Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,752 members, 7,802,302 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:10 PM

Senators Express Mixed Reactions Over Pay Review - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senators Express Mixed Reactions Over Pay Review (41089 Views)

Reactions Over Rats In President Buhari's Office / #OperationCallYourSenators: Senators Express Displeasure With Their Callers / Rivers Residents Express Mixed Reactions To Tribunal’s Sack Of Governor Wike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Senators Express Mixed Reactions Over Pay Review by Ndlistic(m): 7:03am On Jun 13, 2015
SOME senators have expressed mixed reactions over the review of remunerations of lawmakers in the country.
Speaking on the review, Senator Kabir Marafa, who represents Zamfara Central, on the platform of the ruling All Progressives Congress, APC, said the claim that legislators in the country were receiving high remunerations was untrue.

Marafa, while challenging Nigerians to go and verify from banks how much senators were earning, insisted that some Nigerians mistook constituency allowance, as part of the salaries which the lawmakers earned.

He said: Our monies are paid through banks, they don’t give us directly; so let the bankers come out and say how much a senator earns.
“When you get the correct figure, that is when you and I can sit down and talk but you cannot invent an amount and then tell me how much I should reduce from it.

“I think there is general ignorance as to how much a Nigerian senator earns. I would want Nigerians to know exactly how much we earn; then they can come up with criticisms on basis of facts,” he said. When asked how much a Senator earns he still referred the reporter to find out from the banks.

Senator Dino Melaye, APC, from Kogi State, had vowed to champion a campaign for salary cut for federal lawmakers when the new National Assembly resumes.

Melaye insisted that legislators must begin to sacrifice their comfort and allow a pay cut, saying that money realised from the exercise would be used for developmental projects and proper oversight roles.

Senator Ben Bruce, who represents Bayelsa-East Senatorial Zone, on the platform of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, said that he would support any reduction in the pay of members of the National Assembly, noting that he was elected into the Senate to render service and not to waste tax-payers’ money.

He said: “I subscribe 100 per cent to pay cut for National Assembly members; they can cut it to whatever they want, I am in support of it.”
But he warned against singling out lawmakers for the pay cut, saying it must be extended to all other government officials, who maintained exorbitant lifestyles with the taxpayers’ money.

He further said, “The problem we have now is that people seek public office to enrich themselves, that must stop.
“If you seek public office, you must care about the poor people who voted you into power; the people who voted me into office live under the tree, the rich ones went abroad.

“If we come into office and we live this exorbitant lifestyle, and we consume the resources of our country, then we have failed them and we have failed God.
“It cannot be business as usual; we are here for the real change, for the right change,” Bruce said.

Source:http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/06/senators-express-mixed-reactions-over-pay-review/

5 Likes

Re: Senators Express Mixed Reactions Over Pay Review by modath(f): 7:04am On Jun 13, 2015
We know these legislathieves didn't betray their friends/associates,maim, destroy lives & livelihood to be told they are no longer going to be able to live as kings amongst peasants.

If not for unbridled greed & corruption, after receiving such crazy emoluments for almost doing nothing they still are not satisfied!!!

If not for the naija factor, the "Constituency allowance" is supposed to go straight to their "locality" & not into their accounts, they are just supposed to perform oversight functions on administration of such funds!!!

We don't expect them to accept it without serious objections but all well meaning and commited Nigerians are ready for them..

#Redeyemode activated..!!

90 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Senators Express Mixed Reactions Over Pay Review by phrancys001(m): 7:07am On Jun 13, 2015
I concur,1st TC.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Senators Express Mixed Reactions Over Pay Review by PassingShot(m): 7:07am On Jun 13, 2015
Whether they like it or not there must be pay cut in their salaries and allowances in whatever guise.

27 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Senators Express Mixed Reactions Over Pay Review by STANPASQUAL(m): 7:10am On Jun 13, 2015
Re: Senators Express Mixed Reactions Over Pay Review by Cadamlk: 7:11am On Jun 13, 2015
It is not just singing choruses,all we ask for is speedy implementation

12 Likes

Re: Senators Express Mixed Reactions Over Pay Review by Nobody: 7:12am On Jun 13, 2015
It will take the grace of God for this move to sail through. May God bless Nigeria.

https://www.nairaland.com/2374160/mtn-data-plan-1gb-n1100

1 Like

Re: Senators Express Mixed Reactions Over Pay Review by Nobody: 7:14am On Jun 13, 2015
I see bruce, following d generals footstep. We shudnt look at d party a candidate is 4rm but d content of his hrt.Thats wat counts to me. PMB wud ve done same in pdp(but its a forgotten name nw lol)

33 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Senators Express Mixed Reactions Over Pay Review by Mega2010(m): 7:15am On Jun 13, 2015
Most of them are there to enrich themselves....cut the Damn salary and allowance and that will reduce election violence to the barest minimum

34 Likes

Re: Senators Express Mixed Reactions Over Pay Review by Luggi007(m): 7:16am On Jun 13, 2015
Thunder go fire anybody that kicks against this pay cut in Jesus name.

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senators Express Mixed Reactions Over Pay Review by sammieguze(m): 7:17am On Jun 13, 2015
Amen.... Fire! cheesy
Luggi007:
Thunder go fire anybody that kicks against this pay cut in Jesus name.

6 Likes

Re: Senators Express Mixed Reactions Over Pay Review by midolian(m): 7:20am On Jun 13, 2015
Why is he still referring the reporter to the bank? Why can't he say it? cheesy cheesy

Very insincere set of pple.

45 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Senators Express Mixed Reactions Over Pay Review by funlord(m): 7:58am On Jun 13, 2015
grin
Abeg my cousin just enter house of reps this week, make dem leave the wages till next june at least make I hammer small! Given the same chance all of una go wish the same, as 4 the haters I no send una!

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Senators Express Mixed Reactions Over Pay Review by DjHypno(m): 7:38pm On Jun 13, 2015
K
Re: Senators Express Mixed Reactions Over Pay Review by Goldenheart(m): 7:38pm On Jun 13, 2015
Re: Senators Express Mixed Reactions Over Pay Review by Nobody: 7:39pm On Jun 13, 2015
Na lie....
Re: Senators Express Mixed Reactions Over Pay Review by efilefun(m): 7:39pm On Jun 13, 2015
Who cares how much their salaries are that he had to refer the reporter to the bank, even if their salaries are cancelled just the allowances will over feed them comfortably, but they are just bunch of greedy criminals living large on tax payers funds. Some people go die ground go reject them cuz they have really oppressed a lot of suffering citizens. Oluwa wa

15 Likes

Re: Senators Express Mixed Reactions Over Pay Review by Lousymouth(m): 7:39pm On Jun 13, 2015
Those people mo go gree ooo.... They need to pay pack their loans,godfather nd plan for future elections.... What we need is part-time Lawmakers nd pay as yu go senators.... Not this over bloated assembly we are running...

4 Likes

Re: Senators Express Mixed Reactions Over Pay Review by TheRealAdonye(m): 7:39pm On Jun 13, 2015
They won't agree nau..

Wetin bring them come before?
Re: Senators Express Mixed Reactions Over Pay Review by miqos02(m): 7:39pm On Jun 13, 2015
good
Re: Senators Express Mixed Reactions Over Pay Review by myklangelo(m): 7:39pm On Jun 13, 2015
I swear tht I will bath with my clothes on....if you can point at most 3 senators and Rep that enter the house not because of money but because the zeaal to rili serve de dia body.

I don't disappoint, the 2nd Igbo language weekend tutorial is out in my blog. It is educative in a new way. Visit my blog.

The 1st Igbo language blog is out, it is fun and insightful. Visit, comment, share and criticize.www.odeniigbo..com

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senators Express Mixed Reactions Over Pay Review by Matttthew(m): 7:39pm On Jun 13, 2015
As expected.....

#LetTheBashingCont
Re: Senators Express Mixed Reactions Over Pay Review by huthority01(m): 7:40pm On Jun 13, 2015
The governing party All Progressive Congress (APC) has launched new moves to takeover Senate President Bukola Saraki and the Speaker of House of Representatives Yakubu Dogara, Daily Times reports.

The fresh offensive is to allow the ruling party make up for the loss it suffered in the legislative arm against to the opposition Peoples Democratic make (PDP) which saw APC aspirants losing in the bid National Assembly leadership despite having majority lawmakers.
A caucus of the party’s officials, led by APC’s National Chairman make Odigie-Oyegun after the meeting on June 11, Thursday resolved to regain the leadership of both legislative chambers.
The chieftains of the party want to ensure that Gbajabiamila becomes as House Leader.
While it is not certain who among the APC Senators the party will present to run the Senate’s make position, indications are widespread that the leadership was already in touch with President make Buhari on the matter.

The angriest in the APC on the development in the National Assembly is that of Senator Bola Tinubu, considered to have been the source of strength of Senator Ahmed Lawan and Gbajabiamila, both of whom lost out their bid in the legislative arm of administration.
Senator Bukola Saraki who was endorsed by the opposition became the Senate President
while the PDP’s member Ike Ekweremadu emerged Deputy Senate President.
Also, Yakubu Dogara who was supported by the PDP trounced APC’s preferred candidate for House Speaker, Femi Gbajabiamila.

1 Like

Re: Senators Express Mixed Reactions Over Pay Review by lilprinze: 7:41pm On Jun 13, 2015
Bunch of selfish and greed individuals who are only interested in their stomachs and not serving the people.
They are paid huge salaries yet they are not doing anything to show for it .

9 Likes

Re: Senators Express Mixed Reactions Over Pay Review by DICKtator: 7:41pm On Jun 13, 2015
grin grin grin grin
Re: Senators Express Mixed Reactions Over Pay Review by omenka(m): 7:41pm On Jun 13, 2015
Hahaha. They are already crying. cheesy

Some of these guys are so lazy all they do on the floor is shout "aye" or "nay", read newspapers when proceedings are ongoing, and then receive jumbo salaries and allowee at the end of the day. They don't even sit for more than 200 days out of 365 days yet they receive 365 days pay!! Crooks.

Wish they would even make it such that they are paid per sitting. Then we'd see how many of them would kill to get there.

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Senators Express Mixed Reactions Over Pay Review by Minet16(m): 7:41pm On Jun 13, 2015
mtchewww
Re: Senators Express Mixed Reactions Over Pay Review by SmooshCHN: 7:41pm On Jun 13, 2015
huthority01:
The governing party All Progressive Congress (APC) has launched new moves to takeover Senate President Bukola Saraki and the Speaker of House of Representatives Yakubu Dogara, Daily Times reports.
The fresh offensive is to allow the ruling party make up for the loss it suffered in the legislative arm against to the opposition Peoples Democratic make (PDP) which saw APC aspirants losing in the bid National Assembly leadership despite having majority lawmakers.
A caucus of the party’s officials, led by APC’s National Chairman make Odigie-Oyegun after the meeting on June 11, Thursday resolved to regain the leadership of both legislative chambers.
The chieftains of the party want to ensure that Gbajabiamila becomes as House Leader.
While it is not certain who among the APC Senators the party will present to run the Senate’s make position, indications are widespread that the leadership was already in touch with President make Buhari on the matter.
The angriest in the APC on the development in the National Assembly is that of Senator Bola Tinubu, considered to have been the source of strength of Senator Ahmed Lawan and Gbajabiamila, both of whom lost out their bid in the legislative arm of administration.
Senator Bukola Saraki who was endorsed by the opposition became the Senate President
while the PDP’s member Ike Ekweremadu emerged Deputy Senate President.
Also, Yakubu Dogara who was supported by the PDP trounced APC’s preferred candidate for House Speaker, Femi Gbajabiamila.
Are you from West Germany? Why are you posting this now?

Anyways, they have to cut they're salaries. After all most of them do nothing and can't even spend the money finish.

6 Likes

Re: Senators Express Mixed Reactions Over Pay Review by Standing5(m): 7:42pm On Jun 13, 2015
Typing . . .
Pay cut is the way to go. Imagine taking your car for a car wash and they charge you your whole car except your side mirror.

4 Likes

Re: Senators Express Mixed Reactions Over Pay Review by chamboy(m): 7:42pm On Jun 13, 2015
Awon ole

1 Like

Re: Senators Express Mixed Reactions Over Pay Review by Masculity(m): 7:43pm On Jun 13, 2015
Change!!!!! No more ghana must go. Time to serve not to thief.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Throwback Photo Of Abdulmumin Jibrin & His Brother: "Babes Were Dying Over Me" / Osinbajo Meets With IGP Adamu, DSS Boss, Bichi Over SARS / 100 Companies Bid For Ibom Deep Sea Port Project

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.