Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,328 members, 7,780,845 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 12:15 AM

Has The Church Become Too Wordly Or Is The World Becoming Too Churchy? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Has The Church Become Too Wordly Or Is The World Becoming Too Churchy? (3583 Views)

Some Very Funny Churchy Signs / Are All Wordly Songs WrongTo Listen To? / Preaching With A Laptop On The Pulpit Wordly Or An Advancement? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Has The Church Become Too Wordly Or Is The World Becoming Too Churchy? by sleekymag(m): 6:01pm On Feb 20, 2009
Sometimes i muse about happenings around. Though i'm using music as a case study here.
1) Is the church becoming too worldly?
We see churches these days, (so it has been for sometime though), when a new dance step starts reigning, everyone starts dancing it, and before you know it, it becomes the norm in churches. Examples include Makossa, and Yahoozie. Also, you see a situation where some christians, soon after leaving church, would immediately start living the worldly life, enjoying songs like (Do me i do you by P Square), Shayo, DBanj's songs etc).

2) Is the world becoming too churchy?
We also see situations where artistes (in the Nigerian/African context) give thanks to God when they win awards for songs that have helped to even derail many people further from closeness to God. (in the 2008 channel o awards, and even at the MTV Mama awards, we saw people like Ikechukwu (Wine am well), P Square (Do me), and many others (also foreign acts in foreign awards) win awards and profoundly thanked God for such impact they made. Also we see situations were armed robbers pray for successful operations, 419ers/yahoo boys thank God when they catch magas, and even prostitutes/loose girls pray and thank God for providing for them.

Is the world becoming too churchy and is the church becoming too wordly? Or is the line between godliness and worldiness blurring so fast, we might not make a difference?
Re: Has The Church Become Too Wordly Or Is The World Becoming Too Churchy? by Infomizer(m): 6:32am On Feb 21, 2009
I feel you brother. I've mustered over this for a while too and if you hadn't posted it, i would have done so any way, Well done, i feel that the church is becoming worldly as a result of the tactics that some ministries use in drawing the youths to God, I dont know if its pulling them to God but i know for sure that its pulling them to Church, As for the hip hop artists, i feel they wouldn't openly dedicate their successes to the devil (at least not for now), Let's just keep praying that God should take control, Peace
Re: Has The Church Become Too Wordly Or Is The World Becoming Too Churchy? by cvibe: 6:47am On Feb 21, 2009
People changed when the churches changed.

Back in the days, churches used to preach about salvation and being born again but now it is prosperity most places you go to.
Re: Has The Church Become Too Wordly Or Is The World Becoming Too Churchy? by jamace(m): 7:41am On Feb 21, 2009
Na rub my back, I rub your back dem de do now. The world is assimilating the church and the church is yielding enthusiastically. Woe unto the church!
Re: Has The Church Become Too Wordly Or Is The World Becoming Too Churchy? by sleekymag(m): 9:47am On Feb 21, 2009
For the purpose of winning souls to church, maybe its necessary for the church to get a little worldly (We are not of the world, but we are in the world). But what we need is outright condemnation of these subtle ways of the world, cos they have encroached into our lifestyles and daily living. Compromising standards is almost the order of the day. May God help us.
Re: Has The Church Become Too Wordly Or Is The World Becoming Too Churchy? by Nobody: 11:46am On Feb 21, 2009
CHURCHY. That's the word of the year right there. CHURCHY!!

(1) (Reply)

Vishwakarma Puja Mantra, Puja Vidhi, Vishwakarma Aarti Lyrics / Man Visits Heaven And Meets God! / Call It What It Is, Jehovah's Witness Is A Weird Fucking Cult

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.