Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,290 members, 7,780,664 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 06:59 PM

Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You (36119 Views)

Nursery School In Calabar Flogs Parents For Bringing Their Kids Late To School / The Risk Students Take In Warri To Get To School (Photo) / 12-Year-Old Girl Takes $20,000 To School In The US (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by Ibime(m): 1:01am On Feb 23, 2009
~Sauron~:

I have seen unrefined and boorish Naija-Delta peops too but that won't make me generalise.

My friend stop lying!

Where can you find an unrefined Naija-Delta man?  grin grin grin Even the ones in the village speak relatively flawless English compared to . . . . . How can Flowshow be from Bayelsa? Have you heard the level of his H-factor?
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by Becomrrich: 1:02am On Feb 23, 2009
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by Treetop20(m): 1:03am On Feb 23, 2009
how many people in ANY
Nigerian village speak flawless English?
cheesy cheesy
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by Sauron1: 1:04am On Feb 23, 2009
Ibime:

My friend stop lying!
Where can you find an unrefined Naija-Delta man?  grin grin grin Even the ones in the village speak relatively flawless English compared to . . . . .

The ones in the village speak relatively flawless English?? Na yam??
Have u heard Flowshow on the mic?? grin grin grin grin
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by tamme: 1:04am On Feb 23, 2009
omo this becomrrich wetin be his own?  undecided
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by Ibime(m): 1:06am On Feb 23, 2009
Treetop20:

how many people in ANY
Nigerian village speak flawless English?
cheesy cheesy

In the villages where English is the lingua franca!

One Ijaw man cannot understand the other, so they speak to each other in English or pidgin.

~Sauron~:

Have u heard Flowshow on the mic?? grin grin grin grin

I repeat:

How can Flowshow be from Bayelsa? Have you heard the level of his H-factor?
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by NegroNtns(m): 1:13am On Feb 23, 2009
This is not an anlysis of passing grade or university entry barriers.

It is an analysis of a report outlining disparities between volume of enrollment in universities located in distinctly separate regions.

To obtain accurate attributes you use a "Attribute Control Charts", you sheep!  Whatever name you call it, passing grade, test scores, fail rates, competency measures, call it what you want, the question is valid; there are inaccuracies in the data and you do not know that because you don't know the proper questions to ask or the specific pointers to look for and tell if a data poll is accurate or not.  Stop feigning knowledge, you crowned yourself as a very proficient excel user.  I am challenging you to prove your proficiency publicly.  It is me and you, answer my questions in the earlier post if you are truly a believer in your claims.  

Mumu, what does the fact that we are talking about standardized test have to do with your failure to detect error in stastical data.

It is people like you, dummies, that fell for MADOFF scheme, people believing in a stastistical data that consecutively year after year gave a 100% returns in a volatile market that is known traditionally to swing up and down.  I told you, I am too smart for you to sell that box to, I don't care how much it weighs it is not a wide screen tv, it is packed full of bricks.

We did an analysis of a standardised test, looking only at the test scores, not the passing grade.

. . .except that you have no clue what the average is for the data you are calculating and neither do you have knowledge of the percentiles and thus you loose grip of the control limits.  Dummy!  JAMB is not for quantity evaluation, the process is for quality evaluation.  As I said earlier, for a dogmatic message of course you could frame the data and produce analysis to say whatever suits your fancy, which is exactly what was done here.  You believe you could sweep through without any counter measure and you forget Negro is here.  You are using JAMB result to skew information and propagate ethnic sentiments but yet when you face my fire you whine that you don't like propaganda.  Really?  You don't like propaganda when it is selectively against your favor.  You sheep!

You Yoruba folks in here, don't mind this fool, his analysis is a fraud!
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by LadyT(f): 1:18am On Feb 23, 2009
angry@ Negro so you are still around!

@topic

where do these numbers come from? Jeez
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by Sauron1: 1:23am On Feb 23, 2009
Ibime:

In the villages where English is the lingua franca!
One Ijaw man cannot understand the other, so they speak to each other in English or pidgin.

So because they speak English/Pidgin makes their use of English crisp??
I am disappointed.

How can Flowshow be from Bayelsa? Have you heard the level of his H-factor?

He is from Rivers!!! cheesy

Negro_Ntns:

You Yoruba folks in here, don't mind this fool, his analysis is a fraud!

Statistics don't faze me.
The original poster quoted an Igbo man who wanted us to believe the nonsense stats he collated. . . .
Like i have said. . . . .Statistics are like miniskirts.
It can be manipulated to suit whatever you want it to prove.
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by Nobody: 1:28am On Feb 23, 2009
Ibime:

My friend stop lying!

Where can you find an unrefined Naija-Delta man?  grin grin grin Even the ones in the village speak relatively flawless English compared to . . . . . How can Flowshow be from Bayelsa? Have you heard the level of his H-factor?

It snows in hell. grin
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by Ibime(m): 1:36am On Feb 23, 2009
Negro_Ntns:

It is an analysis of a report outlining disparities between volume of enrollment in universities located in distinctly separate regions.

To obtain accurate attributes you use a "Attribute Control Charts", you sheep!  Whatever name you call it, passing grade, test scores, fail rates, competency measures, call it what you want, the question is valid; there are inaccuracies in the data and you do not know that because you don't know the proper questions to ask or the specific pointers to look for and tell if a data poll is accurate or not.  Stop feigning knowledge, you crowned yourself as a very proficient excel user.  I am challenging you to prove your proficiency publicly.  It is me and you, answer my questions in the earlier post if you are truly a believer in your claims.  

Mumu, what does the fact that we are talking about standardized test have to do with your failure to detect error in stastical data.

It is people like you, dummies, that fell for MADOFF scheme, people believing in a stastistical data that consecutively year after year gave a 100% returns in a volatile market that is known traditionally to swing up and down.  I told you, I am too smart for you to sell that box to, I don't care how much it weighs it is not a wide screen tv, it is packed full of bricks.

. . .except that you have no clue what the average is for the data you are calculating and neither do you have knowledge of the percentiles and thus you loose grip of the control limits.  

What is this idiot blabbing about? Mumu read about percentiles and averages and is here blabbing nonsense. Put it this way - whichever way you slice the pie, Rivers State is in the top quartile because it achieved the top percentage. What more is there to analyse?

Attribute control chart? What attribute do you want to control? The no of people whose first language isn't English? Or maybe I should exclude the no of people born into single parent-homes and see whether the analysis changes? You idiot!

A proper data analyst would be asking me about z-testing, you are here asking me about attribute control. Does JAMB give any specifics with their data? Maybe we can exclude the Yoruba-Muslims from our analysis and see how Yoruba-Christians hold up against the rest of the country. I wonder where you will get the data from? Do you see any variables in the data? Olodo!

Your whole post reeks of sciolism.

I have forgotten more about data analysis than you have ever read. Here's a challenge for you - why not extrapolate the data to excel and produce your conclusion. I shall give you 24 hours to produce anything we can analyse! This idiot is talking about outliners and skewed data for a robust data set. Do you think this is the stock market?

Negro_Ntns:

. . .except that you have no clue what the average is for the data you are calculating and neither do you have knowledge of the percentiles and thus you loose grip of the control limits.

How long do you think it would take me to produce the average for the data set or to break it down into quartiles? 10 minutes! And what would you do with the data when I finish? Nothing!

What did this fool study sef? Superficial knowledge of everything and indepth knowledge of none!

Negro_Ntns:

his analysis is a fraud!

In ten minutes I ranked all the states according to their scores in Maths. It was obviously done by excel-commands, not human input. Even Einstein couldn't alter the data to ensure a favourable outcome in so short a time-span.

I challenge you to dispute my figures. You have the data set, please produce your own ranking according to percentages and tell me if they differ from mine.

Here is the data you need: http://www.jambng.com/subject/MATHS.pdf

Oya, get cracking!
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by NegroNtns(m): 2:00am On Feb 23, 2009
Lady Teeeeeeeeeeee!!! grin grin grin

Yes sweetie, still very much around and breathing!! . . .waiting on bailout. . . grin

How are you doing dear?
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by Nobody: 2:09am On Feb 23, 2009
Kolo mentality, e be say you be colonial man, you don be slave for before, dem don release you now but you never release your self. E be so dem do dem de over do all the things dem de do, e be so. E be so dem de do, dem think say  dem better pass dem brothers no be soo? e be so. The thing weh black no good, na foreign things dem de like no be so? e be so!
                                                                                                                             ------Fela Kuti.

People won't buy Nigerian made clothes cause they'll say it's Aba made(but you'll buy the sweatshop product made by slave labour in China. Just cause it has an American brand on it) Kolo mentality.

This thread is not necessary at all. The Igbos this, the Yourbas that? Why all the separations? Did you guys also check which region has biggest numbers of exam malpractices? or are you just leaving it out? Igbo people, you are as African as any other Black man, no better than the other, or worse than the other. Their is no superiority!! It's clear this thread is meant to just say things like "we speak better English than you" and my tribe is better than yours. Is English your mother tongue? Kolo slaves!!! Bash all you want, you know already that I bleeped your shit up!!!.
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by NegroNtns(m): 2:28am On Feb 23, 2009
In ten minutes I ranked all the states according to their scores in Maths. It was obviously done by excel-commands, not human input. Even Einstein couldn't alter the data to ensure a favourable outcome in so short a time-span.

You are a waste of time!  You are calculating mathematical averages and ranking the results in ascending or descending order.  You are fool!  Primary 6 student can do that.  

For your information, the data set you are looking at, as it exists, does not have the limits with which to plot distribution for accurate reporting of regional performance.  More information is needed to create accurate report.  JAMB, by producing this report is telling us that they are monitoring the process over a range of time, spanning 7 years.  Which indicates that they are controlling the sampling to create measurable indices that will alert them to disparities in performance.  Is the testing "in-process" or is it "out-of-process"?  Are we accomplishing goals?  How can we set triggers to alert us to improvement needs in the process?  In the third year you can take the results of the two previous years and observe the control limits and tell if you are in or out of process and make modifications to sustain student enrollments in Universities.  This is the swing I alluded to earlier.   If you have a 7year data that is concistently performing at above par you should do inspection of your data for outliers as well as an analysis of variance to find the root cause and adjust your range.  

I am sure JAMB have these control limits in place and without it it is wrong to give a mathematical calculation as an accurate representation of a much needed stastistical analysis to pinpoint how the regions stack up. I have repeated this in enough times.  Debo was the first person say that "there is not much to deduce from these charts".  I will put it in bold so you can see it. . .

THESE CHARTS AND THE ANALYSIS OF THE SELF-PROCLAIMED EXCEL EXPERT MUST BE TAKEN WITH A GRAIN OF SALT, THEY ARE NO MORE THAN THE WORDS OF A POLITICIAN DECLARING THAT SOCIAL PROGRAMS MUST BE RE-DISTRIBUTED BASED ON JAMB RESULTS IN FAVOR OF SOUTHEAST ABOVE OTHER REGIONS OF NIGERIA.  

Ibime get off the Bus!

Negro switches hat!

Now, where is Dede?  Dede speak up!  Where are you?   Have you heard of Banza Bakwai?
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by Ibime(m): 2:50am On Feb 23, 2009
Negro_Ntns:

You are a waste of time!  You are calculating mathematical averages and ranking the results in ascending or descending order.  You are fool!  Primary 6 student can do that.

Oya, do it! I doubt you can even seperate columns in excel talkless of data-sorting.  grin grin grin

Like I said, the percentage ranking gives everyone an indisputable measure of who is performing or not.

Negro_Ntns:

For your information, the data set you are looking at, as it exists, does not have the limits with which to plot distribution for accurate reporting of regional performance.  More information is needed to create accurate report.  JAMB, by producing this report is telling us that they are monitoring the process over a range of time, spanning 7 years.  Which indicates that they are controlling the sampling to create measurable indices that will alert them to disparities in performance.  Is the testing "in-process" or is it "out-of-process"? 

Look at this idiot talking about process testing. How dynamic is yearly data? Also, what does it have to do with our discussion on which state is performing best? Are we education planners? Maybe, when you finish your process testing, you can present it to  Nairalanders in layman terms for them to understand. I am sure they would much prefer percentage ranking of the static data they have been given for 2008.

After shooting down his previous post, he now wants to change the topic to process testing (after consulting google). How are Nairalanders supposed to conduct process testing with the information given to them by JAMB? You came here calling my analysis a fraud. After failing to disprove anything, you change stance and point fingers at JAMB for not conducting rigorous data-testing. Am I JAMB? Are you fighting imaginary enemies? Your head correct at all?

Why does this guy like to talk about things he knows nothing about? 

Negro_Ntns:

Are we accomplishing goals?  How can we set triggers to alert us to improvement needs in the process?  In the third year you can take the results of the two previous years and observe the control limits and tell if you are in or out of process and make modifications to sustain student enrollments in Universities. 

Why are you always off-topic? Does the thread say "How can we improve test results in our schools?". Superficial ITK will soon kill you.

FYI, there is no tribalism going on here. Debosky, Sauron and I are just engaging in our usual banter.

Meanwhile, I am still waiting for your analysis. ITK that knows nothing except nonsense theories!
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by Dede1(m): 3:22am On Feb 23, 2009
@Negro_Ntns

You are neither a student of recorded events nor physical sciences and engineering. The last time I checked on phrase, Banza Bakwai, the representation of the phrase given by you left much to be desired. Believe you me, nobody is in doubt.

Ibi, the young man from Rivers State, is laboring very hard to educate you but you seemed to embrace truancy. From the trend of the discourse, it will not be a surprise to breathing humans that only data which would be acceptable to you are the ones compiled in Yoruba language by the son of the soil.   

I urge you to rally your folks in order to pay homage to Dr. Jibril Aminu because of the job the dude from north did in a school that is still spotting the name your tribal Icon.
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by NegroNtns(m): 3:29am On Feb 23, 2009
. . . except that you have no clue what the average is for the data you are calculating and neither do you have knowledge of the percentiles and thus you loose grip of the control limits.  

I challenge you to dispute my figures. You have the data set, please produce your own ranking according to percentages and tell me if they differ from mine

There is difference between percentile and percentage  

I gave you benefit of doubt, hoping it was an error and didn't call you out but when you repeated the ignorance it clearly concludes my earlier statement that "you are a waste of time" for galivanting around the web calling yourself an excel expert for standard deviation and you don't even have a clue to know that there is difference between "percentile" and "percentage".  

Like I said, the percentage ranking gives everyone an indisputable measure of who is performing or not.

Percentage is a mathematical calculation performed using 100 as the base.  A primary 6 student can do that.  You do not need analysis for what you did, it's a point and click program in excel that does the arithmetic for you and ranks the data column in ascending or descending as you want.

You need certain data information to accurately determine the percentile for the data set you have from JAMB.  Everything you have calculated and analysed ( grin) so far are mathematical, not statistical!  Your analysis result is a fraud!  

Ibime, you are a shame to the SouthEasterners that are using these charts to pump up pride.  You just dissapointed their cause.

Negro throws Ibime under the Bus!   grin
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by NegroNtns(m): 3:39am On Feb 23, 2009
You are neither a student of recorded events nor physical sciences and engineering. The last time I checked on the phrase, Banza Bakwai, your people from Kwara State constituted the largest number of the group.

I am sure you have also heard of Benin Empire and Oyo Empire. Right?

Ibi, the young man from Rivers State, is laboring very hard to MIS-educate you but you seemed to embrace truancy SMARTNESS. From the trend of the discourse, it will not be a surprise to breathing humans that only data which would be acceptable to you are the ones compiled in Yoruba language by the son of the soil.

I don't see anything wrong in that. grin

I urge you to rally your folks in order to pay homage to Dr. Jibril Aminu because of the job the dude from north did in a school that is still spotting the name your tribal Icon.

May God Bless all the people who in sacrifice of their time, money, knowledge or any means of personal resource are willing to stand up and share in the goodwill of humanity, a true unity of brotherhood for the people of the world. Quite different from people who constantly agitate for war and destruction and division and fail to see any light of hope in their own transformation, much less that of others. Thank you for calling for a homage for Dr Aminu, he is a blessed man. grin
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by naijaking1: 4:24am On Feb 23, 2009
9jaganja:

This thread is not necessary at all. The Igbos this, the Yourbas that? Why all the separations? Did you guys also check which region has biggest numbers of exam malpractices? or are you just leaving it out? Igbo people, you are as African as any other Black man, no better than the other, or worse than the other. Their is no superiority!! It's clear this thread is meant to just say things like "we speak better English than you" and my tribe is better than yours. Is English your mother tongue? Kolo slaves!!! Bash all you want, you know already that I bleeped your shit up!!!.

On the surface, I would have totally agreed with you, but this topic is really about validating the census/population data that has been very thoroughly manipulated, because the federal bureaucracy and revenue is based on population. Apart from the physical door-door head count, school/university enrollement is another reliable method of census.
Don't forget that the South east has the fewest number of states-5, compared to others with 7 and 6 each. The naturally high density foci of the east has been neglected in favor of desert states like Katsina and Kano in these flawed census.
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by Nobody: 5:06am On Feb 23, 2009
naijaking1:

On the surface, I would have totally agreed with you, but this topic is really about validating the census/population data that has been very thoroughly manipulated, because the federal bureaucracy and revenue is based on population. Apart from the physical door-door head count, school/university enrollement is another reliable method of census.
Don't forget that the South east has the fewest number of states-5, compared to others with 7 and 6 each. The naturally high density foci of the east has been neglected in favor of desert states like Katsina and Kano in these flawed census.

considering that the poster has been posting other Igbocentric thread on the politics section, I'll say it's just meant to say my tribe is better than yours and not as a population issue like you pointed out. It's a shame mehn!. Igbos this Igbos that is getting too annoying and sad as well. You guys need to smoke some weed, listen to some good music, hang out with friends and families, go where there are beautiful women and see life in the eyes of others. If you are the only happy person on earth, you'll be the saddest person to ever live. So see life in the eyes of the other.

Stop acting like hippies who want to change the world but all they do is smoke pot. You all want a better Nigeria but all you do is come to nairaland to fight for tribal superiority. I haven't seen as many Hausas coming to fight over this and that here. Just Igbos and Yorubas and we are suppose to be the two most educated tribes in Nigeria undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided . Education is not just going to school to read books, it goes way beyond what teachers can teach . An illiterate can go to school and graduate as an educated illiterate.
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by Dede1(m): 5:45am On Feb 23, 2009
Negro_Ntns:

I am sure you have also heard of Benin Empire and Oyo Empire. Right?

Of course, I have heard about the village empires. As a matter of fact, the last time I paid in-depth attention to Benin and Oyo Empires, they were decimated and constituted free trade zone for slaves. Thanks to the benevolent spirit that urged the British to halt all activities in slavery that manifested in given birth to you.

It is very nice that you opted to the study Yoruba Language else you would have given the south-west zone another black eye on those JAMB statistics.

Omo agbaya, you could have been a good sport but unfortunately you do not have the game.
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by Nobody: 6:02am On Feb 23, 2009
Dede1:

Of course, I have heard about the village empires. As a matter of fact, the last time I paid in-depth attention to Benin and Oyo Empires, they were decimated and constituted free trade zone for slaves. Thanks to the benevolent spirit that urged the British to halt all activities in slavery that manifested  in given birth to you.

It is very nice that you opted to the study Yoruba Language else you would have given the south-west zone another black eye on those JAMB statistics.

Omo agbaya, you could have been a good sport but unfortunately you do not have the game.

Dude, do you even know what you are saying? Village empires but the British and portuguese raided their art works cause it beats anything they ever saw. They fought the British portuguese hard when they came. Stop being critically ignorant . And what empire or system of Government was there in your region? New York? Abeg bros forget that thing!
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by DRANOEL(m): 9:13am On Feb 23, 2009
@poster
if you want to say it,say it all

Taming a Monster

Aja-Nwachukwu
Once again, the decadence in the nation’s education sector is brought to the fore with the release of the 2007 Annual Examination Ethics Report
By Popoola Kunle
To many education stakeholders and watchers, the recently published Annual Examination Ethics and Examination Malpractice rating of states and geo-political zones in Nigeria is, perhaps, one of the inestimable goodies that has happened to the development of education in the country. Within 11 years of it existence, the non-profit organistion called Examination Ethics Project (EEP), has propelled a significant determination by the appropriate authorities to channel all necessary resources to change the decadence that has moulded the nation’s educational sector into a failure of sorts.
For many, the sector’s failure has become an added burden to the problems posed by advance fee fraud, drug trafficking, failed policies, failed health care system, electoral fraud and all the negatives of a criminalised society.
Such analysts believe, compared with the educational standard in countries such as Ghana, it would be appreciated why much needs to be done in order to minimise the negative effects posed by examination malpractice.
Indeed, the menace has become a monster that has metamorphosed into organised crime controlled by syndicates with links in education ministries, examination boards and other educational institutions. It has also been revealed that supervisors, invigilators and examiners are now part of the syndicate rings extorting money from students during examination periods.
Of the 36 states of the federation including the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja, as well as the six geo-political zones, none is free from the menace of the monster called examination malpractice.
However, in line with the country's many policies geared towards eradicating examination –related offences, the government in 2006 launched targeted initiatives aimed at combating the scourge of examination malpractice and campus cultism. The former Minister of Education, Obiageli Ezekwesili and the Minister of State for Education, Dr. Abba Ruma, implemented a number of examination ethics and campus safety initiatives under the Education sector reform programme.
The efforts include the re-constitution and re-empowerment of the Joint Action Committee on Examination Ethics (JACEE), which later executed a memorandum of understanding with All Nigeria Conference of Principals of Secondary Schools (ANCOPSS), Conference of Primary School Head Teachers of Nigeria (COPSH), National Parents Teachers Association of Nigeria (NAPTAN), National Association of Nigerian Student (NANS), National Association of Proprietors of Private Schools (NAPPS), Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) and the West Africa Examination Council (WAEC). The committee was inaugurated by the then Special Assistant to former President Olusegun Obasanjo on Information and Re-orientation, Erelu Bose Ogunmuyiwa.
The 2007 Annual Exam Ethics Report, which is based on 2006 statistics of examination malpractice released by public examination bodies, revealed that there was an increase in exam malpractice between 2005 and 2006. The report also indicates an increase in the value of revenue extorted by syndicates in form of examination fraud to N25 billion in the same year, while the total amount lost by parents to result cancellation on account of examination malpractice in 2006 stood at N21 billion.
This shored up the amount lost to examination malpractice- related cancellations in the last five years to N107 billion. Also, the total number of post-primary exit examination results cancelled by public examination bodies including West African Examinations Council (WAEC), National Examination Council (NECO), Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) and the National Business and Technical Education Board (NABTEB) in 2006 stood at 410,000. Lecturers in public tertiary institutions are said to have extorted about N50 billion from students through the sale of handouts in 2006. Such handouts, purchased from lecturers, is the major conditionality for passing examination in some institutions of higher learning.
Instructively, the Nigerian government had read the riot act to key stakeholders in the nation’s education sector to end all forms of educational malpractice as soon as possible. This is a bold resolve to check the increasing trend and its often accompanying hazards. The move was made in order to boost the culture of reading in the country, hence the directive was a follow-up to the number of blacklisted schools and rating of states by the Examination Ethics Project.
[b]In 2006, the National Examination Malpractice Index (EMI) indicated an increase of 7.2 from 6.9 in 2005, which therefore meant that examination malpractice increased by a factor of 4.3 per cent between 2005 and 2006. For the second year running, the South east zone retained the first postion in examination malpractice, with an index of 11.45.
Eleven States (Borno, Abia, Enugu, Imo, Bayelsa, Lagos, Ebonyi, Cross River, Edo, Rivers and Benue) are included in the states with malpractice indices higher than the national average. Borno State, the Home of Peace, took the first position in examination malpractice with EMI of 17.26, followed by Abia State, which came second with EMI of 15.11, while Enugu State came third with EMI of 14.10.
Analysis show that the following states came first in examination malpracticce in their respective zones: Benue led the North-central zone with EMI of 8.22 followed by Borno from North east with EMI of 17.26; leading the pack from the North-west is Kaduna with 5.21 EMI. Abia came first in the South east with EMI of 15.11, Bayelsa topped the South south with EMI of 12.10, while Lagos from the South-west topped the zone with 11.95 EMI index.[/b]Remarkably, the resultant improvement in the sector is visible in terms of blacklisted schools, supervisors, invigilators and the de-certfication of examination centres by the Federal Ministry of Education– measures which contribute in no small measure to achieveing this feat.
Notably, Ezekwesili had explained that in line with the developments in the sector, government would no longer tolerate examination- related offences. She promised that the education ministry would soon follow-up the action by releasing the list of blacklisted examination supervisors and invigilators who would cease to participate in the supervision and invigilation of Federal Ministry of Education -associated examinations.
These measures, according to The Source’s findings, have compelled schools, invigilators and examination bodies, in collaboration with various law enforcement agencies, to work towards eradicating exam malpractice and cultism from the schools.
Some of the initiatives by the government, The Source learnt, include the ‘Name and Shame Initiative’ (or the Blacklist Initiative), which since it was launched has blacklisted 346 schools that involved in examination malpractice, while 262 individuals (Principals, Teachers, Supervisors, Invigilators and Examiners) were also blacklisted for their involvement in this offence. The flipside of the ‘Name and Shame Initiative’ is the Recognition and Rewards Initiative (The Honours List Initiative), which aim is to identify, recognise and reward individuals and institutions that have made outstanding contributions to the promotion of examination ethics.
Others include the publication and distribution of integrity manual for supervisors, invigilators and examiners as part of the examination ethics and campus safety initiative. The manual, based on previous code of ethics published by Exam Ethics Club of Nigeria with contributions from JACEE members, outlined the dos and don’ts for supervisors, invigilators and examiners.
However, with the upsurge in examination malpractice- related offences, stakeholders have recommended that the federal anti-corruption and law enforcement agencies, including the police, the Economic and financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), the Independent Currupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC), and the Federal Ministry of Justice should initiate serious action against those named in Federal Ministry of Education blacklists. The blacklists, it is believed, will provide good evidence for investigation and action.
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by Nobody: 9:39am On Feb 23, 2009
Now this looks like a Yoruba vs Ibo thingy. I’m sure you’re not counting Yorubas in Kwara, Kogi and parts of Edo state. You’re also excluding Yorubas in the Diaspora. What about Yorubas that have ‘naturalized’ in the north?
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by Abagworo(m): 9:52am On Feb 23, 2009
@9jaganja.i dey with u bros.this igbo vs yoruba thing is getting too annoying.what i ve deduced from nairaland is that igbos and yorubas are partly the cause of ethnicity in nigeria.each time i try to defend my tribe i notice the hidden egocentrism in me and if all of us must confess we igbos and yorubas are annoyingly egocentric.once again i plead with everyone to make arguments constructively without tribal sentiments.we are the key to nigeria's developement.
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by RichyBlacK(m): 10:16am On Feb 23, 2009
@DRANOEL,

Can you give your source for the article you posted? Thanks.
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by DRANOEL(m): 10:29am On Feb 23, 2009
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by Ibime(m): 10:43am On Feb 23, 2009
Negro_Ntns:

There is difference between percentile and percentage 

I gave you benefit of doubt, hoping it was an error and didn't call you out but when you repeated the ignorance it clearly concludes my earlier statement that "you are a waste of time" for galivanting around the web calling yourself an excel expert for standard deviation and you don't even have a clue to know that there is difference between "percentile" and "percentage".   

You are a bloody idiot!

You said my analysis is fraudulent. I said PRODUCE YOUR OWN ANALYSIS OF PERCENTAGES LET US SEE IF MINE IS FRAUDULENT!

Why the hell should I prove to you that I know about percentiles and percentages? Bloody idiot! I have been mentioning quartiles all this while and your bovine brain does not understand that when we talk about quartiles, we are talking about percentiles. Why should we talk about percentiles for a data set containing only 36 states? Any normal person would rather talk about quintiles, deciles or quartiles (as I did!). Idiot!

Again, in trying to prove a point, you prove that you actually know nothing about what you are talking about.

Lets look at at the percentage of 70+ students I produced earlier. I ranked them in descending order so that your stupid ass could conduct any data classification you wish:

AKW   2.646071767                       -  Top Quartile
ABI   2.368741307
OGU   2.359910038
IMO   2.209899864
BAY   1.963001028
OYO   1.748223184
DEL   1.559810671
EBO   1.498181818                          - 3rd quartile
OSU   1.457134425
EKI   1.411150754
OND   1.331542139
ENU   1.08360672
YOB   0.921658986                                       
BEN   0.717221372                        -  2nd Quartile
KOG   0.662077663
ZAM   0.570884872
KAD   0.519906964
PLA   0.429799427
KEB   0.329566855
TAR   0.215401185
NAS   0.209369275                         - Bottom quartile
FCT   0.163934426
BOR   0.153846154
GOM   0.145348837
BAU   0.135869565

^^^^Is that what your bovine brain couldn't deduce from the figures I put up earlier? So why are you still asking for Percentiles? Illilterate!

You have proven that you yourself don't know what percentiles are all about. This is sciolism at its finest!

You made a statement: Ibime's analysis is fraudulent.

In Science, if you say someone's analysis is fraudulent, you must prove why it is so by your own analysis.

You have not even done a single data analysis here - simple reason is you can't!

Stop muddying the waters with theories about process testing. No mathematician in his right mind would carry out process testing on static data. Please go and consult RichyBlack before coming here to spew bunkum!

DO YOUR ANALYSIS AND PROVE THAT MINE IS WRONG!

I challenge you!

Idiot!
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by Afaukwu: 1:21pm On Feb 23, 2009
~Sauron~,

Do not make me believe that you are a closeted fellow who does not even know ANYTHING about people around him. In this regard, you talk as though only Yorubas are in SW universities. The last time I checked, there are thousands of Igbos studying in Lagos, Ibadan and Ife. You may also wish to know that many of the Profs (and other categories of lecturers) in those unis are also Igbo. Or do you mean to say that a Yoruba graduate of Ife is better than an Igbo graduate of Ife, just based on their tribes?. Debo is SWner, and he had this to say in the quote below

From Debo. I suspected that this would be the case - There is such a high percentage of SE students in the SW that there is likely little difference in the educational experiences of students 'originating' from both regions.
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by Afaukwu: 1:30pm On Feb 23, 2009
Eleven States (Borno, Abia, Enugu, Imo, Bayelsa, Lagos, Ebonyi, Cross River, Edo, Rivers and Benue) are included in the states with malpractice indices higher than the national average. Borno State, the Home of Peace, took the first position in examination malpractice with EMI of 17.26, followed by Abia State, which came second with EMI of 15.11, while Enugu State came third with EMI of 14.10.
Analysis show that the following states came first in examination malpracticce in their respective zones: Benue led the North-central zone with EMI of 8.22 followed by Borno from North east with EMI of 17.26; leading the pack from the North-west is Kaduna with 5.21 EMI. Abia came first in the South east with EMI of 15.11, Bayelsa topped the South south with EMI of 12.10, while Lagos from the South-west topped the zone with 11.95 EMI index.

Now, to what extent is 17.26 (Borno) statistically significantly different from 11.95 (Lagos)? Where are the precise figures for the entire gamut of SW states? Conclusion: there are no huge differences in expo practices among the regions in Nigeria; at least the above data shows so.

Dranoel, there are many issues you can raise in terms of exam malpractice. It has one major corollary: certificate forgery. Perhaps, the news here http://odili.net/news/source/2009/feb/22/412.html might interest you.
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by Dede1(m): 2:12pm On Feb 23, 2009
9jaganja:

Dude, do you even know what you are saying? Village empires but the British and portuguese raided their art works cause it beats anything they ever saw. They fought the British portuguese hard when they came. Stop being critically ignorant . And what empire or system of Government was there in your region? New York? Abeg bros forget that thing!

Of course, I understood my package and the way it is delivered. Besides, you are a big and forgettable disappointment to mankind. How could you still yarn crap after you have been taken to the dry cleaners? The only comprehensible word you posted to the context of this issue is “raided”.

In my region, the forebears practiced system of government known as “democracy”. Remember there were different systems of governments. The people were very egalitarian and had no use of one drunken buffoon ordering them around. My forbearers were very much advanced that they opted for democracy instead of monarchy. The present day colonial contraption called Nigeria is having nightmarish days to practice the system of government my forbearers drank palm-wine while deliberating. 

By the way, it takes a well organized upstairs to run a representative type of government. Are you on a hallucinating drug to infer that village empires “fought” the British and Portuguese? The correct operative word for the sentence would have been “capitulated”. 

@Nuts of Negro

Please read the above handout too.
Re: Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You by youngies(m): 2:51pm On Feb 23, 2009
A pattern is emerging here. The similarity between Dede1 and Jakumo IMO seems very striking. Again it is very interesting and refreshing

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

ASUU/NEC Meeting Postponed Till SATURDAY / Strike: ASUU Tells Parents, Students What To Do As Strike Continues / Download National Policy On Education – 6th Edition (2013)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 147
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.