Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,815 members, 7,806,288 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 02:07 PM

Engine Oil Wahala, Plz Advice - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Engine Oil Wahala, Plz Advice (3448 Views)

Why Does My Car Engine Oil Dry Up Without Physical Leakage / Why The Obsession With 20W50 Engine Oil? / What Type Of Engine Oil Do You Use In Your Car And How Much Is It? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Engine Oil Wahala, Plz Advice by ken4jj(m): 8:01am On Jun 08, 2015
Car gurus,

I have a car that the manual says change oil after 6000km or 3 months. I have used this car for 4 months but i have still not gotten to even 3000km. its still at 2500km. The oil i'm using is the recommended 5w30 oil i got from the US.

Should i keep using the car till i get to at least 3500km since the oil is original? Because i dont drive it everyday, it make even take till december to reach 3500km. Please i need advice.

Where can i get 5w30 grade oil in portharcourt and its environs?
Re: Engine Oil Wahala, Plz Advice by luvinhubby(m): 8:40am On Jun 08, 2015
The manual says either of the two so your oil is due for change.
Re: Engine Oil Wahala, Plz Advice by honmusa(m): 9:29am On Jun 08, 2015
ken4jj:
Car gurus,

I have a car that the manual says change oil after 6000km or 3 months. I have used this car for 4 months but i have still not gotten to even 3000km. its still at 2500km. The oil i'm using is the recommended 5w30 oil i got from the US.

Should i keep using the car till i get to at least 3500km since the oil is original? Because i dont drive it everyday, it make even take till december to reach 3500km. Please i need advice.

the clause it that u change ur oil whichever of the condition that u first exceed ,either the 3 month or the 6000 km mileage .
so your oil is due for change since u have exceeded the 3 month mileage.
U can always call autologic @ 08061166316 to place order for Lubex fully synthetic oil 4 litres and 7 litres respectively.
Delivery @ any location even to ur doorsteps @ location in nigeria.
call autologic @ 08061166316 for more info

Re: Engine Oil Wahala, Plz Advice by ken4jj(m): 9:41am On Jun 08, 2015
honmusa:

the clause it that u change ur oil whichever of the condition that u first exceed ,either the 3 month or the 6000 km mileage .
so your oil is due for change since u have exceeded the 3 month mileage.
U can always place online order 5 litres 5w30 Coastal synthetic blend and 7 litre 5w30 Lubex synthetic oil @ autologic from konga.com website @ 5,500 and 7,500 naira respectively
Delivery @ any location even to ur doorsteps @ location in nigeria.
call autologic @ 08061166316 for more info

Thanks, is the oil imported or manufactured in Nigeria?
Re: Engine Oil Wahala, Plz Advice by honmusa(m): 9:47am On Jun 08, 2015
ken4jj:

Thanks, is the oil imported or manufactured in Nigeria?
. Coastal oil is from US while Lubex is from Europe . I am yet to hear of any made in nigeria synthetic oil
Re: Engine Oil Wahala, Plz Advice by ken4jj(m): 10:03am On Jun 08, 2015
honmusa:
Coastal oil is from US while Lubex is from Europe .
I am yet to hear of any made in nigeria synthetic oil

Is 5w30 a synthethic or semi synthectic oil?What actually is the difference in the two types of oil? Please what of milemaster 5w30?
Re: Engine Oil Wahala, Plz Advice by honmusa(m): 10:37am On Jun 08, 2015
ken4jj:

Is 5w30 a synthethic or semi synthetic oil?What actually is the difference in the two types of oil? Please what of milemaster 5w30?
5w30 is either a synthetic Blend (mixture of crude oil and man-made oil from chemicals and other additives ) and fully synthetic (Man-made chemicals ).
Fully minerals oils are most 20w50 oil u see around (mobil xhp,oando ,Total classic etc ) .
5w30 Coastal oil,Castrol ,Durablend etc are example of synthetic blend while 5w30 (Lubex ,Milemaster,Mobil 1,Royal Purple etc ) are fully synthetic grade.
Synthetic oil gives more protection and advantages to your car than mineral oil .
http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2013/01/should-you-use-synthetic-oil-in-your-vehicle.html
Re: Engine Oil Wahala, Plz Advice by GAZZUZZ(m): 5:48pm On Jun 08, 2015
ken4jj:
Car gurus,

Get to 6000 miles before draining your oil. I want to belive the oil you bought is synthetic? I use synthetic for 1year in my vehicle if it has not reached the 6000mile mark

5 Likes

Re: Engine Oil Wahala, Plz Advice by dhemmyhardy(m): 9:58pm On Jun 08, 2015
mmhh! Enough been said on engine oil and types of engine oil
You can now get you full synthetic oil 5liter 5w 20, 5w30
Check by signature for contact we deliver round the country

Dhemmyhardy
Re: Engine Oil Wahala, Plz Advice by ken4jj(m): 10:23pm On Jun 08, 2015
GAZZUZZ:

Get to 6000 miles before draining your oil. I want to belive the oil you bought is synthetic? I use synthetic for 1year in my vehicle if it has not reached the 6000mile mark

i think it is semi synthetic. it is castrol 5w30 oil.
Re: Engine Oil Wahala, Plz Advice by abatically(m): 10:36pm On Jun 08, 2015
Castrol 5w30 synthetic blend would certainly go 6,000 miles. 2,500km is just about 1,550 miles which is nothing. I don't know what kind of car u drive but I have never seen a modern car where manufacturers recommend oil change every 3 months, I may be wrong though. Changing a synthetic oil every 3 months is a RIP OFF. I'd rather use conventional oil then. I use 5w20 on my car and change at about 4,500 miles (that's about 7,000km). Manufacturers reccomend 6,000 miles but I change at 4,500 miles just to be on a safer side. Driving conditions here with all the dust and traffic doesn't help.
Re: Engine Oil Wahala, Plz Advice by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:12am On Jun 09, 2015
ken4jj:

i think it is semi synthetic. it is castrol 5w30 oil.

Boss enjoy that oil till it gets to 6000miles.

1 Like

Re: Engine Oil Wahala, Plz Advice by Segzie8180: 9:25am On Jun 09, 2015
ken4jj:

Is 5w30 a synthethic or semi synthectic oil?What actually is the difference in the two types of oil? Please what of milemaster 5w30?

Synthetic oils are 100% chemically produced and they lighter in viscosity while semi synthetic oil is a blend of mineral oil (made from crude oil) and chemical content. The chemical content is more in semi synthetic oil than the conventional oil which is commonly called mineral oil and this makes the semi synthetic oil stronger than mineral oil but not as strong as full synthetic oil.
The synthetic oil is more preferable than the other two because of the technology advancement. Vehicle technology are advancing every year so also the engine oil specification to match the engine technology so as to achieve optimum performance.
Re: Engine Oil Wahala, Plz Advice by ken4jj(m): 10:42am On Jun 09, 2015
abatically:
Castrol 5w30 synthetic blend would certainly go 6,000 miles. 2,500km is just about 1,550 miles which is nothing. I don't know what kind of car u drive but I have never seen a modern car where manufacturers recommend oil change every 3 months, I may be wrong though. Changing a synthetic oil every 3 months is a RIP OFF. I'd rather use conventional oil then. I use 5w20 on my car and change at about 4,500 miles (that's about 7,000km). Manufacturers reccomend 6,000 miles but I change at 4,500 miles just to be on a safer side. Driving conditions here with all the dust and traffic doesn't help.

My only worry is the oil filter cos i don't know how original it is. maybe i should just change only the oil filter and get another 1000miles on the oil. What do you think?

1 Like

Re: Engine Oil Wahala, Plz Advice by shamecurls(m): 2:36pm On Jun 09, 2015
GAZZUZZ:

Thanks Boss for the clarification. I used mobil 1 to service my SUV and in the last 14 months have not covered 1500 miles.

Thanks again. I was almost flushing out
Re: Engine Oil Wahala, Plz Advice by honmusa(m): 3:51pm On Jun 09, 2015
shamecurls:

Thanks Boss for the clarification. I used mobil 1 to service my SUV and in the last 14 months have not covered 1500 miles.

Is not only about the mileage covered only ,u need also to consider the duration of usage Ie how long .12 month is still ok ,14 month is rather too long .
Re: Engine Oil Wahala, Plz Advice by GAZZUZZ(m): 4:09pm On Jun 09, 2015
shamecurls:

Get me clear o!

6-7k miles or 1year which ever comes first.

And do your engine some good by changing your filter after 3000miles.
Re: Engine Oil Wahala, Plz Advice by 7mentrouble(m): 2:49pm On Jun 10, 2015
can i top oil in my car so i can travel and in 2 weeks i will change it fully?
Re: Engine Oil Wahala, Plz Advice by honmusa(m): 7:42am On Jun 12, 2015
7mentrouble:
can i top oil in my car so i can travel and in 2 weeks i will change it fully?
Learn to supply detail background info for car gurus to give u better advice , unless den be winch grin
Re: Engine Oil Wahala, Plz Advice by disloman(m): 9:00am On Jun 12, 2015
D manufacturers consider a lot of factors b4 coming out with whatever instructions they give.Abatically made a point.U gat to consider d time spent at d traffic n dirts.That's y america specs av an advantage over those japanese cars.
Re: Engine Oil Wahala, Plz Advice by NumberOne2(m): 12:43am On Jun 14, 2015
Hmmm, don't cut corners when it comes to oil change if you want your car to last. Oil change 4 times a year is NOT too much.
Mileage may not do you justice as when a car idles in traffic for 2 hours, the mileage doesn't count. So it looks like the car hasn't move. You are 1 month over due. I have seen flashy cars smoking (blue) because of lack of oil change. cry
Re: Engine Oil Wahala, Plz Advice by abatically(m): 12:53am On Jun 14, 2015
Lmao at oil change 4 times a year. Do u drive a towing truck?
Re: Engine Oil Wahala, Plz Advice by NumberOne2(m): 1:16am On Jun 14, 2015
abatically:
Lmao at oil change 4 times a year. Do u drive a towing truck?

12 months (1 year) / 3 months (per change as instructed) = 4 times
Re: Engine Oil Wahala, Plz Advice by abatically(m): 11:00am On Jun 14, 2015
NumberOne2:

12 months (1 year) / 3 months (per change as instructed) = 4 times

And why do I have to change my oil every 3 months unless I tow a lot or use my car for interstate transport covering lots of miles withing these months.
Re: Engine Oil Wahala, Plz Advice by NumberOne2(m): 2:37am On Jun 15, 2015
abatically:

And why do I have to change my oil every 3 months unless I tow a lot or use my car for interstate transport covering lots of miles withing these months.

Interstate transporters I know change oil every 2 weeks. Most car manufacturer manual says 5,000 km or 3 months. Time or Distance. You seem to be looking only at distance. How about TIME spent in traffic?
Why would you want to keep oil in your engine more than 3 months? Cos of money or no time to change it?
We don't make cars in Nigeria, it will be wise to follow manufactures specs. They know best. They made the car.
Re: Engine Oil Wahala, Plz Advice by abatically(m): 5:41am On Jun 15, 2015
NumberOne2:

Interstate transporters I know change oil every 2 weeks. Most car manufacturer manual says 5,000 km or 3 months. Time or Distance. You seem to be looking only at distance. How about TIME spent in traffic?
Why would you want to keep oil in your engine more than 3 months? Cos of money or no time to change it?
We don't make cars in Nigeria, it will be wise to follow manufactures specs. They know best. They made the car.

The 3 months thingy is outdated bro. Show me a modern car that manufacturers reccomend oil change every 3 months provided u use recommended oil. I use synthetic oil for my engine. I do engine change every 4,500 miles even though Honda says 7,500 is OK. Mind u, 4,500 -5,000 miles equals 7,200km. So if I don't travel that distance in 3 months why should I waste money? Its 4,500 miles or at least 9 months whichever comes first.
Re: Engine Oil Wahala, Plz Advice by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:02am On Jun 15, 2015
abatically:

The 3 months thingy is outdated bro. Show me a modern car that manufacturers reccomend oil change every 3 months provided u use recommended oil. I use synthetic oil for my engine. I do engine change every 4,500 miles even though Honda says 7,500 is OK. Mind u, 4,500 -5,000 miles equals 7,200km. So if I don't travel that distance in 3 months why should I waste money? Its 4,500 miles or at least 9 months whichever comes first.
why the waste? Squeeze in at least 6k miles or 12months.
Re: Engine Oil Wahala, Plz Advice by adanny01(m): 6:21am On Jun 15, 2015
ken4jj:
Car gurus,

I am sure that the manual also specifies the type of oil.
Re: Engine Oil Wahala, Plz Advice by JUO(m): 7:12am On Jun 15, 2015
NumberOne2:

the manufacturer of the generators says service every 100hrs of usage. But why don't you service yours that way? You dey fine story
Re: Engine Oil Wahala, Plz Advice by abatically(m): 9:26am On Jun 15, 2015
GAZZUZZ:
why the waste? Squeeze in at least 6k miles or 12months.

I use semi synthetic bro. But next oil change I am going full synthetic and will squeeze 6k miles or one yr. Thanks bro.
Re: Engine Oil Wahala, Plz Advice by ken4jj(m): 10:47am On Jun 15, 2015
abatically:

I use semi synthetic bro. But next oil change I am going full synthetic and will squeeze 6k miles or one yr. Thanks bro.

What happens to your oil filter? will you use for the duration or will you change it alone?
Re: Engine Oil Wahala, Plz Advice by Kashif(m): 11:48am On Jun 15, 2015
ken4jj:

What happens to your oil filter? will you use for the duration or will you change it alone?

That's the question. I changed my full synthetic on Saturday after 9 months, and 5,300 miles on the clock. The filter was not looking very good. Mine is underneath so replacing just the filter na work.

(1) (2) (Reply)

RX330 Single Jerk When Accelerating After Coasting. / I Need A Nigeria Used Car Between The Range Of 450k To 550k / Car Repairs You Should Never Try To Do Yourself.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.