be corrupt is like telling a tortoise to fly..its not possible

You are getting it wrong, when it comes to money in the national assembly there is no opposition, they are always united, so pointing accusing fingers at PDP guys alone in the national assembly is very wrong....

We also have APC senators/reps in the assembly and none of them said anything about the waste of national fund going on in the house, all in the name of running the "legislative" arm of government...

38 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Ribadu, Mark Clash Over National Assembly Budget by KnowAll(m): 4:36am On Jun 02, 2015
A Ribadu / Ben Bruce run for d top job might give Buhari some nightmares? In present day Nigeria integrity sells & these guys could possibly give Buhari a run 4 his money.

To be noted :

1.Buhari by not declaring his assets publicly has started with d wrong footing.

2. Aisha's 10 million watch does not sound austere for an integrity czar like Buhari.

3. Appointing 2 people 4 basically what is d same job smacks of cluelessness 4 use a better word.

4. The jury is still out on Buhari, we are watching.

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ribadu, Mark Clash Over National Assembly Budget by Pavore9: 4:44am On Jun 02, 2015
When it comes to their welfare package, legislators from both parties become one! angry

Re: Ribadu, Mark Clash Over National Assembly Budget by Bevista: 6:30am On Jun 02, 2015
I've never really been a fan of David Mark, he's too conservative for my liking. He doesn't like to rock the boat, he'd rather maintain a corrupt status quo.

Thank goodness he'll no longer be the Senate President. Wish he didn't even return to the Hallowed Chambers.

Re: Ribadu, Mark Clash Over National Assembly Budget by idupaul: 6:36am On Jun 02, 2015
This David Mark is too greedy joor, see how he reacted abeg

Re: Ribadu, Mark Clash Over National Assembly Budget by TeamSimple(m): 6:40am On Jun 02, 2015
I see him decamping to APC soonest..
Re: Ribadu, Mark Clash Over National Assembly Budget by brixton: 6:47am On Jun 02, 2015
Preach it czar, we need more men like you in the People's Democratic Party!!

Re: Ribadu, Mark Clash Over National Assembly Budget by adonismuller(m): 7:50am On Jun 02, 2015
All these Northerners will be forming saint when their oga from Daura has refused to declare his assets open...who is deceiving who?

Is it by cutting down pay? I swear those National Assembly members does not even touch half of their pay,the money they get from bribery and contract is even enough to pay Nigerian Youths.

They should stop coming to public to make statements that seem to portray them as good people,they should just steal all they want but provide us with electricity,security and employment.

P.s....Ribadu is more of APC to PDP,the earlier PDP realise that the better!!!

Re: Ribadu, Mark Clash Over National Assembly Budget by folabayo1(f): 7:51am On Jun 02, 2015
See them clashing ontop our money SMH undecided

Re: Ribadu, Mark Clash Over National Assembly Budget by lordtech(m): 7:52am On Jun 02, 2015
idupaul:
This David Mark is too greedy joor, see how he reacted abeg

Lol wink
Re: Ribadu, Mark Clash Over National Assembly Budget by Rexceedo: 7:52am On Jun 02, 2015
We Believe in the Resurrection....
PDP!!!!!

Re: Ribadu, Mark Clash Over National Assembly Budget by 1stola: 7:52am On Jun 02, 2015
David Mark (the rogue) is one of our major problem in Nigeria.
The guy is a bloody useless thief and I don't know whether in the whole of Benue State, the guy is the best person that can represent them. Even the major road to his house is in a bad shape but he flies choppers around.
Since 1999, he has kept on increasing allowance for himself and other members of the senate.
As at 1999, their total remuneration was about 3 million Naira in a month. Today, it's nothing less than 30 million Naira per month.
Thank God the rogue will never be our senate president again.
God punish am. angry

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ribadu, Mark Clash Over National Assembly Budget by jorlons(m): 7:53am On Jun 02, 2015
I really don't know why patriotism is non-existent in this part of the world. Selfishness is celebrated more than selflessness.

David mark has been enriched probably more than any senator alive today, but just take a look at his attitudinal display. For God's sake when is "enough" ?? Nigeria is bleeding on all sides and I ask when is "enough" ?? Poverty is on the rise, our infrastructures are dilapidated, our economy is free falling, our environment is in a mess and others too numerous to mention.

Despite the daily cries from Nigerians from all walks of life, these politicians have turned their backs on our plight and shielded their conscience from our pleas, yet like the wife whose husband cheated on, we still plead with them to change their ways and seeing their attitude I ask when is "enough" ??

Enough of the heartlessness, deceitfulness, bondage, greediness, un-patriotism.

We just might have to start asking God to inflict an incapacitating illness on our evil leaders.

Re: Ribadu, Mark Clash Over National Assembly Budget by realone2012: 7:53am On Jun 02, 2015
PLS, LIKE MY POST FOR NO REASON. THANKS!!

Re: Ribadu, Mark Clash Over National Assembly Budget by Brugo(m): 7:54am On Jun 02, 2015
Ribadu has forgotten that he is in PDP. David Mark's response looks like that of a man who has something to hide. It is obvious that transparency is one concept alien to the PDP.

It would be interesting to watch David Mark speak from the floor of the house knowing fully well that his opinion does not count. cheesy I bet he would become one of those truant legislators who appear only once in 3 months.

The wind of change is blowing.

Re: Ribadu, Mark Clash Over National Assembly Budget by princemillla(m): 7:54am On Jun 02, 2015
Bunch of morons. Becoming an opposition party was never in their plan. After Nigerians gave you a Good upper cut, now u want to demostrate to us u can deliver.

Someone should remind this people, they decieved us for Good 16 years,

Like the yoruba will say, iyan ogun odun, on gbona felifeli

Meaning : we shall for ever remember their actions

Re: Ribadu, Mark Clash Over National Assembly Budget by niceguy7(m): 7:54am On Jun 02, 2015
Ghen ghen they hv started again ooo.....
Awon oniyeye agbaya.

Re: Ribadu, Mark Clash Over National Assembly Budget by horlabiyi(m): 7:55am On Jun 02, 2015
Bye
Re: Ribadu, Mark Clash Over National Assembly Budget by bonechamberlain(m): 7:55am On Jun 02, 2015
hmm... I can see why David mark wants to die in the senate. the kind of money those guys take for doing almost nothing is enough to send them to jail for fraud. and for ribadu he has suddenly found his voice he should know that as a PDP man he should make indirect statements when trying to castigate his party. better still he can decamp.

Re: Ribadu, Mark Clash Over National Assembly Budget by PStacks(m): 7:55am On Jun 02, 2015

I dey laff.

I tot Nuhu ribadu and El-rufai started out.

Today, El-rufai is governor and Nuhu ribadu is trying to champion a Change reform in a PDP camp..

You can't preach an APC message in a PDP gathering..

Nuhu ribadu should just do the needful, Dump their sorry-ass in the PDP and join his man El-rufai in the APC.

PDP can never change..

If I was David Mark, I would have resigned with Goodluck Jonathan's departure, but our shameless greedy politicians never resign.

Re: Ribadu, Mark Clash Over National Assembly Budget by Elslim: 7:55am On Jun 02, 2015
david mark was laying without shame

Re: Ribadu, Mark Clash Over National Assembly Budget by Nobody: 7:55am On Jun 02, 2015
Re: Ribadu, Mark Clash Over National Assembly Budget by niceguy7(m): 7:56am On Jun 02, 2015
TeamSimple:
I see him decamping to APC soonest..
No more entry!!!

Re: Ribadu, Mark Clash Over National Assembly Budget by modath(f): 7:56am On Jun 02, 2015
Ribadu, I hope will still serve Nigeria, he has a deep love for the country and one misstep shouldn't spell the end of his desire to serve the nation... He means well.

As for David Mark,how he covertly coerced the RMAFC into subtly increasing the NASS annual budget from 50bn to 150bn without causing any uproar still remains a great mystery... Secrecy in NASS spending should be one of the first things to go!!!

Re: Ribadu, Mark Clash Over National Assembly Budget by obiobigbo1: 7:57am On Jun 02, 2015
otipoju:
don't forget that tortoise borrowed feathers to make it's way to heaven.......... So nothing is impossible grin

Re: Ribadu, Mark Clash Over National Assembly Budget by Oildichotomy(m): 7:57am On Jun 02, 2015
Re: Ribadu, Mark Clash Over National Assembly Budget by alaoeri: 7:57am On Jun 02, 2015
There is nothing Ribadu will say that ppl will take him serious because he really goofed with his political carrier.

Photos Of Buhari At A Meeting With Parents Of Chibok Girls Today / Fulani Man Threatens Nigerians Wishing For Buhari's Death / Igbo Quit Notice: I'm Ready To Be Arrested - Arewa Youth Leader, Yerima.

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51