Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,842 members, 7,802,695 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 07:07 PM

Programmers' and Engineers' Analysis Of Apple - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Programmers' and Engineers' Analysis Of Apple (927 Views)

Nigeria’s Top Programmers And Developers As Ranked By Github 2016 / What Are The Best Laptops For Programmers And Hackers?! / Advanced Programmers And Engineers Group (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Programmers' and Engineers' Analysis Of Apple by AAinEqGuinea: 5:06pm On Jun 09, 2015
We're all fully aware of the general consumers insatiable appetite for Apple. The grandstanding innovation and earnings that make Apple. Is Apple waning in innovation?

I want to hear from fellow programmers. Your thoughts on Apple; where it's been and where it's at today in terms of if you were an Apple programmers at a kanban meeting your feedback on these upcoming proposals

Programmers assessing use cases, UI, reliability, innovation, feasibility, etc, etc.

I could care less about numbers about sales market share or anything their Marketing team boasts about, equally caring less about general consumer feedback and "fanboys".

1 Like

Re: Programmers' and Engineers' Analysis Of Apple by seunthomas: 10:03pm On Jun 09, 2015
Personally i think apple will soon start to go under. Right now they are leaders when it comes to product launch but apple is losing the most important attribute that made it relevant which is innovation. I use almost all their products and lets face it, they are not superior to android or windows in anyway. Apple just as a way about selling premium stuff. Their product design is world class but thats all apple is good at right now. Designing great looking products. Sorry to say if Jonny Ive leaves then they are finished.
Re: Programmers' and Engineers' Analysis Of Apple by Nobody: 10:07pm On Jun 09, 2015
Did I miss something? Are you talking about the Apple fruits? grin cool
Re: Programmers' and Engineers' Analysis Of Apple by AAinEqGuinea: 4:16pm On Jun 10, 2015
seunthomas:
Personally i think apple will soon start to go under. Right now they are leaders when it comes to product launch but apple is losing the most important attribute that made it relevant which is innovation. I use almost all their products and lets face it, they are not superior to android or windows in anyway. Apple just as a way about selling premium stuff. Their product design is world class but thats all apple is good at right now. Designing great looking products. Sorry to say if Jonny Ive leaves then they are finished.

Apple has once again repackaged a lot of cases from both Windows phone shocked and Android with the addition of marginally innovative cases like putting cut, copy, and paste shortcuts on the keyboard.

"Pinning" shortcuts has always been featured in IOS but Windows fully implemented this on desktops long before this function came to IOS. Live multitasking on mobiles has been a spotlighted case for the Windows surface for awhile now.

Apple now features a "migrate to IOS" feature for Android. Yas, very convenient... but I'd think Apple's everlasting arrogance would NOT allow them to advertise a service which assumes not everyone's not already an Apple customer. Lol. Stealing cases from Google and Windows plus using a service like "migrate to iOS" instead of innovation to lure them away is living proof that the legacy of Jobs has fully cleared from Apple pulse. It would be a cancer to me if I were an Apple engineer and told to mimic a case from a competitor. Yas, being stubborn is what got them to the top.

Apple Music? Lol!!! Like Spotify, Xbox music (which is the worst of them all), Pandora... and you have to pay for it (no free ad-based option) which is somehow the same as iTunes music... but I guess that service music was too free.

You can now draw on maps, and throw those doodles on the cloud. undecided

many tech blogs are touting these features as "game-changers"... please just end my life

Going back to the grave and revive the MacBook you killed which in many respects serves the purpose as MacBook air, energy efficient and portable... and Apple shocked can someone please destroy the apple watch and its os. I'm seeing people in the wild flicking their wrists just to show off that garbage invention. If you can make an iPod Nano years ago, the watch was not far off. Pinching your wrist to get maps directions is the dumbest thing I've every seen people as an attempt to be "modern"

all4naija:
Did I miss something? Are you talking about the Apple fruits? grin cool

The fruit is much more useful.

Their Mac software is reliable. I'd give them that. And, for once, the older iPads are and has been worthy of major releases instead of being antiquated and bricked after only a year.
Re: Programmers' and Engineers' Analysis Of Apple by AAinEqGuinea: 4:19pm On Jun 10, 2015
9to5Mac's "game changer's"

1. iPad Split-Screen Modes. If I had to pick just one new feature announcement as the biggest game-change at WWDC, it’s what Apple is calling Multitasking — a collection of three different ways to split an iPad’s screen into segments.

Slide Over: A 1/3-screen pane that gives you an elongated iPhone-like view of one app while the other continues to occupy the full screen behind it.

Picture in Picture: Continue to watch a video or make a FaceTime video call while you’re using another app, thanks to a movable, resizable window that can be placed anywhere on the screen.

Split View: Expand the Slide Over pane such that it takes over 1/3 or 1/2 of the screen, leaving the other 2/3 or 1/2 free for the formerly full-screen app. This is only supported on the iPad Air 2, for now.

There are three reasons this is so huge. First, it enables iPads (including iPad minis (!)) to finally start acting like Macs when you want to simultaneously do one thing while monitoring another, or reference one app while working on another. Second, it sets the stage for larger iPads, which would never have made sense with big but single-app displays. And third, Apple really got the UI right. The feature not only works without a conventional windowing system to divide a screen into multiple panes, but is easy to learn.

2. Proactive Assistant. I don’t know any iOS user who wasn’t (at least quietly) jealous of Google Now’s ability to help Android users plan their days — using information culled from emails and other data, evoking privacy concerns. By bulking up Spotlight search results with location data and information on your routine use of your device, Apple is trying to offer more and better information automatically without crossing into “creepy” territory. From my perspective, Proactive is a lot more limited than Google Now, but anything that makes iOS more useful without having to dig through apps is a plus. Ditto on seeing much-needed search improvements to Spotlight on the Mac.

3. watchOS 2 SDK: A More Capable Apple Watch. Partially because the Apple Watch segment of the WWDC keynote seemed like a speedreading exercise, none of the user-facing features Apple added in watchOS 2 really stood out as a game-changer. I’d personally be surprised if any of them convinced a hold-out to get off the fence. But third-party app support is huge, as it opens the door for the Watch to become useful across a million niches that will eventually attract millions of customers.

4. Performance and Battery Boosts. -4x Mac app improvements a “game-changer” might seem like a stretch, but Apple’s basically turning the key reasons people historically upgraded their hardware — speed and better battery life — into software improvements. For free. Who wouldn’t want a peppier, longer-lasting iPhone, or an iPad that can actually handle multitasking without killing its battery?

5. News. Missing from the early iOS 9 beta, the new News app has the potential to be a very big deal. There’s no question that Apple seriously messed up with Newsstand, crippling the feature within iOS 7 and 8, while ignoring publisher cries to properly support them. And cynical people may look at News as little more than an Apple effort to clone Flipboard, potentially monetizing third-party content in exchange for a nicer UI to navigate that content. But the UI is indeed gorgeous, and a lot of publishers will be willing to forget about Newsstand to give it a shot. If Apple pulls News off correctly, it could easily become a daily must-use alternative to RSS readers, Flipboard, and similar apps.

6. Notes. Notes doesn’t get a lot of attention, and it has barely been updated over the years, but it’s one of the very few apps I keep outside of a folder on my main Home screen for immediate access. Apple has seriously bulked it up in iOS 9, adding basic drawing and measurement tools, formatting and checklist tools, the ability to add multimedia content, and a 100% iCloud-based sync engine. Notes just went from “useful” to “crazy useful.”

7. Transit Maps. Again, it might seem like a stretch to call the addition of something arguably small — mass transit directions — a “game-changer,” but this was actually a huge omission from Apple Maps on the day it launched, and has limited its utility for huge numbers of people in major cities. The more cities Apple adds to Maps’ Transit feature, the more widely used the app is likely to become as an everyday point-to-point mapping solution.

8. Apple Music. A lot of people use Spotify and similar music subscription services, enough to have actually made a dent in music sales for both the industry and iTunes Store. I’m not going to tell you that I would sign up for Apple Music myself, or that I found the overall pitch to be compelling, but I haven’t signed up for any competing service either, and wouldn’t for $10 per month. Other people obviously feel otherwise, and having the feature integrated into iOS 9’s Music app, the iTunes Store, and the Apple TV is going to be a very big deal for them.

9. Apple’s New Keyboard Solutions, Including QuickType. This is a big deal that looks like a small deal, but fixing the messed up iOS 7/8 shift key by borrowing the “shift the entire keyboard” feature is a welcome change, and some of the briefly-mentioned iPad keyboard tweaks — support for accessory keyboard shortcuts and swipe-through-the-keyboard gestures — again hint at what Apple’s been planning for a more powerful iPad Pro. The changes mightn’t seem huge on the surface, but for a more Mac-like iPad, they have a lot of potential.

10. Safari Quality-Of-Life Improvements. From pinned tabs — being able to keep a Facebook tab perpetually active in the corner — to mute controls for increasingly obnoxious interrupting audio, to AirPlay-to-Apple TV video streaming directly from a Safari tab, Apple is bringing a ton of additional multitasking-like power to Safari. These little tweaks will make the overall browsing experience a lot better for people, and extend the power of web pages into your HDTV in a very Chromecast-like way.

1 Like

Re: Programmers' and Engineers' Analysis Of Apple by seunthomas: 7:07pm On Jun 10, 2015
@AAinEqGuinea You say OS X is reliable. I dont think you use a MAC. I have been using one for more than 3 years now and its not even Reli(not to talk of --able).
Re: Programmers' and Engineers' Analysis Of Apple by AAinEqGuinea: 5:29pm On Jun 11, 2015
seunthomas:
@AAinEqGuinea You say OS X is reliable. I dont think you use a MAC. I have been using one for more than 3 years now and its not even Reli(not to talk of --able).

Definitely used Mac products to dev for Mac, not anymore. That's a 2013 Air and 3rd Gen iPad, but definitely remember the "fat back" Macs

Don't get me wrong, I do like the current 5k iMac but thats it, every other Mac laptop or desktop is needlessly overpriced

(1) (Reply)

ASP.NET HELP!¡! Any Programmer Can Give Suggestion. / Lotto Game/system Developed For Window Users. / Help - I Forgot The Password Of A ZIP File I Passworded

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.