Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,922 members, 7,799,123 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 03:40 PM

Ban On Ogogoro Is Anti-cultural And A Bad Idea - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Ban On Ogogoro Is Anti-cultural And A Bad Idea (846 Views)

Arochukwu : Socio-cultural And Political System. / Ooni Ogunwusi Unveils Logo Of The Yoruba Cultural Carnival Worldwide / Cross Cultural Marriage:interesting Tweets From White Lady Married To A Nigerian (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ban On Ogogoro Is Anti-cultural And A Bad Idea by JuanDeDios: 3:58pm On Jun 09, 2015
There is a lot of culture woven around ogogoro in Nigeria. It is used for libation to appease the gods, for weddings, and in other cultural situations. How will people contact the ancestors now? Besides, the ban on ogogoro will only drive the trade underground and will give policemen another avenue to fleece people. The ban takes us right back to be colonial era when the authorities banned ogogoro.

People have been drinking ogogoro for centuries. It is badly brewed ogogoro that kills, just as badly cooked food may kill. What Nafdac should do is regulate the process of ogogoro production. Don’t ban ogogoro.

1 Like

Re: Ban On Ogogoro Is Anti-cultural And A Bad Idea by Nobody: 4:02pm On Jun 09, 2015
When the spirit of our ancestors need ogogoro, it is an opportunity for us to inform them that things have changed. They should upgrade to Henessy.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ban On Ogogoro Is Anti-cultural And A Bad Idea by JuanDeDios: 4:14pm On Jun 09, 2015
^^^ Not anytime soon. Show the gods some respect. Village folks ain't buying Hennessy.
Re: Ban On Ogogoro Is Anti-cultural And A Bad Idea by pussygotlips: 4:35pm On Jun 09, 2015
I feel you pain bro,
but there are other business to do apart from ogogoro

if only you will know the number of people this dry gin has rendered useless then you have i rethink.
Re: Ban On Ogogoro Is Anti-cultural And A Bad Idea by JuanDeDios: 4:50pm On Jun 09, 2015
pussygotlips:
I feel you pain bro,
but there are other business to do apart from ogogoro
if only you will know the number of people this dry gin has rendered useless then you have i rethink.

^^^ There was no need for the wisecrack - I don't sell ogogoro. I drank it but that was well over 20 years ago.

Now to your concern. Yes, used irresponsibly, alcohol - all alcohol - is harmful and has rendered people "useless", but since when has a ban solved any such problem? Go and read about the Prohibition era in the USA. I would oppose alcohol ban for the same reason I'm opposed to the criminalisation of marijuana and other drugs and the birthing of useless "war" that costs the world billions of dollars annually, whereas the drugs are still available for anyone to buy. But I'm sure the war on drugs makes sense to people like you who see things from one dimension, when it should be clear that the money is better spent on public health management for drug users.

I repeat: Banning ogogoro won't drive the stuff away; it will only drive it underground, just as it was in colonial era when they banned it. Those who sell it will not leave the business because there's suddenly more money in it.
Re: Ban On Ogogoro Is Anti-cultural And A Bad Idea by pussygotlips: 5:20pm On Jun 09, 2015
JuanDeDios:

^^^ There was no need for the wisecrack - I don't sell ogogoro. I drank it but that was well over 20 years ago.

Now to your concern. Yes, used irresponsibly, alcohol - all alcohol - is harmful and has rendered people "useless", but since when has a ban solved any such problem? Go and read about the Prohibition era in the USA. I would oppose alcohol ban for the same reason I'm opposed to the criminalisation of marijuana and other drugs and the birthing of useless "war" that costs the world billions of dollars annually, whereas the drugs are still available for anyone to buy. But I'm sure the war on drugs makes sense to people like you who see things from one dimension, when it should be clear that the money is better spent on public health management for drug users.

I repeat: Banning ogogoro won't drive the stuff away; it will only drive it underground, just as it was in colonial era when they banned it. Those who sell it will not leave the business because there's suddenly more money in it.
i understand you sir,
its just a personal opinion from my experience with dry gin,

as far as your a right thinking person i have no business whether you take it or not,however i think the government to restrict the sale in some public area.
Re: Ban On Ogogoro Is Anti-cultural And A Bad Idea by StarFlux: 7:12pm On Jun 09, 2015
There is no reason to ban ogogoro. Anything that is brewed by insufficient means and consumed too much of will eventully kill someone. It should be regulated though, so whoever chose to drink it can drink it safely.

Potential gold mine for anyone with the means.
Re: Ban On Ogogoro Is Anti-cultural And A Bad Idea by Joromi1: 7:29pm On Jun 09, 2015
Lol
Re: Ban On Ogogoro Is Anti-cultural And A Bad Idea by Nobody: 7:00am On Jun 10, 2015
If it was a foreign drink we would find a way to monitor/reguate it rather than ban. It is an indigenous drink and we hate our origins and heritage so we are quick to ban.
Re: Ban On Ogogoro Is Anti-cultural And A Bad Idea by Nobody: 10:15am On Jun 10, 2015
Let them try ban it in the south-south

(1) (Reply)

See What Emir Of Katsina Was Doing To A Paks Traffic Light In 1933 / 10 Reasons Nigerian Men Run From Marriage / By Fire By Force

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.