Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,810 members, 7,802,596 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 05:00 PM

In The Service Of Father Land. (A Corpers Detailed Camp Experience) - NYSC (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / In The Service Of Father Land. (A Corpers Detailed Camp Experience) (6585 Views)

Ebonyi Corper Shares His Orientation Camp Experience – A Corper’s Tale / 2016 Batch A Corpers: Things You Must Take Along To NYSC Camp To Avoid Stress / A Corpers Personal Charity Foundation Project (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: In The Service Of Father Land. (A Corpers Detailed Camp Experience) by Nobody: 4:02pm On Jul 11, 2015
""Have you ever been in this kind of situation before? Where someone will start chorusing sorry to you after the deed has already been done. My tea was there flowing freely on the floor and this guy was here telling me sorry. I didn't even bother to look at him and I told him to go. "Sorry" is among the words that should be removed from the dictionary""
bros, you are too much and highly gifted in narrative writing.

1 Like

Re: In The Service Of Father Land. (A Corpers Detailed Camp Experience) by kachiz(m): 8:33am On Jul 12, 2015
‪#‎Day17‬ #18/06/2015
Why do we always have to wake up against our wish, why do we always have to wake up when we don't want to. Why does the best things in life gets to be regulated. Sometimes, I wish I could sleep and wake up in the year 2094.

There was no jogging or trekking today again. Earlier this week an SSS officer that loves showing himself shot at a woman's car, they said the woman refused to stop on the officers order. So he shot three of the woman's tires. It seems that was what led to the security threats that the officials have been saying. The locals have plans on retaliating. They want to bite back at finger that bit them, even though the toes mistakenly gets involved.

This man that loves making us do unimaginable stuffs came at it again. First platoon 8 and 9 frog jumped. Then he asked us to start praying like we were Muslims. After being in that position for some long minutes, he now asked us to walk on all fours with our head on the ground.
Can you imagine?

All of us are now being careful. Tgese guys are now tackling us more. We've heard rumours about guys that were decamped.
Some two guys were caught in the afternoon. No tags. No Id. Ghost corpers that probably came to unleash hell here. I don't know what later became of them.
Most beautiful girl and Mr. Hulk competitions happened. Partial judges were there, so they did what they know best. We didn't see any position today.
‪#‎NYSC‬ CampExperience

2 Likes

Re: In The Service Of Father Land. (A Corpers Detailed Camp Experience) by kachiz(m): 7:15pm On Jul 13, 2015
We were in the hostel chatting, maybe you wouldn't call it chatting because basically our voices could be heard from far away Mogadishu and Kampala. Guys with so much stored up testosterone don't speak in hushed tones. Never!

Then this guy walked in with a stick into our room. The first thing I saw was his army pants. I looked at him and continued with what I was saying. Between the hours of 1400 to 1550 was for our rest, so I didn't think we were breaking any law at that moment.

He walked slowly towards our position and as he got closer, I saw :ohis face. I haven't seen him before, he was new in this camp. He had a pale disillusioned face, maybe he was among the soldiers who had witnessed first hand of man's inhumanity to man in the battle with Boko Haram, maybe he has experienced what the horrors of war looks like or maybe he has lost a very close buddy that was dear to his heart in this same battle.
I was still wallowing in my thoughts when he screamed like he was the Sindell of Mortal Kombat.

"Bepour I count to three, all up you should go outside and go down flat"
"1......2........ we ran like hell! We ran without looking back and found ourselves on the ground. There was gravel scattered all over the ground. Some of us weren't even putting on shirts. It hurt embarassed!

I have always known me cool cool to be someone who wasn't allergic to anything or maybe I have not yet found something I was allergic to.

As I lay on that ground with the pains, I felt the air passing through my nostrils into my body thin out each time I breathed in. I was gradually choking.

Where was all the air?
Has the government privatized oxygen?

As I forced myself to breath, my throat started swelling from the inside.
What was happening to me?

One of the guys that lay there with us, seeing me in my agony stood up and tried to help me out. The soldier now rushed towards our direction and kicked "my knight in shinning armor" and he lost his balance, fell face front to the ground and writhed in pains as he clutched his broken knee in his hands. My condition wasn't still getting any better.
I managed and stood up. The soldier took a glance at me and turned away.

I stood up and ran towards the Mami-market. I know Living things needed air to survive and I was gradually loosing all the one I had. The last time I checked it wasn't for sell but I had a strong belief that I will find help when I get there.
I ran and continued running.

The Mami-market was now closer. I approached the first woman and made an "I am thirsty" gesture with my hand, she brought out her hand and also made a "give me your money" gesture. I wasn't with any money, so she refused to sell to me. The second woman thought I wanted to make joke of her business and she also refused to sell to me undecided.
I used my last strength to get to this place. I was already exhausted and gradually slipping away into oblivion before I saw the third woman. She held water in her hands and rushed towards my direction.
Help was now on the way but maybe it was too late. I staggered front a bit and fell down backwards to the ground.

As I lay there on the ground, I could feel the emptiness. My mind now moved in circles around a large mass of cloud. I was slipping away. After I fell, some corp members gathered round me and instead of calling for help, they brought out their phones and started taking pictures of me. They wanted to be the first person to report the news about a fallen corp member. It was that bad.

Then I felt a quick pain on my back, which was followed by another.
Then I heard "Mumu boy, you will not wake up now. These soldiers will soon start chasing".
It was my bunk mate.
Then I woke up.
cool grin cool grin smiley

4 Likes

Re: In The Service Of Father Land. (A Corpers Detailed Camp Experience) by kachiz(m): 7:20pm On Jul 13, 2015
I had this dream on the night of Day17. I didn't take it to be anything because I had already outran all the guys that were pursuing me from my village. Mumsi saw it on Facebook and called me, I just told her I made it all up.

1 Like

Re: In The Service Of Father Land. (A Corpers Detailed Camp Experience) by kachiz(m): 8:31pm On Jul 15, 2015
‪#‎Day18‬ 19/06/2015
Rain, cold and rain.
I am tired of running about. I don't want it to rain, I don't want it to sun, I want to go. The time remaining can now be quantified in hours but it seems it has started crawling this time.

Today was the competitions, so from the early morning my heart beat sounded something faster than that of "the Army of Peace Band". The Mr. Pretty face competitions was some long hours away.

I dodged the lectures today. It wasn't even cool staying behind. It was risky and boring at the same time.
I tried reading the NYSC handbook like I was preparing for my project defence. The more I read, the more I forgot and the more I got anxious.

There was this mummy in the kitchen, a very big, huge and heavy Yoruba woman. This woman just enjoys giving you a food ration that will not be enough for a 3year old. She just loves not giving people food. These guys sometimes waste the excess food that remains after sharing, I confirmed that when I worked in the kitchen. Why will this Big mummy be doing management with food that the government has provided for those who have decided to come and serve their Father land.
During collection of food, there are usually about 5 or 6 points where people cue up to collect food and because of this Mummy's pattern, nobody even goes to her side. Unless of course you are doing partial fasting or you want all the spaces in your meal ticket to get filled up.
A comedian made a joke about her yesterday night, I just pray she hears it and turn a new leaf. Her code name is "Iya Basira".

Evening came faster than anything you could think of. My shoe size wasn't anywhere to be found in the female world. The only one we saw was a year 1800 grand ma small hilled slippers. The guy wasn't even renting it, he insisted I buy it and maybe when I am done, I will put it on my museum. We didn't buy.
I was contestant no.8 representing platoon 8. The drill was to smile all through the while I will be on stage. Mehn! I didn't know to smile for long meant something else. Your lips will start undergoing a simple harmonic motion. I already had an artificial boobs.

There was some two guys you wouldn't know were guys that night. I knew they were going to be in the first three. I answered my question correctly and as I tried to bow out, I bowed like a man and corrected myself halfway. Acting to be a lady wasn't that easy after all. I am sure I lost some pretty good points from that error.
None of the contestants lost, those of us who didn't get to be among the chosen first three won a carton of super pack Indomie each. It wasn't that bad. I was a celeb tonight. Camera flashes from everybody. The guys that won deserved to win.

My room guys refused to let me sleep because I didn't bring back my Indomie prize back to the room. The lipstick on my lips refused to wash out even after scrubbing it with bathroom scrubbing brush.

What a day!

‪#‎NYSC‬ ‪#‎CampExperience‬ ‪#‎DeltaKopa‬ ‪#‎GoodToGo

2 Likes

Re: In The Service Of Father Land. (A Corpers Detailed Camp Experience) by kachiz(m): 8:34pm On Jul 15, 2015
I am the third hot chick from the left. grin
Re: In The Service Of Father Land. (A Corpers Detailed Camp Experience) by zube01(m): 3:44am On Jul 16, 2015
making sense! u really resemble woman oooh! had to show my guy who immediately started admiring ur pics untill I let him read the story

1 Like

Re: In The Service Of Father Land. (A Corpers Detailed Camp Experience) by kachiz(m): 7:04pm On Jul 20, 2015
# Day19 #20/06/2015
Sleep was sweeter today. There is something that is called
going outside your comfort zone, yesterday I went wayy
out of my "planet zone". Usual morning parade. It seems
I have become a local celebrity.

Today was going to be Carnival. The last daytime
activity in camp. Mami market people have restocked
their shops with throat-cutting and fanciful costumes.
Today was something like freedom day. We became free
after the morning parade. Oh sleep! How much I have
missed you.

Even these soldiers wore their own costume. Why wasn't
the past days something like this? Why was it always
boring lectures, sitting on the floor and buying series of
job. The sweet things in life are always limited. The
carnival lasted from 03pm till 06:30 pm. To me it felt
like a decade. We were not yet ready to stop when 06:30
came, we wanted more not because we were oliver twists
but because we have been deprived of this kind of joy for
soo long a time.

More! More! More!
But it never came.

This evening unfolded like a miracle. The stingy kitchen
people started dishing out food as if Nigeria discovered a
new earth, as if we just turned no.1 richest country in
the world. Even that big black Yoruba mummy aka "Iya
Basira". She was even giving guys two pieces of meat
each. I wanted to say it was jazz or something else till I
noticed the presence of the state coordinator. It was all
"eye service ".

Mr Macho and Miss NYSC competitions came. Platoon 8
won Mr Macho.

Monday can you come here already!

# NYSC # CampExperience # GreatDay # DeltaKopa
# GoodToGo

1 Like

Re: In The Service Of Father Land. (A Corpers Detailed Camp Experience) by kachiz(m): 3:49pm On Jul 22, 2015
#‎Day20‬ #21/06/2015

Sunday again. It was one day. The sleep was now getting better and better. Freedom was just a day away.
No bugle, no nothing. It was just sleep, more sleep and then church.

That woman in the kitchen has still refused to change. How? Why? Shey from tomorrow she can now be keeping the food for herself alone.

Evening came faster than anything and almost about 2300 plus corp members stormed the Mami market to turn up and to raze down their allawee. There was more life in Mami today that I have ever seen since I came here. The turn up was by force!

I don't even know if I want to go again. I knew this day would come. The soldiers couldn't even hold us down tonight. There was a large quantity of alcohol flowing in everybody's blood. They gave up and left us.

Tonight was our last night in the "Obi of Issele-Uku" hostel. We bonded just like guys will bond. We cursed ourselves, made noises and made more noises.

‪#‎NYSC‬ ‪#‎CampExperience‬ ‪#‎WeAreGoingTomorrow

2 Likes

Re: In The Service Of Father Land. (A Corpers Detailed Camp Experience) by yorubadelta(f): 6:15pm On Jul 22, 2015
kachiz:

Even that big black Yoruba mummy aka "Iya
Basira". She was even giving guys two pieces of meat
each. I wanted to say it was jazz or something else till I
noticed the presence of the state coordinator. It was all
"eye service ".

LOL grin
Re: In The Service Of Father Land. (A Corpers Detailed Camp Experience) by Kunle106(m): 10:42pm On Jul 22, 2015
Freedom calling smiley , iya basira dishing out food like say 2mao na judgment day
Re: In The Service Of Father Land. (A Corpers Detailed Camp Experience) by kachiz(m): 10:31am On Jul 27, 2015
#Day21 22/06/2015

Yesterday we were good to go but today we will go, today we will be going and today we will leave.

Rumours had it that by 2am we will all be chased out of the hostel. I didn't feel how short the night was because today was the day we've been looking forward to, the day our shackles will be loosened.

I woke up around 3am and almost every other person in the room had already taken their bath and was #GoodToGo. Where they were rushing to go is what I didn't know.

I have so much been preoccupied with leaving camp that I had taken less time to appreciate each and everyone of the wonderful people I had as roommates irrespective of their various tribes and religion. As the morning unfolded gradually, one by one people were taking their boxes to places where it will be safe. Where it will be faraway from the locals whom we were told will storm our hostel once we leave or worse, while we were still inside. The one room that has been my home for the past 20days was now turning into a deserted place.

Because we were guys or maybe because we were ignorant, we didn't know it was goodbye for some of us or maybe we knew and we didn't want to voice it out. We wanted to act strong.

There was no bugle today, that sound that resonates from the pits of hell. In a way I longed to hear it, even if it was just for the last time.
Outside was calm, everybody now carried their luggage with them, the excitement wasn't that much on peoples faces as it used to be.
For the first time, we woke up and went about freely even to the Mami-market. I had my last chaw of Indomie.

We later went to the parade ground for our last parade. Our passing out parade from camp. Yours sincerely has never been among the people in parade. I wasn't even interested to know if it was the governor or his representative that was there taking salute.
In a way, I sensed it. The Goodbye. It was goodbye Platoon 8 but it was even harder to come to terms with that fact.

The real scramble for Africa begun after the governor left. Everybody now ran to places where they would pick up their posting letter.

The camp that has been one well organized arena, all of a sudden turned into one rowdy and and haphazard place.

I saw my university friend, he was posted to Burutu. He wasn't smiling. Rumour had it that it was an interior village that was very lucky to not witness civilization. Some people even said if you walked around the village, you might even see some dinosaur footprints. I just shaked him and kept my remaining questions to myself.
I later found my own stand, the place where I will get my own letter. People were scared, some others weren't. Me I didn't even know why my heart wasn't beating.
Why wasn't I scared?

I stood there and waited for it to get to my turn, the man shouted 4016, 4017, jumped my number that was 4018 and continued with 4019. This was when my heart started beating faster than usual. This kind of stuff happened during registration and here it was again repeating itself.

Why me?

Well, it wasn't just me. There were a number of us who you can possibly tag as problem candidates. We were now asked to put down our names on paper and wait. Other people were now getting their letters, some were happy and some others were sad. Some has been jobbed.

After a while a man walked out of the office and motioned us to follow him. He was with our list and my heartbeat could now be heard from 1Km away. I showed him my Id card when he shouted 4018, then I looked at it. I was posted to a seminary school in Effurun Warri. What was I going to be doing in that kind of school. Me that have been praying to be posted to a girls college. Can you help me and imagine.

I walked away with my letter to the place where the NACC bus parked. It got filled after sometime and we left.

It was goodbye Issele-Uku, goodbye Asaba.

Would you believe me if I said I didn't want to leave camp. Bonds were easier to make and much more tougher to disintegrate.
That picture was when our bus spoilt along Sapele road, the fan belt just tore into two while the bus was still in motion. Thank heavens that the driver noticed it on time. We passed an accident scene later, unknown to us, it was a Hilux from our camp that had two soldiers and two corpers in it. It collided with a heavy duty tanker. It was later in the evening that we learnt one of the girls died and one of the soldiers was in coma..
Journey well fellow Ajuwaya and quick recovery to you gallant soldier.

The journey was longer than I had envisaged. 2hrs plus and we weren't yet in Warri.
Warri biko olee ebe ino?

We got to the NACC house at smart street Effurun Warri as the sun was about hiding itself beyond the horizon. Oh! I don't like this place.
There were other corpers of previous batches there too, we were welcomed.
These house had plenty rules, but obedient I must become. The mosquitoes here look well fed, our blood was still fresh so if I was a mosquito, believe me it will be very easy to spot out leftovers from newly arrivals.

Today is day 21/21, the last day of camp. The last update of #CampExperience.
For those of us that have been with me since #Day01, thank you. For those of us that have been encouraging me, thank you. For those of us that have also been ghost followers and ghost readers, thank you too. Its been a long and exciting 21days. Its been wonderful, its been hell and its been awesome.

Disclaimer: For those of us who are yet to serve that have been with me in this journey. Please don't base your camp expectations on my own experience. Camp is both hell and also heaven. It will be what you want it to be. Thank you again.

#NYSC #CampExperience #LastDayOfCamp

"..The reason it hurts so much to separate is because our souls are connected. Maybe they always have been and will be. Maybe we've lived a thousand lives before this one and in each of them we've found each other . And maybe each time we've been forced apart for the same reasons. That means that this goodbye is both goodbye for the past ten thousand years and a prelude to what will come"..

3 Likes

Re: In The Service Of Father Land. (A Corpers Detailed Camp Experience) by jaylorde(m): 10:26pm On Jul 27, 2015
God bless you OP, batch 2015B loading

1 Like

Re: In The Service Of Father Land. (A Corpers Detailed Camp Experience) by Kunle106(m): 11:23pm On Jul 27, 2015
Enjoyed ur camp story, jah bless bro
Re: In The Service Of Father Land. (A Corpers Detailed Camp Experience) by yorubadelta(f): 6:55am On Jul 28, 2015
kachiz:

"..The reason it hurts so much to separate is because our souls are connected. Maybe they always have been and will be. Maybe we've lived a thousand lives before this one and in each of them we've found each other . And maybe each time we've been forced apart for the same reasons. That means that this goodbye is both goodbye for the past ten thousand years and a prelude to what will come"..

Aw.. that was beautiful..
thanks for sharing your experience..
Re: In The Service Of Father Land. (A Corpers Detailed Camp Experience) by jaylicioussss(f): 1:19am On Jul 29, 2015
wow, detailed experience indeed, I camped in lagos batch a stream 2 this is a link to my summarized camp experience https://personallyjay./2015/07/04/camperience/[url]
Re: In The Service Of Father Land. (A Corpers Detailed Camp Experience) by Kingnap(m): 12:05pm On Jul 29, 2015
Nice and detailed... God bless the op

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nim-nysc Examination Past Questions Available For Candidates / 2017 Batch A NYSC Registration To Start.... / Taraba State Corpers 2015, BATCH A

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.