Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,574 members, 7,809,094 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:54 PM

Daughter Of A Beggar: Short Story - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Daughter Of A Beggar: Short Story (18840 Views)

Poll: Rate this story on a scale of 1 to 4

4 (Very Good): 44% (15 votes)
3 (Good): 38% (13 votes)
2 (Fair): 11% (4 votes)
1 (Poor): 5% (2 votes)
This poll has ended

The Old Beggar / The Beggar & The Bread / Daughter Of A Beggar Live On Gather (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Daughter Of A Beggar: Short Story by Orikinla(m): 6:44pm On Sep 23, 2006
Allright Seun,
But your critical observations have been prompting me to carry on with the story and Sule and Funmilola can end up having an extra-marital affair later.
Re: Daughter Of A Beggar: Short Story by gtswt(f): 12:09pm On Jun 27, 2008
@Orikinla
i think the story is cool cool though too long for my likening
Re: Daughter Of A Beggar: Short Story by cHeMiCaLmEnAnCe: 5:38pm On Oct 16, 2009
Yeah right, Short story. Its really great though. A little cheesy but, great nontheless
Re: Daughter Of A Beggar: Short Story by MyneWhite1(f): 5:39pm On Oct 17, 2009
A long but interesting read. I'm a sucker for neat happy endings. grin
Re: Daughter Of A Beggar: Short Story by Orikinla(m): 12:52pm On Oct 24, 2009
The other purpose of writing this romantic short story is to record this period in the history of urban life in Lagos. The nomadic Arab beggars are no longer under the flyover at the National Stadium in Surulere, Lagos.
Re: Daughter Of A Beggar: Short Story by lanrefront1(m): 2:14pm On Nov 30, 2009
Well I've read the story, and frankly about from being unedited, I have to say the story is not all-that-together. The storyline is one of the most unrealistic I have read; it's not tight at all. True, unbelievable things do happen, but this one - an agbero boy becoming a brilliant lawyer and sophisticated human-being with such refined tastes in 7 years - wasn't convincing at all.

Firstly, getting admission is one thing all together. Then a law degree takes 5 years to complete (if there are hold-ups like strike etc.). Then you go to serve (NYSC) and after go to law school for a year. All that adds up to seven years. Even guys that are brilliant and have ready sponsors may take more than 7 years to do this. Now this is a guy that will probably have to struggle with many difficulties to get these things done.

And now exactly seven years later, he already has thriving law practice and business is so buoyant that they can afford to spend whooping sum of 12 million on cars and dine and wine in 5-stars hotels like Nicon-Hilton. And I may be wrong, won't you need some experience working in someplace before you establish a chambers. And do they just thriving immediately. Of course I may be wrong about this.

Now it would have been a much more appealing story if one of them (Sule or Hadijat) makes it big-time by undergoing such a mind-blowing transformation and came for the other despite the deplorable condition the "other" may still be wallowing in. But revealing to us that exactly the same kind of mind-blowing transformation happened to the both of them within that 7 years, to me, seems to be taking imagination to its limit.

Like I said before, anything can happen in this world we live in, but we need to be convinced in the way that it happens, such that nothing seems to be out of place. We are talking about 15 year old Arab-Niger street beggar with no previous education (they don't go to school, they only beg) and street tout who may already then be like 25.

Lastly, there are guys on this site, anything they read, no matter what the content is, they just go on with exclamations and "Oh gosh!" (not talking specifically about this story) and all sorts of things like that.

About the story, guess what I'm saying is there is room for a lot of improvement.

1 Like

Re: Daughter Of A Beggar: Short Story by Orikinla(m): 2:15pm On Dec 01, 2009
lanre_front:

Well I've read the story, and frankly about from being unedited, I have to say the story is not all-that-together. The storyline is one of the most unrealistic I have read; it's not tight at all. True, unbelievable things do happen, but this one - an agbero boy becoming a brilliant lawyer and sophisticated human-being with such refined tastes in 7 years - wasn't convincing at all.

Firstly, getting admission is one thing all together. Then a law degree takes 5 years to complete (if there are hold-ups like strike etc.). Then you go to serve (NYSC) and after go to law school for a year. All that adds up to seven years. Even guys that are brilliant and have ready sponsors may take more than 7 years to do this. Now this is a guy that will probably have to struggle with many difficulties to get these things done.

And now exactly seven years later, he already has thriving law practice and business is so buoyant that they can afford to spend whooping sum of 12 million on cars and dine and wine in 5-stars hotels like Nicon-Hilton. And I may be wrong, won't you need some experience working in someplace before you establish a chambers. And do they just thriving immediately. Of course I may be wrong about this.

Now it would have been a much more appealing story if one of them (Sule or Hadijat) makes it big-time by undergoing such a mind-blowing transformation and came for the other despite the deplorable condition the "other" may still be wallowing in. But revealing to us that exactly the same kind of mind-blowing transformation happened to the both of them within that 7 years, to me, seems to be taking imagination to its limit.

Like I said before, anything can happen in this world we live in, but we need to be convinced in the way that it happens, such that nothing seems to be out of place. We are talking about 15 year old Arab-Niger street beggar with no previous education (they don't go to school, they only beg) and street tout who may already then be like 25.

Lastly, there are guys on this site, anything they read, no matter what the content is, they just go on with exclamations and "Oh gosh!" (not talking specifically about this story) and all sorts of things like that.

About the story, guess what I'm saying is there is room for a lot of improvement.

You are right on your points. But in romantic literature, fantasy is allowed.

The most important thing is WRITE and LEAVE the REST to TIME.
The nomadic beggars under the flyover at the National Stadium in Lagos are no longer there. This fiction is a record of their existence on the streets of Lagos in the past.

Thank you for the critical analysis.
The most important thing is you READ it.
Re: Daughter Of A Beggar: Short Story by lanrefront1(m): 3:33pm On Dec 01, 2009
Orikinla:

You are right on your points. But in romantic literature, fantasy is allowed.

The most important thing is WRITE and LEAVE the REST to TIME.
The nomadic beggars under the flyover at the National Stadium in Lagos are no longer there. This fiction is a record of their existence on the streets of Lagos in the past.

Thank you for the critical analysis.
The most important thing is you READ it.

Sorry, my mistake then; didn't know there is a genre like romantic literature where fantasy rules. I do write too, but what I write (finished one novel) are thrillers that should make an interesting read, be realistic and convincing; I guess it's the genre referred to as commercial fiction; really don't have much talent when it comes to this "literary stuff". In fact I heard Chimamanda once said in an interview that writers such Alan Folsom, Sidney Sheldon etc., what they do is not serious writing. So I guess I'm not qualified; kind of over-reached myself.

1 Like

Re: Daughter Of A Beggar: Short Story by Basildon1(m): 5:04pm On Apr 20, 2011
nice write up!!
Re: Daughter Of A Beggar: Short Story by Orikinla(m): 8:05pm On Apr 22, 2011
Basildon1:

nice write up!!
Thank you for the appreciation.
Re: Daughter Of A Beggar: Short Story by mrmayor(m): 10:18pm On Apr 22, 2011
Orikinla:

Thank you for the appreciation.

LNG boy, can't believe you still here, getting compliments for your Paedophile story angry angry

lanre_front:

Well Sir, I'm no prude or Pharisee but Mr Multiple Talent LNG boy Orikinla has a thing for unrealistic story lines.
Re: Daughter Of A Beggar: Short Story by IyaBasira: 7:31pm On Apr 23, 2011
lanre_front:

I have to say that this seems to be the only person who actually READ the story.

Even when I was reading it, I noticed a lot of gaps which the person I quoted mentioned. Also, your story seemed to lack depth. Sule the philanderer and seducer of young girls (it wasn't even like he slept with her because he liked her, he just did it because he wanted to boast about it) gets back with the girl he disvirgined and obviously she has been "waiting" for him, while he was sleeping around with other girls? I sincerely don't see how this makes for a good storyline.  All it does is promote the shallow reckoning of immature young boys who think they can eat their cake and have it.

So he seduced her, got her pregnant, and told stories to his mates about sleeping with a white girl , and then what. . . she comes back with his child. And you think that the sex he supposedly had with her at the sheraton hotel was so mind-blowing that he decided to forsake all other women and marry her? Hmmm. . . Unrealistic much?
Besides, I couldn't sense any real feelings that Sule had for Halimat. Even when she got pregnant, he watched her parents beat her and did nothing for "his own safety", as you so nicely put it.

Overall, the story was a let-down. I expected a better ending than that a man could LovePeddler around and still get the girl he wanted . . . There wasn't any character development , Sule was just portrayed as a man-slut who achieved unrealistic dreams and emerged as the hero of the day, Halimat as the submissive arabian girl that Sule slept with. And that was it.

Always room for improvement, I say.
Re: Daughter Of A Beggar: Short Story by oyinbogirl(f): 5:33am On Apr 25, 2011
not bad at all
Re: Daughter Of A Beggar: Short Story by Orikinla(m): 9:49am On Apr 28, 2011
Well, well, well. All critical observations have been noted.

Lest we forget, the fact that Sule a  motor park tout could still go back to school to become a lawyer  and the girl beggar also got educated to become a better person later is more important than the small gaps noted.

Simply increasing 7 years to 12 years would do. But those who failed to see the burden of the story were looking for cheap points to score for personal reasons. The most important reason for writing the story as I have stated before is NOT TO IMPRESS the reader, but to CAPTURE THE PERIOD WHEN THESE  NOMADIC FRINGE ARAB BEGGARS who were refugees in Nigeria stayed under the flyover in front of the popular STADIUM BUS STOP at the National Stadium in Surulere, Lagos. They are no longer there. And many people do not even know about their history in Lagos. And some of them actually got pregnant after they were seduced or violated by Lagos motor park touts. Not all touts are uneducated.

One of these touts dropped out of the UNN. A friend of blessed memory and his wife were working as driver and conductor of their "Danfo" minibus when they had no regular employment and were in dire straits. Both of them were graduates of UNN. So, when I am writing, many realities of both foreseen and unforeseen circumstances of the chequered vicissitudes of human existence are used to tell a story. I have posted dozens of these short stories here for our HISTORY. Amazon published a couple and the most challenging "Bye, Bye Mugabe" was set in Zimbabwe where I have never been to and it was published in an American journal where Zimbabweans who read it could not believe that the author never visited their country. So, I welcome objective critics and not the lunatic fringe stalking "LNG boy" on Nairaland. I am not an "LNG boy", because I was born and bred in Lagos where I live and  work daily.
Re: Daughter Of A Beggar: Short Story by Oly23(f): 9:36am On Oct 04, 2016
Nice story and even for a short story it's very descriptive, those screaming foul at Hadiyat's age should remember our dear Governor/senator Yerima who married an Egyptian 13year old as wife! Under islamic laws it's not a haram! The story even said she was betrothed to Assam and were just looking for money to go back. But anyways that aside I want to say that it's practically impossible for Sule to have achieved such in the space of 7 years, reason being that law is a 5 years course + 1 year law school that 6 years + nysc that 7 years so he would still have been a corper not owning a law firm of his own! But that's why it's fiction right! wink
Re: Daughter Of A Beggar: Short Story by Orikinla(m): 11:44am On Oct 04, 2016
Oly23:
Nice story and even for a short story it's very descriptive, those screaming foul at Hadiyat's age should remember our dear Governor/senator Yerima who married an Egyptian 13year old as wife! Under islamic laws it's not a haram! The story even said she was betrothed to Assam and were just looking for money to go back. But anyways that aside I want to say that it's practically impossible for Sule to have achieved such in the space of 7 years, reason being that law is a 5 years course + 1 year law school that 6 years + nysc that 7 years so he would still have been a corper not owning a law firm of his own! But that's why it's fiction right! wink

You are right on Sule.
My main purpose is a narrative documentary in prose of these refugees from Chad who became part of our ecosystem for almost two decades. It is historical fiction. I have documented it for history.
The story has been revised and edited for my new book of "Bye, Bye Zimbabwe".
Re: Daughter Of A Beggar: Short Story by Oly23(f): 3:14pm On Oct 04, 2016
Orikinla:

You are right on Sule.
My main purpose is a narrative documentary in prose of these refugees from Chad who became part of our ecosystem for almost two decades. It is historical fiction. I have documented it for history.
The story has been revised and edited for my new book of "Bye, Bye Zimbabwe".
alright! That's quite nice as I have never been to Lagos at least I know now that there were once Niger beggars under the bridge near the stadium! grin
Re: Daughter Of A Beggar: Short Story by Orikinla(m): 5:41pm On Oct 04, 2016
Oly23:
alright! That's quite nice as I have never been to Lagos at least I know now that there were once Niger beggars under the bridge near the stadium! grin
A short story about an encounter with one of them at Obalende bus stop on Lagos Island won me a third prize in a competition by the French Cultural Centre in Nigeria.
A little boy and his sister. He begged for money and I said I did not have any money to give him. He now offered to share his own with me! And our interesting discussion inspired me to write "One Day at Obalende Bus Stop".

1 Like

Re: Daughter Of A Beggar: Short Story by Orikinla(m): 7:45pm On Oct 06, 2016
From Poor Shepherd Girl in Morocco To Minister of Education in France
http://www.nigeriansreport.com/2016/10/from-poor-shepherd-girl-in-morocco-to.html?m=1

Re: Daughter Of A Beggar: Short Story by Uzyvicks(f): 1:34pm On Jun 02, 2017
Nice story
Re: Daughter Of A Beggar: Short Story by asaajuomo1(m): 1:22pm On Apr 13, 2019
Orikinla:
From Poor Shepherd Girl in Morocco To Minister of Education in France
http://www.nigeriansreport.com/2016/10/from-poor-shepherd-girl-in-morocco-to.html?m=1

Nice story. The concept is well noted.
Re: Daughter Of A Beggar: Short Story by IbileIfe: 10:33pm On Sep 13, 2021
lanrefront1:

Sorry, my mistake then; didn't know there is a genre like romantic literature where fantasy rules. I do write too, but what I write (finished one novel) are thrillers that should make an interesting read, be realistic and convincing; I guess it's the genre referred to as commercial fiction; really don't have much talent when it comes to this "literary stuff". In fact I heard Chimamanda once said in an interview that writers such Alan Folsom, Sidney Sheldon etc., what they do is not serious writing. So I guess I'm not qualified; kind of over-reached myself.

Chimamanda lied
What makes her literature serious writing and the literature of Alan Folsom, Sidney Sheldon, Harold Robbins and company not serious writing.
Harold Robbins is an institution in American literature.
One of the best-selling writers of all time, he wrote over 25 best-sellers, selling over 750 million copies in 32 languages.
I have read Chimamanda and she is just a good novelist. And not yet a great writer as Ben Okri, currently the greatest Nigerian novelist who is also an outstanding poet and essayist.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Transgender Africans Turned Against Chimamanda Adichie / Fuel Scarcity And The Missing Prick: A Short Story / Nazaretha's Hood - The Missing File

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.