Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,694 members, 7,802,032 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:13 AM

Why Private NPFL Clubs Cease To Exist - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Why Private NPFL Clubs Cease To Exist (13405 Views)

Parade Truck Used By Enugu Rangers During NPFL Trophy Display / Shame! Only 5 Out Of 20 NPFL Clubs Have An Official Website. Check Out List. / Valencia Cf Vs NPFL All Stars 2 - 1 On 10th August 2016 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Private NPFL Clubs Cease To Exist by Empredboy(m): 2:43pm On Jun 05, 2015
Football fans in nigeria have been made to belief that there is nothing good about the npfl to the extent that they listed too many reasons but one of the reasons that made me write this article is even the lost of private sector prefrence in the european league to our league.

The major argument these lads had among themselves was that no business man has ever invested his money in the league and make a profit because the 'system' is not business friendly. Example that the critics gave were that no private clubs owner ever made profit or sponsor.

Now i will like to counter their claims because this is one of the issues the 'anti-npfl' fans used in chasing away potential investors.

After i conducted a serious research on some big reigning private clubs in the 80s and 90s i came up with these following reason why these clubs stoped to operate; Using abiola babes, stationery stores,udoji
utd, eagle cement as a case study.

(1) MOTIVE: These club owners were running the business as a charity organisation not in the hope of making profit from it. Thats was why non of the clubs ever had any sponsor or collaboration with fans. Imagine a team having a full capacity stadium in its home ground on match days but not knowing how to make money from the fans by selling replica jerseys, club materials etc.

(2) FUTURE PLANS: All this teams both past and presnt to have futuristic plans for the clubs. The owners died and the clubs too died because they never plan to have any successor because after all its just a 'charity
business'.

(3) ACCOUNTABILTY: The owners felt they are not suppose to be accountable to anyone and so the gate takings (which was the major or only source of income)mostly ended up into the wrong hands with no
one the account for it.

(4) MANAGEMENT: What was the club managers experience in football business? Did they have Players develoment sheet so as to know the players market value at the end of every season? Did they know the
average number of their fans to expect on match days so as to know amount to expect as gate taking and to use in making loans payment if necessary.

So to those intending npfl investors please dont reason with the past mistakes instead work on the points listed above.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Private NPFL Clubs Cease To Exist by Ojestas(m): 10:40pm On Jun 05, 2015
FTC again. . i dunno about those mentioned points,,all i know is that u don't win away games in naija.else, u r dead as the ref.

5 Likes

Re: Why Private NPFL Clubs Cease To Exist by laurel03(m): 10:41pm On Jun 05, 2015
football club 4 9ja is like charity organization that is why most club playing professional league in nigeria are financed by government... no Tv right, no sales of club jersey and other club tinz, people watch most of dr match for free etc
Re: Why Private NPFL Clubs Cease To Exist by ednut1(m): 10:41pm On Jun 05, 2015
because there is no money to be made, dstv dat made epl easily accessible to Africans yet south Africans follow the local league with passion , the typical nigerian fans ( excluding aba and kano fans), prefers to watch EPL. your 50 naira u pay in viewing centre gets to dstv thru subs, which in turn gets to Epl, which in turn gets into the UK economy thru taxes and consumption. Africans make una wise up o
N.B do not quote as i am high on orijin

14 Likes

Re: Why Private NPFL Clubs Cease To Exist by donsmall94(m): 10:42pm On Jun 05, 2015
Welcome to Nigeria where the major problem 2 every sector is CORRUPTION.

6 Likes

Re: Why Private NPFL Clubs Cease To Exist by donem: 10:42pm On Jun 05, 2015
nice points. besides all those space bookers above me are a bunch of Carrot's. cheesy
Re: Why Private NPFL Clubs Cease To Exist by franconian: 10:43pm On Jun 05, 2015
I nor fit tanda for front of TV dey watch match wey be say players plenty pass spectators.

I nor fit watch league wey be say na home team dey always win.

I nor fit watch match wey commentator dey shout "seeeee shoooootttt!!!".

Make them up their game joor!

6 Likes

Re: Why Private NPFL Clubs Cease To Exist by Nobody: 10:43pm On Jun 05, 2015
And support angry

[size=15]IamFemaleGuy[/size]
Re: Why Private NPFL Clubs Cease To Exist by simongonner: 10:44pm On Jun 05, 2015
nice one..on point
Re: Why Private NPFL Clubs Cease To Exist by efilefun(m): 10:44pm On Jun 05, 2015
NPL where every player is under 20.. so funny seeing most of them in the current flying eagles team tongue

Imagine the ref in the second pic blowing against the keeper behind him and you think he wont leave the pitch with several broken bones? NPL just like the economy (its in total mess)

2 Likes

Re: Why Private NPFL Clubs Cease To Exist by valandy99(m): 10:44pm On Jun 05, 2015
so wat am i to do now?
Re: Why Private NPFL Clubs Cease To Exist by Nobody: 10:46pm On Jun 05, 2015
.hmm. Why are there a lot of threads abt football today?
Re: Why Private NPFL Clubs Cease To Exist by okotv(m): 10:48pm On Jun 05, 2015
The major reason is that the league is not profitable. Private investments are for profits.

1 Like

Re: Why Private NPFL Clubs Cease To Exist by ejihand1(m): 10:49pm On Jun 05, 2015
God punish Devil. Finally I am in the front of the long queue.
Re: Why Private NPFL Clubs Cease To Exist by Nobody: 10:53pm On Jun 05, 2015
laurel03:
football club 4 9ja is like charity organization that is why most club playing professional league in nigeria are financed by government... no Tv right, no sales of club jersey and other club tinz, people watch most of dr match for free etc

If them sell, youself wey dey talk go follow buy?

How many of these for we local clubs wey you ma don buy? (Jus asking)

1 Like

Re: Why Private NPFL Clubs Cease To Exist by slybe: 10:53pm On Jun 05, 2015
Nice one. Back then, the number of fans following the Nigerian league was high compared to this era. The question is how do the club owners and league administerators sell the league to an average Nigerian. I could remember when my roommate and i wanted to watch heartlands match in Owerri back then when i was in FUTO. After reading on sport news how a refree was brutalised, we changed our mind because it was obvious that the security arrangement in those matches were poor. I feel with proper branding the league can be profitable for private owners but so many things have to change and improved on.

2 Likes

Re: Why Private NPFL Clubs Cease To Exist by idris4eva(m): 10:56pm On Jun 05, 2015
Apart from the ticket,any other area where they invest in the league and make profit.
Re: Why Private NPFL Clubs Cease To Exist by StepTwo: 10:56pm On Jun 05, 2015
haha!

NPFL, which investor wan go put im money for league wei dem d tidy refree anyhow?

League where you can't win an away match for fear of violence.

No way.

1 Like

Re: Why Private NPFL Clubs Cease To Exist by Emperortj93(m): 10:59pm On Jun 05, 2015
watch me own my own npfl team when bet9ja pay
Re: Why Private NPFL Clubs Cease To Exist by mmsen: 11:00pm On Jun 05, 2015
ednut1:
because there is no money to be made, dstv dat made epl easily accessible to Africans yet south Africans follow the local league with passion , the typical nigerian fans ( excluding aba and kano fans), prefers to watch EPL. your 50 naira u pay in viewing centre gets to dstv thru subs, which in turn gets to Epl, which in turn gets into the UK economy thru taxes and consumption. Africans make una wise up o
N.B do not quote as i am high on orijin

That is a farcical statement - to say that there is no money to made.

You might as well argue that there is no money to be made by Nigerian musical artistes because Nigerians like listening to Jay-Z and Beyonce.

Or that Nollywood films won't make money because there are so many big budget Hollywood and Bollywood films.

There's enough room for both. If the game is marketed right then there is a lot of money to be made.

Make it safe, make it clean, make it look exciting and people will come.

2 Likes

Re: Why Private NPFL Clubs Cease To Exist by Nobody: 11:00pm On Jun 05, 2015
Okay
Re: Why Private NPFL Clubs Cease To Exist by laurel03(m): 11:01pm On Jun 05, 2015
jusRadical:

If them sell, youself wey dey talk go follow buy?

How many of these for we local clubs wey you ma don buy? (Jus asking)
I watch Nigeria league match live... And even get club I dey support, definitelyif dey sell club jersey I go buy

1 Like

Re: Why Private NPFL Clubs Cease To Exist by Nobody: 11:01pm On Jun 05, 2015
So bad.
Re: Why Private NPFL Clubs Cease To Exist by Agebrown(m): 11:03pm On Jun 05, 2015
Op...invest in npfl nd do all dx stuff u listed....let us see hw it works

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Table-tennis: Quadri Beats Rival, Assar To Win Second Senior Championship / CAF Unveils CAF Awards 2023 Nominees For Women’s Categories / 2018 NBA Finals: Warriors Sweeps LeBron James Cavaliers For 2nd Straight Title

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.