Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,966 members, 7,806,800 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:48 AM

Studying Law As A Second Degree. - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Studying Law As A Second Degree. (5898 Views)

10 Professions In Nigeria You Can Still Practice Without Studying them / Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? / Urgent: Need Help On Law As A Career (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Studying Law As A Second Degree. by Douzy(m): 11:54am On Sep 16, 2006
I heard sometime ago that soon the prerequisite for studying Law in Nigeria would be a first degree in another course.
[list]
[li]Does anyone know if the bill has been passed?[/li]
[li]If eventually that becomes the case, how much of us (Nairalanders, nay Nigerians), considering the economic situation in the country, do you really think would be studying Law (instead of picking up a job after first degree or going for Masters/other postgraduate studies)?[/li]
[li]What then do you think would be the drive behind studying Law (for those who would eventually still study it)?[/li]
[li]Do you think it would afford us better Lawyers?[/li]
[li]Is it the case in any other country?[/li]
[/list]

Thanks y'all for your responses, however they may come!
Re: Studying Law As A Second Degree. by Awagu(m): 2:13am On Sep 17, 2006
It shud b a welcome development b/c in other continents esp in America and Europe, Philosophy has been and will continue to b a prerequiste to Law, medical Courses, Biz and others. It helps a lot as the foundation to these course. It wud be ok if Philosophy b introduced from lower Basic 7, following the new educational system, wudn't it?
Re: Studying Law As A Second Degree. by Hotstepper(f): 5:59am On Sep 17, 2006
hmmm in Canada and America, u must have a first degree b4 doig law, medicine and pharmacy and I heard naija wanna do da same
Re: Studying Law As A Second Degree. by Douzy(m): 11:59am On Sep 17, 2006
Talking about Philosophy, even at Cameroun it's taught in secondary schools. I guess Nigeria is really underestimating and overlooking the powers Philosophy have to free and open up the mind, making it more receptive for more enlightenment and lots of development. May be that's why we're so fixated on religious fanaticism here.

On Law as a second degree course, that should be one of the best means of reviving the nobility of the profession as riff-raffs and god-fatherism are now hijacking and sullying it. I believe no one who is in a hurry to get rich (overly ambitious) would want to go back to school to study Law after his/her first degree. More so, it's better than the other option from some camps (making the Law School programme run for two years), which is a mere waste of time.

Finally, I was amazed when one who claimed to be in Law School at the present (a Law graduate) told me that he had never heard about this move to make Law a second degree course in Nigeria. That shows how much our Law students and even practioners are aware of what goes on in the profession. Duh!!!

@Awagu and Hotstepper,
Thanks for your responses.
Re: Studying Law As A Second Degree. by Hotstepper(f): 6:07pm On Sep 17, 2006
In Canada per se, u can enter Law skool after your 2nd year if your GPA is very good instead, u wait until u finish your degree den take da LSAT(law wxam0, if u pass, u go ahead and spend 2 yrs in skool and by doing so, u r good and sound lawyer tongue
Re: Studying Law As A Second Degree. by Nobody: 8:44am On Sep 22, 2006
I strongly support that move.But i doubt if those in power will allow it to come in to place. Obviously it will make for better lawyers only if it is strictly adhered to and less politicised.
Re: Studying Law As A Second Degree. by Syphonn(m): 9:07am On Aug 31, 2017
The University of Port Harcourt hereby invites candidates who chose the University as First and/or Second choice in the 2017 Unified Matriculation Examination (UTME) and obtained a minimum score of 180, to apply for Screening Exercise for admission into the University.

The University shall not admit candidates into Geology in the 2017/2018 session. Candidates who chose Geology as their programme of study are hereby informed that they could be admitted into other/related areas of study, subject to acceptable performance. They are to contact JAMB for change of course or change of Institution for admission into Geology. The Schedule of the Screening Exercise is as indicated below:

READ MORE AT www.busygisting.com
Re: Studying Law As A Second Degree. by lucrocash(m): 9:38pm On Feb 10
I am interested in studying law as second degree. I have B.A Arts Philosophy, 2.1. Funny part is, applied for DE Law, University of Ibadan some years ago but wasn't admitted. Heard they had 8 slots..... People with masters and 3 PhD holders hijacked the DE slots.

Will be reapplying.... If you have link and can help me secure admission into UI Law, please DM. I have all necessary docs and requirements. It's just so unfortunate that Law is purely man know man in Nigeria.

Douzy:
I heard sometime ago that soon the prerequisite for studying Law in Nigeria would be a first degree in another course.
[list]
[li]Does anyone know if the bill has been passed?[/li]
[li]If eventually that becomes the case, how much of us (Nairalanders, nay Nigerians), considering the economic situation in the country, do you really think would be studying Law (instead of picking up a job after first degree or going for Masters/other postgraduate studies)?[/li]
[li]What then do you think would be the drive behind studying Law (for those who would eventually still study it)?[/li]
[li]Do you think it would afford us better Lawyers?[/li]
[li]Is it the case in any other country?[/li]
[/list]

Thanks y'all for your responses, however they may come!

(1) (Reply)

Salary Of An Assistant Lecturer In A Federal University / My Story As Third Class Graduate / Should I Resign From My Bank Job?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.