Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,366 members, 7,808,275 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:43 AM

Why Private NPFL Clubs Cease To Exist - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Why Private NPFL Clubs Cease To Exist (13416 Views)

Parade Truck Used By Enugu Rangers During NPFL Trophy Display / Shame! Only 5 Out Of 20 NPFL Clubs Have An Official Website. Check Out List. / Valencia Cf Vs NPFL All Stars 2 - 1 On 10th August 2016 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Private NPFL Clubs Cease To Exist by Innunique: 6:00am On Jun 06, 2015
okotv:
The major reason is that the league is not profitable. Private investments are for profits.

Not profitable, and Glo, Supersport, Joma, Dubic, Zenith Bank, Owu sports, Adidas, Capital Oil and many others invested. O boy U dey feed on spoilt food. Talk another thing.

1 Like

Re: Why Private NPFL Clubs Cease To Exist by laurel03(m): 6:01am On Jun 06, 2015
Innunique:

Update urself because U are still feeding on spoilt food. More than half of NPFL teams do sell jerseys, they have contracts with reputable jersey companies that make replicas for them. Like joma, Adidas, Owu sports, and a host of others. d lowest ticket for an Enyimba game is N500 and the stadium is 25000, do the maths urself.
No T.V rights? do U know how much supersport paid to own it?
how many enyimba they for Nigeria league? We are talking about all Nigeria league.. enyimba cheapest ticket is not N500, pls who financed Eyimba club? How many club in Nigeria league sell share to the public... What make Enyimba not perform well under T orji? Tell me any club in Nigeria league dt have won d league recently that is not state government club? Even sometimes in years our league will not have sponsors deal?
Re: Why Private NPFL Clubs Cease To Exist by Innunique: 6:02am On Jun 06, 2015
jusRadical:

If them sell, youself wey dey talk go follow buy?

How many of these for we local clubs wey you ma don buy? (Jus asking)

Once my money complete, I dey go buy Enyimba straight or another Eastern club. Then Una eyes go open, una go dey beg me to buy shares in it, but I will say "depart from me for I know U not!"
Re: Why Private NPFL Clubs Cease To Exist by Innunique: 6:06am On Jun 06, 2015
slybe:
Nice one. Back then, the number of fans following the Nigerian league was high compared to this era. The question is how do the club owners and league administerators sell the league to an average Nigerian. I could remember when my roommate and i wanted to watch heartlands match in Owerri back then when i was in FUTO. After reading on sport news how a refree was brutalised, we changed our mind because it was obvious that the security arrangement in those matches were poor. I feel with proper branding the league can be profitable for private owners but so many things have to change and improved on.

U see the problem? feeding on spoilt food(Bad info). our newscaster and Journalist dem na quacks, only looking for bad news to report cos it sells faster. but U ma no even ready to watch am, I really doubt say na cos of wetin u read, because Heartland home dey peaceful. So no just come here con deface am, its bad of U.
Re: Why Private NPFL Clubs Cease To Exist by chesterlee(m): 6:11am On Jun 06, 2015
Gabros Fc aka Ifeanyi Uba fc is a private owned club.
Re: Why Private NPFL Clubs Cease To Exist by Innunique: 6:15am On Jun 06, 2015
laurel03:
how many enyimba they for Nigeria league? We are talking about all Nigeria league.. enyimba cheapest ticket is not N500, pls who financed Eyimba club? How many club in Nigeria league sell share to the public... What make Enyimba not perform well under T orji? Tell me any club in Nigeria league dt have won d league recently that is not state government club? Even sometimes in years our league will not have sponsors deal?
That phase of Govt owning clubs would soon end before U even know it has happened. Presently it has been laid out how communities wud own their respective clubs or individuals, but U know Naija now, they are all waiting for who to start first before they join. From about 4seasons now, I don't think we haven't had sponsors and we will keep having. but mind u the "League sponsorship" thing is becoming phased out, like the USA league has done which the premier league wants to copy from 2016. so as Naija dey copy premier league, we fit join suit too.
Re: Why Private NPFL Clubs Cease To Exist by Innunique: 6:18am On Jun 06, 2015
laurel03:
I watch Nigeria league match live... And even get club I dey support, definitelyif dey sell club jersey I go buy

Their are many clubs selling jerseys out there, quality ones from the club jersey sponsors not like the EPL "Dubai and China" ones U guys buy. so go and buy and stop giving excuses. they even do deliveries eg Enyimba.
Re: Why Private NPFL Clubs Cease To Exist by Innunique: 6:20am On Jun 06, 2015
imoleay0:
So bad.
Not bad any longer like the spoilt food(info) the medias and newspapers have been feeding U.
Re: Why Private NPFL Clubs Cease To Exist by Innunique: 6:21am On Jun 06, 2015
Agebrown:
Op...invest in npfl nd do all dx stuff u listed....let us see hw it works

Its already going on and whether U key-in or not is left to U.
Change has come to stay in our league.
Re: Why Private NPFL Clubs Cease To Exist by Innunique: 6:24am On Jun 06, 2015
enellinoh:
..such beauty...oh u girl u fine sha... f*vck Nigeria league n up EPL n d rest....

Thats why U keep living in bondage and the whites laugh at ur folly. Keep carrying their own for head while the true fans over there keep enjoying the benefits. I regard all supporting foreign leagues as not been wise.
Re: Why Private NPFL Clubs Cease To Exist by Innunique: 6:26am On Jun 06, 2015
Ojestas:
lol. .like 4 years ago.
U see! U have been feeding on spoilt food(info) for four years. If na ur health U dey treat this way, tell me U never go don fall into serious health issues?
Re: Why Private NPFL Clubs Cease To Exist by uduokirika1(m): 6:32am On Jun 06, 2015
taiocol:

Which 20million are you talking about here.
You know little or nothing about these clubs yet you talk like you know much. The highest wage paid by the government to the best player in a team is less than 100 and most of the players wages are unpaid for over 8months(Like the port Harcourt teams). Few of these players in the league earn little above 250,000 (Gabros, Kano Pillars, Warri Wolves and Enyimba ) in which the players wages are paid monthly. The league is being managed well by the lmc. Hope you won't complain when clubs are being ejected outta the league over unpaid wages and teams paying below the minimum wage set(150,000).

crownprince102
uduokirika1, krasid, honeric01, , groundnutoil

Guy I just dey read comments of people ooh, a lot of uninformed people trying to profer solutions.

Our league presently is on course and will soon get to desired status Just like our entertainment industry. I can still recall 10years ago 50cent, Jah rule, Usher R, Sean paul were our party jamz try dat sh*t today and people will stone the D.J. 15years ago our comedians were cracking jokes for free @ bar beach and even beg for free presentations at d Muson centre or National theatre but check them out today.

So all ye sons and daughters of doom go ye and stock ur heads inside fowl yansh!!!!!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Private NPFL Clubs Cease To Exist by Innunique: 6:41am On Jun 06, 2015
Tell them! them no know say Change has come to our league to stay! Them think say na still old story like before. Them no go read or research or verify, them go just come out dey talk anyhow.
Re: Why Private NPFL Clubs Cease To Exist by Ojestas(m): 6:57am On Jun 06, 2015
Innunique:

U see! U have been feeding on spoilt food(info) for four years. If na ur health U dey treat this way, tell me U never go don fall into serious health issues?
what is this one vomiting ?

1 Like

Re: Why Private NPFL Clubs Cease To Exist by honeric01(m): 7:14am On Jun 06, 2015
@OP
Half truth is more dangerous than ignorance.
Re: Why Private NPFL Clubs Cease To Exist by ModiKen(m): 7:43am On Jun 06, 2015
ednut1:
because there is no money to be made, dstv dat made epl easily accessible to Africans yet south Africans follow the local league with passion , the typical nigerian fans ( excluding aba and kano fans), prefers to watch EPL. your 50 naira u pay in viewing centre gets to dstv thru subs, which in turn gets to Epl, which in turn gets into the UK economy thru taxes and consumption. Africans make una wise up o
N.B do not quote as i am high on orijin

Well said. Everything on point Ednut1. If only our government could restructure and cleanup our club football system, Nigerians would rush to the stadiums to watch and support their local football clubs cos I believe, this same passion Nigerian football fans show for the EPL, would be channeled to the NPL once Nigerians start seeing changes and improvements in our local leagues. The following should be done:

1. Competent individuals should be appointed to run the Nigerian Sports Ministry, The Nigeria National League (NNL) and The League Management Company (which manages everything about our local league). That idea of man-know-man or "just to compensate my friend for all his support these past years even if he knows nothing about football management" should be dropped.

2. Standards and regulations should be put in place for the registration of club such as club structure, strong financial systems (to avoid bankruptcy), prompt payment of salaries/wages of managers and players of NPL football clubs and other measures to ensure the proper running our football clubs in Nigeria and also proper management of our stadiums and other facilities used by the clubs.

3. Strong measures should be put in place to put an end to that "win you home match at all cost" mentality, even if it means beating up referees and other match officials, which means proper security should be put in place at stadiums and hotels were opposition teams and match officials would be staying before and after the match.

4. There should be a total overhaul of our referee system. Those guys who officiate NPL matches are as corrupt than the average Nigerian politician. Football clubs officials (especially the home team) go to their hotel rooms to bribe them with brown envelops and girls (so they could have a good time before and after the match) so the referee or linesmen could award them soft penalties and other benefits during the match. These should be stopped. *Speaking from experience cos I was a referee for about 6 months until I called it quit cos I got admitted into a University.

5. Proper sponsorship bidding measures should be established so we avoid that embarrassing struggle between MTN and Globacom for the sponsorship of the league which occurred a few years back.

6. A serious advertisement campaign should be done to promote our local leagues to show the changes that have been made to the league system; to encourage Nigerians to go to stadiums and watch their local teams play; these adverts should be through TV, Radio, Newspapers, Internet and Social Media. The sponsor(s) of the League has the bulk of work to do here.

Maybe I missed one or two points but if these things are done, our leagues would improve. Nigerians would stop paying N50 to shout in viewing centres but would go to the stadiums to show passion for their state-owned or local teams. I'v seen first hand the passion Galatasary fans in Turkey show for their club. Singing, shouting and beating drums in support of the Istanbul club; when their team scores a goal, the noise from their shouts of joy is deafening. I dream of the day I would go support my state-owned team (the team I knew as a child) at the stadium right in my backyard.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Private NPFL Clubs Cease To Exist by franconian: 7:57am On Jun 06, 2015
Innunique:

Do u know how many games I watches on LA liga that has empty stadium that even a Lobi Stars match cud beat its chest with pride and say "this ones no reach"? even in Italy and France and Holland. Apart from their top clubs that do have filled seats day in day out, the rest of their teams na trampoline them dey take cover the empty seats cos no fans. Go confirm wetin I tell u so, but them no dey talk am out like U dey talk about our own.
And away-Win don plenty wella, abeg talk another thing.

Be it America, Africa, Europe or Asia... If players plenty pass spectators, count me out. Common end of year football competition for my village, everywhere dey full na come a whole national league.

Bros this one wey u dey talk like this so, hope u never go invest your money for NPL?
Re: Why Private NPFL Clubs Cease To Exist by uduokirika1(m): 8:30am On Jun 06, 2015
franconian:

Be it America, Africa, Europe or Asia... If players plenty pass spectators, count me out. Common end of year football competition for my village, everywhere dey full na come a whole national league.

Bros this one wey u dey talk like this so, hope u never go invest your money for NPL?
Let me quote u down for posterity sake.

As for empty stadia, its gradually phasing out. Most peeps who critize NPL often times base their assertions on hearsay. Visit Aba, Kano, Nnewi for NPL matches then come back and repeat your earlier postulation.
Re: Why Private NPFL Clubs Cease To Exist by Arcard(m): 8:52am On Jun 06, 2015
ednut1:
because there is no money to be made, dstv dat made epl easily accessible to Africans yet south Africans follow the local league with passion , the typical nigerian fans ( excluding aba and kano fans), prefers to watch EPL. your 50 naira u pay in viewing centre gets to dstv thru subs, which in turn gets to Epl, which in turn gets into the UK economy thru taxes and consumption. Africans make una wise up o
N.B do not quote as i am high on orijin
Na only pirate nd chiefs gt crowded stadium odas r empty. da league stl dy learn buh i lov chief ds season eh straight win all the way
Re: Why Private NPFL Clubs Cease To Exist by Arcard(m): 9:07am On Jun 06, 2015
in imo heartland players went to rochas for there salaries owned by d govt, wen rochas heard d players where owned 500,000,000 total plus sign on fees nd odas . he shouted nd ask if dm dy add any tin fo imo saying workers in imo r owned salary way dy hard to pay. na 30 players im go come pay 500 million to. naija league funny
Re: Why Private NPFL Clubs Cease To Exist by mikolo80: 9:26am On Jun 06, 2015
donsmall94:
Welcome to Nigeria where the major problem 2 every sector is CORRUPTION.
Says who? Our problem is poor education and ignorance
Re: Why Private NPFL Clubs Cease To Exist by Innunique: 9:46am On Jun 06, 2015
Ojestas:
I am vomiting so u lick up. are U OK now.?
Re: Why Private NPFL Clubs Cease To Exist by Innunique: 9:53am On Jun 06, 2015
franconian:

I don do so na. Been with Enyimba since my JSS3, my whole council in Lagos knows am Enyimba, not up to 2% percent know my real name, but a day old baby knows am Enyimba.
Re: Why Private NPFL Clubs Cease To Exist by Innunique: 10:02am On Jun 06, 2015
Ojestas:
Am vomiting info ( right info) so U can lick it up and be well(rightly informed) so ur bad health(misinformation) can be cured (upgraded and rightly informed).
Don't bother to thank me.
Re: Why Private NPFL Clubs Cease To Exist by taiocol: 10:05am On Jun 06, 2015
Re: Why Private NPFL Clubs Cease To Exist by Empredboy(m): 10:54am On Jun 06, 2015
Ojestas:
FTC again. . i dunno about those mentioned points,,all i know is that u don't win away games in naija.else, u r dead as the ref.
. Say the truth, you have not followed the league since last season because there have been alot away wins.
Re: Why Private NPFL Clubs Cease To Exist by Empredboy(m): 11:01am On Jun 06, 2015
okotv:
The major reason is that the league is not profitable. Private investments are for profits.
go through the article again, u will see that i list the reason why private clubs failed, if any new private club comes in all they need is to do the opposite of what i listed above then add 1 or 2 things.
Re: Why Private NPFL Clubs Cease To Exist by Empredboy(m): 11:24am On Jun 06, 2015
iseyinoro:
This OP knows little or nothing about the Nigerian Football League.You concentrated on Privately owned clubs of the 80s and early 90s as if the presently government owned clubs are doing better.LMC just increased the prize money to 80 million despite the fact that an average state governor spends about 200 million every year.Is that a loss or gain? Can you compare the spectators turnout in the 90s to what we have presently?
Our league is the 90s was well managed because of the zero government interference as most of the clubs were privately owned.
Most governors see football investment as a political tool in order to gain popularity unlike the Adebajos and Lekan Salamis of the that invested because of their love for the game.
i have written about the govt owned clubs until next week. Re-read what i wrote then u will understand that the adebajos did package super stores as business instead it a charity. Whose account did the sale of those white handkerchief of store went to? So leave the problem of govt owned clubs. Next week i write something about that by God's grace
Re: Why Private NPFL Clubs Cease To Exist by Empredboy(m): 11:28am On Jun 06, 2015
Ojestas:
lol. .like 4 years ago.
i beg follow this season and see for yourself. Thanks
Re: Why Private NPFL Clubs Cease To Exist by rafindo(m): 11:28am On Jun 06, 2015
Empredboy:
Football fans in nigeria have been made to belief that there is nothing good about the npfl to the extent that they listed too many reasons but one of the reasons that made me write this article is even the lost of private sector prefrence in the european league to our league.

The major argument these lads had among themselves was that no business man has ever invested his money in the league and make a profit because the 'system' is not business friendly. Example that the critics gave were that no private clubs owner ever made profit or sponsor.

Now i will like to counter their claims because this is one of the issues the 'anti-npfl' fans used in chasing away potential investors.

After i conducted a serious research on some big reigning private clubs in the 80s and 90s i came up with these following reason why these clubs stoped to operate; Using abiola babes, stationery stores,udoji
utd, eagle cement as a case study.

(1) MOTIVE: These club owners were running the business as a charity organisation not in the hope of making profit from it. Thats was why non of the clubs ever had any sponsor or collaboration with fans. Imagine a team having a full capacity stadium in its home ground on match days but not knowing how to make money from the fans by selling replica jerseys, club materials etc.

(2) FUTURE PLANS: All this teams both past and presnt to have futuristic plans for the clubs. The owners died and the clubs too died because they never plan to have any successor because after all its just a 'charity
business'.

(3) ACCOUNTABILTY: The owners felt they are not suppose to be accountable to anyone and so the gate takings (which was the major or only source of income)mostly ended up into the wrong hands with no
one the account for it.

(4) MANAGEMENT: What was the club managers experience in football business? Did they have Players develoment sheet so as to know the players market value at the end of every season? Did they know the
average number of their fans to expect on match days so as to know amount to expect as gate taking and to use in making loans payment if necessary.

So to those intending npfl investors please dont reason with the past mistakes instead work on the points listed above.
may God bless u my friend, this what I have been saying we need to defeat this trend if not we will be enslaved for life.why I support the participation of the private sector I also wish to advocate the community fan base ownership where concerned fans will own a club. the Barcelona model or the Portsmouth model

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

CAF Unveils CAF Awards 2023 Nominees For Women’s Categories / 2018 NBA Finals: Warriors Sweeps LeBron James Cavaliers For 2nd Straight Title / Table-tennis: Quadri Beats Rival, Assar To Win Second Senior Championship

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.