Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,305 members, 7,808,036 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:52 AM

The Man And The Prophet (a Short Story)_ohibenemma - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Man And The Prophet (a Short Story)_ohibenemma (5510 Views)

Fate And Fortune(a Short Story) / Pleasure And Pain - A Short Story / The Day MTN taught me the Lesson of my Life ( Short Story) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Man And The Prophet (a Short Story)_ohibenemma by rhapzidy(m): 12:01pm On Jun 14, 2015
Jst entered nw.... Ritababe come help me wit dis TIE.....*xo tired*

cheesy
Re: The Man And The Prophet (a Short Story)_ohibenemma by ritababe(f): 1:43pm On Jun 14, 2015
rhapzidy:
Jst entered nw.... Ritababe come help me wit dis TIE.....*xo tired*

cheesy

Guy no put me for trouble oh, u want make that big yash for ur dp kill me angry
Re: The Man And The Prophet (a Short Story)_ohibenemma by Ohibenemma(m): 8:23pm On Jun 14, 2015

he had his future at stake.

This, he did. It appeared silly, at least from what he heard those around say. It was degrading and he knew he would be a laughing stock for long, but that didn't deter him. It was his hair, he would style it the way he pleased. The prophet was overjoyed when he received James' pleas. It was obviously one of, if not the greatest ministerial breakthrough he had ever encountered. The way he went around repeating 'you see? I told you!' to the traders and commuters, one would think he had won a never-before-seen lottery. Some truly marveled, but others pitied the young man who they saw as another head lost to a scammer. One man, a barrister, whose car had broken down en route his office, told the man beside him: 'I wonder how people could still be so foolish as to fall for these prophecy vendors.' His voice was loud and bold. James heard him, Prophet Jonah did too. They also heard the other man's response: 'Something tells me that this scene before us is a scam in itself; I mean, why would such an apology be tendered in public?' James would have taken it up with the man had he not felt that the prophet may not take kindly to such action. The prophet's next words seemed to confirm his thoughts.

'I will not banter words with anyone, for the bible says: I will fight for you, and you shall hold your peace. Halleluyah!' A couple of throats reechoed him. He marched to where Olugbenga James was - still on his knees, held his shoulders and urged him up. 'Who am I not to forgive you?' He declared aloud. 'I forgive you and break every curse you've brought on yourself. I release you to your destiny by the power of Yahweh!'

'Amen,' James said, relieved.

The prophet soon released him, but not before declaring to him: 'When God does something for man, he expects thanks in return; and how best can such thanks be expressed, but through our substance?' The prophet saw the confusion on his new convert's face and quickly added: 'I know you don't have much, but that little can go a long way in ensuring the continuation of God's work.'

James dug his hand into his pocket and gave all he had on him - a hundred naira note. He returned home with a kind of peace he hadn't experienced for long. Ten minutes later, seated on one of the benches in Iya Igbadun's Food shed, Prophet Jonah hastily swallowed hot rolls of foofoo, after dipping them in a bowl of ogbono soup. Each of his two foofoo wraps cost him thirty naira and, taken without meat, he was able to save forty naira change from the hundred naira he received from James..

His uncle and wife weren't in when he arrived home; their children too were off to school. He had ample time to relive the events of the day. He was sad, yet excited. He was sad to have lost the job, but excited to have done the right thing afterwards. He was free of the prophet's curse, and by extension every curse prior to that. The prophet had forgiven him and declared his destiny released - that bound destiny that had made him an object of ridicule for long; that bound destiny that had turned even his uncle and wife against him. He believed the prophet. He believed that his problems were going to change now. He had lost the frown on his face - for the first time in many days - the very moment Prophet Jonah pronounced him forgiven, and he was yet to find it two hours later when he fell asleep on the one of the two three-seaters in his uncle's sitting room.

James awoke to the sound of his ringing phone two hours later. He checked the screen for the caller, it was an unsaved number. He coughed to clear his throat before answering the call; it was a male voice.

'You silly guy, coming to my office with a letter from your local chairman,' came the Director of Strategy's voice, 'get a good tie on a clean shirt tomorrow, and come with your credentials to ratify your appointment...'

James wasn't sure if he wasn't in dreamland. He pinched himself to be sure, but it was also possible for one to pinch himself in a dream. The call timer was still counting, so he raised the phone back to his ear.

'Did you hear me clearly?' The D.S was asking...

No, he didn't.

He would terminate the call, rub his eyes to clarity then return the call, with the claim that the initial termination had been caused by network problems. He would listen to the man afresh and jump up in joy afterwards. His uncle would return from work some minutes later, hear the latter part of his story and hug him tightly. He would get same treatment from his uncle's wife, who would inform him that her husband had always thought him a success. He would ascribe the sudden change in the tide to the release of his destiny by the prophet, and his belief in the man would soar even higher. James would resume work next day, after arriving earlier than usual at the bus-stop to testify before the prophet. The prophet would bless him, then go on to make his testimony the topic for the day.

James would move into the company's staff quarters same weekend, but would go a visiting to the bus-stop as often as he could. The prophet would be intimated on all that happened in the office and he would constantly give 'spiritual' counselling in return. Prophet Jonah would realize that he received more from James when the young man had more, and would create a wedge between him and his uncle's family to free up more funds for disbursement.

To be Kontinyud...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Man And The Prophet (a Short Story)_ohibenemma by Sweetyie(f): 9:22pm On Jun 14, 2015
Nice. Biko come n update
Re: The Man And The Prophet (a Short Story)_ohibenemma by rhapzidy(m): 12:16am On Jun 15, 2015
ritababe:

rhapzidy_dear no put me for trouble oh, u want make that big yash for ur dp kill me angry
dnt worry its u am following, more0ver, she'z abroad.... Plssss sad
Re: The Man And The Prophet (a Short Story)_ohibenemma by ritababe(f): 6:35am On Jun 15, 2015
rhapzidy:

Hmmm
Re: The Man And The Prophet (a Short Story)_ohibenemma by mizznutrition(f): 11:14am On Jun 15, 2015
interesting piece...nice job I must say
Re: The Man And The Prophet (a Short Story)_ohibenemma by kingphilip(m): 11:49am On Jun 15, 2015
princesssusan:
You got it! I wanted adding it bt dont wnt to post a long epistle.
I know u know that jor
U wey get brain pass me
Re: The Man And The Prophet (a Short Story)_ohibenemma by kingphilip(m): 11:51am On Jun 15, 2015
Ohibenemma:
Thanks, sir.
uwc boss
Re: The Man And The Prophet (a Short Story)_ohibenemma by rhapzidy(m): 12:05pm On Jun 15, 2015
ritababe:

Hmmm
"hmmm".... Itx lyk u r tired 2. Well dat makes 2 of us smiley undecided cheesy
Re: The Man And The Prophet (a Short Story)_ohibenemma by kingphilip(m): 12:06pm On Jun 15, 2015
N the fake prophet continues swindling James.. Na wow for am o
Now d fake prophet gets free food daily
Nice one Emmy
Re: The Man And The Prophet (a Short Story)_ohibenemma by Ohibenemma(m): 5:27pm On Jun 15, 2015
rhapzidy:
Kontinyu oh!
Re: The Man And The Prophet (a Short Story)_ohibenemma by Ohibenemma(m): 5:30pm On Jun 15, 2015
kingphilip:
N the fake prophet continues swindling James.. Na wow for am o

Now d fake prophet gets free food daily

Nice one Emmy

Ese gan.
Re: The Man And The Prophet (a Short Story)_ohibenemma by Ohibenemma(m): 5:58pm On Jun 15, 2015

...family to free up more funds for disbursement.

Things came to a head, six months later when Prophet James, his ministry now relocated from the bus-stop to a reasonable sized tent; and planning to purchase a piece of land for his permanent site, informed James that the Lord had mandated him to be the major financier of the project. The young man had been the major financier of the ministry up till that point, but knew this was going to be a bigger task than normal.
'We have seen the land,' Prophet Jonah, now clad in a clean, cream coloured robe, said. 'It will cost only two hundred and fifty thousand naira, but it might cost even more than that to sand-fill it.' He caressed a crucifix pendant on his glistening silvery necklace.

'Sand-fill?' James asked, fingering his tie.

'Yes, when Yahweh showed me the land, I was surprised to discover that it was located in an erosion-ravaged area. That explains why the price is so cheap, but it also presents us with some challenges. We will have to do some concrete reinforcements and fill it with sand. He moves in mysterious ways.'

Yahweh moved in mysterious ways. James agreed, though a part of him couldn't help thinking how the revelation had come to the prophet without a clue on the condition of the land.

And the money involved was something else. He couldn't raise it even if he didn't touch his salaries for the next three months. He voiced this concern to the prophet.

Prophet Jonah smiled and scratched his jaw, the beard covering his jaw was now well-trimmed, well kempt and brushed out: 'You can raise it; I told you that's why the Lord placed you there. That's why the Lord gave you favour in a city where many others have fruitlessly searched for jobs for years.' He faced James so that their eyes met. 'Don't you believe this?'

Of course, he did. That was why he had always striven to carry out the prophet's bidding even when such seemed impractical. He had even cut corners in his bid to meet the prophet's ever increasing requirements of him - with the prophet's blessings, of course.

'Tell me,' Prophet Jonah emphasized, 'don't you believe this?'

'I do, sir; but...'

'Don't bother about the buts, just know that if you be willing and obedient, you shall eat the good of the land, Isaiah 1:19. Are you willing?'

James nodded, who didn't want to eat the good of the land?

'Then you must do as I say.' The prophet adjusted on the bench they shared. 'You told me about the GPS coordination contract your firm is bidding for - the one for the new transport company?' James nodded, wondering what was coming next. 'Your firm will clinch it because major competitors aren't privy to the insider information you have; am I right?'

'Yes, you are, sir.'

'To get the funds we need for the work of Yahweh, all you need to do is barter the knowledge for money...'

'That will be the height of betrayal! Trading off my employer to her competitors?'

'You must know that Yahweh sees not as man sees: man looks at the outward appearance, but Yahweh looks on the heart, 1st Samuel 16:7,' Prophet Jonah gently pressed on. 'It is not what you do that matters, but the purpose for which you do it. Yahweh sees that purpose. Do you love the Lord?'

'I do, but...'

'But you think the society will see your act as fraudulent. Does how the society see you matter more than how Yahweh sees you?' James shook his head. 'Do you believe that Yahweh sees your heart.'

'Yes, sir...'

'Then you must carry out this task with every sincerity of heart you can muster. I will be praying for you; you can not fail, you must not fail God in the name of Yahweh!'

'Amen!' James replied. He still had his doubts, but did his mortal fears matter when God was behind him?'

Orikinla, SMC, Karchisbarbie: To be Kontinyud...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Man And The Prophet (a Short Story)_ohibenemma by rhapzidy(m): 2:19am On Jun 16, 2015
Ohibenemma:
Kontinyu oh!
in M.I's voice "bad belle"..** in my voice "its allowed" tongue
Re: The Man And The Prophet (a Short Story)_ohibenemma by Ohibenemma(m): 3:41pm On Jun 16, 2015
rhapzidy:
in M.I's voice "bad belle"..** in my voice "its allowed" tongue
OK nau
Re: The Man And The Prophet (a Short Story)_ohibenemma by Ohibenemma(m): 3:42pm On Jun 16, 2015
#Last Card...

but did his mortal fears matter when God was behind him?'

Prophet Jonah shut his eyes tightly and nodded, like one listening to an invisible being. 'Yahweh says He will be with you always, even till the end of the age.'

'Amen!'

James left soon after. He had nothing to fear. Yahweh was with him, and that consideration was more important than any other. Three days later, the deal was done with Metro Observers and he was smiling to the bank. A huge percentage of his cut was sent to the prophet next day; Prophet Jonah generously prayed for and assured him of Yahweh's blessings.

Things would remain as they were - rosy and smooth-flowing; so James thought, until his phone rang that day in the office. It was a week since he made the deal with Metro Observers. The call was from Ali Bako, their General Manager, the one he had personally negotiated with.

'Hello, hope I'm on to James Olugbenga?'

James wondered why the man was sounding antagonistic. And they had exchanged many calls the previous week for the man not to know who owned the line. 'Yes, sir; good afternoon, sir.'

'There's nothing good about today, young man. I am pleased to inform you that your double dealing handsomely paid off.'

'I don't get you, sir.'

'Of course, you do. You did handsomely well, selling same confidential information to multiple firms; but with me, you have bitten more than you can chew...'

'I don't understand you, sir...' he could almost hear his heartbeats.

'Pro Consults just clinched the deal; I am sure you know how they got hold of that confidential info.'

'I honestly don't, sir...' Sweat broke out on his forehead.

'It doesn't matter whether or not you do; hope our cash is still intact?'

'Em...em...sir, I will need some time to...'

'That means you will be of no use to me. I should be speaking to your General Manager...'

'Please, sir; just give me some time and I will...' He discovered that the line had gone dead. Quickly, he dialled the man's line, but got a busy tone. Was the man on to his Manager?

He couldn't do much personally, but he had Yahweh on his side. He wasn't alone and he wasn't helpless. This thought gave him some courage, but it couldn't dispel his fears. He dialled the prophet's line. It didn't connect. He tried again and again, losing some courage with each failed attempt to connect. He was trying it the fifth time when a knock sounded on his door; he knew who they were, he knew what they wanted, he was sore scared, but he still trusted in Yahweh. He arose and made for the door, sure that Yahweh would fight for him.

Behind bars four days later, he replayed the events of his life. He had thought he was fighting a good fight, he had thought Yahweh would always be there for him, but was now getting to know better. His uncle had finally agreed to visit him that morning; he had done so after ignoring his pleas for two days. The man had shed tears as he listened to him, before verbally lashing out at him. He was highly disappointed, his uncle said, highly disappointed at his foolishness. And Prophet Jonah had just left him. The bearded man, who he had thought would be the first to come visiting, had delayed for three whole days! And he had appeared more concerned about what he had said about him. Amongst the many things the man said, while constantly looking over his shoulders as if scared of something, the words that kept replaying in his brain were: 'Ecclesiastes 10:10, wisdom is profitable to direct. Heaven will never help those who foolishly failed to help themselves...' It had come to that - sadly enough - but it was true: if only he had been wiser.

THE END.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Man And The Prophet (a Short Story)_ohibenemma by Ohibenemma(m): 4:01pm On Jun 16, 2015
Made your order? It's easy and #YOU CAN!

Now available on ww.w.konga.com, VENGEANCE IS MINE tells the story of Johnson Obazu, who will be gruesomely murdered for loving Tina.

It also tells of the intrigues that surface as Pastor Josiah Obazu is torn between the dictates of his DIVINE calling and avenging his only brother's death...

How did these play out?

Available on KONGAdotCOM.

1 Share

Re: The Man And The Prophet (a Short Story)_ohibenemma by Aipete2(f): 10:06pm On Jun 16, 2015
you didn't mention my name there
Re: The Man And The Prophet (a Short Story)_ohibenemma by Ohibenemma(m): 7:12am On Jun 17, 2015
Aipete2:
you didn't mention my name there
So...so sorry. Through with the story? How did you see it?
Re: The Man And The Prophet (a Short Story)_ohibenemma by Aipete2(f): 1:53pm On Jun 17, 2015
Ohibenemma:
So...so sorry. Through with the story? How did you see it?
my eyes is sharp
Re: The Man And The Prophet (a Short Story)_ohibenemma by Ohibenemma(m): 11:46am On Jun 22, 2015
Aipete2:
my eyes is sharp
Na true. So after sharply seeing it, what are your thoughts on the story?
Re: The Man And The Prophet (a Short Story)_ohibenemma by Fembleez1(m): 4:56pm On Jun 22, 2015
Would read later smiley
Re: The Man And The Prophet (a Short Story)_ohibenemma by Ohibenemma(m): 11:19pm On Jun 22, 2015
Fembleez1:
Would read later smiley
And let's hear your views when you are done.
Re: The Man And The Prophet (a Short Story)_ohibenemma by Tylenol: 11:27pm On Jun 22, 2015
Well done, OP.

Good read.
Re: The Man And The Prophet (a Short Story)_ohibenemma by kingphilip(m): 8:55am On Jun 23, 2015
Wow ohiben this is a great piece and also has a lot of moral in it

I think the fake prophet divulged the secret out with some spice of good advices that made the other company clinch the deal ahead of James own leak of information... Fate played James, he fell for it and is bearing the consequences..

We need more people here
Please lalasticlala, mynd44, Ishilove, obinnau can we have this on front page.. I think it's moral laden and will to some extent be helpful to somebody out there
Re: The Man And The Prophet (a Short Story)_ohibenemma by Ohibenemma(m): 12:08pm On Jun 23, 2015
Tylenol:
Well done, OP.
Good read.
Thanks!
Re: The Man And The Prophet (a Short Story)_ohibenemma by Ohibenemma(m): 12:23pm On Jun 23, 2015
Tylenol:
Well done, OP.

Good read.
Thanks!
kingphilip:
Wow ohiben this is a great piece and also has a lot of moral in it
I think the fake prophet divulged the secret out with some spice of good advices that made the other company clinch the deal ahead of James own leak of information... Fate played James, he fell for it and is bearing the consequences..
We need more people here
Please lalasticlala, mynd44, Ishilove, obinnau can we have this on front page.. I think it's moral laden and will to some extent be helpful to somebody out there
THANKS so much! Such is life. These scam "gods of men", products of the prevailing economic realities are on the prowl, seeking whom to devour. THE sad part is that many still fall victims.*

AS always, I try to pass across lessons through my stories.
Re: The Man And The Prophet (a Short Story)_ohibenemma by ritababe(f): 10:16pm On Jun 23, 2015
hi guys we made it to the next round a big thank you to u guys. tomorrow is another day have a wonderful night.. #teamlekinz
Re: The Man And The Prophet (a Short Story)_ohibenemma by harjibolar10(m): 3:57am On Jun 30, 2015
So, the story has long long finish... ayaf come now thou

You know in the first place, I think this yeye Prophet was a "real" charlatan, but along the line, my thoughts get complicated, when his "suggestion" came through, and ma doubt was later confirmed, when the man of God, want his "disciple" to engage in a fraudulent act.

But anyways, that render "James the most yeye person on earth... on the other hand, I may not blame him thou, cos those" pastors" will go beyond what they can chew, to get what they want, may be that's what happen to this young man here, who knows?

And bros, in one way or the other, I always have at least minimum of 2lessons to learn, from each of your story, and thats why I will always stick to ya story oooo

Thanks a lot bros

If I may ask, how much us that your "book"?
Re: The Man And The Prophet (a Short Story)_ohibenemma by Ohibenemma(m): 11:00am On Jun 30, 2015
harjibolar10:
So, the story has long long finish... ayaf come now thou

You know in the first place, I think this yeye Prophet was a "real" charlatan, but along the line, my thoughts get complicated, when his "suggestion" came through, and ma doubt was later confirmed, when the man of God, want his "disciple" to engage in a fraudulent act.

But anyways, that render "James the most yeye person on earth... on the other hand, I may not blame him thou, cos those" pastors" will go beyond what they can chew, to get what they want, may be that's what happen to this young man here, who knows?

And bros, in one way or the other, I always have at least minimum of 2lessons to learn, from each of your story, and thats why I will always stick to ya story oooo

Thanks a lot bros

If I may ask, how much us that your "book"?
So glad you like it: so glad you learnt something from it. Vengeance Is Mine goes for #800 only. konga.com/vengeance-is-mine-1629900
Re: The Man And The Prophet (a Short Story)_ohibenemma by harjibolar10(m): 12:23pm On Jun 30, 2015
Ohibenemma:
So glad you like it: so glad you learnt something from it. Vengeance Is Mine goes for #800 only. konga.com/vengeance-is-mine-1629900
Me I dey kwara oo, hope no any extra charge oooo?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Pacesetters Novels In PDF / A Night With A Club Girl(True Life Story) / My Landlady And I - A True Life Story

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.