Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,322 members, 7,808,081 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:54 AM

Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm - Agriculture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm (106893 Views)

Photos Of My Snail Farm In Edo State / The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) / Snail Farm Begins - The Birth Of A Farm (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by gostartit(m): 10:47pm On Jun 27, 2015
Some years back I had some snails, ten to be precise that I brought from the market.
I reared them for sometime and later ate them, they loved pawpaw peels and it really made them grow in meat size in a short time but had no effect on the shell.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by israelotics: 11:16pm On Jun 27, 2015
Hi,i see you had some works done but pls how do you go about you hatchery
Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by Neduzze5(m): 3:21pm On Jun 29, 2015
gostartit:
Some years back I had some snails, ten to be precise that I brought from the market.
I reared them for sometime and later ate them, they loved pawpaw peels and it really made them grow in meat size in a short time but had no effect on the shell.

They equally love watermelon soo much.

1 Like

Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by Neduzze5(m): 3:22pm On Jun 29, 2015
israelotics:
Hi,i see you had some works done but pls how do you go about you hatchery

Any eggs that are laid by the snails, I take them out from the pen and place them in another "pen" then I cover them with sand, loamy soil to be precise and wet them a little every day.
Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by Neduzze5(m): 3:30pm On Jun 29, 2015
Pics of my new hatchery

1 Like

Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by Soloxam(m): 3:59pm On Jun 29, 2015
Neduzze5:
Pics of my new hatchery
well done boss.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by Neduzze5(m): 5:01pm On Jun 29, 2015
Soloxam:
well done boss.

Thank you very much sir. Technisem is a very good seed company ooh. I was there today and complained about the watermelon. They said I should bring the pack if I still have it that they would change it for me.

That's a very beautiful customer service from you guys. I bought cabbage and carrot seeds though. I hope they germinate
Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by kunlesufyan(m): 9:11pm On Jun 29, 2015
Neduzze5:
Pics of my new hatchery
Nice one ....wetin your snail s dey chop pass?
Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by Atk1nson(m): 9:57pm On Jun 29, 2015
Neduzze5:
Alright... I was supposed to move my new peeps to their permanent site yesterday but I was quite busy so I shifted it to today.

I counted them today. In all, they are about 114! Just from my house alone! Beautiful number
does tiny snails, do dey ever grow big? I think dat's dere size as per specie

1 Like

Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by Neduzze5(m): 10:48pm On Jun 29, 2015
kunlesufyan:

Nice one ....wetin your snail s dey chop pass?

Watermelon and cabbage

1 Like

Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by Neduzze5(m): 10:49pm On Jun 29, 2015
Atk1nson:

does tiny snails, do dey ever grow big? I think dat's dere size as per specie

Yeah they do grow big to be like others but it takes a lot of time, from a year and for them to become quite up to table size.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by Neduzze5(m): 6:53am On Jul 04, 2015
These snails have been laying eggs like say tomorrow no dey!!

I hope they hatch.... By next week, some of them should be hatching

2 Likes

Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by Neduzze5(m): 8:03am On Jul 04, 2015
How to artificially hatch your eggs

Get a bucket
Pour some loamy soil to a sizeable size
Place your eggs a little bit far from each other in the bucket
Cover them a little bit shallowly with some soil
Sprinkle water on them every morning
You can cover the bucket with plantain leaves
Keep it away from you much sunlight or too much rain water

3 Likes

Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by nikaShow(m): 2:26pm On Jul 04, 2015
Neduzze, you have inspired me! I've cleared a little space for a small snail something like this in my backyard. I'll post pictures soon.

Let's do this! Do You buy the watermelon? Me I don't want to incure expenses for this 'passive' venture.

1 Like

Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by Neduzze5(m): 4:03pm On Jul 04, 2015
nikaShow:
Neduzze, you have inspired me! I've cleared a little space for a small snail something like this in my backyard. I'll post pictures soon.

Let's do this! Do You buy the watermelon? Me I don't want to incure expenses for this 'passive' venture.

Lolz... The first one I served them, I bought it. The second time, I went to these aboki men selling it and asked them to give me those ones that are too soft and nobody would buy. They gave it to me for free.

4 Likes

Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by Neduzze5(m): 4:04pm On Jul 04, 2015
My eggs would soon hatch!! cheesy
Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by adeblow(m): 1:35am On Jul 05, 2015
I have a lot of snails in my surrounding can I pick them and rear them, pls advice needed.
Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by Neduzze5(m): 5:20am On Jul 05, 2015
adeblow:
I have a lot of snails in my surrounding can I pick them and rear them, pls advice needed.

Yes, that was how I started. If you have bad tyres around you, you can make use of them
Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by Neduzze5(m): 6:25pm On Jul 05, 2015
Saturday 04 July 2015

Newly laid eggs.

These eggs are very tiny. I really hope they would hatch

1 Like

Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by Neduzze5(m): 6:29pm On Jul 05, 2015
Saturday 05

Snails after I washed and cleaned their pen

Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by Neduzze5(m): 10:05am On Jul 06, 2015
Just coming in from the farm... Six new eggs today!!

God is good!!
Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by Neduzze5(m): 10:09am On Jul 06, 2015
My newly hatched snails!!

6 Likes

Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by Neduzze5(m): 3:53pm On Jul 06, 2015
These are the adult ones laying all the eggs.

1 Like

Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by IlekeHD: 9:51pm On Jul 06, 2015
Ekiti is the best place to catch snails. Every morning, I caught a bucket of snails in our farm last summer.

Happy days smiley
Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by Dollyak(f): 9:55pm On Jul 06, 2015
Neduzze5:

Lolz @ Mortal Kombat cheesy

Thanks boss for the encouragement. It's better you start from the little you have. If the need be to purchase, then fine. There's a reason why they are called natural resources.....
Respect to you. I love your positive attitude.

1 Like

Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by PaulSteve: 10:03pm On Jul 06, 2015
Nice job,lovely. We need more of these to help people realize potentials around them and harness. BTW,hope snail farms don't invite snakes abi?
Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by izzieman: 10:10pm On Jul 06, 2015
freelife4all:
That's good bro, nice work, but don't you think that the paint bucket is the small for that quantity(more that 100 snails). With that quantity in that small bucket there will be no space for the to move around, so i will advice you to prepare a more comfortable place for them. I started my own snail farm on the first of june, they are doing fine as well, although i fine it difficult to get most of the things they eat.

Kudos on your entrepreneurial spirit. Quick advice - The use of a paint bucket is not very healthy for the snails and even if does not affect them, they may have chemicals in them that will get passed on to your eventual consumers. When you farm, always consider the effect of your production on your market.

I hope you do not take my criticism the wrong way. Globally, the trend is towards organic food production with no chemicals. If your business grows and you start to export, you will find that naturally grown food fetches a premium on the world market. Good luck and may your business grow beyond your dreams.

Please ponder!

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by dangerous01(m): 10:15pm On Jul 06, 2015
See the small thing wey u dy imprison. Human being why are you so so heartless do you knw how many snails fammily u ve destroy with that ur bleeping trap
Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by Lilyomi(f): 10:17pm On Jul 06, 2015
I like da fact dat is nw educative topics hittim da fp.

4 Likes

Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by heykims(m): 10:28pm On Jul 06, 2015
Neduzze5:

Yeah they do grow big to be like others but it takes a lot of time, from a year and for them to become quite up to table size.
Really, but how do the small shells give way for the increasing size?
Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by clevadani: 10:29pm On Jul 06, 2015
I also started my snail farm about 2wks back. But I have just 5 snails. Don't know where to get snails from

1 Like

Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by Roughfyzay(m): 10:31pm On Jul 06, 2015
Nice one my brother. grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

General Market/food Price ( weekly Update ) / How Do I Start Snail Rearing? / Maize Farming Startup

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.