Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,989 members, 7,806,879 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:02 AM

Why Are Most Geologists Jobless In Nigeria - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Why Are Most Geologists Jobless In Nigeria (1395 Views)

1.7 Million Nigerians Became Jobless In Nine Months —NBS / 1.7 Million Nigerians Became Jobless In Nine Months / 4.58million Nigerians Became Jobless In Buhari's Administation - NBS Report (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Most Geologists Jobless In Nigeria by aIrbenIc(m): 11:33am On Jun 09, 2015
Can someone tell me why? Most Geologists I've met are jobless. Jobless in the sense that they do not work in the field of Geology. I hope I'm not taking a bad choice planning to study Geology. Are their some factors that make most Geologists unemployable? Help me out.
Re: Why Are Most Geologists Jobless In Nigeria by aIrbenIc(m): 1:58pm On Aug 13, 2015
No one to answer
Re: Why Are Most Geologists Jobless In Nigeria by niyogeol(m): 11:44pm On Aug 14, 2015
This is really a source of concern. What baffles me more is that there seems no hope for people who don't have MSc from UK (Imperial, Aberden, Leeds, Heriot Watt, Royal Holloway, UCL); Alberta, U of Texas et al in the IOCs(for those looking to pursue a career in oil and gas).

There is no much investment in the solid mineral sector, hence its little contribution to employing graduates of geology and geophysics.

Another factor I see as a stumbling block is the Geoscience curricula in Nigeria. It doesn't prepare one for the real life after school.

My advice to you is to follow your heart and not be discouraged by the present situation. If your passion lies in Geology, go ahead and study it. Also, note that unemployment is not limited to geoscience alone.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Most Geologists Jobless In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:17am On Aug 15, 2015
aIrbenIc:
Can someone tell me why? Most Geologists I've met are jobless. Jobless in the sense that they do not work in the field of Geology. I hope I'm not taking a bad choice planning to study Geology. Are their some factors that make most Geologists unemployable? Help me out.
...first prepare your mind for an MSc to even have any chance except you have an OgaAtTheTop ... most ppl study Geology in view of oil jobs .. if you are one of them .. Mech Engineering is a short cut ... Geoscience Jobs in this country ain't plenty ... if you want to study geology, only do so out of love ... cos afta school, the chances of using that cert is lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Why Are Most Geologists Jobless In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:12am On Aug 15, 2015
Bukky I need you for a clarification...seems you're a course advisor...
geobukky:

...first prepare your mind for an MSc to even have any chance except you have an OgaAtTheTop ... most ppl study Geology in view of oil jobs .. if you are one of them .. Mech Engineering is a short cut ... Geoscience Jobs in this country ain't plenty ... if you want to study geology, only do so out of love ... cos afta school, the chances of using that cert is lipsrsealed
Re: Why Are Most Geologists Jobless In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:18am On Aug 15, 2015
adeoti01:
Bukky I need you for a clarification...seems you're a course advisor...
Lol... Jes wat Eyez af seen in jobberland grin
Re: Why Are Most Geologists Jobless In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:03am On Aug 15, 2015
geobukky:
Lol... Jes wat Eyez af seen in jobberland grin
But I still need you in private tho... BTW...tnx for the #follow

1 Like

Re: Why Are Most Geologists Jobless In Nigeria by marqueetim(m): 2:08pm On Aug 15, 2015
was already about to type geobukky where are you, before I saw her comments. grin.
Re: Why Are Most Geologists Jobless In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:59pm On Aug 21, 2015
Am still a learner o grin grin grin
marqueetim:
was already about to type geobukky where are you, before I saw her comments. grin.
Re: Why Are Most Geologists Jobless In Nigeria by aIrbenIc(m): 3:23pm On Aug 23, 2015
Niyogeol and Geobukky Thanks very much.

(1) (Reply)

Building A Career In NDA / (ISC)2 Vs ITIL vs CISA / Npower Update – How To Know Your Status For Npower Nexit Training

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.