Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,877 members, 7,802,821 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:42 PM

Top Rated Musicians Of Igbo Nigerian Descent - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Top Rated Musicians Of Igbo Nigerian Descent (14149 Views)

Anambra Man's Corpse Abandoned In Taraba For Not Being Member Of Igbo Union (Pic / The Beauty Of Igbo Isiagu Attire / A Picture Gallery Of Igbo Traditional Marriage Ceremony "Igbankwu" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Top Rated Musicians Of Igbo Nigerian Descent by Abagworo(m): 8:58pm On Jun 12, 2015
Lemar

Lemar Obika was born in Tottenham ,North London, England
to Nigerian parents of Enugu State, South Eastern Nigeria. He
grew up listening to R&B and soul music. He used to sing at
home with his brothers and sister, pretending to be The
Jacksons .

He was 17 when he had his first concert at the Junior Jam at
'The Temple' in Tottenham supporting Usher . [ citation needed ]
Later on he gave up an opportunity to study pharmacy at Cardiff
University to pursue a musical career. Lemar had some success
supporting various artists such as Destiny's Child , Total, Uncle
Sam and Usher Raymond on their UK club tours and after some
years, managed to secure a recording contract with BMG.
Following this, he released his debut single " Got Me Saying
Ooh ". His record deal with BMG fell through in less than a year
due to restructuring at the record label. [3] He had to eventually
take a job working as an accounts manager at NatWest in
Enfield , North London.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lemar

1 Like

Re: Top Rated Musicians Of Igbo Nigerian Descent by Abagworo(m): 9:03pm On Jun 12, 2015
Jidenna
Jidenna was born in Wisconsin to an American mother, Tama Mobisson, an accountant, and a father of Igbo Nigerian heritage, Oliver Mobisson , a professor of computer science at Enugu State University until 1995, when the family moved from Nigeria to Massachusetts . Jidenna's name in the Igbo language means to 'embrace the father'.
Jidenna graduated from Milton Academy in Milton, Massachusetts in 2003. He founded a rap group while in high school when he began producing, arranging, and writing. Jidenna attended Stanford University in California from 2003 to 2008. After graduating with a Bachelor of Arts in Comparative Studies in Race and Ethnicity ,he pursued his music career full-time, moving between Los Angeles, Oakland , Brooklyn and Atlanta .
He presently has a breakthrough hit "Classic Man" topping the charts.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jidenna

1 Like

Re: Top Rated Musicians Of Igbo Nigerian Descent by Abagworo(m): 9:10pm On Jun 12, 2015
Tyler The Creator
Tyler Okonma was born in Los Angeles, California to a Nigerian father and a mother of African-American and white Canadian descent. He has said he has never met his father, and spent his early life living in the communities of Ladera Heights and Hawthorne in southwest Los Angeles County .
At the age of seven, he would take the cover out of an album's case and create covers for his own imaginary albums including a tracklist with song times before he could even make music. At the age of 14, Okonma taught himself how to play piano. In his twelve years of schooling, he attended twelve different schools, in Los Angeles and Sacramento areas.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyler,_The_Creator

1 Like

Re: Top Rated Musicians Of Igbo Nigerian Descent by Abagworo(m): 9:14pm On Jun 12, 2015
Tinie Tempah
Patrick Chukwuemeka Okogwu was born in London, England, on 7 November 1988, to parents from Ibusa , Delta State, Nigeria. Okogwu lived on the Aylesbury Estate in Southeast London until he was 12 with his parents and three younger siblings: Kelly, Kelvin and Marian. The family later moved to Plumstead, Woolwich, with Patrick attending St. Paul's Catholic School (now St. Paul's Academy ) in nearby Abbey Wood. After earning 10 GCSEs, he went on to study A Levels at St. Francis Xavier Sixth Form College, earning A-levels in media studies, psychology, and religious studies.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tinie_Tempah

Re: Top Rated Musicians Of Igbo Nigerian Descent by Young03(m): 9:51pm On Jun 12, 2015
op wat d hell is this?_
who are this cus in igbo land we don't know them was thinking u will call people like osadebe Oliver d'coque bright chimezie morroco nwa maduka goddy ezekiel paulson Kalu mike ejeagha etc

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top Rated Musicians Of Igbo Nigerian Descent by Abagworo(m): 9:56pm On Jun 12, 2015
Young03:
op wat d hell is this?_

who are this cus in igbo land we don't know them
was thinking u will call people like
osadebe
Oliver d'coque
bright chimezie
morroco nwa maduka
goddy ezekiel
paulson Kalu
mike ejeagha etc

I will have that topic too featuring Stephen Osadebe, Oliver, Sir Warrior, Sunny Bobo et al. Thats a topic for another day. These are international acts of Igbo descent making non-Nigerian music.

1 Like

Re: Top Rated Musicians Of Igbo Nigerian Descent by Nobody: 12:27am On Jun 13, 2015
copy cat!
Re: Top Rated Musicians Of Igbo Nigerian Descent by Penssuwa(m): 7:27am On Jun 13, 2015
What of airforce1
Re: Top Rated Musicians Of Igbo Nigerian Descent by absoluteSuccess: 8:06am On Jun 13, 2015
Abagworo:

I will have that topic too featuring Stephen Osadebe, Oliver, Sir Warrior, Sunny Bobo et al. Thats a topic for another day. These are international acts of Igbo descent making non-Nigerian music.
They ought to come first than these folks that dont represent, they are musicians but not culture icons like Osadebe or Owaifo and others in that category.
Re: Top Rated Musicians Of Igbo Nigerian Descent by Angelou(m): 9:59am On Jun 13, 2015
OP!!! i'm ashamed of you, so because you saw a thread about international musicians of yoruba descent you likewise went about digging about international musicians of ibo ascent too... but unfortunately for u, no one seems to have heard their musi c before or know them.... are these the wannabe stars you want to compare with the likes of fela kuti, asa, sade adu and femi kuti (a grammy nominee himself) then you must be a looser :-D

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Top Rated Musicians Of Igbo Nigerian Descent by Nobody: 10:49am On Jun 13, 2015
WHY DO IGBOS COPY WHATEVER YORUBAS DO?

Why can't you use your initiative and come up wirh something new. na wa o. After they will say they are original in their thinking.

A list of Yoruba dialects ...............copied first by Igbos followed by Hausas

COPY COPY.

2 Likes

Re: Top Rated Musicians Of Igbo Nigerian Descent by Abagworo(m): 9:31pm On Jun 13, 2015
Angelou:
OP!!! i'm ashamed of you, so because you saw a thread about international musicians of yoruba descent you likewise went about digging about international musicians of ibo ascent too... but unfortunately for u, no one seems to have heard their musi c before or know them.... are these the wannabe stars you want to compare with the likes of fela kuti, asa, sade adu and femi kuti (a grammy nominee himself) then you must be a looser :-D

If you do not know these people then you know nobody. So it is wrong to recognise musicians of Igbo descent or what?

4 Likes

Re: Top Rated Musicians Of Igbo Nigerian Descent by Abagworo(m): 9:39pm On Jun 13, 2015
Nneka
Nneka Lucia Egbuna (born 24 December 1980) is a Nigerian hip hop/ soul singer, songwriter and actress. She sings in both Igbo and English.
Since 2003, Nneka has been working closely with the hip hop beatmaker DJ Farhot, a producer living in Hamburg . As a young singer she first gained public attention in 2004 while performing as an opening act for dancehall reggae star Sean Paul at Hamburg Stadtpark. After much acclaim, Nneka was given a green light to record her first album.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nneka_(singer)

4 Likes

Re: Top Rated Musicians Of Igbo Nigerian Descent by macof(m): 12:20pm On Jun 14, 2015
Abagworo:
Nneka

Nneka Lucia Egbuna (born 24 December 1980) is a Nigerian hip
hop/ soul singer, songwriter and actress. She sings in both Igbo
and English.

Since 2003, Nneka has been working closely with the hip hop
beatmaker DJ Farhot, a producer living in Hamburg . As a young
singer she first gained public attention in 2004 while performing
as an opening act for dancehall reggae star Sean Paul at
Hamburg Stadtpark. After much acclaim, Nneka was given a
green light to record her first album.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nneka_(singer)
Now this is what you should post not the previous shitty people above all in a bid to copy
Re: Top Rated Musicians Of Igbo Nigerian Descent by Ihuomadinihu: 12:28pm On Jun 14, 2015
absoluteSuccess:
They ought to come first than these folks that dont represent, they are musicians but not culture icons like Osadebe or Owaifo and others in that category.
This is not a thread for cultural musicians,we are talking about international artists of Igbo descent. Don't derail it,biko!!
Re: Top Rated Musicians Of Igbo Nigerian Descent by Ihuomadinihu: 12:31pm On Jun 14, 2015
macof:

Now this is what you should post not the previous shitty people above all in a bid to copy
Which shitty people? If you want a thread about native Igbo musicians you can go and open one. This is about celebrating musicians of igbo descent based abroad. There is nothing one would do and you yorubas wouldn't intrude and write nonesense!

1 Like

Re: Top Rated Musicians Of Igbo Nigerian Descent by Ihuomadinihu: 12:36pm On Jun 14, 2015
Angelou:
You are the looser, if you don't know them,then keep quiet and let those that know them celebrate them. Besides, no one is copying anybody here. The other one is about Yoruba folks which is commendable. Consequently,an Igbo individual decided to open a thread about Igbo folks,i don't see how it affects your life on this forum! Personally,i don't listen to Asa,Femi and Fela,does it mean that their music don't sell or that they are not making waves? Pls,this thread is about Igbo artists,don't create rancor to please your ethnic group. Appreciate their contributions to Nigeria or go away!

5 Likes

Re: Top Rated Musicians Of Igbo Nigerian Descent by macof(m): 12:45pm On Jun 14, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

Which shitty people? If you want a thread about native Igbo musicians you can go and open one. This is about celebrating musicians of igbo descent based abroad. There is nothing one would do and you yorubas wouldn't intrude and write nonesense!
It bites you I know

However unless you want to reach out to a mod to hide by post sorry it would remain there cus those people above Nneka and Tinie Tempah are shitty

Tinie tempah is also not top rated. ..
Re: Top Rated Musicians Of Igbo Nigerian Descent by Ihuomadinihu: 12:53pm On Jun 14, 2015
macof:

It bites you I know

However unless you want to reach out to a mod to hide by post sorry it would remain there cus those people above Nneka and Tinie Tempah are shitty

Tinie tempah is also not top rated. ..
You categorically labelled yourself a tribal bigot,so your opinions are already shitty as far as i am concerned!cheesy. At this point,you can post all your shitty comments...all the artist above are celebrated worldwide.

4 Likes

Re: Top Rated Musicians Of Igbo Nigerian Descent by macof(m): 1:01pm On Jun 14, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

You categorically labelled yourself a tribal bigot,so your opinions are already shitty as far as i am concerned!cheesy. At this point,you can post all your shitty comments...all the artist above are celebrated worldwide.

A tribalist is different from a bigot

I won't blame u anyway, you have always had problems understanding terms
Re: Top Rated Musicians Of Igbo Nigerian Descent by Ihuomadinihu: 1:19pm On Jun 14, 2015
macof:

A tribalist is different from a bigot

I won't blame u anyway, you have always had problems understanding terms
Lol!
Makes no difference in this context....aptly describes the intensity of your prejudices. @Abagworo,pls continue.

1 Like

Re: Top Rated Musicians Of Igbo Nigerian Descent by absoluteSuccess: 1:25pm On Jun 14, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

This is not a thread for cultural musicians,we are talking about international artists of Igbo descent. Don't derail it,biko!!
It has to be.
Re: Top Rated Musicians Of Igbo Nigerian Descent by Ihuomadinihu: 1:41pm On Jun 14, 2015
@Abagworo Post Dr Alban's profile too. There are a couple of them around the world. Of course, the list of Igbo musicians in Nigeria is inexhaustible,but we are looking at people that are based abroad. I want to ask other forumities to respect the contents of this thread. People do have a hard time ignoring what doesn't affect their existence!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Top Rated Musicians Of Igbo Nigerian Descent by absoluteSuccess: 6:13pm On Jun 14, 2015
As this affect your existence, make it count. I dont need permission to register my admiration for Dr. Alban or Onyeka. Lele lele o.
Re: Top Rated Musicians Of Igbo Nigerian Descent by Ihuomadinihu: 10:12pm On Jun 14, 2015
absoluteSuccess:
As this affect your existence, make it count. I dont need permission to register my admiration for Dr. Alban or Onyeka. Lele lele o.
Seriously,i find it ridiculous how you guys can never respect or be constructive on any issue pertaining to Igbos. What's all these prejudice and useless rants about? Nobody said you should not contribute but i expect you to keep your negativity away from informative threads like this one!

2 Likes

Re: Top Rated Musicians Of Igbo Nigerian Descent by absoluteSuccess: 10:00am On Jun 15, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

Seriously,i find it ridiculous how you guys can never respect or be constructive on any issue pertaining to Igbos. What's all these prejudice and useless rants about? Nobody said you should not contribute but i expect you to keep your negativity away from informative threads like this one!
You are the one with serious issue, striving to make others villains. I made a supportive post and you kept drawing me out. This forum is about Nigerian languages. You are the archvillain here brother, did I ever offend you? Your energy here is uncalled for. Music is generic tongue and musicians belongs to all. Did you see anyone disturb the thread on reconstruction of Igbo languge by Chineyen? Some threads are by nature 'all-comer' and interactive, (regaraless ethnic token) while some are scholastic and some classic. Please stop drawing me back here, make the thread count, abeg.

1 Like

Re: Top Rated Musicians Of Igbo Nigerian Descent by Ihuomadinihu: 11:21am On Jun 15, 2015
absoluteSuccess:
You are the one with serious issue, striving to make others villains. I made a supportive post and you kept drawing me out. This forum is about Nigerian languages. You are the archvillain here brother, did I ever offend you? Your energy here is uncalled for. Music is generic tongue and musicians belongs to all. Did you see anyone disturb the thread on reconstruction of Igbo languge by Chineyen? Some threads are by nature 'all-comer' and interactive, (regaraless ethnic token) while some are scholastic and some classic. Please stop drawing me back here, make the thread count, abeg.
Lol,did you not tell the op to delete his post and focus on native igbo folks?? Don't you understand the difference between native igbo and international acts?
Stop intruding into things that don't concern you. You have not stepped into Chinenye's thread simply cos you don't understand how Igbo language works. Otherwise,you would have derailed it with your ignorants comments. Am yet to see a non yoruba rant on that yoruba musician thread. Demanding respect from you and your folks is not too much to ask for,is it?
If you want to engage in an interactive discussion,it has to be done postively,not pushing the op to leave his idea in favour of yours.

2 Likes

Re: Top Rated Musicians Of Igbo Nigerian Descent by absoluteSuccess: 11:56pm On Jun 15, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

Lol,did you not tell the op to delete his post and focus on native igbo folks?? Don't you understand the difference between native igbo and international acts?
Stop intruding into things that don't concern you. You have not stepped into Chinenye's thread simply cos you don't understand how Igbo language works. Otherwise,you would have derailed it with your ignorants comments. Am yet to see a non yoruba rant on that yoruba musician thread. Demanding respect from you and your folks is not too much to ask for,is it?
If you want to engage in an interactive discussion,it has to be done postively,not pushing the op to leave his idea in favour of yours.
Never mind, your intellect is nothing to worry about. Next time, don't insult the crocordile until you cross the water. Thank you.
Re: Top Rated Musicians Of Igbo Nigerian Descent by chakadante(m): 6:55am On Jun 16, 2015
Tinie Tempah is from Ezeagu in Enugu state not Delta State.
Re: Top Rated Musicians Of Igbo Nigerian Descent by Ihuomadinihu: 7:28am On Jun 16, 2015
absoluteSuccess:
Never mind, your intellect is nothing to worry about. Next time, don't insult the crocordile until you cross the water. Thank you.
And you are the one with tribalist intellect. I laugh in french. No point insulting me considering you have nothing to contribute here apart from prejudice and ignorance!
Re: Top Rated Musicians Of Igbo Nigerian Descent by absoluteSuccess: 7:54am On Jun 16, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

And you are the one with tribalist intellect. I laugh in french. No point insulting me considering you have nothing to contribute here apart from prejudice and ignorance!
May God continually shower his blessings on AlaIgbo and her great and illustrous people: the land of the rising sun. Whom God has blessed no man can curse. Promoting Yoruba does not mean I hate others, it only means I am best at what I understand most but limited at what I dont, I wont share a table with Igbos offline and come here to insult them because of anything. I don't feel less if I come across as a tribalist, my tribalism is mutually inclusive. Have a nice day dude.
Re: Top Rated Musicians Of Igbo Nigerian Descent by Ihuomadinihu: 9:34am On Jun 16, 2015
absoluteSuccess:
May God continually shower his blessings on AlaIgbo and her great and illustrous people: the land of the rising sun. Whom God has blessed no man can curse. Promoting Yoruba does not mean I hate others, it only means I am best at what I understand most but limited at what I dont, I wont share a table with Igbos offline and come here to insult them because of anything. I don't feel less if I come across as a tribalist, my tribalism is mutually inclusive. Have a nice day dude.
Fair enough....

(1) (2) (Reply)

BBC Apologizes To Emir Sanusi Over False Publication Of Financial Recklessness / Igbo/Niger Delta Women, Please Leave Our Yoruba Men Alone / History Of Ebira People: Outspoken, Talented And Hardworking People

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.