Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,203 members, 7,780,361 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 01:02 PM

Could Fornication Not Be A Sin? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Could Fornication Not Be A Sin? (1669 Views)

Fornication And Adultery Are Sweet But... / 10 Things The Holy Book Teaches About Fornication / Is It A Sin To Style A Haircut? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Could Fornication Not Be A Sin? by Omolola1(f): 3:40pm On Jun 10, 2015
I've been a little bit confused for a while now grin

I've been reading the bible back to back, and I came across this passage:
I Corinthians 7:36 "But if any man think that he behaves himself uncomely toward his virgin, if she pass the flower of her age, and need so require, let them do what he will, he sins not: let them marry."

Now, my interpretation of this passage is: as long as you are up to the age of 18, a man can sleep with his girl BUT he must marry her after he must have slept with her...This means the bible supports fornication. I've read so many other versions of the same passage, and it's even more revealing and straight to the point than KJV

What's your interpretation?
Re: Could Fornication Not Be A Sin? by Scholar8200(m): 3:54pm On Jun 10, 2015
Omolola1:

I Corinthians 7:36 "But if any man think that he behaves himself uncomely toward his virgin, if she pass the flower of her age, and need so require, let them do what he will, he sins not: let them marry."

Now, my interpretation of this passage is: as long as you are up to the age of 18, a man can sleep with his girl BUT he must marry her after he must have slept with her...This means the bible supports fornication. I've read so many other versions of the same passage, and it's even more revealing and straight to the point than KJV

Note that the uncomely behaviour is not a mutual action (himself). This verse clarifies it

I Corinth 7:9
But if they cannot contain, let them marry: for it is better to marry than to burn.(with unfulfilled desires)
They need not burn if they were allowed to know each other before marriage!

1 Corinth 7:4
The wife hath not power of her own body, but the husband: and likewise also the husband hath not power of his own body, but the wife.

The use of wife & husband shows at what stage intimacy can be introduced

This does not support fornication. What if there is a break up? and that becomes a trend? Somebody did what you think that verse supports and this was the description

Genesis 34:21
And they said, Should he deal with our sister as with an harlot?

I believe you know the story. The brothers of the lady in question revenged in spite of the promise by the man to marry her. Even before the law, the moral standard was such that intimacies before marriage was punishable by death. Also,the law demands that a woman whose husband discovered was not a virgin after marriage (not before) was to be stoned?

The righteousness under the NT is even higher hence the provision of grace that empowers and enables. Thoughts are judged as actions.

Matthew 5:27,28

27 Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery: 28 but I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.

1 Corinthians 6:9,10

Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, 10 nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.

Ephesians 5:3-7

3 But fornication, and all uncleanness, or covetousness, let it not be once named among you, as becometh saints;

4 neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor jesting, which are not convenient: but rather giving of thanks.
5 For this ye know, that no whoremonger, nor unclean person, nor covetous man, who is an idolater, hath any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God.
6 Let no man deceive you with vain words: for because of these things cometh the wrath of God upon the children of disobedience.
7 Be not ye therefore partakers with them.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Could Fornication Not Be A Sin? by CountDracula(m): 3:56pm On Jun 10, 2015
Omolola1:

1st of all, there was no mention of 18years there

2nd, it says: and need so require, let them do what he will, he sins not: let them marry
If need be, let dem marry... No mention of sex here

1 Like

Re: Could Fornication Not Be A Sin? by ednut1(m): 5:06pm On Jun 10, 2015
sometimes i wish d bible was not translated , sister u need e slap

Re: Could Fornication Not Be A Sin? by gatiano(m): 8:51pm On Jun 10, 2015
Fornication is same as adultery, Have you ever asked why it is not mentioned in the ten commandments? Well, that was because people of the old times had better understanding and wisdom of languages and interpretations.
Going into an unmarried girl is adultery because she is a future wife to another man; and vice versa, the man is the future husband of another woman.

so what about paying for it? preachers or pastor in the house.....
Re: Could Fornication Not Be A Sin? by Judas2013: 9:17pm On Jun 10, 2015
ednut1:

So you live your life according to a book.How narrow minded.
Re: Could Fornication Not Be A Sin? by Judas2013: 9:18pm On Jun 10, 2015
Fornication is a sin? Who get offended if you used your private part?
Re: Could Fornication Not Be A Sin? by seyioluyide: 8:55am On Jun 11, 2015
ednut1:
@ednut1 pls I need your help urgently. Kindly forward the KPMG aptitude test past questions to my email sheyeyonline@gmail.com

Thank you
Re: Could Fornication Not Be A Sin? by An2elect2(f): 9:37am On Jun 11, 2015
But fornication, and all uncleanness, or covetousness, let it not be once named among you, as becometh saints;
Eph 5:3 kjv.
Paul couldn't have contradicted himself dear.

1 Like

Re: Could Fornication Not Be A Sin? by mytym(m): 2:37pm On Jun 11, 2015
Omolola1:

If the man develops sexual urge towards his lover(who is sexually ripe and still 'untouched'), and he thinks he CAN'T control it or expend the energy in otherways but MUST satisfy that urge with HER, THEN he should do the needful and marry her before sleeping with her so that both will be free, not having to suppress the urge... and that he has NOT sinned by having urge towards her.

my interpretation.

4 Likes

Re: Could Fornication Not Be A Sin? by gatiano(m): 2:52pm On Jun 11, 2015
When a man sees a woman's shape and body and he does not have any reaction, then there is something wrong with his body and mind. Whenever a man sees a woman, he automatically gets urges, How he acts on those urges would determine if it is a sin or not. If women are not that pretty and marvellous, we men won't love them, we won't make children(we are not animals, even animal self looks for fine companion).
The solution is for women to dress properly. It make s men think right, when women dress well, we won't even notice them. Abraham gave up his wife sarah once or twice, after that, the solution was to cover up.

mytym:

If the man develops sexual urge towards his lover(who is sexually ripe and still 'untouched'), and he thinks he CAN'T control it or expend the energy in otherways but MUST satisfy that urge with HER, THEN he should do the needful and marry her...and that he has NOT sinned by having urge towards her.

my interpretation.
Re: Could Fornication Not Be A Sin? by mytym(m): 3:06pm On Jun 11, 2015
gatiano:
When a man sees a woman's shape and body and he does not have any reaction, then there is something wrong with his body and mind. Whenever a man sees a woman, he automatically gets urges, How he acts on those urges would determine if it is a sin or not. If women are not that pretty and marvellous, we men won't love them, we won't make children(we are not animals, even animal self looks for fine companion).
The solution is for women to dress properly. It make s men think right, when women dress well, we won't even notice them. Abraham gave up his wife sarah once or twice, after that, the solution was to cover up.

Yes you're right but I'm sorry dressing mode or solution is not the objective here at this time. The objective is to interprete what that bible passage imply because the OP seems confused.

1 Like

Re: Could Fornication Not Be A Sin? by rama606: 4:54pm On Jun 11, 2015
The interpretation: having sex before marriage is not an act of fornication. The word that defind singles sex act is love, scripture ref. s.o.s
Re: Could Fornication Not Be A Sin? by Appleyard(m): 5:20pm On Jun 11, 2015
At OP, fornication is a sin, and the bible made it clear. But it is good that we should first understand what that verse you quoted realy meant.

1 Corithians 7 vs 36;
But if anyman thinks that he behaveth himself uncomely towards his virgin, if she pass the flower of her age, and need so require, let him do what he will, jhe sinneth not, let them marry.

Now let us break it down line by line to get the full meaning of the passage, down to vs 38.

Now, when verse 36 said,
''if anyman''--the term ''anyman'' here would appear to imply the lover or would-be husband to the woman, but that is not the case. The term ''anyman'' refers to the ''father'' of the bride to be. It is the father that gives out the woman in marriage, as at when he deems it fit and necessary; as would later be confirmed by verse 38.--

* --thinks he behave himself uncomely''---(the word ''uncomely'' means, not in keeping with accepted standards of what is right or proper in polite society.'' that is, if a man (father) thinks he is unduely preventing his daughter from getting married against her will, because he had so desired in his heart not to give her out, especially as a vow of service unto God (it was common in those days); meanwhile----
*''if she pass the flower of her age, and need so require''--- * the lady is of marriagable age and wanted to get married, but the man hath already purpose in his heart not to give her in marriage, but to reserve her for a particular purpose such as service unto God like Jethro and his daughter, Hannah and her son, Samuel,-----
*let him (the father) do what he will (he can change his mind concerning the vow, since he lack that will); he sinneth not: (christ liberty brought by His death): let them marry.--- he may now give her out for marriage.

Now, watch vs 37:

Nevertheless, he that standeth stedfast in his heart, having no necessity (no pressure from within or without), but hath power over his own will,-(stedfast in his resolve like Jethro did),- and has so decreed in his heart that he would keep his VIRGIN,- ( virgin, not virginity; thus implying the daughter, not the man's own untouched sexual body: otherwise, it would have been 'his Virginity),--- doeth well.-(exactly what Jethro did, holding to his vow despite loving the daughter so much.)

Finally, verse 38 summed it up and confirmed vs 36 and 37 refers to the power of the virgin's owner-the father.

Vs 38:

So then he (that anyman in vs 36) that giveth her (the virgin, his virgin) in marriage (who is giving her out in marriage now? The father. See?)- doeth well..(why is he been adjudged to have done well for giving her out in marriage, despite first making a vow not to? Simple: because it is better to be married than to burn. That is, fall into sin and be in danger of hell.1Cor.7vs9)---
---*; but he that giveth not her in marriage doeth better.-( that is, he that held unto his promise or vow like Jethrol did with his daughter, doeth the better.).

So, @OP, from the above, we can see that vs 36, and as confirmed by vs38 of the same chapter you quoted, does not have anything to do with you; and no one should misquote it to support his or her sinful act.

For the bible can not decieve.
1 Corinthians 6:18-20 & 1 Corinthians 7:1-2
"Flee fornication. Every sin that a man doeth is without the body; but he that committeth fornication sinneth against his own body. What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's. Now concerning the things whereof ye wrote unto me: It is good for a man not to touch a woman. Nevertheless, to avoid fornication, let every man have his own wife, and let every woman have her own husband."

The dictionary meaning of the word "fornication" means any unlawful sexual intercourse including adultery. In the Bible the Greek definition of the word "fornication" means to commit illicit sexual intercourse.What con our society but is actually being encouraged. The sin of fornication is being committed even among Christians, as many couples "live together" and have sex before marriage. The Bible tells us to flee this sin. We have counseled Christians of the opposite sex who share an apartment and they told us they were not having sex so this surely wasn't wrong. But the Bible declares these words in
1 Thessalonians 5:22-23:

"Abstain from all appearance of evil. And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ."

Our lives as Christians are a living witness to others and we cannot break the laws of God without hindering others from coming to Christ. We must live our lives in line with the dictates of His word.

Thanks
Re: Could Fornication Not Be A Sin? by lomodele(m): 11:13pm On Jun 11, 2015
Posters above me av already clear u on d verse u misinterpreted. To answer your question D Bible clearly says flee from fornication. There's a reason for saying flee. Mind u Romans 12:1 says present urself as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable unto God, this is ur reasonable sacrifice.
Re: Could Fornication Not Be A Sin? by lomodele(m): 11:38pm On Jun 11, 2015
Appleyard:
At OP, fornication is a sin, and the bible made it clear. But it is good that we should first understand what that verse you quoted realy meant.

1 Corithians 7 vs 36;
But if anyman thinks that he behaveth himself uncomely towards his virgin, if she pass the flower of her age, and need so require, let him do what he will, jhe sinneth not, let them marry.

Now let us break it down line by line to get the full meaning of the passage, down to vs 38.

Now, when verse 36 said,
''if anyman''--the term ''anyman'' here would appear to imply the lover or would-be husband to the woman, but that is not the case. The term ''anyman'' refers to the ''father'' of the bride to be. It is the father that gives out the woman in marriage, as at when he deems it fit and necessary; as would later be confirmed by verse 38.--

* --thinks he behave himself uncomely''---(the word ''uncomely'' means, not in keeping with accepted standards of what is right or proper in polite society.'' that is, if a man (father) thinks he is unduely preventing his daughter from getting married against her will, because he had so desired in his heart not to give her out, especially as a vow of service unto God (it was common in those days); meanwhile----
*''if she pass the flower of her age, and need so require''--- * the lady is of marriagable age and wanted to get married, but the man hath already purpose in his heart not to give her in marriage, but to reserve her for a particular purpose such as service unto God like Jethro and his daughter, Hannah and her son, Samuel,-----
*let him (the father) do what he will (he can change his mind concerning the vow, since he lack that will); he sinneth not: (christ liberty brought by His death): let them marry.--- he may now give her out for marriage.

Now, watch vs 37:

Nevertheless, he that standeth stedfast in his heart, having no necessity (no pressure from within or without), but hath power over his own will,-(stedfast in his resolve like Jethro did),- and has so decreed in his heart that he would keep his VIRGIN,- ( virgin, not virginity; thus implying the daughter, not the man's own untouched sexual body: otherwise, it would have been 'his Virginity),--- doeth well.-(exactly what Jethro did, holding to his vow despite loving the daughter so much.)

Finally, verse 38 summed it up and confirmed vs 36 and 37 refers to the power of the virgin's owner-the father.

Vs 38:

So then he (that anyman in vs 36) that giveth her (the virgin, his virgin) in marriage (who is giving her out in marriage now? The father. See?)- doeth well..(why is he been adjudged to have done well for giving her out in marriage, despite first making a vow not to? Simple: because it is better to be married than to burn. That is, fall into sin and be in danger of hell.1Cor.7vs9)---
---*; but he that giveth not her in marriage doeth better.-( that is, he that held unto his promise or vow like Jethrol did with his daughter, doeth the better.).

So, @OP, from the above, we can see that vs 36, and as confirmed by vs38 of the same chapter you quoted, does not have anything to do with you; and no one should misquote it to support his or her sinful act.

For the bible can not decieve.
1 Corinthians 6:18-20 & 1 Corinthians 7:1-2
"Flee fornication. Every sin that a man doeth is without the body; but he that committeth fornication sinneth against his own body. What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's. Now concerning the things whereof ye wrote unto me: It is good for a man not to touch a woman. Nevertheless, to avoid fornication, let every man have his own wife, and let every woman have her own husband."

The dictionary meaning of the word "fornication" means any unlawful sexual intercourse including adultery. In the Bible the Greek definition of the word "fornication" means to commit illicit sexual intercourse.What con our society but is actually being encouraged. The sin of fornication is being committed even among Christians, as many couples "live together" and have sex before marriage. The Bible tells us to flee this sin. We have counseled Christians of the opposite sex who share an apartment and they told us they were not having sex so this surely wasn't wrong. But the Bible declares these words in
1 Thessalonians 5:22-23:

"Abstain from all appearance of evil. And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ."

Our lives as Christians are a living witness to others and we cannot break the laws of God without hindering others from coming to Christ. We must live our lives in line with the dictates of His word.

Thanks
Bros d verse is not actually referring to the Father of d girl but the man(fiancee). Look at this translation=
1 Corp 7:36 If anyone thinks that he is not behaving properly toward his betrothed, if his passions are strong, and it has to be, let him do as he wishes: let them marry-it is no sin.
37: But whoever is firmly established in his heart, being under no necessity but having his desire under control, and has determined this in his heart, to keep her as his betrothed, he will do well.
38: So then he who marries his betrothed does well, and he who refrains from marriage will do even better. English Standard Version(ESV)
Re: Could Fornication Not Be A Sin? by lomodele(m): 11:45pm On Jun 11, 2015
mytym:

If the man develops sexual urge towards his lover(who is sexually ripe and still 'untouched'), and he thinks he CAN'T control it or expend the energy in otherways but MUST satisfy that urge with HER, THEN he should do the needful and marry her before sleeping with her so that both will be free, not having to suppress the urge... and that he has NOT sinned by having urge towards her.

my interpretation.
Dats it bro. U are on point..

1 Like

Re: Could Fornication Not Be A Sin? by Appleyard(m): 8:16pm On Jun 12, 2015
lomodele:

Bros d verse is not actually referring to the Father of d girl but the man(fiancee). Look at this translation=
1 Corp 7:36 If anyone thinks that he is not behaving properly toward his betrothed, if his passions are strong, and it has to be, let him do as he wishes: let them marry-it is no sin.
37: But whoever is firmly established in his heart, being under no necessity but having his desire under control, and has determined this in his heart, to keep her as his betrothed, he will do well.
38: So then he who marries his betrothed does well, and he who refrains from marriage will do even better. English Standard Version(ESV)

Brother, you should know that the ESV bible version is a direct opposite of the king james version, the actual english translation of the bible.smiley
Re: Could Fornication Not Be A Sin? by jnrbayano(m): 8:33pm On Jun 12, 2015
Omolola1:

From this kind of interpretation, a pastor springs up, another holy spirit is born and people in trouble.

Always remember this verse 1 Timothy 3:15:

"but if I am delayed, I write so that you may know how you ought to conduct yourself in the house of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and ground of the truth."
Re: Could Fornication Not Be A Sin? by lomodele(m): 8:50pm On Jun 12, 2015
Appleyard:

Brother, you should know that the ESV bible version is a direct opposite of the king james version, the actual english translation of the bible.smiley
embarassedhmmm
Re: Could Fornication Not Be A Sin? by Nobody: 7:01am On Jun 13, 2015
konji na bastàrd... fucck as you like dear, don't forget to use quality condoms. even mary mother of God was fuccked before marriage.
Re: Could Fornication Not Be A Sin? by Ayomivic(m): 5:39pm On Jun 13, 2015
I think the op was right in his interpretation of that verse but he was wrong by said the Bible support fornication. I think it will do us good if we understand the word fornication according to the Scripture not according to dictionery's defination. Fornication is defined according to dictionery as 'Sex out side marriage' but according to Bible we can say fornication is sex outside marriage in other hand we can say fornication is sex without marry the girl.

According to my understanding of the scripture adultery and fornication are not different to stealing. Stealing is when you take something without permission, when you unlawfully take what does not belong to you.

We must know that God does not hate sex between man and woman,he made the sex, that was how he created it to be.What God hate is when you have sexual intercouse or sexual desire with another man's wife.

So, fornication is when you have sex with a girl be it virgine or not and you refuse to marry her. It is fornication because you steal, take, eat what belong to another man. You cheat that man not that girl but her future husband. Both the boy and girl commit fornication. The boy take what belong to his fellow man, the woman conspired with another man to cheat her future husband. She gave what belong to her future husband willining to another man. Do you get it?

The verse from Old Testament shed light to this. Is this, Pls read it from Deuteronomy 22 vs 13-29 for better understanding.

Deuteronomy 22 vs 28 - 29 is where am going and i read

' 28 If a man find a damsel that is a virgin which is not betrothed, and lay hold on her, and lie with her, and they be found, 29 then, the man that lay with her shall give unto the damsel's father fifty shekels of sliver, and she shall be is wife; because he has humbled her, he may not put her away all his days."

i think this verse above have explained Op controversial verse

What happened in that verse above is sex before marriage. The man later married the damsel it is not sin to them. If the man does not married the girl it become fornication to them

reason this should not practice is because marriage is the evidence and authorisation of the union between man and woman. What if you have sex with her and something comes up and you can't marry her, just like her father refused to give her in marriage to you, and if this happen, it become fornication unto you and to her.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

What Is Quran (koran)? Facts About Quran / On Leicester, Buddha And Yahweh / Angola Out-rightly BANS Islam, All Mosques To Be DESTROY

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.