Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,022 members, 7,807,002 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:24 AM

Forces President Buhari Must Fight To Fix Electricity – Chinedu Nebo - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Forces President Buhari Must Fight To Fix Electricity – Chinedu Nebo (36168 Views)

Chinedu Nebo: Nigeria Is Angry With Igbos' Growth, Development / Why Power Supply Improved Under Buhari, By Nebo / Chinedu Nebo Backs Buhari’s Anti-graft War (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Forces President Buhari Must Fight To Fix Electricity – Chinedu Nebo by lalasticlala(m): 10:17am On Jun 02, 2015
Prof. Chinedu Nebo, Former Minister of Power, has disclosed excuses why the government he served for two years and three months could not deliver reliable electricity power supply to Nigerians. He attributed the failure to inadequate gas supply and vandalism, even as he was not miserly in his suggestions to the new Muhammadu Buhari administration on what to do, to get it right.

He was, however, quick to point out that the huge investments in the National Integrated Power Project (NIPP) and other investments in power generation had led to a historic 6000 mega watts installed generation capacity at handover. For President Muhammadu Buhari, Nebo had a word of advice: “Wield the big stick and ensure there is gas to power if power generation is to improve.”

Right before the handover, Nebo said in an exclusive interview: “I hate excuses. But I would say that commitments were made to give us gas, but we didn’t get the gas. It is just as simple as that. It is very painful. I also blame vandalism. But much of the blame goes to the oil firms and gas producers for what I consider their hypocrisy.

He accused gas producers of being more interested in exporting the nation’s gas and diverting what remained for the domestic market to industries, instead of the power sector where it is greatly needed.

On generation, he said: “I regard the NIPP project as a huge benefit to this country. It wasn’t President Goodluck Jonathan’s administration that started it. It was started under the Olusegun Obasanjo administration, but it was left to fizzle out until President Jonathan came on board. He re-energised it and got all the three arms of government to agree to continue and complete the 10 plants.”

But my two regrets, however, are that we lost the war against vandalism and we lost the war against inadequate gas supply.

Speaking on vandalism, he noted: “I do hope that the administration would also fight vandalism and bring the vandals to their knees. If we don’t do that, we are still going to have a problem. Every two weeks, the gas pipelines are blown up. It takes two weeks to fix them only for them to be blown up again within 24 to 48 hours of fixing.”

“It cost over N120 million and thereabouts every month to fix the pipelines that are damaged. But recently, it is costing over N1billion plus to make sure that the integrity of the transportation of the gas-to- pipeline is maintained.

On how to solve the power supply problem, Nebo said: “The best way, the quickest way, the most inexpensive way of making sure that Nigerians get power, adequate power and eventually 24/7 power is embedded generation or distributed power. If you have embedded generation, 10mws or 20mws, by the time you put 20mws in 10 different places, you would have 200mws. You can do that in one year. But for a mega 200, 400, or 500mw plant, it is a different thing entirely.

“While in one year, you can have 50 of 20mws plants that translate to 1000mws, trying to do one mega plant of 1000mws takes five years. This means that we can actually give Nigerians 2000mws of power by embedded generation or distributed power every year, till the year 2020. With that, we will meet our target.”

He further called for action on the Petroleum Industry Bill (PIB) part, noting that it would liberalize the market, and make it easier for more gas to be available.

http://www.nigerianmonitor.com/2015/06/02/forces-president-buhari-mut-fight-to-fix-electricity-chinedu-nebo/#

7 Likes

Re: Forces President Buhari Must Fight To Fix Electricity – Chinedu Nebo by ricsman(m): 10:20am On Jun 02, 2015
hmmm
see who is talking!
what was he doing all through his tenure?
guess he was handcuffed.
anyway PMB will do the needful
cheers Nigeria

51 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Forces President Buhari Must Fight To Fix Electricity – Chinedu Nebo by missKiffy(f): 10:21am On Jun 02, 2015
Buhari start fighting them biko

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Forces President Buhari Must Fight To Fix Electricity – Chinedu Nebo by Iroh88(m): 10:22am On Jun 02, 2015
Did Nebo try to fight these "forces" during his time??

30 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Forces President Buhari Must Fight To Fix Electricity – Chinedu Nebo by baybeeboi: 10:22am On Jun 02, 2015
the oil and gas producers happen to be Nigeria's number one problem.

These guys should be put to order ASAP.

17 Likes

Re: Forces President Buhari Must Fight To Fix Electricity – Chinedu Nebo by Dannyset(m): 10:23am On Jun 02, 2015
Forces? These people are very funny at times. Well, he knows and understand better. So PMB should just heed some of his advice. But if he's trying to find his way back to that sector, then he should be one of the forces that should be dealt with.
Its better for some people to shut their trap and allow investigation to reveal things than disturbing the peace of Nigeria with their blabbs.

15 Likes

Re: Forces President Buhari Must Fight To Fix Electricity – Chinedu Nebo by Realdeals(m): 10:23am On Jun 02, 2015
Hummn!

1 Like

Re: Forces President Buhari Must Fight To Fix Electricity – Chinedu Nebo by Beremx(f): 10:23am On Jun 02, 2015
Iroh88:
I wonder!

4 Likes

Re: Forces President Buhari Must Fight To Fix Electricity – Chinedu Nebo by Elslim: 10:24am On Jun 02, 2015
wtches nd wizard nko?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Forces President Buhari Must Fight To Fix Electricity – Chinedu Nebo by DropShot: 10:24am On Jun 02, 2015
If our new president fails to give much more improved power supply during his 1st tenure, he will lose in 2019. in fact APC will lose woefully.

Power, Corruption, Unemployment and NNPC reform are the main things. If he fails in them, he will go.

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Forces President Buhari Must Fight To Fix Electricity – Chinedu Nebo by POPdecorator: 10:24am On Jun 02, 2015
After bokoharam na fire next

1 Like

Re: Forces President Buhari Must Fight To Fix Electricity – Chinedu Nebo by nerodenero: 10:24am On Jun 02, 2015
On how to solve the power supply problem, Nebo said: “The best way, the quickest way, the most inexpensive way of making sure that Nigerians get power, adequate power and eventually 24/7 power is embedded generation or distributed power. If you have embedded generation, 10mws or 20mws, by the time you put 20mws in 10 different places, you would have 200mws. You can do that in one year. But for a mega 200, 400, or 500mw plant, it is a different thing entirely.
We know the solution to our challenges but people that benefits enormously from our collective pain will never allow it work.

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Forces President Buhari Must Fight To Fix Electricity – Chinedu Nebo by agarawu23(m): 10:25am On Jun 02, 2015
he couldn't get the job done while in office and he is giving silly excuses.

buhari , regular electricity in nigeria will tag you the word called "HERO" . a beg help us embarassed

9 Likes

Re: Forces President Buhari Must Fight To Fix Electricity – Chinedu Nebo by baybeeboi: 10:25am On Jun 02, 2015
Iroh88:

please, go back, take ur time and read the article very well....don't be in a rush to comment.

23 Likes

Re: Forces President Buhari Must Fight To Fix Electricity – Chinedu Nebo by chikeorji123(m): 10:26am On Jun 02, 2015
And when you are giving that opportunity what did you archive with it undecided.

1 Like

Re: Forces President Buhari Must Fight To Fix Electricity – Chinedu Nebo by Mutuwa(m): 10:26am On Jun 02, 2015
undecided
Re: Forces President Buhari Must Fight To Fix Electricity – Chinedu Nebo by 9ijagists: 10:26am On Jun 02, 2015
I'm watching.

1 Like

Re: Forces President Buhari Must Fight To Fix Electricity – Chinedu Nebo by nerodenero: 10:26am On Jun 02, 2015
The forces behind power generation are not different from the subsidy thieves.
Iroh88:

7 Likes

Re: Forces President Buhari Must Fight To Fix Electricity – Chinedu Nebo by yimikaa: 10:27am On Jun 02, 2015
Is this not the same man that said witches and wizards where part of the forces when he became a minister then?..

2 Likes

Re: Forces President Buhari Must Fight To Fix Electricity – Chinedu Nebo by Rilwayne001: 10:28am On Jun 02, 2015
confused professor, I wonder what he did to tackle this problem

1 Like

Re: Forces President Buhari Must Fight To Fix Electricity – Chinedu Nebo by Sijo01(f): 10:29am On Jun 02, 2015
Why did you not fight the forces when you had the chance?

1 Like

Re: Forces President Buhari Must Fight To Fix Electricity – Chinedu Nebo by stevecantrell: 10:29am On Jun 02, 2015
DropShot:
If our new president fails to give much more improved power supply during his 1st tenure, he will lose in 2019. in fact APC will lose woefully.

Power, Corruption, Unemployment and NNPC reform are the main things. If he fails in them, he will go.

Very reasonable.
Re: Forces President Buhari Must Fight To Fix Electricity – Chinedu Nebo by alaoeri: 10:29am On Jun 02, 2015
Nebo must be a joker, why can't he advice Jona to do the same for over 2years of his reign as power minister?

1 Like

Re: Forces President Buhari Must Fight To Fix Electricity – Chinedu Nebo by Nobody: 10:30am On Jun 02, 2015
I know people would criticise this man but to be honest he has been saying this even while he was in power. I listened to an interview he gave on Radio Nigeria over a year ago and he made this same complaint. He was interviewed on channels Tv and he said the same thing. He even said some of the vandals were so bad that they even went deep underwater to blow up some of the pipelines, which was very hard to repair.

It is true that he can be accused of not doing enough to combat the vandals but it is easier said than done. Buhari would do well to take some nuggets of wisdom from the prof's words as he is going to face the same challenge.

40 Likes

Re: Forces President Buhari Must Fight To Fix Electricity – Chinedu Nebo by baybeeboi: 10:30am On Jun 02, 2015
Sijo01:
Why did you not fought the forces when you had the chance?

3 Likes

Re: Forces President Buhari Must Fight To Fix Electricity – Chinedu Nebo by Iroh88(m): 10:31am On Jun 02, 2015
baybeeboi:

please, go back, take ur time and read the article very well....don't be in a rush to comment.
I have said what I've said and that's exactly what I wanna say. Say yours and move the fvck on.

Thank you, mr reader.

2 Likes

Re: Forces President Buhari Must Fight To Fix Electricity – Chinedu Nebo by luvinhubby(m): 10:31am On Jun 02, 2015
Buhari will have to stamp on toes that GEJ carefully avoided to step on in other to fix Nigeria.

I still regret partaking in the anti- fuel subsidy protests of 2012 as that was a missed opportunity for the people's power to thrash this oil cabal(cartel) holding this nation at ransome.
Also Buhari should avoid traitors like Amaechi who was the NGF chairman at the time the governors supported & advocated for the removal only to maintain a conspiracy of silence which tactfully supported the oil cabal & betrayed GEJ.

My country shall be great again.

25 Likes

Re: Forces President Buhari Must Fight To Fix Electricity – Chinedu Nebo by otr1(m): 10:34am On Jun 02, 2015
Wield the big stick and ensure there is gas to power if power generation is to improve
...and Jonathan couldn't do just this in 6 good years?

Thank you Nebo for assurring us, we made the right choice of kicking Jonathan's butt back to the creeks.
Re: Forces President Buhari Must Fight To Fix Electricity – Chinedu Nebo by aieromon(m): 10:34am On Jun 02, 2015
You and forces sef? You no dey tire grin

On dealing with alleged ‘mafia’ group in the power sector, Nebo noted that God would empower him to chase out the mafia, which he termed “demons and witches.”

He said, “Some highly placed Nigerians believe that when there is outage, it is caused by witches and demons.

“If the President deploys me in the power sector, I believe that given my performance at the University of Nigeria Nsukka, where I drove out the witches and demons, God will also give me the power to drive out the demons in the power sector.”
Re: Forces President Buhari Must Fight To Fix Electricity – Chinedu Nebo by Iroh88(m): 10:35am On Jun 02, 2015
baybeeboi:

You are busy quoting him, guess who said "how much did Jim Nwobodo stole" ? He claims to be a PhD holder!
Re: Forces President Buhari Must Fight To Fix Electricity – Chinedu Nebo by Sijo01(f): 10:36am On Jun 02, 2015
Re: Forces President Buhari Must Fight To Fix Electricity – Chinedu Nebo by Iroh88(m): 10:37am On Jun 02, 2015
luvinhubby:
Buhari will have to stamp on toes that GEJ carefully avoided to step on in other to fix Nigeria.

I still regret partaking in the anti- fuel subsidy protests of 2012 as that was a missed opportunity for the people's power to thrash this oil cabal(cartel) holding this nation at ransome.

My country shall be great again.
Stop pussyfooting mr. He didn't "avoid" them, as the coward he was/is, he was scared of them. He dreaded them. Simple.

4 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Hotdogs And Bread With Buhari And Osinbajo Inscribed On It Go Viral / Osinbajo: Nigerian Jollof Rice Is The Best, Better Than Senegal & Ghana (Video) / El-Rufai Celebrates Victory With Supporters At Govt House (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.