Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,801 members, 7,806,230 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 01:16 PM

Chris Anyanwu's Bill Did Not Set 11 Years As The Age Of Consent (to Sexual Acts) - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Chris Anyanwu's Bill Did Not Set 11 Years As The Age Of Consent (to Sexual Acts) (21492 Views)

Betty Anyanwu Akeredolu And Her 4 Children (Photos) / I Was Sidelined In Disbursement Of Campaign Funds- Chris Anyanwu. / Open Letter To Prof. Wole Soyinka On Sexual Bill. By Chris Anyanwu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chris Anyanwu's Bill Did Not Set 11 Years As The Age Of Consent (to Sexual Acts) by lomprico(m): 4:52pm On Jun 07, 2015
TheOtherview:
Naptu Sir, you know that I have never found any of your posts disagreeable up till this point.
But I beg to disagree on this one.

Let me explain why...

^^^No wiggle room - the language is clear and unambiguous

^^^ By inserting the word "liable", wiggle room was provided here

Now I am no legal bird but I think changing shall to liable leaves clause 2 open to interpretation

So what's ur point?

3 Likes

Re: Chris Anyanwu's Bill Did Not Set 11 Years As The Age Of Consent (to Sexual Acts) by VhatAmazingDude: 4:53pm On Jun 07, 2015
Isn't this the point? I've always maintained 'The average black man is a poor scholar'.
Yet, some individuals would stand on 'poorly-understood' points to advertize their absolute lack of knowledge to the world.
Re: Chris Anyanwu's Bill Did Not Set 11 Years As The Age Of Consent (to Sexual Acts) by Nobody: 4:56pm On Jun 07, 2015
VhatAmazingDude:
Isn't this the point? I've always maintained 'The average black man is a poor scholar'.
Yet, some individuals would stand on 'poorly-understood' points to advertize their absolute lack of knowledge to the world.

How to hide something from a black man? Put it in a book
Re: Chris Anyanwu's Bill Did Not Set 11 Years As The Age Of Consent (to Sexual Acts) by Nobody: 4:57pm On Jun 07, 2015
218. Any person who has unlawful carnal knowledge of a[b]girl[/b] under the age of thirteen years is guilty of a felony, and is liable to imprisonment for life, with or without caning. Any person who attempts to have unlawful carnal knowledge of a[b]girl[/b] under the age of thirteen years -is guilty of a felony, and is liable to imprisonment for fourteen years, with or without caning. A prosecution for either of the offences defined in this section shall be begun within two months after the offence is committed. A person cannot he convicted of either of the offences defined in this section upon the uncorroborated testimony of one witness.
219. Any person who, being the owner or occupier of any premises, or having, or acting, or assisting in the management or control of any premises, induces or knowingly permits any[b]girl[/b] of such age as is in this section mentioned to resort to or be in or upon such premises for the purpose of being unlawfully carnally known by any man, whether a particular man or not, is guilty of an offence. If the girl is of or above thirteen and under sixteen years of age, he is guilty of a misdemeanour and is liable to imprisonment for two years, with or without caning. If the girl is under the age of thirteen years, he is guilty of felony, and is liable to imprisonment for life, with or without caning. 220. *It is a defence to a charge of any of the offences defined in the last preceding section to prove that the accused person believed, on reasonable grounds, that the girl was of or above the age of sixteen years. 221. Any person who- (1) has or attempts to have unlawful carnal knowledge of a girl being of or above thirteen years and under sixteen years of age; or (2) knowing a woman or[b]girl[/b] to be an id.iot or imb*ecile, has or attempts to have unlawful carnal knowledge of her; is guilty of a misdemeanour, and is liable to imprisonment for two years, with or without caning.
222. Any person who unlawfully and indecently deals with a girl under the age of sixteen years is guilty of a misdemeanour, and is liable to imprisonment for two years, with or without caning. If the girl is under the age of thirteen years, he is guilty of a felony and is liable to imprisonment for three years, with or without caning. *It is a defence to a charge of the offence defined in this section to prove that the accused person believed, on reasonable grounds, that the girl was of or above the age of sixteen years. The term "deal with" includes doing any act which, if done without consent, would constitute an assault, as hereinafter defined.
222A. (1) Whoever, having the custody, charge or care of a girl under the age of sixteen years, causes or encourages the seduction, unlawful carnal knowledge or prostitution of, or the commission of an indecent assault upon, such a girl, shall be liable to imprisonment for two years. (2) For the purposes of this section, a person shall be deemed to have caused or encouraged the seduction, unlawful carnal knowledge or prostitution of, or the commission of an indecent assault upon, a [b]gir[/b]l who has been seduced, unlawfully carnally known, or indecently assaulted, or who has become a prostitute, if he has knowingly allowed her to consort with, or to enter or continue in the employment of, any prostitute or person of known immoral character.

To my own knowledge,this bill was passed solely. To favour the female species

Where are the so called nl feminist..
What ya say...
Re: Chris Anyanwu's Bill Did Not Set 11 Years As The Age Of Consent (to Sexual Acts) by Ishilove: 4:57pm On Jun 07, 2015
UjSizzle:
This is why I love Naptu2 cheesy
This is why WE love Naptu2 angry

Sveen, this is why I love Naptu2 cheesy
Re: Chris Anyanwu's Bill Did Not Set 11 Years As The Age Of Consent (to Sexual Acts) by dave2meek(m): 4:57pm On Jun 07, 2015
Ok i've heard
Re: Chris Anyanwu's Bill Did Not Set 11 Years As The Age Of Consent (to Sexual Acts) by TheOtherview: 4:58pm On Jun 07, 2015
lomprico:

So what's ur point?

You can read and comprehend, can't you?
Re: Chris Anyanwu's Bill Did Not Set 11 Years As The Age Of Consent (to Sexual Acts) by TheOtherview: 4:58pm On Jun 07, 2015
Re: Chris Anyanwu's Bill Did Not Set 11 Years As The Age Of Consent (to Sexual Acts) by seunmsg(m): 5:01pm On Jun 07, 2015
superstar1:

Under the customary law of Nigeria which our marriage law derives its root from, the parental consent is the most important thing. Once there is parental consent to the mariage, no matter the age of the child, the husband can consumate the marrriage, except there is angreement between the families ab initio.

Though I am not a lawyer.

That is why you will still have to do traditional wedding whether you are having court or church or mosque marriage. The husband cannot be jailed.

Like someone said, a part of the law is for the rich and a part is for the poor.

I think the child right act as clearly stated 18 to be the age of consent for marriage. The only problem with its enforcement is that it has not been domesticated in all states of the country.

I also think this new law will really make it more difficult for anybody to marry a girl that is under 18. If it is now illegal to sleep with a girl under 18, marrying a girl under 18 will technically be illegal since sex is inevitable in a marriage. My opinion though.
Re: Chris Anyanwu's Bill Did Not Set 11 Years As The Age Of Consent (to Sexual Acts) by Sveen: 5:04pm On Jun 07, 2015
Ishilove:

This is why WE love Naptu2 angry

Sveen, this is why I love Naptu2 cheesy
[img]http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQTLDWxUvduHqQVVhEcofVwRT8u45QE06BqDK81NkZEjTfqawoz02Pqxys[/img]

[img]http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQQaVyo2NW_8bYRfqfsKIpNP6Xt679qNN9sgIRI5QAF1Qv3CBt0Po8-hBw[/img]

embarassed Mr. Naptu2, please let me know the old man behind you.

1 Like

Re: Chris Anyanwu's Bill Did Not Set 11 Years As The Age Of Consent (to Sexual Acts) by segalex: 5:07pm On Jun 07, 2015
thanks for the enlightenment
Re: Chris Anyanwu's Bill Did Not Set 11 Years As The Age Of Consent (to Sexual Acts) by channelz: 5:07pm On Jun 07, 2015
This is more like it. I guess the accounts of Hon. Patrick and FFK were hacked.
Re: Chris Anyanwu's Bill Did Not Set 11 Years As The Age Of Consent (to Sexual Acts) by Sagamite(m): 5:13pm On Jun 07, 2015
naptu2:
x

Well said and put, nigga.

Most of our people are so dumb.
Re: Chris Anyanwu's Bill Did Not Set 11 Years As The Age Of Consent (to Sexual Acts) by Mrchuddy(m): 5:13pm On Jun 07, 2015
This is one of the major reasons why I don't comment on posts if am not convinced that I should comment on it. There are lies,deceit and propaganda flying around this days and you need to be well enlightened, up to date, informed, aware, involved,free from influence, non partisan even in the midst party politics. Nigerians should take this information as a lesson and try to verify, compare, reason, criticize and even listen to others opinion before commenting or airing their views. Thanks.
Re: Chris Anyanwu's Bill Did Not Set 11 Years As The Age Of Consent (to Sexual Acts) by TheOtherview: 5:15pm On Jun 07, 2015
seunmsg:

I think the child right act as clearly stated 18 to be the age of consent for marriage. The only problem with its enforcement is that it has not been domesticated in all states of the country.

I also think this new law will really make it more difficult for anybody to marry a girl that is under 18. If it is now illegal to sleep with a girl under 18, marrying a girl under 18 will technically be illegal since sex is inevitable in a marriage. My opinion though.

You are absolutely right on the first point you made, but not necessarily the second.
As far I know (and I stand to be corrected); in much the same way that the amendment under discussion allows circumvention of the law concerning "age of consent", for those with the creative mien and financial wherewithal necessary, so do our subsisting laws on marriage.

Thanks to a legal loophole, the average age of marriage for girls in Kebbi State, northern Nigeria, is 11 years old. The law is often manipulated and exploited for perverse ends, but it's rare that one forgotten detail in legislation can affect an entire mass of people quite so profoundly.

Section 29 of the Nigerian constitution allows any Nigerian of full age (18 or above) to renounce his or her citizenship. However, a subsection of that law adds that women can only be deemed of full age when they get married—a convenient loophole that's become easy to exploit by any adult man in the mood to snatch himself up a child bride.

Re: Chris Anyanwu's Bill Did Not Set 11 Years As The Age Of Consent (to Sexual Acts) by superstar1(m): 5:19pm On Jun 07, 2015
seunmsg:

Note the words being used by the Act -- Unlawful carnal knowledge and defilement.

For stated that have not adopted the Child Right Act, most especially the northern states, they will never adopt it again. FOr the ones that have adopted it, having sex under whatever guise with under 18 is now criminal.
Re: Chris Anyanwu's Bill Did Not Set 11 Years As The Age Of Consent (to Sexual Acts) by unite4real: 5:27pm On Jun 07, 2015
naptu2:

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2487485_img20150606122115_jpegb2027ffe21fc722db8797b4a5e4c6cbd

What's the difference between 2,3 and 4? All I see at the end is life imprisonment
Re: Chris Anyanwu's Bill Did Not Set 11 Years As The Age Of Consent (to Sexual Acts) by MugabeRobert: 5:30pm On Jun 07, 2015
Lemon12:
I guess this law is for poor men .......

What of buhari that had an unlawful carnal knowledge with Aisha at the age of 9yrs? Is he above the law ? Why is buhari walking around as a free man after committing FELONY?

What of Yerima?? Is he also untouchable like buhari

Yeah, like ojukwu having carnal knowledge of bianca when she was still wearing napkin. The joke is on you.

1 Like

Re: Chris Anyanwu's Bill Did Not Set 11 Years As The Age Of Consent (to Sexual Acts) by queensmith: 5:32pm On Jun 07, 2015
how about the children between the ages of 11 and 12 and between the ages of 15 and 16? What kind of nuisance law writing is this?
Re: Chris Anyanwu's Bill Did Not Set 11 Years As The Age Of Consent (to Sexual Acts) by Jibreen4u(m): 5:43pm On Jun 07, 2015
DankemzI:
This is what Cynthia Morgan calls German Juice
dat video is da Sh*t
Re: Chris Anyanwu's Bill Did Not Set 11 Years As The Age Of Consent (to Sexual Acts) by lomprico(m): 5:52pm On Jun 07, 2015
TheOtherview:

You can read and comprehend, can't you?
I have read and comprehended I just dnt understand why u are disagreeing with d op.

2 Likes

Re: Chris Anyanwu's Bill Did Not Set 11 Years As The Age Of Consent (to Sexual Acts) by EzeRedd(m): 6:00pm On Jun 07, 2015
Nice work op. From reading the bill what I have gathered is that 1. as long as a girl is under the age of 18 there is nothing like consent. 2. Defilement isn't the same as rape. It includes rape and mutual consent.meaning that as long as the girl in question is below 18, the perpetrator will be prosecuted without considering whether d female party agreed.(many guys go enter gobe with dis one). That being said my, problem with the bill is that why didn't it just state that any act of sex with a girl under the age of 18 comes with life imprisonment, why was it divided into 11, 16 and 18 with the same life imprisonment sentence. Can anybody explain this.
Re: Chris Anyanwu's Bill Did Not Set 11 Years As The Age Of Consent (to Sexual Acts) by SpeedyConnect(m): 6:00pm On Jun 07, 2015
kevinberry:
All I keep seeing is girl, girl and girl

So it only girls that get defiled or rape @ their young age....

And the so called nairaland feminist is not saying anything about this

Ooo..I forgot,feminist has and will always be about the female selfish desire

Bunch of hypocrites
well, that's the case with all rape and defilement cases.
it is believed that a woman cannot rape a man.
Re: Chris Anyanwu's Bill Did Not Set 11 Years As The Age Of Consent (to Sexual Acts) by SpeedyConnect(m): 6:07pm On Jun 07, 2015
superstar1:

Under the customary law of Nigeria which our marriage law derives its root from, the parental consent is the most important thing. Once there is parental consent to the mariage, no matter the age of the child, the husband can consumate the marrriage, except there is angreement between the families ab initio.

Though I am not a lawyer.

That is why you will still have to do traditional wedding whether you are having court or church or mosque marriage. The husband cannot be jailed.

Like someone said, a part of the law is for the rich and a part is for the poor.
parental consent, granted bis important but bcan be dispensed with in some places.
Again, action can be instituted against parents when it bis suspected that consent is being withdrawn unreasonably.
Re: Chris Anyanwu's Bill Did Not Set 11 Years As The Age Of Consent (to Sexual Acts) by Nobody: 6:27pm On Jun 07, 2015
SpeedyConnect:
well, that's the case with all rape and defilement cases.
it is believed that a woman cannot rape a man.

Women can and do sexually abuse boys.
Re: Chris Anyanwu's Bill Did Not Set 11 Years As The Age Of Consent (to Sexual Acts) by Dinvictus: 6:28pm On Jun 07, 2015
naptu2:

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2487485_img20150606122115_jpegb2027ffe21fc722db8797b4a5e4c6cbd
Please elucidate on the No.1......it says that anyone who commits an act which causes penetration?? Red flag..... So no penetration, no defilement? In a situation where a child(<18year old) is caressed or rubbed against suggestively without penetration nko?
Re: Chris Anyanwu's Bill Did Not Set 11 Years As The Age Of Consent (to Sexual Acts) by urchmanx(m): 6:31pm On Jun 07, 2015
please can you send me a link to the bill i want to go through it as well. Thank you.
Re: Chris Anyanwu's Bill Did Not Set 11 Years As The Age Of Consent (to Sexual Acts) by pinkguy(m): 6:40pm On Jun 07, 2015
Don't quick to forget the word* unlawful * if the so called person*teen* agree is not unlawful so its legal
Re: Chris Anyanwu's Bill Did Not Set 11 Years As The Age Of Consent (to Sexual Acts) by tabolaji: 7:39pm On Jun 07, 2015
searay:
I still don't understand after reading

It's people like you that leverage on headlines to spread rumour. Imagine!

1 Like

Re: Chris Anyanwu's Bill Did Not Set 11 Years As The Age Of Consent (to Sexual Acts) by Nobody: 8:11pm On Jun 07, 2015
tabolaji:

It's people like you that leverage on headlines to spread rumour. Imagine!

They were even proud to announce their inability to comprehend simple English
Re: Chris Anyanwu's Bill Did Not Set 11 Years As The Age Of Consent (to Sexual Acts) by Nobody: 8:31pm On Jun 07, 2015
naptu2:

And what if someone marries a girl of 11 years and penetrates them, what does the constitution and this new laws say about it

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

After Tinubu’s Letter To Oyegun, Buhari Meets APC Chairman / Onnoghen's Exit Splits Supreme Court. / Hypocrisy : Reno Omokri Blasts Buhari ( Screenshot)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.