Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,373 members, 7,808,301 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:05 AM

Chris Anyanwu's Bill Did Not Set 11 Years As The Age Of Consent (to Sexual Acts) - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Chris Anyanwu's Bill Did Not Set 11 Years As The Age Of Consent (to Sexual Acts) (21495 Views)

Betty Anyanwu Akeredolu And Her 4 Children (Photos) / I Was Sidelined In Disbursement Of Campaign Funds- Chris Anyanwu. / Open Letter To Prof. Wole Soyinka On Sexual Bill. By Chris Anyanwu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chris Anyanwu's Bill Did Not Set 11 Years As The Age Of Consent (to Sexual Acts) by nameee: 8:55pm On Jun 07, 2015
"knowing a woman or girl to be an id.iot or imb*ecile, has or attempts to have unlawful carnal knowledge of her;

is guilty of a misdemeanour, and is liable to imprisonment for two years, with or without caning". Who dey write these laws sef calling people idiots and imbeciles.
Re: Chris Anyanwu's Bill Did Not Set 11 Years As The Age Of Consent (to Sexual Acts) by FeestoNOVA(m): 8:59pm On Jun 07, 2015
naptu2:

First let me ask you this is this the real bill that was passed or the quote from the criminal code that is already on ground? Two knowledge people that at least knows what is happening more than us(me and you) commented about this issue,Fani kayode and Mr. Patrick obahiagbon.i am not concerned about what they said but on the matter comment on..i am very sure this two won't just twist what the law says because they need attention..so please do a better findings and educate us better
Re: Chris Anyanwu's Bill Did Not Set 11 Years As The Age Of Consent (to Sexual Acts) by searay(m): 9:42pm On Jun 07, 2015
tabolaji:

It's people like you that leverage on headlines to spread rumour. Imagine!
You got it wrong. I didn't make any unnecessary comment but rather espected others who understood the post to dissect it for me.

Learn to be respectful, thanks
Re: Chris Anyanwu's Bill Did Not Set 11 Years As The Age Of Consent (to Sexual Acts) by GamaG(m): 10:51pm On Jun 07, 2015
if a girl of 13yrs rape a boy of 13, Wht will be d penalty?
Re: Chris Anyanwu's Bill Did Not Set 11 Years As The Age Of Consent (to Sexual Acts) by virginchaser(m): 11:50pm On Jun 07, 2015
Thanks for clarification.
Re: Chris Anyanwu's Bill Did Not Set 11 Years As The Age Of Consent (to Sexual Acts) by chiedu7: 1:47am On Jun 08, 2015
naptu2:

How come some abok1s dey marry 13 yr old then?
Re: Chris Anyanwu's Bill Did Not Set 11 Years As The Age Of Consent (to Sexual Acts) by millhouse: 7:58am On Jun 08, 2015
And which of the laws Don catch yerima ?
Re: Chris Anyanwu's Bill Did Not Set 11 Years As The Age Of Consent (to Sexual Acts) by Avalani(m): 8:16am On Jun 08, 2015
The important clause here is

"unlawful carnal knowledge of a girl under the age of thirteen years is guilty of a felony"

With the key word being

"unlawful"

Meaning there is a way to, and you can, have "lawful" carnal knowledge of a girl under the age of thirteen...

Simply put, if you have the money or influence, you can marry a 13 year old child and have lawful sex with her
Re: Chris Anyanwu's Bill Did Not Set 11 Years As The Age Of Consent (to Sexual Acts) by naptu2: 8:47am On Jun 08, 2015
Avalani:
The important clause here is

"unlawful carnal knowledge of a girl under the age of thirteen years is guilty of a felony"

With the key word being

"unlawful"

Meaning there is a way to, and you can, have "lawful" carnal knowledge of a girl under the age of thirteen...

Simply put, if you have the money or influence, you can marry a 13 year old child and have lawful sex with her

Sigh. Have you read section 43 (1c) and 43 (4f) to find out the meaning of "lawful"? Download the document and read. I only posted one page of a 47 page document. Please download it and read (it would also be helpful if you find out the meaning of statutory rape).

I guess there's no point.

1) Someone said that I didn't provide any links, despite the fact that there are links in my 2nd and 3rd posts.

2) Some are still insisting that the bill sets 11yrs as the age of consent. I wonder if they can cite the section of the bill that states that 11yrs is the age of consent.

3) Some said that the old law was written by feminists because the sections I posted only referred to girls. Those were just a few sections from a much longer bill! There are (of course) sections that also address the issue of sex with boys. That's why I provided a link to the act. Please click on it and read.

4) Someone also said that traditional marriage is compulsory. I wonder if the person can cite the law that makes it compulsory.

5) Someone said that there's one law for the rich and another for the poor. Well, unfortunately that's the way it is around the world. You can get away with almost anything if you have enough money to hire a good lawyer (ask O.J. Simpson).

6) Someone referred to the use of the word "penetration" in the sections that I posted. Download the full document and read about other "indecent acts" that are prohibited.

7) Someone asked if I posted the old law or the new law. I posted both the old law and the new law and I also posted links to both of them (see my second and third posts).

2 Likes

Re: Chris Anyanwu's Bill Did Not Set 11 Years As The Age Of Consent (to Sexual Acts) by witken89(m): 10:45am On Jun 08, 2015
URGENT EMPLOYMENT!!!
HIGHCLASS GROUP OF COMPANIES NIGERIA LTD.
is a new consultancy firm established in
Owerri, Imo State Nigeria and needs to urgently employ only qualified persons to fill up these urgent vacant positions in the company;
1) Manager
2) Database manager
3) Business development Officer(BDO)
4) Receptionist
5) Software Engineer.
6) System Analyst
7) Site Supervisor
cool system engineers (5)
9) Lab Technicians
10) Drivers
11) Logistics/Procurement Officer
12) Cook(s)
13) Human Resource Officer (HRO)
14) Senior manager
15) Accountant
16) Network Engineer
17) Office Assistant(s)
18) Sales manager

REQUIREMENTS.
Nce, Ond, Hnd, Bsc, Btech, Msc, Phd & at least a good SSCE result.
Please Note:
1)Candidates Must be resident in either Imo, Abia, Anambra, Ebonyi, Enugu, States or within any south south states.
How to Apply:
interested persons should send their CV
to highclassplc@gmail.com, PMB 3039, or send the following: full name,
educational qualification(s), current location,
e-mail address, gender, phone number to the company's Human Resource(HR) on
08101690007. Only successful candidates would be
shortlisted and invited for the interview.
NOTE:
1)The interview date would be
communicated to ONLY shortlisted candidates.
2) Application closes on the 15th of june 2015.
Re: Chris Anyanwu's Bill Did Not Set 11 Years As The Age Of Consent (to Sexual Acts) by free13: 11:43am On Jun 08, 2015
Ok, that good.
Re: Chris Anyanwu's Bill Did Not Set 11 Years As The Age Of Consent (to Sexual Acts) by Avalani(m): 6:31am On Jun 13, 2015
naptu2:

Sigh. Have you read section 43 (1c) and 43 (4f) to find out the meaning of "lawful"? Download the document and read. I only posted one page of a 47 page document. Please download it and read (it would also be helpful if you find out the meaning of statutory rape).

I guess there's no point.

1) Someone said that I didn't provide any links, despite the fact that there are links in my 2nd and 3rd posts.

2) Some are still insisting that the bill sets 11yrs as the age of consent. I wonder if they can cite the section of the bill that states that 11yrs is the age of consent.

3) Some said that the old law was written by feminists because the sections I posted only referred to girls. Those were just a few sections from a much longer bill! There are (of course) sections that also address the issue of sex with boys. That's why I provided a link to the act. Please click on it and read.

4) Someone also said that traditional marriage is compulsory. I wonder if the person can cite the law that makes it compulsory.

5) Someone said that there's one law for the rich and another for the poor. Well, unfortunately that's the way it is around the world. You can get away with almost anything if you have enough money to hire a good lawyer (ask O.J. Simpson).

6) Someone referred to the use of the word "penetration" in the sections that I posted. Download the full document and read about other "indecent acts" that are prohibited.

7) Someone asked if I posted the old law or the new law. I posted both the old law and the new law and I also posted links to both of them (see my second and third posts).

It's common sense, my brother
https://www.nairaland.com/2375504/wole-soyinkas-writes-sexual-offences
Re: Chris Anyanwu's Bill Did Not Set 11 Years As The Age Of Consent (to Sexual Acts) by naptu2: 7:02am On Jun 13, 2015
Avalani:

It's common sense, my brother
https://www.nairaland.com/2375504/wole-soyinkas-writes-sexual-offences

Exactly! It's common sense. Read this carefully and slowly.

https://www.nairaland.com/1370137/senate-denies-endorsing-child-marriage

Once again I ask you, can you show us any section of the act that states that 11 years is the age of consent?

I'll throw in a second question, can you also show us any part of the so called "Yerima amendment" that states that 11 years is the marriage age or the age of consent? (I hope you know what that section of the constitution is actually about)
Re: Chris Anyanwu's Bill Did Not Set 11 Years As The Age Of Consent (to Sexual Acts) by naptu2: 11:09am On Jun 15, 2015
Re: Chris Anyanwu's Bill Did Not Set 11 Years As The Age Of Consent (to Sexual Acts) by TRUTHTOPOWER: 12:30pm On Jun 15, 2015
bushdoc9919:

Have you ACTUALLY read the bill?

Isn't it clear enough that anyone molesting a minor is subject to life imprisonment?

Liable means that the person WILL be sentenced if proven guilty!

If you want to talk about enforcement...that is another thing!

Being Liable does not mean "Will". it means "committable" not all committable people are committed. being liable removes the element of strict liability for a breach. it gives room for a plea of "not guilty with explanation" The question is what is their to explain?!
Re: Chris Anyanwu's Bill Did Not Set 11 Years As The Age Of Consent (to Sexual Acts) by Nobody: 12:40pm On Jun 15, 2015
TRUTHTOPOWER:

Being Liable does not mean "Will". it means "committable" not all committable people are committed. being liable removes the element of strict liability for a breach. it gives room for a plea of "not guilty with explanation" The question is what is their to explain?!

Go read the law again.

It says anyone who molests a child under 18 shall be liable to imprisionment.

And, it fully defines what is meant by molestation.

Plus...for purposes of law....a child/minor cannot give legal consent to se...x.

It is that simple.

As for enforcement....that is another story.

P.S Here is Chris Anyanwu clarifying the law : https://blogs.premiumtimesng.com/?p=167863

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Eunice Atuejide Drops Out Of 2019 Presidential Race, Endorses Atiku Abubakar / Onnoghen's Exit Splits Supreme Court. / Supreme Court Upholds Samuel Ortom's Election As Benue Governor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.