Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,559 members, 7,809,034 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:30 PM

Coconut Curry Chicken With White Rice - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Coconut Curry Chicken With White Rice (3884 Views)

White Rice With Mixed Vegetables And Different Species Of Pepper / Best And Healthiest Way To Cook White Rice For Weight Loss / White Rice And Sauce (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Coconut Curry Chicken With White Rice by touchmeder: 7:06pm On Jun 02, 2015
A while back in the food section, someone made a comment about folks eating only white rice and tomato stew. The person wrote ''can't you try something else?''

I was challenged so I decided to try something new last weekend. In times past I've tried Indian stuff (chicken tikka masala with rice or nan bread) and it tasted great. I've tried rice with Chinese sauce and even Thai sauce so I'm open to new tastes. Then I just buy the meal and pop it in the microwave but I don’t have that luxury anymore.

Anyway I saw this great recipe on this fabulous lady's blog: http://chichiscuisine..de/2014/10/coconut-curry.html
I tried it and boy was it good - finger licking bloody good.

So if you're anything like me and you'd like to break from the norm once in a while, give it a try. Leave stew alone and try something new! cheesy its pretty affordable too. I tried to stick to Chichi's recipe as much as possible but I've got a mind of my own. Here is how I achieved mine with a little variation.
Re: Coconut Curry Chicken With White Rice by touchmeder: 7:07pm On Jun 02, 2015
Ingredients

• 1/2 kilo of Chicken (I nor see chicken bre.ast. I got normal chicken with bones and just cut in to smaller pieces) ₦500

• Onion ₦20

• Groundnut oil (about 3 table spoons or less if you hate oil)

• Spring onions ₦50

• Curry powder (about a teaspoon)

• Thyme ₦10

• Garlic (as you like. I used about 3 cloves. Don’t worry your breath will be fine cos you're frying it)

• Seasoning and salt (knorr and royco)

• Powdered garlic and ginger (I love spices. You don’t need to if you don’t want especially if you're using the raw garlic)

• Bell pepper ₦50

• Small green pepper (like the type used for fried rice. I used about 3 or 4) ₦50

• A tablespoon and half of tomato paste

• Coconut milk ₦300 or 400 (I used half of the can 200ml)
Re: Coconut Curry Chicken With White Rice by touchmeder: 7:10pm On Jun 02, 2015
Cut your chicken into little chunks and set aside. Cut your onion, spring onions, green pepper, garlic, bell pepper.

Re: Coconut Curry Chicken With White Rice by touchmeder: 7:13pm On Jun 02, 2015
Put small groundnut/vegetable oil in a pot or frying pan and allow to heat up.

Add in onion, spring onion, ginger and fry for some seconds. Save your peppers and a little spring onion - you will add them later.

Add the raw chicken and allow to fry with the onion and garlic. (No need to boil the chicken first. It's going to be tough and tasteless at the end of the day)
Re: Coconut Curry Chicken With White Rice by touchmeder: 7:14pm On Jun 02, 2015
Add the seasoning, salt, curry, thyme, powdered garlic and ginger then stir so it is well incorporated. At this point I added small water (because my chicken had bones) and allowed it cook for 2 minutes. I don’t want no blood in my meat - thank you.

Now I add the coconut milk and tomato paste. I allow it simmer a bit for another 3 minutes or so.

Re: Coconut Curry Chicken With White Rice by touchmeder: 7:16pm On Jun 02, 2015
Finally in the last minute of cooking, I add the bell pepper, small green pepper, remaining onion and spring onions. Taste and voila it's ready.

Re: Coconut Curry Chicken With White Rice by touchmeder: 7:18pm On Jun 02, 2015
Verdict- I will definitely try this again and again. If you have great ideas for sauce to eat with yam or rice please share.

5 Likes

Re: Coconut Curry Chicken With White Rice by nikkyshyne(f): 11:16pm On Jun 02, 2015
hmmm... looks nice. Will try it out. Maybe over the weekend smiley

2 Likes

Re: Coconut Curry Chicken With White Rice by touchmeder: 4:49pm On Jun 03, 2015
nikkyshyne:
hmmm... looks nice. Will try it out. Maybe over the weekend smiley

Oh don't forget to tell me about it.
Re: Coconut Curry Chicken With White Rice by ovalrose(f): 11:55am On Jun 05, 2015
hmm...very good. will try this very soon.
Re: Coconut Curry Chicken With White Rice by nikkyshyne(f): 8:05pm On Jun 05, 2015
touchmeder:

Oh don't forget to tell me about it.
OMG!!! shocked. Couldn't resist. Made it for dinner!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Coconut Curry Chicken With White Rice by Olypeppy(f): 8:14pm On Jun 05, 2015
yummy...gonna try it someday...we plenty for huz...like 20...I bet I won't enjoy it
Re: Coconut Curry Chicken With White Rice by nikkyshyne(f): 9:18pm On Jun 05, 2015
Dnt knw why i subscribed for this airtel 300hundred sh. Cant upload a pix. Will upload tomorrow with a different network.

@touchmeder, finally uploaded cheesy

1 Like

Re: Coconut Curry Chicken With White Rice by touchmeder: 9:45pm On Jun 05, 2015
nikkyshyne:
OMG!!! shocked. Couldn't resist. Made it for dinner!

Glad to hear that. grin
Re: Coconut Curry Chicken With White Rice by touchmeder: 9:46pm On Jun 05, 2015
Olypeppy:
yummy...gonna try it someday...we plenty for huz...like 20...I bet I won't enjoy it

I swear I know that feeling. LOLZ
Re: Coconut Curry Chicken With White Rice by Enoquin(f): 9:31pm On Jun 07, 2015
Yummy, I used to check out chichi's blog before I stopped. In the bid to enable me eat rice, I have tried different sauces and stews;
Traditional fish/chicken/goatmeat stew (though I now sprinkle scentleaf in mine)
Geisha stew
Vegetable with fish and fresh tomato sauce
Chicken afritada
Cabbage and minced meat stew
Ofada stew
One sauce where you use irish potatoes and flour

I had this curry chicken sauce recipe but hadn't tried it, will try your version.
Re: Coconut Curry Chicken With White Rice by touchmeder: 9:48pm On Jun 07, 2015
nikkyshyne:
Dnt knw why i subscribed for this airtel 300hundred sh. Cant upload a pix. Will upload tomorrow with a different network.

@touchmeder, finally uploaded cheesy

Well done you. Well done. Chai see the empty plate grin grin cheesy
Re: Coconut Curry Chicken With White Rice by nikkyshyne(f): 10:37pm On Jun 07, 2015
touchmeder:

Well done you. Well done. Chai see the empty plate grin grin cheesy
Yess oo grin. I added a little chopped carrot by the way.

1 Like

Re: Coconut Curry Chicken With White Rice by nawtibownie: 2:30pm On Jun 08, 2015
Hmmm, looks yummy. I'll try it this weekend.
Re: Coconut Curry Chicken With White Rice by symbianDON(m): 7:50am On Jun 10, 2015
I tried making this and........wow!! the result was fantastic. soooooooo tasty. I will definately be making it again. by the way, I sort of modified it. I actually used whole chicken so I cooked the chicken first. cooked it until it was very tender and there was just very little stock left in it. also, I added mixed veggies. by the way, I made the coconut milk myself so I had plenty of it left which I stored away in the refrigerator. the real trick is in knowing how to balance your spices in the broth. very delicious.

1 Like

Re: Coconut Curry Chicken With White Rice by Nobody: 8:40am On Jun 10, 2015
Looks yummy, will try it out
Re: Coconut Curry Chicken With White Rice by waistbead: 10:28pm On Jun 10, 2015
Had it for dinner...yummyyy...

3 Likes

Re: Coconut Curry Chicken With White Rice by touchmeder: 1:51pm On Jun 11, 2015
waistbead:
Had it for dinner...yummyyy...

Yours looks very very good. cheesy grin Lucky you is that red bell pepper? Oh i'm stuck with the green ones.
Re: Coconut Curry Chicken With White Rice by touchmeder: 1:56pm On Jun 11, 2015
symbianDON:
I tried making this and........wow!! the result was fantastic. soooooooo tasty. I will definately be making it again. by the way, I sort of modified it. I actually used whole chicken so I cooked the chicken first. cooked it until it was very tender and there was just very little stock left in it. also, I added mixed veggies. by the way, I made the coconut milk myself so I had plenty of it left which I stored away in the refrigerator. the real trick is in knowing how to balance your spices in the broth. very delicious.

Bless you brother, you hit the nail on the head. This week, I prepared it again for my kid sister but I preferred the first one I made shocked
Why you may ask? Like you rightly noted the trick is in the balance of spices/ingridents. I used a little too much tomato puree and less coconut milk (my remaining one from last time) so it lacked the earlier zing for me. My sister loved it though; she was none the wiser. cheesy

As for modification, it is allowed oh. No hard and fast rule. Well done everyone.
Re: Coconut Curry Chicken With White Rice by nikkyshyne(f): 2:34pm On Jun 11, 2015
touchmeder:

Yours looks very very good. cheesy grin Lucky you is that red bell pepper? Oh i'm stuck with the green ones.
Mine looks better joor angry
Re: Coconut Curry Chicken With White Rice by waistbead: 9:37pm On Jun 11, 2015
touchmeder:

@Touchmeder tanks..yeah its red bell pepper.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

7 Kinds Of Cocktail And Mocktail Recipes / The Kenwood Potato Peeler Versus Hand Peeling / Food Is Ready (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.