Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,954 members, 7,806,762 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:52 PM

Ask Me Anything On Drugs And Supplements - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Ask Me Anything On Drugs And Supplements (165934 Views)

The Best Food And Supplements For HIV / Your Health, Nutrition And Supplements / Governor Ganduje Destroys Illegal Drugs And Expired Food Items. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (40) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ask Me Anything On Drugs And Supplements by heavenet(m): 7:16am On Jun 13, 2015
PenAndPaper:
Good evening, the drug thiabendazole(mintezol) was prescribed for a friend of mine but we haven't had success finding it.
Please where in Nigeria can we get it and what dosage is to be used for a persistant worm issue.
Hi PenandPaper, thiabendazole is not that commonly used anymore because it has some unpleasant side effects. I would advise that your friend take albendazole (Zentel) instead. The dose is 400mg daily for three consecutive days. I hope that answered your question? smiley

1 Like

Re: Ask Me Anything On Drugs And Supplements by heavenet(m): 7:22am On Jun 13, 2015
Standing5:
Hello the Pharmacist, i like to know if i can take yeast tablet as supplements freely? I am healthy but i heard it is good for general wellbeing - mental focus, skin, hair, and more.
Hi Standing5, Yeast is very good. It contains multiple macro and micro nutrients needed by the body for proper functioning. It is more of a supplement rather a medication. So if you feel like taking it just as a supplement you can. Not more than 6 tablets per day. It is especially good for the eyes and that is one of the reason I recommend it. Hope that answered your question? smiley wink

4 Likes

Re: Ask Me Anything On Drugs And Supplements by heavenet(m): 7:26am On Jun 13, 2015
Haryanphe:

thank you so mch. may God continue to bless you. it sure helps. But my question is will be use for a while or forever?
It is expected that he or she improves with the medications and other support given to help. The idea is that it should be given for a while till the condition is resolved.

1 Like

Re: Ask Me Anything On Drugs And Supplements by kindredspirit(m): 9:55am On Jun 13, 2015
Good Morning. Please can you help me break down this statement usually written on the package of some drugs,especially herbals : THIS PRODUCT IS NOT INTENDED TO DIAGNOSE, TREAT or PREVENT ANY DISEASE. I can't wrap my head round the meaning, try as I did. I'm taking a NAFDAC APPROVED product called SWISSGARDE EYE-BRITE. It contains Beta Carotene, Vitamin C, Marigold extract ( 0.4mg Lutein and 17mcg Zeaxanthin), Bilberry extract ( 1.25mg Anthicyanodines), Vitamin C and E, selenium, Lechitin and Zinc. The statement comes across like a Caveat Emptor, somewhat. It is not intended to diagnose, treat or prevent? What then is a drug meant for? If I had seen it before buying, I wouldn't have. What's your professional opinion?
Re: Ask Me Anything On Drugs And Supplements by heavenet(m): 7:19pm On Jun 13, 2015
kindredspirit:
Good Morning. Please can you help me break down this statement usually written on the package of some drugs,especially herbals : THIS PRODUCT IS NOT INTENDED TO DIAGNOSE, TREAT or PREVENT ANY DISEASE. I can't wrap my head round the meaning, try as I did. I'm taking a NAFDAC APPROVED product called SWISSGARDE EYE-BRITE. It contains Beta Carotene, Vitamin C, Marigold extract ( 0.4mg Lutein and 17mcg Zeaxanthin), Bilberry extract ( 1.25mg Anthicyanodines), Vitamin C and E, selenium, Lechitin and Zinc. The statement comes across like a Caveat Emptor, somewhat. It is not intended to diagnose, treat or prevent? What then is a drug meant for? If I had seen it before buying, I wouldn't have. What's your professional opinion?
Hi kindred spirit, thanks for the question I commend you for paying attention to details. If you notice, you will find out that all herbal supplements or medications that pass through NAFDAC will include in the label that the claims made by the manufacturer have not been verified. What that means is that when you take such medications it is at the risk of the prescriber and you taking it. So if anything happen in the process of taking it, NAFDAC will not be held responsible. Check US supplements and herbal medications too. FDA says thesame thing. So it is not only NAFDAC.
Supplements are not subjected to the rigorous safety standards like drugs. Moreso, these agencies are receiving a lot of applications from manufacturers. Once they assertain that the product contains what the manufacturer says it contains and subject it to the vital processes, they approve it. In conclusion, herbal supplements or medications have not be proven as much as orthodox medications. Hope that answered your question?

2 Likes

Re: Ask Me Anything On Drugs And Supplements by kindredspirit(m): 8:45pm On Jun 13, 2015
heavenet:

Hi kindred spirit, thanks for the question I commend you for paying attention to details. If you notice, you will find out that all herbal supplements or medications that pass through NAFDAC will include in the label that the claims made by the manufacturer have not been verified. What that means is that when you take such medications it is at the risk of the prescriber and you taking it. So if anything happen in the process of taking it, NAFDAC will not be held responsible. Check US supplements and herbal medications too. FDA says thesame thing. So it is not only NAFDAC.
Supplements are not subjected to the rigorous safety standards like drugs. Moreso, these agencies are receiving a lot of applications from manufacturers. Once they assertain that the product contains what the manufacturer says it contains and subject it to the vital processes, they approve it. In conclusion, herbal supplements or medications have not be proven as much as orthodox medications. Hope that answered your question?

Pharm, thanks for the response. Much appreciated. Yes, I understand the fact that herbal drugs and supplements aren't proven like the orthodox ones. Thus, their claims to cure ailments and diseases weren't verified or validated. However, in this case, the manufacturer didn't even make any claim about the drug curing any ailment. That's my point. I found it curious that the manufacturers of the drug themselves indicated that the very drug that they have sold to you is NOT INTENDED to do ANYTHING ! By this admission, there would be no need for the FDA or NAFDAC to even carry out any validation at all, in the first place. Maybe it's just me, but it resembles a flim-flam.
Re: Ask Me Anything On Drugs And Supplements by heavenet(m): 10:31pm On Jun 13, 2015
kindredspirit:

Pharm, thanks for the response. Much appreciated. Yes, I understand the fact that herbal drugs and supplements aren't proven like the orthodox ones. Thus, their claims to cure ailments and diseases weren't verified or validated. However, in this case, the manufacturer didn't even make any claim about the drug curing any ailment. That's my point. I found it curious that the manufacturers of the drug themselves indicated that the very drug that they have sold to you is NOT INTENDED to do ANYTHING ! By this admission, there would be no need for the FDA or NAFDAC to even carry out any validation at all, in the first place. Maybe it's just me, but it resembles a flim-flam.
May be we should interpret it this way. "These products are not intended to diagnose or treat on their own except the prescriber diagnoses you and recommends them. That is the perspective you should look at it from not that the products are intended to do nothing.
Re: Ask Me Anything On Drugs And Supplements by Nobody: 10:36pm On Jun 13, 2015
please i need prescription to stop excessive skin drying, eczematous like patches, skin blistering due to immunosuppresive drugs. I think those drugs cause the side effect.
Re: Ask Me Anything On Drugs And Supplements by Nobody: 7:03am On Jun 14, 2015
Wat is d difference btw multivitamins and cod liver capsules, do they play same or different functions
Re: Ask Me Anything On Drugs And Supplements by wrench: 1:28pm On Jun 14, 2015
Early this year, I went through a phase of life that got me so depressed for almost 1month. Lost a whole lot of weight and since I regain composure, I've been trying to add weight again but to no avail. Any supplement or drugs I can use in regaining weight loss? Preferably, that which I can get in the pharmacy easily. Thanks
Re: Ask Me Anything On Drugs And Supplements by koxyz: 2:49pm On Jun 14, 2015
My honourable pharmacist, I hail O! When I was in the state,I used to have access to these supplements; St.John's Wort,Macuna Prurens, 5-HTP,Niacin (Vitamin B3),Vitamin B6,Ashwagandha,Kava-Kava,etc.
Since I arrive Lagos,I have combed all the notorious supermarkets and store known to me but to no avail.
Kindly assist, where can I get these supplements in Lagos.
Re: Ask Me Anything On Drugs And Supplements by heavenet(m): 7:13pm On Jun 15, 2015
cowleg:
please i need prescription to stop excessive skin drying, eczematous like patches, skin blistering due to immunosuppresive drugs. I think those drugs cause the side effect.
immunosuppresants can be weird I wont lie. Hair loss is equally one of the side effects. For the hair loss, Regaine for men or women is good. For dry skin get E45 urea cream. Take a lot of biotin. Cheers. I hope that answered your questions.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ask Me Anything On Drugs And Supplements by Nobody: 7:15pm On Jun 15, 2015
heavenet:

immunosuppresants can be weird I wont lie. Hair loss is equally one of the side effects. For the hair loss, Regaine for men or women is good. For dry skin get E45 urea cream. Take a lot of biotin. Cheers. I hope that answered your questions.

Whats the brand name of the cream?
Re: Ask Me Anything On Drugs And Supplements by heavenet(m): 7:21pm On Jun 15, 2015
[s][/s
gommex:
Wat is d difference btw multivitamins and cod liver capsules, do they play same or different functions
Hi gommex, M/vitamins and cod liver oil capsules do different things. While multivitamins contain many vitamins needed by the body, cod liver oil contains omega 3 fatty acid that performs a different role in the body. So both can be taken together. Hope that answered your question?

1 Like

Re: Ask Me Anything On Drugs And Supplements by heavenet(m): 7:32pm On Jun 15, 2015
wrench:
Early this year, I went through a phase of life that got me so depressed for almost 1month. Lost a whole lot of weight and since I regain composure, I've been trying to add weight again but to no avail. Any supplement or drugs I can use in regaining weight loss? Preferably, that which I can get in the pharmacy easily. Thanks
Hi Wrench sowie about what happend. Pele. We all go through unpleasant things but life must go on. Concerning adding weight adding, just give it time and eat well while you take your mind away from it. Your inability to add again may be due to worry. However you can go for complan milk plus cyprigold. One tablet at night.It will boost your apetite. In addition rach out for Wellwoman or Wellman if you are a man.Hope that answred

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Ask Me Anything On Drugs And Supplements by heavenet(m): 7:38pm On Jun 15, 2015
cowleg:

Whats the brand name of the cream?
E 45 that is the brand name.
Re: Ask Me Anything On Drugs And Supplements by wrench: 8:16pm On Jun 15, 2015
heavenet:

Hi Wrench sowie .Hope that answred
Can I Go For multivitamin in place of the complan
milk plus cyprigold?
Re: Ask Me Anything On Drugs And Supplements by heavenet(m): 8:47pm On Jun 15, 2015
wrench:
Can I Go For multivitamin in place of the complan
milk plus cyprigold?
Yes you can.
Re: Ask Me Anything On Drugs And Supplements by heavenet(m): 7:33pm On Jun 20, 2015
Hi there, just want to share some experience on cyproheptadine.
It is commonly taken by some who wants to add some weight.
While it can make you eat more and thereby make you add, it definitely can give you some sick feelings i.e. makes you feel sick.
So if you find that it makes you feel sick, I just think you should forgo it RATHER than solving one problem causing another one.
Cheers.

2 Likes

Re: Ask Me Anything On Drugs And Supplements by Hollyb(f): 10:01pm On Jun 20, 2015
Good evening and kudos for your good work here. Please I have been having. Recurrent thphoid since 2010. Actually what happened then was that I didn't complete mu dose of chloramphenicol of 14 days prescribed to me by the doctor and since then I've not been enjoying myself. I used augmentine 1g this April and I'm down with typhoid again now. Pls wat drug can you recommend for me. Thanks in anticipation

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ask Me Anything On Drugs And Supplements by pixtuk(m): 12:21pm On Jun 21, 2015
pls is there any supplement i can get from a drug store that has protein in it cus am into body building
Re: Ask Me Anything On Drugs And Supplements by heavenet(m): 12:01pm On Jun 22, 2015
Hollyb:
Good evening and kudos for your good work here. Please I have been having. Recurrent thphoid since 2010. Actually what happened then was that I didn't complete mu dose of chloramphenicol of 14 days prescribed to me by the doctor and since then I've not been enjoying myself. I used augmentine 1g this April and I'm down with typhoid again now. Pls wat drug can you recommend for me. Thanks in anticipation
You are welcome, Hollyb. First be sure you are having typhoid again by getting yourself tested at a reputable lab. There was a time I was having headache and I thought it was typhoid and I was taking chloramphenicol. That drug is no longer recommended cause it has much side effects such as ringing in the ear. Actually I didnt have typhoid. I was mentally stressed at that time. But here I was, taking chloramphenicol for what I didnt have. You want to be sure you are having typhoid. That is the only way Augmentin can work. But if truly your tests shows typhoid you may need to visit your doctor and tell him your medication history and he would probably place you on some injections. Hope that answered your questions?

2 Likes

Re: Ask Me Anything On Drugs And Supplements by heavenet(m): 12:10pm On Jun 22, 2015
pixtuk:
pls is there any supplement i can get from a drug store that has protein in it cus am into body building
Yeah. Whey Protein. Musl Blast, Creatine. Visit www.gnc.com/sportsnutrition. You sure gonna get enough. Just hold enough money cause some of them are on the high side. Good luck. Hope that answered you question?

2 Likes

Re: Ask Me Anything On Drugs And Supplements by Cool83(m): 3:59pm On Jun 22, 2015
what drug to take after tb treatment, nd still having high temperature
Re: Ask Me Anything On Drugs And Supplements by heavenet(m): 5:20pm On Jun 22, 2015
Cool83:
what drug to take after tb treatment, nd still having high temperature
Take supplements like folic acid and fesolate with B complex. This will help you recover fast. There are well formulated nutritious drinks like Ensure. I dont think you need additional drugs when you had already completed your treatment. For your fever you can just take paracetamol. Hope that answered your question?

1 Like

Re: Ask Me Anything On Drugs And Supplements by Hollyb(f): 5:33pm On Jun 22, 2015
heavenet:

You are welcome, Hollyb. First be sure you are having typhoid again by getting yourself tested at a reputable lab. There was a time I was having headache and I thought it was typhoid and I was taking chloramphenicol. That drug is no longer recommended cause it has much side effects such as ringing in the ear. Actually I didnt have typhoid. I was mentally stressed at that time. But here I was, taking chloramphenicol for what I didnt have. You want to be sure you are having typhoid. That is the only way Augmentin can work. But if truly your tests shows typhoid you may need to visit your doctor and tell him your medication history and he would probably place you on some injections. Hope that answered your questions?
. Yes, thank you very much I'm grateful

1 Like

Re: Ask Me Anything On Drugs And Supplements by Bankwo7(f): 7:19am On Jun 23, 2015
Dear Pharm,I find out that my body system may have been altered by my family planning option(norplant 11).Please recommend libido boosting supplement/drug for female. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Ask Me Anything On Drugs And Supplements by pharmamama: 10:53am On Jun 23, 2015
I'm new to Nairaland and I love what you're doing with this thread heavenet. Kudos smiley

1 Like

Re: Ask Me Anything On Drugs And Supplements by heavenet(m): 11:02am On Jun 23, 2015
Bankwo7:
Dear Pharm,I find out that my body system may have been altered by my family planning option(norplant 11).Please recommend libido boosting supplement/drug for female. Thanks.
Eeyah so sorry about the changes that you are experiencing in your body. I guess you implanted it long ago because the implant is no longer commonly used. All of them including the latest ones like Implanon and Nexplanon have side effects and they differ from one individual to another. You are not alone: here is Rebecca commenting on netmum
Yes, sex drive does disappear with an implant. I also suffered with mood swings and dreaded the nights my hubby was home from work! I have gone back to the depot and my moods have improved immensely but the sex drive is still no where to be found but I just have to give in because I worry he might go elsewhere!! So you are not alone
I just wish I could find working aphrodisiacs!

I would suggest you use personal lubricants before intimacy. Also encourage your man to do more romance with you before the act. Take fish oil or flaxseed oil. They will help too. Hope that answered your question?

1 Like

Re: Ask Me Anything On Drugs And Supplements by orekelewa09(f): 2:01pm On Jun 23, 2015
Which is the best between m2 tone and ovacare

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (40) (Reply)

Things That Can Affect A Man's Sperm / Help-hepatitis / Pregnant After Trying To Conceive (ttc)?pls Come In To Chat/share With Others!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.