Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,454 members, 7,781,313 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 12:17 PM

Why You Should Use A VPN - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Why You Should Use A VPN (1583 Views)

Is My ISP Able To Keep A Track Of My Internet Activities While I Use A VPN? / What Is The Difference Between A VPN And A Proxy Server / Ways To Pay For A VPN Service (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why You Should Use A VPN by mmsen: 11:30pm On Jun 03, 2015
A VPN is a network of computers that are all connected securely even though they're in different locations and all using different connection methods. The biggest benefit to a VPN is that all of the computers on one are securely connected to one another and their traffic encrypted and kept away from prying eyes. Another benefit is that all of the computers on any particular VPN are effectively on the same network, meaning they can communicate as if they were right next to one another, plugged in to the same router.

Businesses use VPNs to connect remote datacenters, and individuals can use VPNs to get access to network resources when they're not physically on the same LAN (local area network), or as a method for securing and encrypting their communications when they're using an untrusted public network.

Most VPNs rely on tunneling to create a private network that reaches across the Internet.

VPNs cannot make online connections completely anonymous, but they can usually increase privacy and security

To prevent disclosure of private information, VPNs typically allow only authenticated remote access and make use of encryption tools.

The VPN security model provides:

Confidentiality, such that even if the network traffic is sniffed at the packet level an attacker would be confronted with encrypted data

Sender authentication to prevent unauthorized users from accessing the VPN

Message integrity to detect any instances of tampering with transmitted messages

There are an ever increasing number of VPN service providers with a broad range of service quality but Private Internet Access is one of the more reputable options available. When selecting a service users should be aware that speed of connection varies between providers; some keep more detailed logs of users' internet use than others (some claim not keep any logs at all); some offer SOCKS5 proxy connection options. Those looking for a VPN service should also pay attention to the host nation in which the provider is located.

http://afritechnet..ae/2015/05/why-use-vpn.html
Re: Why You Should Use A VPN by joystickextendr: 11:53pm On Jun 03, 2015
Okay
Re: Why You Should Use A VPN by stephano100(m): 7:43am On Jun 04, 2015
mmsen:

A VPN is a network of computers that are all connected securely even though they're in different locations and all using different connection methods. The biggest benefit to a VPN is that all of the computers on one are securely connected to one another and their traffic encrypted and kept away from prying eyes. Another benefit is that all of the computers on any particular VPN are effectively on the same network, meaning they can communicate as if they were right next to one another, plugged in to the same router.

Businesses use VPNs to connect remote datacenters, and individuals can use VPNs to get access to network resources when they're not physically on the same LAN (local area network), or as a method for securing and encrypting their communications when they're using an untrusted public network.

Most VPNs rely on tunneling to create a private network that reaches across the Internet.

VPNs cannot make online connections completely anonymous, but they can usually increase privacy and security

To prevent disclosure of private information, VPNs typically allow only authenticated remote access and make use of encryption tools.

The VPN security model provides:

Confidentiality, such that even if the network traffic is sniffed at the packet level an attacker would be confronted with encrypted data

Sender authentication to prevent unauthorized users from accessing the VPN

Message integrity to detect any instances of tampering with transmitted messages

There are an ever increasing number of VPN service providers with a broad range of service quality but Private Internet Access is one of the more reputable options available. When selecting a service users should be aware that speed of connection varies between providers; some keep more detailed logs of users' internet use than others (some claim not keep any logs at all); some offer SOCKS5 proxy connection options. Those looking for a VPN service should also pay attention to the host nation in which the provider is located.

http://afritechnet..ae/2015/05/why-use-vpn.html

which is d strongest of d VPN software i can use on my windows 8.1 laptop...i tried sumrando nd zvpn connect it didnt work.
Re: Why You Should Use A VPN by mmsen: 8:36am On Jun 04, 2015
stephano100:

which is d strongest of d VPN software i can use on my windows 8.1 laptop...i tried sumrando nd zvpn connect it didnt work.

OpenVPN is my personal favorite - great for multi-platform use.

There's also Hamachi, Neorouter and Shrew Soft. Hamachi is supposed to be easy to use.

Breaks down the strengths of each:
http://afritechnet..ae/2015/06/best-vpn-tools.html
Re: Why You Should Use A VPN by stephano100(m): 3:59pm On Jun 06, 2015
mmsen:

OpenVPN is my personal favorite - great for multi-platform use.

There's also Hamachi, Neorouter and Shrew Soft. Hamachi is supposed to be easy to use.

Breaks down the strengths of each:
http://afritechnet..ae/2015/06/best-vpn-tools.html
tnx man....bt i heard openvpn is nt dat free,true?
Re: Why You Should Use A VPN by mmsen: 5:02pm On Jun 06, 2015
stephano100:

tnx man....bt i heard openvpn is nt dat free,true?

You can get a VPN plan from another company and then set up with OpenVPN - that's what I do.

I don't personally know of any free VPN services that I would trust - http://afritechnet..ae/2015/05/hola-vpn-exposed-as-botnet.html.

(1) (Reply)

Email Virus Alert(s) / It Gurus: Solution Needed Here Plz / Wordpress Shopping Cart - Help

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.