Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,412 members, 7,808,465 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:23 PM

How To Easily Learn Any Nigerian Language - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / How To Easily Learn Any Nigerian Language (4080 Views)

White Mass Choir Do Christmas Carol In Nigerian Language (video) / Faceboook Just Included First Nigerian Language Into Their Language Option (pic) / What Nigerian Language Is This (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Easily Learn Any Nigerian Language by Nobody: 7:38pm On Jun 09, 2015
I still disagree to believe that the ability to learn a new language differs from individual to individual. I don't think some are gifted to learn a new language more than others. It all depends on determination and individual approach to learning a new language.
Here i’m going to highlight some factors and steps that would enable you learn any language quick and easily. These factors is what contributed to what we see as the difference in ability to learn a new language.

1. Be determined
Just like the saying “Determination leads to success”, in learning a new language, you just have to say to yourself that “you really want to learn this language” and assure yourself that you really want to.

2. Make friends and hang around with a native speaker
You must have at least a friend who is a native speaker
This is someone you can channel all your questions to. Note that not everyone knows how to teach a language. So you just have to know how to learn the language and that’s what I’m about to show you. If the teacher does not know the technique, bring out the technique from him.

3. Appreciate the language, the people and their culture
You must appreciate the language, people and culture. You must take away every tribal sentiment before you can learn any language with ease. I don't know why but this works like magic

4. Don’t be aggressive
You must have said “Back to sender” or have seen someone say so when people speak to you what they don’t understand in their own language. Even if you feel they are talking about you, just stay there, listen and smile. Pick words while they discuss. Cram them and note how they are used and words they are used with. If possible, go back and write them down.
I bet you when you encounter same word up to 3 times, you will rightly guess its meaning without anyone telling you.

5. Watch movies and listen to music in your chosen language
You will likely see such movies with subtitles in English. Remember, your major aim is not to understand the movie but to learn the language used. So know your focus.

6. Listen to music and read books(if any)
Try to know the lyrics of the music in your chosen language, know the exact pronunciation of words and their meanings. How do you do that? Ask!

7. Thanks to google translate! grin
This tool was very useful for me while learning some of the Nigerian languages. Currently, there are just 3 Nigerian languages (Hausa, Igbo and Yoruba) in google translate. Note: there are errors in google translate, especially when trying to translate long sentences. In that case, google translate would be very useful for one-word translation or at most short sentences.

8. Know the language structure
Above all, you must aim at knowing the language structure. Once you are done with that, every other thing comes naturally. Don’t go about (like some people do) learning unnecessary sentences (like Will you marry me?, You are so beautiful, etc). Try not to be faster than your shadow; don't skip steps. If you do so, you will end up knowing the sentence but not the structure of the language. It is good to start with greetings because when you greet in a language, you are likely going to get response in same language.
Use these steps to learn a language structure:
a. Learn greetings
b. Learn Body Parts
c. Learn Pronouns
d. Common Nouns (Woman, Boy, Girl, Daughter, Brother, etc)
e. Learn Verbs (Give yourself a task to learn and memorize least 5 verbs per day)
f. Learn word formation (Most nouns/adjectives are formed from verbs in most local languages)
In Yoruba, Praise (v) = yin; Praise (adj) = iyin (notice the addition of “i”)
g. Learn tenses (Future and Past)
h. Understand negations (E.g. of negations: Hausa = ba, Igbo = ghi, Yoruba = ko, Efik = ke)

9. Use Pidgin – Local language in lieu of English – Local language
This sounds weird but it works like magic. This works because pidgin English took the form of our local languages this is one of the reason an average Nigerian can learn pidgin easily than English. Let’s see a proof that Pidgin and our local language has same structure.

Gini na ku? (Igbo)
Meaning:
Wetin dey nak? (Literal Pidgin) - Correct in both literal translation and actual meaning
What is striking? (Literal English) - correct in literal translation but wrong in actual meaning
The actual meaning of "Gini na ku" in English is "What is the time".

10. Always attempt to translate names in the chosen language to English (Pidgin preferable)
When you do so, do that literally. Some people are not good interpreters or i will say they translate to their own convenience. Avoid such people or insist on a literal translation by breaking name to individual words.

Eg. Aniekanabasi – Who is greater than God? (Good translation from Efik)
None is greater than God (Same meaning but poor translation)
Nnamdi - My Father exists (Good translation)
- My God exists (Poor translation – Here the person assumes his father as God)

11. Note the tone and pronunciations in the language
Every language has a tone and way of pronunciation. There might be consonants in your target language which does not exist in your native language – try deal with that.
For example the presence of /ng/, and the absence of /dz/, /l/ and /z/ sound in Efik. The Efiks contract consonants like /k/, /t/, /p/ making “Ikot” sound like “Ikod”; “dep” sound like “deb”. They also pronounce /d/ (appearing between letters) to seem as /r/.
Yorubas pronounce /a/ as /or/ as in “kan”, “lobatan” grin , etc
For me, i don’t bother much about the tone of a language for i have been speaking English language for decades yet have no plans of trying to speak like the British or the Americans. If you can’t grasp the tone, it's nothing to kill yourself about. After all, your aim is to communicate.

12. Don’t be scared of making mistakes
Of course, we learn from our mistakes. Don’t be shy of making mistakes.

13. Practice makes perfect
On your own, in your closet, try as much as possible to speak the language, make sentences, repeat or even sing new words you have learnt.

P.S:
Currently, I can speak and write 5 Nigeria languages(including the most common 3); I can as well understand 2 others to some extent making it a total of 8 Nigerian Languages I understand.
I have got some learning books, Audio lessons, Bible and dictionaries in some of the common Nigerian languages. Interested? PM me! No fear na free grin
P.P.S:
Don’t ask me which am I cos i’m a Nigerian

SAY NO TO TRIBALISM

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Easily Learn Any Nigerian Language by Domworld: 12:25pm On Jul 25, 2017
Can you help me with the list if materials you found helpful in learning igbo

1 Like

Re: How To Easily Learn Any Nigerian Language by kinglexftw69: 7:53pm On Apr 06, 2018
I would love to learn Tiv language
Re: How To Easily Learn Any Nigerian Language by Whyke141: 4:44pm On Apr 08, 2018
WE REJECT! Yes We Do!

We reject this brouhaha we throw ourselves into regarding the classification of skin colour... We aren't Black for fun!

We reject the diversification of ill-thoughts due to our colour... Our colour doesn't affect our thoughts, stop it!

Brenda's rejecting, so is Whyke. We reject the chain of hatred we bundle our self into.

Are you also rejecting? Do share your thoughts here���
http://www.whykeanthology.com/2018/04/i-reject.html

(1) (Reply)

Why Is Everything Bad Termed BLACK? / Owa Ajero Of Ijero Kingdom Visit Oni Of Ife(photo) / Facts About Benin Origin Of Ikwerre Tribe

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.