Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,550 members, 7,801,550 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 04:57 PM

Nigerians- Breaking Free From Ethno-religious Captivity - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerians- Breaking Free From Ethno-religious Captivity (5155 Views)

6-Year-Old Boy Rescued From Boko Haram Captivity By Soldiers (Photo) / Soldiers Rescue 998 Persons From Boko Haram Captivity, Clear Terrorists (Photos) / 3-year-old Girl Rescued By Soldiers From Boko Haram Captivity. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians- Breaking Free From Ethno-religious Captivity by omenka(m): 3:25pm On Jun 13, 2015
Good afternoon all.

Doing this from a wedding reception so I implore you to excuse my errors.

A couple of days back, I created a thread titled "A call for the preservation of the memories of today's events" (www.nairaland.com/2368500/call-preservation-memories-todays-events). That thread was inspired by the sort of negative and utterly reprehensible brand of campaign championed by the then ruling party against the Person of Mohamadu Buhari, chief amongst which was whipping up ethnoreligious sentiments among voters from a particular section of the country.

I have said it before and I'd say it again- the things we do on this forum could have very far reaching consequences on the mood of things out there, especially given the fact we now live in a cyber age where information, be they negative or positive, spread so fast like a wild fire out of control.

In that thread I stated:
Most of the points listed above were propagated and hammered on by same people who are jubilant over the emergence of Dogara and Saraki as Speaker HoR and Senate President respectively. Dogara is a Northerner, Saraki is from North Central (includes christian dominated states such as Taraba, plateau, Benue, but when the time comes, PDP will call him a "Northerner", and when you say "North", everyone thinks "Islam/Muslim ).

It is necessary putting this in writing because a
time will come, perhaps in 2019, when PDP
would want to replay that ethnic, religious,
and regional cards which appears to be the
only ammo in their arsenal- polarise Nigerians
along these lines, have them vote based on
these sentiments, and see to your retention in
office!

Now, the situation we have at present shows three of the top four positions are occupied by "Northerners" but PDP is happy about it and apparently has no qualms whatsoever with the arrangement.
I wrote this because I understand how Nigerians tend to think nowadays given how badly their minds appear to have been abused especially in the last five years. I knew a time would come when they would want to start whipping up those mundane but potentially dangerous sentiment- but I could never have predicted the script would start being read so soon!!

Someone created a thread earlier today "Northenization of Nigeria" (www.nairaland.com/2376982/northernization-nigeria#34729245) and it seems to be gathering steam because such stuffs happen to be what stairs people up these days- never intellectual discussions. Most disappointing was the fact that members of this forum whom one assumes are adults and educated are the ones in agreement with the op. One even wrote "welcome to Nigeria of 1983"!! How worse could bigotry get??

Let's look briefly to the immediate past if we may: by my estimates, these are the most powerful positions in the country and attached to each of them are the religion and regions of their occupants:

1. President.---------- South/ Christian.

2. Vice President.----- North/Muslim

3. Senate President.---- North Central/Christian

4. Speaker of the HoR.----- North/Muslim.

5. Deputy senate President.--- South/Christian.

6. Chief Justice of Nigeria.--- North/Muslim

7. Chief of Defence Staff.------ South/*Christian.

8. Deputy Speaker HoR.----- South/Christian.

9. Secretary to the Government of the
Federation. ----- South/Christian.

10. Chief of Air Staff---- South/*Christian.

11. Chief of Army Staff---- South/Christian.

12. Chief of Naval Staff---- North Central/*Christian

13. Chief of Staff to President. ----- South/Christian.

14. Minister of Finance.----- South/Christian.

15. Petroleum Minister.------ South/Christian.

16. Interior Minister.------- North Central/
Christian.

Note: * represents uncertainty on item.

Now, out of 16 positions, you have 7 from the North. When you consider their religion, you have barely 3 Muslims.

Furthermore, if we take away the position of the
Vice President since these guys always tend to ignore the position, referring to it as a mere appellation, when promoting their divisive doctrine, we end up with [color=#990000]Only Two Out of Sixteen of those positions occupied by Muslims!

Now, did we see "Northerners" or Muslims come here to allege Jonathan nurses an agenda to
"Southernize" or "Christianize" Nigeria

What is really the fuss here?? Why has this suddenly become an issue even when appointments are yet to be made??
Why are we so bent on trudging along this road that leads to nowhere but damnation?? What use is it having a blockhead installed into a sensitive position simply because he's a Christian or a Muslim, Northerner or Southerner?? Has tribe or religion ever even been a prerequisite for excellence??

As regards what happened in the National
Assembly, did Buhari conduct the election or did
he "appoint" the principal officers?? Weren't they voted by the
Congress that has in its composition a good percentage of southern voters??

I think this is nothing but a continuation of the
"demonise him" agenda the PDP pursued
vigorously during the campaigns against Buhari.

I call on well meaning Nigerians to be wary of those who are bent on polarising us along these lines and accentuating our differences. Ordinary Nigerians have never benefited from these gimmicks, never will. These are condemnable and retrogressive ideologies inspired by greedy and sadistic politicians, propagated by their paid agents, and accommodated and sustained by gullible, ignorant and unsuspecting Nigerians.

It is high time we shoved back this trash in their faces by aggressively rejecting them wherever the sprout, reminding these people how united they become whenever it comes the time to plunder the Nigerian treasury- that is the only time they remember they share a common Nationality and that they are "brothers".

Let's uphold and promote the spirit of the ties that bind us- there's everything to profit from so doing.

God bless us all and God bless the FRN.

Cc: Lalasticlala, Seun, Ishilove.

23 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerians- Breaking Free From Ethno-religious Captivity by Caseless: 3:29pm On Jun 13, 2015
Omenka de vex these days.

Make I first tanda gidigba for hia first!

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians- Breaking Free From Ethno-religious Captivity by omenka(m): 3:37pm On Jun 13, 2015
Caseless:
Omenka de vex these days.

Make I first tanda gidigba for hia first!
These things are so annoying honestly. Haba. When are we gonna grow up in this country?? Nations around the world who are our peers are busy exploring outer space and we are here ripping each other apart over petty issues like tribe and religion!! angry

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians- Breaking Free From Ethno-religious Captivity by Caseless: 3:41pm On Jun 13, 2015
omenka:
These things are so annoying honestly. Haba. When are we gonna grow up in this country?? Nations around the world who are our peers are busy exploring outer space and we are here ripping each other apart over petty issues like tribe and religion!! angry

The most annoying part is seeing someone being killed for the weak excuse of not belonging to a particular religion.

It is hard being a Blackman...

Sometimes, I read the speech of the apartheid president of southafrica, and I see a true blackman being given a perfect description by a Whiteman.

7 Likes

Re: Nigerians- Breaking Free From Ethno-religious Captivity by omenka(m): 3:42pm On Jun 13, 2015
Cc: Passingshot, Donphilopus, Rawani, Demdem, Gbawe, Midolian, Mynd44, Beremx, Pataki, Patrickmuf, Egift, Jarlons et al.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians- Breaking Free From Ethno-religious Captivity by Firefire(m): 3:43pm On Jun 13, 2015

A gag order looming... ?

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians- Breaking Free From Ethno-religious Captivity by Caseless: 3:45pm On Jun 13, 2015
Re: Nigerians- Breaking Free From Ethno-religious Captivity by Nobody: 3:45pm On Jun 13, 2015
40k in action

12 Likes

Re: Nigerians- Breaking Free From Ethno-religious Captivity by superstar1(m): 3:46pm On Jun 13, 2015
Well said Omenka. Well said.

9 Likes

Re: Nigerians- Breaking Free From Ethno-religious Captivity by Firefire(m): 3:46pm On Jun 13, 2015
Caseless:
undecided undecided undecided

God bless Jonathan.

11 Likes

Re: Nigerians- Breaking Free From Ethno-religious Captivity by dayo23(f): 3:47pm On Jun 13, 2015
Nice write up bro

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians- Breaking Free From Ethno-religious Captivity by Caseless: 3:47pm On Jun 13, 2015

I think this is nothing but a continuation of the
"demonise him" agenda the PDP pursued
vigorously during the campaigns against Buhari.

This is one of the reasons I find it so hard to forgive pdp.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians- Breaking Free From Ethno-religious Captivity by dayo23(f): 3:48pm On Jun 13, 2015
Firefire:

God bless Jonathan.
what for?

5 Likes

Re: Nigerians- Breaking Free From Ethno-religious Captivity by Nobody: 3:48pm On Jun 13, 2015
We are talking national issues omenka and his cohorts are discussing tribal and religeon politics

14 Likes

Re: Nigerians- Breaking Free From Ethno-religious Captivity by Firefire(m): 3:49pm On Jun 13, 2015
dayo23:
what for?

8 Likes

Re: Nigerians- Breaking Free From Ethno-religious Captivity by Caseless: 3:49pm On Jun 13, 2015
Firefire:

God bless Jonathan.
How more can God bless a former president who lost the election and also lost his hat ( he lost in London)?

5 Likes

Re: Nigerians- Breaking Free From Ethno-religious Captivity by Nobody: 3:50pm On Jun 13, 2015
We are talking national issues omenka and his cohorts are discussing tribal and religeon politics.

10 Likes

Re: Nigerians- Breaking Free From Ethno-religious Captivity by omenka(m): 3:51pm On Jun 13, 2015
ECOTERRORS:
We are talking national issues omenka and his cohorts are discussing tribal and religeon politics
Did you even read what I wrote?? Did you even read the title??

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians- Breaking Free From Ethno-religious Captivity by dayo23(f): 3:51pm On Jun 13, 2015
omenka:

And the irony of it all is that we the youth are actually the enforcer, very appaling!

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians- Breaking Free From Ethno-religious Captivity by Caseless: 3:52pm On Jun 13, 2015
ECOTERRORS:

If I ask you in clear language why you support jonathan and hate BUHARI, your answer will be tilted towards 'tribe and religion'.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians- Breaking Free From Ethno-religious Captivity by Nobody: 3:52pm On Jun 13, 2015
omenka:
Cc: Passingshot, Donphilopus, Rawani, Demdem, Gbawe, Midolian, Mynd44, Beremx, Pataki, Patrickmuf, Egift, Jarlons et al.
take it easy, you will receive your 40k alert on monday. Your boss wrote two articles this week that made FP.

10 Likes

Re: Nigerians- Breaking Free From Ethno-religious Captivity by Caseless: 3:53pm On Jun 13, 2015
omenka:

Those feebs don't read, hence , their display of stupidity on every thread.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians- Breaking Free From Ethno-religious Captivity by dayo23(f): 3:53pm On Jun 13, 2015
Trash
Firefire:

Re: Nigerians- Breaking Free From Ethno-religious Captivity by Nobody: 3:53pm On Jun 13, 2015
Caseless:

If I ask you in clear language why you support jonathan and hate BUHARI, your answer will be tilted towards 'tribe and religion'.
I don't hate Buhari but I know that the CHANGE they are selling is fraud

7 Likes

Re: Nigerians- Breaking Free From Ethno-religious Captivity by alaoeri: 3:54pm On Jun 13, 2015
What saTANist failed to realised is that hating & criticising PMB won't bring back Jona into power, the only thing than can happen is another NORTHERNER/MUSLIM clinching the number spot under PDP in the next 4years which is unlikely if PMB is still hale & hearty because as at today no northern politician can rival him.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians- Breaking Free From Ethno-religious Captivity by Firefire(m): 3:54pm On Jun 13, 2015
dayo23:
Trash

Pele ti ee

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians- Breaking Free From Ethno-religious Captivity by omenka(m): 3:55pm On Jun 13, 2015
Firefire:

A gag order looming... ?
Bro why don't you simply pretend to be intelligent for a change- just say nothing. It would keep people guessing.

Think about it.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians- Breaking Free From Ethno-religious Captivity by patrickmuf(m): 3:55pm On Jun 13, 2015
It's important to keep track of events as a pointer in any case of attempted misinformation in future...Omenka you're doing a great job...

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Nigerians- Breaking Free From Ethno-religious Captivity by Firefire(m): 3:56pm On Jun 13, 2015
omenka:
Bro why don't you simply pretend to be intelligent for a change- just say nothing. It would keep people guessing.

Think about it.

Thank you.

5 Likes

Re: Nigerians- Breaking Free From Ethno-religious Captivity by omenka(m): 3:56pm On Jun 13, 2015
ECOTERRORS:
take it easy, you will receive your 40k alert on monday. Your boss wrote two articles this week that made FP.

Ok. Seen.
Re: Nigerians- Breaking Free From Ethno-religious Captivity by Nobody: 3:56pm On Jun 13, 2015
omenka:
I will like you to go back to that thread you used as a basis for opening this then you will know that it was opened by tribal and religeon supremacist of Nairaland.

Continue to give yourself headache because of frivolous thread

4 Likes

Re: Nigerians- Breaking Free From Ethno-religious Captivity by Caseless: 3:57pm On Jun 13, 2015
ECOTERRORS:
I don't hate Buhari but I know that the CHANGE they are selling is fraud
How can u say the change they're selling 'is fraud' when it has not been sold to u?

We gave Jonathan 6 years to show how clueless and stuupid he's. If you don't hate BUHARI, give him just 100 days before you start your rain of attacks on him.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

JUST IN!!! Gov. Okorocha Loses In Court / Call Me A Bastard if Ize Iyamu Fail To Win Edo State / Kano: Tinubu Assures Muslim Leaders Of Fair, Just Leadership To All Nigerians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.