Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,563 members, 7,809,056 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:00 PM

Is Anybody In Nigeria Actually Learning Swift? (apples New Programming Language) - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Is Anybody In Nigeria Actually Learning Swift? (apples New Programming Language) (1343 Views)

Creating A New Programming Language / Top 10 New Programming Languages / Build A Mobile App Without Knowing Any Programming Language or line of code. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Anybody In Nigeria Actually Learning Swift? (apples New Programming Language) by kncokolo: 5:22pm On Jun 06, 2015
I'm learning Swift from Stanford's "Developing iOS 8 Apps with Swift" on iTunes U, I'm just wondering if anyone else is learning this language or whether it will have no place in nigeria?

Here's the link for anyone that's interested - https://itunes.apple.com/gb/course/developing-ios-8-apps-swift/id961180099.

If you don't have iTunes or an Apple device, someone uploaded the videos to YouTube -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOEPVM5OzJk?list=PLy7oRd3ashWodnpf8rjfYEkTgwbOEsKfU.

Also, I'm blogging about my journey learning programming. I post once a week and I share any resources that I've found useful. There is a ton of stuff out there, trust me. Here's my latest blog post - http:///giUlRTo2b0
Re: Is Anybody In Nigeria Actually Learning Swift? (apples New Programming Language) by codeaddict(m): 5:58pm On Jun 06, 2015
Started with the documentation some days ago.
Language's breezy, so far.
Re: Is Anybody In Nigeria Actually Learning Swift? (apples New Programming Language) by thewebcraft(m): 9:52pm On Jun 07, 2015
Is Anybody In Nigeria Actually Learning Swift?, so you think you're the only developer in Nigeria, you probably asked because you've not been exposed...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Anybody In Nigeria Actually Learning Swift? (apples New Programming Language) by realbee(m): 11:05pm On Jun 07, 2015
@op, I know a couple of guys who can do awesome stuffs with the language already. I can even call you a late comer.

2 Likes

Re: Is Anybody In Nigeria Actually Learning Swift? (apples New Programming Language) by thewebcraft(m): 11:35pm On Jun 07, 2015
realbee:
@op, I know a couple of guys who can do awesome stuffs with the language already. I can even call you a late comer.
Lol grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Is Anybody In Nigeria Actually Learning Swift? (apples New Programming Language) by Nobody: 11:09am On Jun 08, 2015
yea but got no mac to build apps...
Re: Is Anybody In Nigeria Actually Learning Swift? (apples New Programming Language) by Nobody: 6:28pm On Jun 09, 2015
Luedave:
yea but got no mac to build apps...

Can't u run a Mac VM image on a VMWare server running on Windows?
Re: Is Anybody In Nigeria Actually Learning Swift? (apples New Programming Language) by Nobody: 7:48pm On Jun 09, 2015
danjumakolo:

Can't u run a Mac VM image on a VMWare server running on Windows?
oh how can i do dat
Re: Is Anybody In Nigeria Actually Learning Swift? (apples New Programming Language) by Nobody: 10:14pm On Jun 09, 2015
Luedave:
oh how can i do dat

I have not really tried it.
But the below except sent shud help.

"It's certainly possible to develop on a Windows machine, in fact my first application was exclusively developed on the old Dell Precision I had at the time smiley

There are three routes;

Install OSx86 (aka iATKOS / Kalyway) on a second partition/disk and dual boot.
Run Mac OS X Server under VMWare (Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion) onwards, read the update below).
Use Delphi XE4 and the macincloud service. This is a commercial tool set, but the component and lib support is growing.
The first route requires modifying (or using a pre-modified) image of Leopard that can be installed on a regular PC. This is not as hard as you would think, although your success/effort ratio will depend upon how closely the hardware in your PC matches that in Mac hardware - e.g. if you're running a Core 2 Duo on an Intel Motherboard, with a NVidia graphics card you are laughing. If you're running an AMD machine or something without SSE3 it gets a little more involved.

If you purchase (or already own) a version of Leopard then this is a gray area since the Leopard EULA states you may only run it on an "Apple Labeled" machine. As many point out if you stick an Apple sticker on your PC you're probably covered.

The second option is the more costly. The EULA for the workstation version of Leopard prevents it from being run under emulation and as a result there's no support in VMWare for this. Leopard server however CAN be run under emulation and can be used for desktop purposes. Leopard server and VMWare are expensive however.

If you're interested in option 1) I would suggest starting at Insanelymac and reading the OSx86 sections.

I do think you should consider whether the time you will invest is going to be worth the money you will save though. It was for me because I enjoy tinkering with this type of stuff and I started during the early iPhone betas, months before their App Store became available.

Alternatively you could pickup a low-spec Mac Mini from eBay. You don't need much horse power to run the SDK and you can always sell it on later if you decide to stop development or buy a better Mac.

Update: You cannot create a Mac OS X Client virtual machine for OS X 10.6 and earlier. Apple does not allow these Client OSes to be virtualized. With Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion) onwards, Apple has changed their licensing agreement in regards to virtualization.""

Source: VMWare KnowledgeBase
Re: Is Anybody In Nigeria Actually Learning Swift? (apples New Programming Language) by seunthomas: 11:49pm On Jun 09, 2015
Word of advice. Wait a year before jumping on the bad wagon. My experience with new languages is they are merely experiments in developer adoption. If swift does not get adopted by the community apple may probably yank it off and stop the project. So be a little patient.

(1) (Reply)

Code Java Like A Pro / UI/UX Internship / I Need Help With The Dark Web

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.