Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,711 members, 7,802,157 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:01 AM

Would You Marry An Osu? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Would You Marry An Osu? (27270 Views)

Anything Wrong With Marrying An Osu(outcast From Some Parts Of Igboland) / Igbos, Will You Marry An Osu? / My Wife-To-Be Is An "Osu" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Go Down)

Would You Marry An Osu? by chichiafro(m): 5:25pm On Sep 15, 2006
Ndi ibo abeg help me out
Re: Would You Marry An Osu? by gigitte(f): 5:59pm On Sep 15, 2006
seun you're such a clown. this question poses no significance for you because you aren't igbo

i think osus should marry out of the igbo tribe, so that their children will have less stigma attached to them and can now marry other igbos if they so wish. don't know if that will work tho
Re: Would You Marry An Osu? by Douzy(m): 6:10pm On Sep 15, 2006
Meen, I wouldn't mind, but familiar folks would. Hey! I'ts still a serious issue in some (if not, most) parts of Igboland.

gigitte:

i think osus should marry out of the igbo tribe, so that their children will have less stigma attached to them and can now marry other igbos if they so wish. don't know if that will work tho

I think that would only work with their grandchildren or a tad beyond that.
Re: Would You Marry An Osu? by Seun(m): 6:20pm On Sep 15, 2006
If the poisons that Osus have in their blood doesn't affect non-Igbos, it probably doesn't affect Igbos either.
Re: Would You Marry An Osu? by fredsmith: 6:21pm On Sep 15, 2006
that thing needs to be stamped out, me for one l can marry anyone even an indian OSU. Tell why why can u go out and f.uk an OSU but cant marry them. Our forefathers were they stupid or just dumb?
Re: Would You Marry An Osu? by fredsmith: 6:24pm On Sep 15, 2006
Thank u seun u made a point there.
But u just deleted one of my threads on nude port harcourt babes, l only just joke say i go put the pics because u go dey sleep by then, l didnt and never intended to, you don dey use idiagbon style for this your site
Re: Would You Marry An Osu? by gigitte(f): 8:40pm On Sep 15, 2006
@ seun, i didnt say anything about poisons affecting anyone. it is the stigma. if you being a yoruba man married an osu girl. ehen so? yoruba ppl dont care about that kind of thing, no one would stigmatize you or the girl or your children because it doesnt matter to them. but to a lot of ppl in igboland it really matters, because the whole family and resulting generations would be stigmatized, it is not a matter of if they dont poison you then they shouldnt poison igbos cos that is simply not true

even the advent of christianity and modernity has refused to change the mindset of these ppl, just like in india also, we may want to stamp it out, for what is left to do when ppl's hearts are hardened? simply wait for the old guard to die out, or be proactive and encourage osu to marry with other non-discriminating tribes perhaps up to the third or fourth generation and then be gradually reintergrated into the igbo society if one so wishes. it is simply a means of getting from route A to B by avoiding the great big obstacle in your way.
Re: Would You Marry An Osu? by Scorpio(f): 12:36am On Sep 16, 2006
People still ask these questions in this day and age?
Re: Would You Marry An Osu? by babycute(f): 1:55am On Sep 16, 2006
abi o, so the osu thingy still exists?na wa o
Re: Would You Marry An Osu? by kiki(f): 4:18am On Sep 16, 2006
Osu? what is dat or who are those??
Re: Would You Marry An Osu? by ikamefa(f): 4:21am On Sep 16, 2006
osu ? yes oh ! i will with immediate effect and alacrity , tongue, especially if hes a fine assed, hunky one for that matter, i would prolly jump him! tongue
Re: Would You Marry An Osu? by aloib(f): 8:52am On Sep 16, 2006
wats an osu pls
Re: Would You Marry An Osu? by aqua(m): 8:53am On Sep 16, 2006
if she has a pu*ssy i will marry her afterall pu*ssy na pu*ssy abi osu pu*ssy too dey?
Re: Would You Marry An Osu? by kolabode: 9:03am On Sep 16, 2006
So far is human if i like her no problem.
Re: Would You Marry An Osu? by GNature(m): 8:06pm On Sep 16, 2006
Can someone please tell me (and @aloib) what an osu is. Thanks
Re: Would You Marry An Osu? by Nobody: 8:34pm On Sep 16, 2006
I know what an Osu is but I have never met one and even if I did, I wouldn't mind marrying them because I could care less. An Osu with money will become and insider in Igboland, nobody cares about those stuffs anymore man.
Re: Would You Marry An Osu? by kiki(f): 9:29pm On Sep 16, 2006
what is an OSU plssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss someon. anyone
Re: Would You Marry An Osu? by mamaput(f): 9:56am On Sep 17, 2006
Slaves to the Gods or something like that.
That was in the olden days.
But Today the are still like outcast by the igbos.
OK let me call it half outcast.
Re: Would You Marry An Osu? by GNature(m): 10:19am On Sep 17, 2006
Thanks mamaput

So, how can one tell if someone is an Osu ? Through their last name OR other characteristics ?
Re: Would You Marry An Osu? by sbucareer(f): 10:51am On Sep 17, 2006

Osu are people our ancestors used to do sacrifies to the gods for the difficulties they faced then, which includes disease, lack of rain, poor farm produce, children and babies dieing etc.

The gods then asked for human sacrifies to help with these issues. When a sacrifice is offered to gods it is damned evil to touch those things. Even in the bible when Abraham offer sacrifice to God, nobody eats the sacrify, it is burn to ashes.

The stigma that Osu have had today this that they were used for gods sacrifice and dimmed to the igbos as outcast.

To my understanding, most of then are very wealthy and brilliant people, their girls are very beautiful.

I myself will NEVER marry osu, not because I don't like them. It is because of the stigma the igbos has on them. For example, they do not involve in active igbo events. No one will elect an osun person as a governor, local chairmen, Eze, Chief, etc.

If an Osun people tries to speak on behalf of the igbo he/she is immediately discredited, because of this stigma. I still have great ambitions for myself and would not want something to hold me back.

If you are not igbo you can never understand. This thing will NEVER go away and I feel very sorry for them. We call it Ome na ala (The law of our land) We cannot leave ome na ala and start to do ome na elu (Not the law of the land)

When you go to village and see how these people leaves, you would feel sorry from them. They do not trade because nobody would buy from them. In school nobody plays with osu children etc, it is really terrible.

If you want to leave in diaspora all your life, them marrying osu will not really affect you. But if you plan sometime in the future to return back to Nigeria, hmmm,  you really have to be very careful. Remember we do not only mary for ourselfs we marry for children as well, you do not want to give our children a bad start in life.

I am sorry I have to say this, but this is the way it is and I did not make it so. Remember that osu are human being like us too.
Re: Would You Marry An Osu? by GNature(m): 10:59am On Sep 17, 2006
@sbucareer

Thanks so much for the detail.

If you met an igbo lady in the UK, how would you know if she is an Osu or not ?
Re: Would You Marry An Osu? by sbucareer(f): 11:01am On Sep 17, 2006

GNature, you cannot know by their surname or looks, if you plan to marry and igbo person if you are igbo person as well, you need to go back home and do informal enquiry. Ask them their village and how to get there and ask your father or brothers, never send your mother to do an inquiry for you. It will only take few hours to do. Before you go ahead.

Another way to know them is that they hardly talk about home and never wants to go back.
Re: Would You Marry An Osu? by GNature(m): 11:06am On Sep 17, 2006
Thanks so much sbucareer.

May be the best thing would be for them to marry themselves OR other ethnic groups/nationals.

Is this what they end up doing ? since no one else wants to marry them
Re: Would You Marry An Osu? by sbucareer(f): 11:13am On Sep 17, 2006

Yes most probably. These are the group of igbo people more likely to marry outside the igbos. Most of them have immigrated out of igbo land.

Most of them are reported resettled in Warri state, Osun state, many in diaspora because they have money and help each other.

They are very kind people with little interest in Nigeria particular igbo land. It is a terrible stigma to have as a human being

Just imagine the problems a black man is having in the west, multiply that by 100 that is the problems these osu people are facing in igbo land

Some igbo land have decided that an osu girl can marry non osu man, because there is a way to clean the girl, but an osu man can NEVER be clean. Thus this is in some igbo land not all igbos share the same idea.

Beacuse when push comes to shove, the igbos would deny you.
Re: Would You Marry An Osu? by GNature(m): 11:41am On Sep 17, 2006
@sbucareer

hmmmm, this is very enlightening.

I think the indians have something somewhat similar - a cast system.

Anyway, I won't blame any igbo that doesn't want to marry an Osu.
Re: Would You Marry An Osu? by sbucareer(f): 11:46am On Sep 17, 2006

It is terrible. It is a very perplexed situation for them.

When people live too long away from his/her mother land they tend to loose touch. Igbo is very strong people (not phyisically). I mean culture wise and Nwadiana (inlaw)

If you have ever been to an igbo event either home or away you wuld understand. Class, peer goups, elite and youths. You need to find your ground and belong as Nwafor (Brother).

If you have any political or international ambitions, igbo events and gathering is where you start to make your impessions. You do not want things to hold you back i.e. osu etc. It is next to death being osu in igbo land
Re: Would You Marry An Osu? by GNature(m): 12:07pm On Sep 17, 2006
sbucareer:

It is next to death being osu in igbo land

Na waa ooh.

But do you see things ever changing, say in 100 years time ?
Re: Would You Marry An Osu? by mamaput(f): 12:07pm On Sep 17, 2006
You become an osu by birth. If you marry one your children you have will be osu.
There is nothing like half osu.
If you start going out with them , many people will tell you that your date is an osu.
Re: Would You Marry An Osu? by sbucareer(f): 12:25pm On Sep 17, 2006

@GNature
I hope it really change, because it is not really fair  cry You know that the igbos now are highly enlighten people including you and I. But you and I would not want to go and live in the village to effect the laws. Hence, those typical village men and their believes would forever be propagated into our society.

The osu need to fight back, they have money now and many are enlighten. They need to take their case to the Eze ndi igbo, who ever that person it. They need to fight to be given a chieftancy title, governorship, leadership within the igbo community. Need to trade free, their children go anywhere without people shouting osu.

Really, they need to fight back, if they don't the stigma will forever be there. It is like asking when will black man be free from the hands of their white folks? Would it happen 100 years from now?

@mamaput

You are right, you become osu by birth, and by marrying them.
Re: Would You Marry An Osu? by mamaput(f): 12:29pm On Sep 17, 2006
sbucareer if i marry one it dose not make me one only my kids.
what of if the marrage did not work out ?
I think people will want nothing to do with me because i with one.

Or am i one because i married one.?? i thought its in the blood
Re: Would You Marry An Osu? by Seun(m): 12:35pm On Sep 17, 2006
If someone doesn't want to marry you because of "what people will say" then he/she doesn't love you.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9)

Olubadan-In-Council Declares Eze Ndigbo Illegal / Canada Invites Ooni To 150th Independence Anniversary / Why Do Yoruba Guys Mostly Marry Igbo Girls Than Vice Versa?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.