Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,810 members, 7,802,595 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:58 PM

Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm - Agriculture (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm (106795 Views)

Photos Of My Snail Farm In Edo State / The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) / Snail Farm Begins - The Birth Of A Farm (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by oluwachris(f): 11:43pm On Nov 25, 2015
Neduzze5:

Snails are nocturnal animals i.e, they are active during the late evening hours through till early morning hours.

Then they sleep during the afternoon hours.

Your snails are climbing up looking for where to hide
Hi, am new on nairaland nd also new on snailery. i want to know if its very ok for them to be climing up?
Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by Neduzze5(m): 12:30pm On Nov 26, 2015
oluwachris:

Hi, am new on nairaland nd also new on snailery. i want to know if its very ok for them to be climing up?

Yes hunnie, snails love moving around so if their housing is too confined, they climb up.

Though at times, they climb up in order to find shade
Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by JUADO: 3:23pm On Nov 26, 2015
thymm50:
I need the Achatina achatina species of snail. Where can I get it please. I just built an extension of my farm and I want to stock it with this specie. Heard they can lay up to 100 eggs in one batch, please anybody that has a link to a farmer that can supply me should please contact me with thymm50@gmail.com
Thanks a lot

Please am equally interested in Achatina Achatina species, if there are contacts out there please kindly mail me on jadoghe@gmail.com. Thanks
Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by Nobody: 12:12am On Dec 05, 2015
Neduzze5:

Yes hunnie, snails love moving around so if their housing is too confined, they climb up.

hey neddy,this is saklek,I lost my phone,but I want u to re-add me to the member through here +27626956339
Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by kexpan(m): 11:18am On Dec 17, 2015
ZianaJordana:

I find snails gross, but also scary. It brings me back memories of walking down the street, and accidently stepping on one at night, all I heard was "crunch!". It also reminds of one of the gardens in my old school I went to when I was younger that was infested in them, and the giant slugs that used to come out when it would rain when I was at my aunts old house, in her front garden I would have to dodge them when leaving at night. Oh, god. It was horrible. There's something scary, almost supernatural, and extraterrestrial-looking about them, and the way the slime around. I have a handful of childhood memories of my bad experience with them as you can see. I'm from the UK, and as it rains quite a bit, they come out quite a lot. A lot of people in the UK don't like snails, and view them as pests as they sometimes ruin their garden flowers. We've had to put poisoners down in the past. And I'm assuming you're in Nigeria, and some of those are African snails, 'cause some of those snails are the biggest I've ever seen!

Nigeria is not UK. so is China and Japan that have their own preference of food. Your story itself sound scary. There are European farmers that grow snails for export.

2 Likes

Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by Seun(m): 6:22pm On Dec 25, 2015
Tonybills:
now i was told to fry the soil i want to use in their house to avoid earthworms and insect entering inside.
I think earthworms are good. They don't compete with snails for food and don't reproduce aggressively. They'll only eat the snail droppings.
Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by Patook1: 1:36pm On Jan 23, 2016
Pls add me to your Snail Farmers WhatsApp group. My no. is 08184882081. I just started a small farm of about 150 snails in a garden behind my house and would be happy to share and exchange experiences. My small friends appear to be doing fine so far.
Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by bilaal29: 6:44am On Mar 28, 2016
Neduzze5:

Good day won't the weight of the snail later affect the net in your cage as they climb up
Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by gechyy2(f): 8:33pm On Apr 22, 2016
Very educative I must say learnt a lot a d have actually penned down a lot... Please can I be added to snail farmers watsapp.. 08091332894
Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by Candyaib17(f): 7:44am On May 25, 2016
Hello Neduzze5,

I came across this thread yesterday I must say you got me back into my positive attitude cos I only see article on how to start in a big way. I will start mine in three months time because I will be doing a lot of traveling for now.

Quick question please,
How do you clean your pen and do you also change the soil after each cleaning.

I will also love to see how your boys (snails) are faring, pics will be highly appreciated.

Here is my number 07030405463 pls add me up. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by Neduzze5(m): 2:01pm On May 25, 2016
Patook1:
Pls add me to your Snail Farmers WhatsApp group. My no. is 08184882081. I just started a small farm of about 150 snails in a garden behind my house and would be happy to share and exchange experiences. My small friends appear to be doing fine so far.

Greetings Sir,

Nice to hear about your small beginning. You even started larger than me and that's the idea behind this thread. How far with your progress so far?
Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by Neduzze5(m): 2:03pm On May 25, 2016
bilaal29:

Good day won't the weight of the snail later affect the net in your cage as they climb up

No it won't but a picture of your cage would help me advice you better.

How has the progress been so far?
Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by Neduzze5(m): 2:04pm On May 25, 2016
gechyy2:
Very educative I must say learnt a lot a d have actually penned down a lot... Please can I be added to snail farmers watsapp.. 08091332894

Penning down without planning to start as soon as possible is a sin, hope you know?

I hope you've started now?
Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by Neduzze5(m): 2:12pm On May 25, 2016
Candyaib17:
Hello Neduzze5,

I came across this thread yesterday I must you got me back into my positive attitude cos I only see article on how to start in a big way. I will start mine in three months time because I will be doing a lot of traveling for now.

One quick question please,
How to you clean your pen and do you also change the soil after each cleaning.

I will also love to see have your boys (snails) are faring, pics will be highly appreciated.

Here is my number ************** pls add me up. Thanks

Hello Candyaib17,

I'm happy that this thread has rejuvenated your interest in snail farming.... Snails need a little iota of attention for small scale farmers like us and probably once in three months kind of attention for bigger scale farmers especially those that are into extensive system of farming.

How I clean my pen?
I do that once in a month or twice. I get a paint bucket and fill it halfway with water, then I pick out all the snails and put them inside. After that, I clear out the soil.
I then replace this with new sieved soil.

No pictures for now... I'm on a low key mode until further notice.

Thank you for reading thru.

1 Like

Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by bodieb2005(m): 4:41pm On May 25, 2016
For all your Agric Equipments both refurbished and new :

http://www.bjtttrading.com/

all at reasonable prices including delivery to your doorsteps anywhere in Africa and after sales maintenance
Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by Adeyinka1758(m): 9:02pm On May 25, 2016
I really lyk this thread, Mr Nebuzz continue the good work sir...

Am planning to join soon tho'
Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by Neduzze5(m): 4:08am On May 26, 2016
Adeyinka1758:
I really lyk this thread, Mr Nebuzz continue the good work sir...

Am planning to join soon tho'

Hello Adeyinka1758

Thanks for showing interest. It's good to hear you intend to start soon... Whatever you need, be sure to contact me here on this thread. Thank you!!
Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by Adeyinka1758(m): 7:38am On May 26, 2016
Neduzze5:

Hello Adeyinka1758

Thanks for showing interest. It's good to hear you intend to start soon... Whatever you need, be sure to contact me here on this thread. Thank you!!
Thanks, As Soon as possible...
Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by Candyaib17(f): 9:36am On May 26, 2016
Neduzze5:

Hello Candyaib17,
I'm happy that this thread has rejuvenated your interest in snail farming.... Snails need a little iota of attention for small scale farmers like us and probably once in three months kind of attention for bigger scale farmers especially those that are into extensive system of farming.
How I clean my pen?
I do that once in a month or twice. I get a paint bucket and fill it halfway with water, then I pick out all the snails and put them inside. After that, I clear out the soil.
I then replace this with new sieved soil.
No pictures for now... I'm on a low key mode until further notice.
Thank you for reading thru.

Thanks for replying, hope to see your snails improvement soon.
Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by onyehi: 4:23pm On Jun 07, 2016
am motivated . searching for snail to start up. pls add me up to ur group. 07030561951 thanks
Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by marissanutri(f): 1:55pm On Jun 18, 2016
Hi,
Interested snails buyers, cheap large snails for sale.. individuals, breeders, resellers, hotels, resturants. call / sms me on 08073246507.
Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by Vidia: 1:59am On Jun 26, 2016
Hi I just started reading snails and noticed some egs have been laid,I separated them but the haven't hatched and it's been over a month. Pls what do I do to make the eggs hatch. Thanks
Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by BAZETU12: 8:12pm On Jul 01, 2016
I just start my snails farming just one month ago I have smallest size 300 pics Medium size 120 pics Bigger size 36 pics Am farming it with paw paw, watermelon, and cucumber? For the calcium Am using egg shell to feed my snail
Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by amadasunfarm(m): 3:59am On Jul 02, 2016
Please I want to start small like with NGN 100,000 I have one aboutdont poultry and one aboutdont fish ponds in small part of my house with sand close to the fence. What do I do to get the pen up? and it is in Benin city
Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by BAZETU12: 7:24pm On Jul 11, 2016
contact me for baby snail,I have 500 pics for sell 09093487198
Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by bukkyphebe: 3:42pm On Jul 17, 2016
hello pls I need archatina archatina snail to rear,how much ll u supply 100 pieces
Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by hob200: 10:13am On Jul 19, 2016
Hello Mr Ndubuzee nice thread so happy u did this. I started micro snail farming too and would like to join ur what app group if u still on please . Thanks so much really appreciate.
Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by hob200: 10:15am On Jul 19, 2016
Sorry my email is hauwau200@gmail.com kindly email me so I send u my no. Thanks.
Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by BAZETU12: 5:03pm On Jul 19, 2016
Add me to the group bazetu 08094798518
Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by Jswart: 7:36pm On Jul 24, 2016
I'm glad to find this thread. I've been interested in snail farming for long but didn't know how to start. Can I be added to the whatsapp group as well. I will like to start off with a plastic vat. I'm a fish farmer I will add snails as well. I also love watching snails I like their calm nature. Thank you. My number is 08083337656
Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by Brinxs(m): 10:53pm On Jul 27, 2016
My name is Brinx n I'm looking for point-of-lay maginata snails to begin with...please add me to your group. 08113201132. thanks

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

General Market/food Price ( weekly Update ) / How Do I Start Snail Rearing? / Maize Farming Startup

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.