Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,980 members, 7,799,342 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 07:15 PM

Join The Ride From London To Lagos By Road - Car Talk (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Join The Ride From London To Lagos By Road (24677 Views)

Ferrari And Lamborghini Spotted In Lagos By FreezeCoolFm (photos) / Ayo Fayose's New Official Ride (PHOTOS) 1957 Mercedes Benz 220S Sedan / Have You Bought A Ride From Coutonou? -share Ur Experience Pls! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Join The Ride From London To Lagos By Road by Funkstein(m): 11:22pm On Jan 18, 2010
Siena told me about this thread but I could not find it until now, this is the thread I started https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=382953.msg5335408#msg5335408

Firstly I would like to point out that in travelling along the coast of West Africa any car in relatively good condition should be able to make the trip, afterall cars drive on the same roads in the individual countries we intend to cross and more to the point most of these countries have better roads than those found in Naija and cars have been known to do many hundreds of thousands of Kilometers across Naija having being maintained by our home grown mechanics so what is the big deal ?

I know there are many other issues it is just that the issue of ordinary cars not being able to make the journey keeps cropping up.
Re: Join The Ride From London To Lagos By Road by KnowAll(m): 12:37am On Mar 27, 2010
Has it happened yes or no since 1996, pickin wey dem born sef go dey go 4 years now.
Re: Join The Ride From London To Lagos By Road by OmoAkerele(m): 2:57am On Jan 14, 2011
@ Komekn; how far ?? I only just discovered Nairaland recently, I know it’s an old posting, but I hope you haven’t given up on making your dream a reality. It’s very possible; it just needs planning due to all the paper work (visas, correct vehicle documents, yellow card) involved. The other stuff like what vehicle, food and accommodate is pretty straight forward considering you plan to do the Western Sahara route.

It doesn’t necessary have to be done in a 4x4 or SUV, what’s important is you understand and trust your vehicle. I and a female co-pilot did it in a common 16 year old Peugeot 505 saloon, in Dec 2004 along the Western Sahara route, it was our first road trip, for which in hindsight we actually over-prepared. It ended up being more than just a holiday or vacation; it was a life time experience…wonderful !!!
[Western Sahara (25.Nov – 23.Dec 2004: 29 days) Germany – France – Spain – Morocco – Mauritania – Mali – Burkina Faso – Ghana – Togo – Benin – Nigeria]

Our second road trip was directly across the Sahara desert, was also done in a Peugeot 505, but station wagon, (converted the back into our sleeping quarters). This time we were 6 people and 3 vehicles (two Peugeot 505 and a Jeep Cherokee), it wasn’t easy o without 4 wheel drive, but GREAT FUN !!.
[London/Colonge to Lagos through the Sahara Desert ( 16.Dec.2007 – 10.Jan.2008 : 26 days): England/Germany – Switzerland – Italy – Tunisia – Algeria – Mali – Niger - Burkina Faso – Benin – Nigeria]

I assume Wabada and prinnced were referring to my road trip, if you want more details to assist you planning, feel free.

Re: Join The Ride From London To Lagos By Road by Funkstein(m): 4:53pm On Oct 19, 2011
Omo Akerele, DecoTech, Siena and others, of course the trip has not taken place yet, but it will that is for sure, I have finally got hold of the Nigerian who did it in 1980 in a Ford Capri 3.0S no less, he reckoned 21 days, of course Africa was a totally different place then,
I am not hearing good things about Tamanrasset and the outskirts as Bandits will rob you of everything apparently, and that is from an Algerian Geologist friend who sometimes works in the area with heavy armed guards.
The Western Sahara is also a potential trouble spot as it appears it is virtually no man’s land and anything goes, hmmmm

Omo Akerele, you are truly one in a million for doing that trip on your own, the pics are amazing, and you slept on the roof of the car, Kudos to you my man, you deserve and award, I would love to hear about your amazing adventure in more detail, can you please send me your contact details if you don't mind me contacting you direct. And yes I am very much up for a drive down in a year’s time you can bet on that, my vehicle is ready and waiting, just need to change the clutch, lol

I attach a road map just to give others an idea of the routes involved,
Re: Join The Ride From London To Lagos By Road by Funkstein(m): 4:54pm On Oct 19, 2011
Road Map of Africa

Re: Join The Ride From London To Lagos By Road by adook1: 5:14pm On Oct 19, 2011
I will advise you to carry armed guards,bandits from igboland have taken over,they leave aba,onitsha and go and wait there to rob fellow nigerians a large part are running away from libya having been used by gaddafi to kill and maim so be careful
Re: Join The Ride From London To Lagos By Road by Funkstein(m): 5:28pm On Oct 19, 2011
Omo Akerele, DecoTech, Siena and others, of course the trip has not taken place yet, but it will that is for sure, I have finally got hold of the Nigerian who did it in 1980 in a Ford Capri 3.0S no less, he reckoned 21 days, of course Africa was a totally different place then,
I am not hearing good things about Tamanrasset and the outskirts as Bandits will rob you of everything apparently, and that is from an Algerian Geologist friend who sometimes works in the area with heavy armed guards.
The Western Sahara is also a potential trouble spot as it appears it is virtually no man’s land and anything goes, hmmmm

Omo Akerele, you are truly one in a million for doing that trip on your own, the pics are amazing, and you slept on the roof of the car, Kudos to you my man, you deserve and award, I would love to hear about your amazing adventure in more detail, can you please send me your contact details if you don't mind me contacting you direct. And yes I am very much up for a drive down in a year’s time you can bet on that, my vehicle is ready and waiting, just need to change the clutch, lol

I attach a road map just to give others an idea of the routes involved,

Re: Join The Ride From London To Lagos By Road by Funkstein(m): 11:18pm On Nov 09, 2011
Thanks Ado OK, good advice there our people are not easy O!!!!!
Re: Join The Ride From London To Lagos By Road by OmoAkerele(m): 6:22pm On Nov 23, 2011
@Funk Stein
There is never going to be a 100% perfect time to do such a road trip, Sadly the African continent always appears to have potential trouble spots, it just requires proper planning to minimize the risk.

Route 7 on your map has got to many border crossings, which can be a nightmare and consumes time, on my first trip we took route 1 then 5, but from Ouagadougou went straight down south to Lome. The Initial plan was to enter Ghana from the north, and go via Accra to Nigeria, (Anglophone countries appear to be a lot more corrupt than francophone countries), as we did not have a Carnet de Passages, the Ghanaian border control wanted a deposit of £1000 for my car, when so far other border crossing we had been paying an equivalent of between £20 - £15 for a Laisser Passe (Temporary import permit), so we headed further east in Burkina-Faso and entered Togo from the North straight down to Lome, onward to Nigeria along the coast.

On the second trip, we got to Tamanrasset with the plan to go straight on down to Agadez (Niger) but were advice to avoid Northern Niger (we knew that might happen before we left London), so we had to head further west in Algeria, via Bordj Mokhtar (Algeria) into Northern Mali and then entered Niger from the South-West border via Labbezanga (Mali).

In terms of bandits along the route, since we did it in a Peugeot 505, we did not really stand out as compared to being in a 4x4, not being exactly white skinned (100% Oyindo) might have also been an advantage. The Western Sahara route is relative save at the moment and should be possible in 21days with little or no sight seeing and limited rest days. The so call no man’s land between Morocco and Mauritania is actually save, just make sure you stay on the main piste.

Bandits are everywhere, and mostly operate at night, so logically avoid night time travel, unfortunately in Nigeria, Police and so called local Government officials operate/rob in broad day light, having all your paper work and documents complete is no guarantee for hassle free day time travel. Once across Seme border, you’ll understand why Nigeria is the worst route by road along the whole route, the only comfort we had is we were Nigerian ourselves.

Feel free to contact me directly:  tundeadu@hotmail.com

I assume you live in the UK, I should be over in Dagenham (London) for the Christmas break (16th to 29th Dec)

Re: Join The Ride From London To Lagos By Road by maxtum(m): 8:59pm On Nov 23, 2011
Chie! hope this trip neva take place ooooo! i fit go find those Militiant, imagine pump action, AK49, Bazuka and grenade for hand just in case! and if possible borrow Some Boko Haram if bombing Armed Robbers is needed! (just in case)!!

The trip would be fun, i mean Mad fun and have 190 as our comedian!, get strippers to strip at each boarder town!

Mad fun! mad fun, i tell you!

Am over gamed, don't have a car sha! but can arrange the Fun! halla wen una don prepare.
Re: Join The Ride From London To Lagos By Road by Funkstein(m): 3:41am On Dec 10, 2011
Maxtum, you dey crase, LOL

Tunde mail sent, cheers.
Re: Join The Ride From London To Lagos By Road by Funkstein(m): 6:28pm On Jan 08, 2012
It is on O!!!!! All interested parties should please come forward, planned date is July August this year,
all enquiries to orlandocruz@hotmail.co.uk
Re: Join The Ride From London To Lagos By Road by Nobody: 9:50am On Aug 29, 2014
Any updates?
Re: Join The Ride From London To Lagos By Road by Nobody: 8:50pm On Aug 29, 2014
Gosh if only I met the thread at an earlier time
omoakerele indeed is a man
I love those pictures
thy are very beautiful
what peaugot wagon is that
are those cars lowered or its the weight
the peaugot looks cool both have body kits
Re: Join The Ride From London To Lagos By Road by yungboss(m): 10:32am On Aug 30, 2014
The Peugeot cars are really cool, I like them because they are tough and rugged. Camels of the Sahara...
Re: Join The Ride From London To Lagos By Road by Nobody: 2:31pm On Aug 30, 2014
CityNG: Any updates?
none o! I am patiently waiting for folks to start. Adanny with your prado, you're good to go.
Re: Join The Ride From London To Lagos By Road by Nobody: 3:56pm On Aug 30, 2014
yungboss: The Peugeot cars are really cool, I like them because they are tough and rugged. Camels of the Sahara...

Yeah, Ikenna should have slapped me to my senses with these pictures of 505s in the Sahara. Lol
Re: Join The Ride From London To Lagos By Road by Nobody: 4:14pm On Aug 30, 2014
lomomike: none o! I am patiently waiting for folks to start. Adanny with your prado, you're good to go.

These is something you can sell to your "Oga at the top".

Wouldn't it be cool if it's sponsored by Nairaland (partly) and you set up a support van emblazoned with Nairaland logo?

1 Like

Re: Join The Ride From London To Lagos By Road by Nobody: 4:18pm On Aug 30, 2014
CityNG:

These is something you can sell to your "Oga at the top".

Wouldn't it be cool if it's sponsored by Nairaland (partly) and you set up a support van emblazoned with Nairaland logo?

I no get any oga at any top. Na me be my own oga and na only me waka come.

2 Likes

Re: Join The Ride From London To Lagos By Road by Nobody: 12:10am On Sep 03, 2014
Am up to this, I will be in London next year.i also believe lay my hands on a range rover LR3. Driving is my hobby.
Re: Join The Ride From London To Lagos By Road by DECOtech(m): 3:39am On Sep 03, 2014
chimoz: Am up to this, I will be in London next year.i also believe lay my hands on a range rover LR3. Driving is my hobby.
You and I must have been classmates in primary 1
Re: Join The Ride From London To Lagos By Road by Nobody: 9:49am On Sep 03, 2014
DECOtech: You and I must have been classmates in primary 1
What else? Can you go and die now.
Re: Join The Ride From London To Lagos By Road by DECOtech(m): 10:02pm On Sep 03, 2014
chimoz:
What else? Can you go and die now.
gosh! ...ur such a hostile fellow. I was just tryn to indicate that I also luv to drive and this is what you say to me? Ok, I have refused to die. Go hug a moving train.
Re: Join The Ride From London To Lagos By Road by Nobody: 11:18pm On Sep 03, 2014
DECOtech: gosh! ...ur such a hostile fellow. I was just tryn to indicate that I also luv to drive and this is what you say to me? Ok, I have refused to die. Go hug a moving train.
Am sorry, you know how Nairaland trolls will make someone to always be on the defensive. Please try and forgive.
Re: Join The Ride From London To Lagos By Road by DECOtech(m): 11:56pm On Sep 03, 2014
chimoz:
Am sorry, you know how Nairaland trolls will make someone to always be on the defensive. Please try and forgive.
hahahahahaha! I understand. You are forgiven.
Re: Join The Ride From London To Lagos By Road by Nobody: 12:01am On Sep 04, 2014
DECOtech: hahahahahaha! I understand. You are forgiven.
Thank you sir.
Re: Join The Ride From London To Lagos By Road by hameeduel: 9:15pm On Dec 08, 2014
Hi guys, just stumbled upon this thread. How far with the trip?
Re: Join The Ride From London To Lagos By Road by tori9: 9:59am On Dec 22, 2014
hameeduel:
Hi guys, just stumbled upon this thread. How far with the trip?

I am currently planning a trip like this to happen in about 4 weeks' time. Are you interested in coming along? It's from Lagos to Morocco though.
Re: Join The Ride From London To Lagos By Road by Absoj(m): 11:19am On Dec 22, 2014
Cool but. Dangerous
Re: Join The Ride From London To Lagos By Road by OmoAkerele(m): 2:04am On Dec 28, 2014
@Readone35L
Nope…the Peugeot's 505 were not lowered, just slightly overloaded, but I fitted rear Rubber coil spring assister (http://www.springassisters.co.uk/menu.htm) to try and maintain a descent ride height, and had reinforced side walls tyres and a bash plate fitted were the only modification I made. I also converted the rear of the station wagon into sleeping quarters and storage compartments (see picture 2). The station wagon was a 1992 American spec 2.2 GTI, manual, 8 seater, with AC. While the saloon driven by my brother was a 1988 European spec 2.8L V6 manual with a roof tent as sleeping quarters.

@CityNG, Lomomike, chimoz
Update…..Funkstein, myself, my brother and 2 other friends did do the trip, although not in summer of 2012, but last year (November 2013) taking the Western Sahara route (England/Germany - France - Spain - Morocco - Mauritania - Senegal - Mali - BukinaFaso - Togo - Benin - Nigeria). This time I decide to do the trip with Okada.

Brief description of the pictures.
1. Saloon roof tent…Sahara Desert Algeria. December 2007
2. Station wagon sleeping quarters…Tamanrasset Algeria. December 2007
3. Sleeping at a Petrol station near Rabat… Morocco
4. My Okada 505… Morocco
5. Taking a pee break…Mauritania
6. Topping up on water.. .Senegal
7. Faille D’Aledjo… Togo
8. The rest of the crew
9. Ore, Sagamu - Benin Expressway.. made it home to Ondo state Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Join The Ride From London To Lagos By Road by OmoAkerele(m): 2:08am On Dec 28, 2014
Pictures
4. My 505 Okada… Morocco
5. Taking a pee break…Mauritania
6. Topping up on water.. .Senegal

Re: Join The Ride From London To Lagos By Road by OmoAkerele(m): 2:10am On Dec 28, 2014
Pictures
7. Faille D’Aledjo… Togo
8. The rest of the crew
9. Ore, Sagamu - Benin Expressway.. made it home to Ondo state Nigeria.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

At What Age Did You Buy Your First-Car And How Much Then? / Where Can One Buy Premium Fuel ( High Octane )? / Innoson Rolls Out 500 Made In Nigeria Cars Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.