Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,031 members, 7,807,063 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:07 AM

Daily Encounter With God Series - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Daily Encounter With God Series (4480 Views)

8 Steps To A Better Relationship With God / The Kingdom Of God Series - Sonship Miracles Signs & Wonders And Being In Christ / 5 Supernatural Experiences You Will Have When You Genuinely Encounter God... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Daily Encounter With God Series by Orikinla(m): 10:52pm On Jun 13, 2015
[size=18pt] Friday, June 12, 2015

The Search That Cannot Wait[/size]

Behold, now is 'the acceptable time,' behold, now is 'the day of salvation.'"1

Following the news of ex-Beatle George Harrison's death back on December 1, 2001, anchor Anne Curry of television's TODAY show interviewed Anthony DeCurtis, a writer for Rolling Stone magazine. DeCurtis talked at length about Harrison's search for a meaningful spiritual life. Speaking of the Beatles, Curry said, "Apparently Harrison was the most spiritual of the group; in a recent interview, he said, 'Everything else in life can wait, but the search for God cannot wait.'"2

I don't know whether Harrison ever found God or not. I surely hope he did. I suspect, however, like too many, he may have made the search for God a complicated issue when the easiest way to find God is a simple belief in God's Word which says, "For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life"3 — and a simple prayer such as, "God, I believe in Jesus. Please be merciful to me a sinner."

Suggested prayer: "Dear God, thank You that I don't have to search to find You because You have already found me, and have revealed Yourself in Your Son, Jesus Christ, and that all I have to do is to confess that I am a sinner, believe that Jesus is the Son of God, that He died on the cross to save me from the penalty of all my sins, and ask for Your forgiveness. Thank You for hearing and answering my prayer. Gratefully, in Jesus's name, amen.""

For help to find and know God read: "How to Be Sure You're a Real Christian" by clicking on the "Know God" link below or going to: http:///8glq9.

1. 2. Corinthians 6:2 (NASV).
2. Dave Slagle, Lawrenceville, GA.,
www.PreachingToday.com.
3. John 3:16 (NIV).

<smiley)))><

NOTE: If you would like to accept God's forgiveness for all your sins and His invitation for a full pardon Click HERE http://www.actsweb.org/

[size=18pt]Appreciating Life

"Prepare to meet your God."1[/size]

The former very popular TV star, Mary Tyler Moore, was "admired not only for her professional accomplishments, but also for the way she coped with a series of personal tragedies. Her sister died in 1978. A year later she lost her only son, Richard, at age twenty-four. Then her brother succumbed to kidney cancer. This was followed by the death of her mother.

"As if these traumatic experiences were not enough to defeat anyone, Mary Tyler Moore battled diabetes since she was in her twenties. This courageous survivor said, 'The pain is just as intense as it is for someone who gives up and gives in.'

"Her suffering had made her more sensitive and responsive; more grateful for life. 'I appreciate,' she continued, 'much more now. I don't take tomorrow for granted, because it simply may not be there.'"2

Gutsy lady. Wise woman. It is well known that most people who develop a depth of character and inner strength have gone through intense suffering, but I can't help but wonder how many of us (especially in the Western world) do take life for granted?

The reality is that none of us has any guarantee of tomorrow. Some time ago on the I-5 freeway close to our home the traffic was slowed to a standstill. All the vehicles ahead had stopped when a semi-trailer slammed into the car in front of it instantly killing all four young children who were in the car! A similar thing happened to me—although nowhere nearly as drastic. I, along with several other cars, had stopped at a red light when suddenly we were rammed into from behind by a heavy pickup truck causing a five-car pile up. I thanked God that I wasn't killed or seriously hurt. My vehicle was badly damaged.

Life is fragile. It is not only important that we don't take it for granted, but also that we prepare today for tomorrow's life after life. Eternity is forever. Whatever you do make absolute sure you have your "passport for heaven" without which you will not be able to gain entry into God's heaven any more than you could gain entry into Australia, England, Germany, the U.S.A or numerous other countries without a valid passport. To obtain your passport for Heaven go to: "Passport for Heaven" at: http:///dm472. It comes without charge!

Suggested prayer: "Dear God, help me to realize that this life is fragile; that there are no guarantees for tomorrow; and that I need to be prepared for life after life. Please help me to obtain my 'Passport' for entry into Your heaven. Thank You for hearing and answering my prayer. Gratefully in Jesus's name, amen."

1. Amos 4:12 (NIV).
2. G. Curtis Jones and Paul H. Hones, 500 Illustrations Stories from Life for Preaching and Teaching, Abingdon Press. Cited in Encounter magazine (ACTS Int. Australia, April-May, 2007.

<smiley)))><

NOTE: If you would like to accept God's forgiveness for all your sins and His invitation for a full pardon Click HERE http://www.actsweb.org/

[size=18pt]Wednesday, June 10, 2015

The Baffling Call of God[/size]

Isaiah the ancient prophet wrote, "Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, 'Whom shall I send? And who will go for Us?' And I said, 'Here am I. Send me!'"1

Another thing I struggled with when I was a young man was how would I know if God was calling me to serve Him in a full-time capacity?

One of the most helpful pieces of advice I received came from Oswald Chambers who described God's call as being like "the call of the sea to the sailor. Only he who has the nature of the sea within can hear that call."

In other words, a man who is "called" to be a sailor cannot rest until he launches out to sea—the call is in his heart. And so it is with the call of God. One cannot rest until he/she steps out from the safety of the shore and launches out into what he/she believes God is calling him or her to do.

A good test is: "Are you gifted for what you believe you are being called to do?" As a general rule, although not always, friends who know you well can help you answer this question more realistically.

Another test of God's call is to try doing in a small way what you feel you are being called to do. For instance, if you feel called to be a teacher, learn a subject well and offer to teach a small class in your church. After practice you will see if you are gifted to teach or not. When I feel I'm being led to do something, I always start in a small way to put it to the test. If it fails, I know it wasn't from God. However, we may need to test our call several times because nothing that is worthwhile ever comes easily.

Be assured, however, if God has called or led you to do it, He will help you. But we need to do our part too. Once we feel assured that God is calling us, we need to be adequately trained for the work we are called to do. True, we are instruments in God's hand but it is our responsibility to make and keep the instrument sharp … and in tune!

Suggested prayer: "Dear God, give me the courage to put to the test what I sense You are leading me to do. I'm willing to do what You want me to do … just make it plain to me. Thank You for hearing and answering my prayer. Gratefully in Jesus's name, amen."

1. Isaiah 6:8 (NIV).

<smiley)))><

Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Fall In ... Live In ... Fall Out

"Marriage should be honored by all, and the marriage bed kept pure, for God will judge the adulterer and all the sexually immoral."1

Guess we've all heard and maybe experienced falling-in-love at first sight. Sure, it can be exhilarating, but let's be realistic. It's really attraction, infatuation, or lust at first sight. How can you possibly love someone without knowing them or anything about them? You can't. True, attraction can grow into love but more often than not those who fall-in-love too soon, all too soon fall-out-of-love.

And then there are those who, totally neglecting God's instructions, argue that you should live together before getting married to make sure you are compatible. However, according to James Kennedy, "A study challenges the practice of living together 'before marriage.' The journal, Demography, reveals that cohabitation ends in separation 90 percent of the time. More than half end in less than one year."

And "according to lead researcher Daniel Lichter of Cornell University 'Serial cohabitation may be an emerging norm as cohabiting unions form and break up. The common view of cohabitation as a steppingstone to marriage needs to be seriously questioned.'"2

For more than a decade-and-a-half I have taught in divorce recovery programs and repeatedly have seen divorcees "fall-in-love" again before ever resolving the part they played in the breakup of their marriage. Over and over we recommend that divorcees resolve their issues before ever committing to another permanent relationship, for only healthy, mature people are attracted to and find healthy, mature partners—and develop healthy relationships and marriages.

Also, it is imperative that one gets to know him/herself and their potential partner before ever saying, "I do." The fact is that if I don't fully know and understand myself, it is not possible to fully know and understand anybody else.

Suggested prayer: "Dear God, please help me to grow and mature in every area of life, and to know and understand myself so that I will be able to know and understand others, and therein be able to develop healthy and mature relationships. Thank You for hearing and answering my prayer. Gratefully in Jesus's name, amen."

1. Hebrews 13:4 (NIV).
2. James Kennedy, Center for Reclaiming America, cfra@coralridge.org.

<smiley)))><

[size=18pt]Monday, June 8, 2015

In the Shadow of His Wings[/size]

"He will cover you with His feathers, and under His wings you will find refuge; His faithfulness will be your shield and rampart."1

A parable I read some time ago provides a penetrating picture of God's wings. After a forest fire in a national park, as the parable states, forest rangers began their trek up a mountain to assess the inferno's damage.

One ranger found a dead bird in the ashes, perched statuesquely on the ground at the base of a tree. Somewhat sickened by the eerie sight, he knocked over the bird with a stick.

When he struck it, three tiny chicks scurried from under their dead mother's wings. The loving mother, keenly aware of impending disaster, had carried her offspring to the base of the tree and gathered them under her wings. She could have flown to safety but refused to abandon her babies. When the blaze arrived and the heat singed her small body, the mother remained steadfast.

Even though this story isn't real, one could imagine a mother hen seeking to protect her chicks by covering them with her wings. Because Jesus was willing to die for us—a true event—all who dwell "under the shadow of His [God/Jesus'] wings" will live—forever.

Suggested prayer: "Dear Jesus/God, thank You that You were willing to die for me so I could live with You for all eternity. Help me to be willing to live for You so that I can be used of You to help win others to You so that they, too, will find refuge under the shadow of Your wings and receive Your gift of forgiveness and eternal life. Thank You for hearing and answering my prayer. Gratefully, in Jesus's name, amen."

1. Psalm 91:4.

<smiley)))><

[size=18pt]Friday, June 5, 2015

Legalism Versus "Good Samaritanism"[/size]

"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world."1

The point I want to make today is that we need to be aware of the curse and devastating effects of legalism which is still very much alive and well in various circles today in both secular and religious institutions. Legalists are basically insecure people who use rules and regulations to control others and to keep themselves feeling safe. It is of course a false security.

Jesus ripped apart the legalistic religious Pharisees of his day who loved their legalistic man-made rules more than they loved people. No wonder Jesus condemned them. And how like Jesus' parable of the Good Samaritan where a Jewish man had been robbed and beaten and left by the side of the road in great pain and distress. When a religious priest came by and saw him, he passed by on the other side of the street. Another religious leader did exactly the same thing. But a man the Jews despised, a Samaritan, "took pity on him. He went to him and bandaged his wounds, pouring on oil and wine. Then he put the man on his own donkey, took him to an inn and took care of him."2

Suggested prayer: "Dear God, please deliver me from the curse of legalism and help me to be like the Good Samaritan. Because of all that You have done for me, give me a compassionate heart for others who, like me, are also in need. Thank You for hearing and answering my prayer. Gratefully, in Jesus's name, amen."

1. James 1:27.
2. See Luke 10:30-37.

<smiley)))><

Re: Daily Encounter With God Series by Orikinla(m): 7:05pm On Jun 16, 2015
Monday, June 15, 2015

Be Responsible—Do Right

"So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God."1

Today's Daily Encounter was written by Commander Eric J. Berryman.

The USS Astoria (C-34) was the first U.S. cruiser to engage the Japanese during the Battle of Savo Island, a night action fought 8-9 August 1942. Although she scored two hits on the Imperial flagship Chokai, the Astoria was badly damaged and sank shortly after noon, 9 August.

About 0200 hours a young midwesterner, Signalman 3rd Class Elgin Staples, was swept overboard by the blast when the Astoria's number one eight-inch gun turret exploded. Wounded in both legs by shrapnel and in semi-shock, he was kept afloat by a narrow life belt that he managed to activate with a simple trigger mechanism.

At around 0600 hours, Staples was rescued by a passing destroyer and returned to the Astoria, whose captain was attempting to save the cruiser by beaching her. The effort failed, and Staples, still wearing the same life belt, found himself back in the water. He was picked up again, this time by the USS President Jackson (AP-37), he was one of 500 survivors of the battle who were evacuated to Noumea.

On board the transport, Staples, for the first time, closely examined the life belt that had served him so well. It had been manufactured by Firestone Tire and Rubber Company of Akron, Ohio, and bore a registration number.

Given home leave Staples told his story and asked his mother, who worked for Firestone, about the purpose of the number on the belt. She replied that the company insisted on personal responsibility for the war effort, and that the number was unique and assigned to only one inspector. Staples remembered everything about the lifebelt, and quoted the number. It was his mother's personal code and affixed to every item she was responsible for approving.2

When we always do what is right, the person we help the most in many ways is most likely to be our own self and that of our loved ones.

Suggested prayer: "Dear God, please help me always to do what is right—no matter what—so that my life will not be lived in vain, and so that when I get to the end of life's journey, I will hear Your welcome words, 'Well done, good and faithful servant. Enter into the joy of your Lord.' Thank You for hearing and answering my prayer. Gratefully, in Jesus's name, amen."

1. 1 Corinthians 10:31 (NIV).
2. Commander Eric J. Berryman, U.S. Naval Reserve, Proceedings, U.S. Naval Institute, vol. 15/6/1036 (June 1989), P. 48; via www.SermonCentral.com. Cited on PreachingNow, March 28, 2006. http://www.preaching.com/

<smiley)))><
Re: Daily Encounter With God Series by Orikinla(m): 7:12pm On Jun 16, 2015
Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Doers vs. Watchers

"Better is one day in your courts than a thousand elsewhere; I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of the wicked. For the LORD God is a sun and shield; the LORD bestows favor and honor; no good thing does He withhold from those whose walk is blameless."1

"Dr. J.B. Gambrel tells an amusing story from General Stonewall Jackson's famous valley campaign. Jackson's army found itself on one side of a river when it needed to be on the other side. After telling his engineers to plan and build a bridge so the army could cross, he called his wagon master in to tell him that it was urgent the wagon train cross the river as soon as possible. The wagon master started gathering all the logs, rocks and fence rails he could find and built a bridge. Long before daylight the wagon master told General Jackson that all the wagons and artillery had crossed the river. General Jackson asked where the engineers were and what were they doing. The wagon master's only reply was that they were in their tent drawing up plans."2

It has been said that there are three kinds of people: those who make things happen; those who watch things happen; and those who don't know that anything is happening!

With God's help, I want to be a doer and among those who make things happen. In college days, I was attending a college-age youth group in a local church. The group was struggling and I was asked by the leaders what I thought was wrong. I said that I didn't feel I had a right to criticize unless I was willing to do something about the problems. Guess what? I got actively involved as a doer. Those were some of my best college days.

Let's not be critical unless we are willing to be involved. To be a doer, start doing something of eternal value, realizing that we serve God by serving people.

Suggested prayer: "Dear God, please help me to invest my life by being actively involved as a doer in the work of Your Kingdom—no matter how small and menial the tasks I do may appear to be. And help me every day to be 'as Christ' to all who cross my path. Thank You for hearing and answering my prayer. Gratefully, in Jesus's name, amen."

1. Psalm 84:10–11 (NIV).
2. Pulpit Helps, May, 1991.

<smiley)))><
Re: Daily Encounter With God Series by Orikinla(m): 4:39pm On Jun 17, 2015
Wednesday, June 17, 2015

[size=18pt]I'd Give My Life[/size]

"You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless, Christ died for the ungodly. Very rarely will anyone die for a righteous man, though for a good man someone might possibly dare to die. But God demonstrates His own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."1

In the October 2000 issue of Decision magazine, an anonymous young man wrote in with the story of how he became a follower of Jesus. Years before he was caught in a downward spiral of drugs and alcohol abuse. His older brother, Terry, had once participated in this lifestyle, too, but Terry had recently become a Christian and that brought about an immediate change in his lifestyle. He enthusiastically shared his faith with anyone he came across.

A few months after Terry's conversion, the supermarket where he worked was robbed. One of the robbers shot Terry in the back. As Terry hung between life and death in the hospital, his younger brother finally turned to God and began to pray. He finally gave his life to Christ. He was able to tell Terry of his decision just a few days before Terry's death.

A few months later, Terry's brother got a job at the same supermarket where Terry had been shot. He began telling a colleague about his faith in Christ. This colleague told him that Terry had also told him how he, too, could become a Christian. Then he added, "Your brother said that he would give his life if you would come to know the Lord Jesus [as your Savior]."2

NOTE: To be sure you know Jesus as your Savior read, "How to Be Sure You're a real Christian Without Having to Be Religious" at: http:///8glq9.

Suggested prayer:"Gracious God, how can I ever thank You enough for the gift of Your Son, Jesus, who gave His life on the cross so that I might have all my sins forgiven and spend forever in Heaven with You. And Jesus, because You gave Your life freely for me, please help me to live my life fully for You and Your Kingdom. Thank You for hearing and answering my prayer. Gratefully, in Jesus' name, amen."

1. Romans 5:6-8 (NIV).
2. "My Brother's Love," Decision, October, 2000, p. 30.

<smiley)))><
Re: Daily Encounter With God Series by Orikinla(m): 9:05am On Jun 22, 2015
Monday, June 22, 2015

[size=18pt]A Compulsive Need to Rescue[/size]

"For each one shall bear his own *load."1

A Daily Encounter reader writes, "My friend Jane (name changed) is broken-hearted. Her boyfriend of four years broke up with her and the guy still keeps in touch with her. She still loves him so much. Jane is now so much pained especially that the guy told her he impregnated his current girlfriend. She feels very much responsible for him. Until now she still feels responsible for him and blames herself for letting him go astray and of not being strong enough for him. How can I help her get out of being in that state?"

Here is another example of co-dependency which is when someone takes on the responsibility for someone else. This of course isn't love. It's need. That is, one needs to feel needed (rescue others) in order to feel okay about themselves. One would ask, "How in the world could Jane be responsible for a man making another woman pregnant?" Boggles the mind! But that's not the way the codependent sees it. They don't see it as a Messiah complex.

The codependent's problem is just as real as the problem of the one they are seeking to rescue. As long as they are doing this, they don't have to face their own issues. This is like seeing the holes in the other person's head but unable to see the matching bumps in their own head!

Among other things, the codependent is always seeking to short circuit the natural consequences of somebody else's negative behavior. Only as the codependent gets out of the way and allows the problem person to face the consequences of his/her self-destructive behavior, does this person have a chance of facing reality and getting the help they need to get well. There's no guarantee that they will, but as long as we keep rescuing them, that's almost a guarantee that they won't get well.

So for all we rescuers (of whom I was the "chief of sinners"wink, we need to face and accept our problem and get the help we need to get well. Codependency can look like it is Christian, but it isn't. It is also stopping people from becoming dependent on God by keeping them dependent on us. It's a sickness from which we need healing and deliverance.

Suggested prayer: "Dear God, in any and all areas where I may be being codependent, please help me to see, admit, and confess it. And please lead me to the help I need to be made well and whole. Thank You for hearing and answering my prayer. Gratefully, in Jesus's name, amen."

1. Galatians 6:5 (NKJV).

*NOTE: The word "load" in today's Scripture denotes a load that one is quite capable of carrying him/herself.

See article on "Overcoming Codependency" at: http:///8p4t6

Melody Beatie's books, Codependent No More and Beyond Codependency are also helpful reading.

<smiley)))><
Re: Daily Encounter With God Series by Orikinla(m): 10:13am On Jun 23, 2015
Tuesday, June 23, 2015
[size=18pt]
Promises, Promises[/size]

"Your kingdom [God] is an everlasting kingdom, and your dominion endures through all generations. The LORD is faithful to all His promises and loving toward all He has made."1

"In the latter days of the Vietnam War, an American Colonel named Earl Woods made a promise. Woods believed that his friend, a South Vietnamese colonel named Vuong Phon, saved his life. In gratitude for that act, Woods promised to name his son after his friend, who was known as 'Tiger.' Sports fans will immediately understand that the promise was kept. That son has immortalized his father's friend for most everyone has heard of Tiger Woods."2

When I was growing up in secular Australia, in grade school every chapter in our English class readers [text books] had a moral that applied to healthy everyday living, and on the header over the door of every classroom was a motto. I still remember one of these that was from the Bible: "Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might."3 We were also taught that "a man was as good as his word."

I also learned early in life that a man who didn't keep his word couldn't be trusted—such was a serious character flaw. Sadly today for many, giving their word doesn't mean a thing. Think of so many crooked business leaders who lie by cooking their financial books, politicians who make promises to get votes, promises they have no intention of fulfilling, and so many of the rest of us who place little value on the word we give and the promises we make.

So I ask myself the question, "Am I as good as my word? Am I a man of character who keeps his word and fulfills his promises?"

Suggested prayer: "Dear God, thank You that You always keep Your word, and that You always fulfill Your promises. Please help me to do the same. Thank You for hearing and answering my prayer. Gratefully, in Jesus's name, amen."

1. Psalm 145:13 (NIV).
2. By J. Michael Shannon, http:///36bvwm
3. Ecclesiastes 9:10 (NIV).

<smiley)))><
Re: Daily Encounter With God Series by Orikinla(m): 11:29am On Jun 24, 2015
Wednesday, June 24, 2015

[size=18pt]According to Your Faith[/size]

"'If you can?' said Jesus. 'Everything is possible for him who believes.' Immediately the boy's father exclaimed, 'I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief.'"1

Earl Nightingale tells about a strength test in which people were asked to squeeze a dynamometer (a machine that tests the power of your grip) as hard as they could. After that first squeeze had been measured, they were put under hypnosis and told they were very strong. When asked to grip the machine again, their scores averaged forty percent better.

Their physical strength did not increase under hypnosis. But their ability to use that strength did. It wasn't the hypnosis that did it, but their belief about themselves.

When we are led to believe we are stronger, we react accordingly. There is a sense in which we all go through life "self-hypnotized" in that a great deal of what we do is determined by what others have told us—and what we have told ourselves—and believed!

What we need to do is listen to what God's Word, the Bible, says about us, believe it, and act accordingly. As the Apostle Paul said, "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" [that is, things that are in harmony with God's will].2

If there is one thing I have learned over the years it's that God never calls any of us to do anything that he hasn't equipped us to do. And he calls all of us to be faithful servants in His work on earth, and to be faithful stewards of all that He has given to us: our time, talents, money, and our resources.

Suggested prayer: "Dear God, I come to You making myself available. Please use me to be a part of Your plans and the work You are doing in the world today. Like the doubting father in today's Bible text, I do believe; help me to overcome any and all unbelief. Thank You for hearing and answering my prayer. Gratefully, in Jesus's name, amen."

1. Mark 9:23-24 (NIV).
2. Philippians 4:13 (NKJV).

<smiley)))><
Re: Daily Encounter With God Series by Nobody: 11:36am On Jun 24, 2015
Did you mean daily imagination of communication with sky daddy

1 Like

Re: Daily Encounter With God Series by Orikinla(m): 1:23pm On Jun 24, 2015
ifeness:
Did you mean daily imagination of communication with sky daddy
The choice is yours.
I testify of my faith and this is my strength 24/7.
https://www.amazon.com/author/ekenyerengozimichaelchima
Re: Daily Encounter With God Series by Nobody: 1:25pm On Jun 24, 2015
Orikinla:

The choice is yours.
I testify of my faith and this is my strength 24/7.
https://www.amazon.com/author/ekenyerengozimichaelchima

What if you are wrong?

1 Like

Re: Daily Encounter With God Series by Orikinla(m): 2:43pm On Jun 24, 2015
ifeness:

What if you are wrong?
. I have gone beyond and too far and you are still a baby and will not have the intellect for my insight. Don't worry. You will get there one day. God is more real than mere mortals who are here today and gone tomorrow. Go and focus on your means of survival and wefare. When the student is ready, the Master will come.
Re: Daily Encounter With God Series by Orikinla(m): 3:26pm On Jun 25, 2015
Thursday, 25 June 2015.

Build Up Your Self-Confidence

God to Joshua: "Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go."1

According to Samuel Johnson, "Self-confidence is the first requisite to great undertakings." This is true for both the non-Christian and the Christian alike but what the Christian needs perhaps even more is God-confidence.

As another has pointed out, "Moses lacked self-confidence when God called him. Had Joshua had lots of self-confidence why would God have told him to not be afraid? Gideon certainly lacked self-confidence. And until the disciples of Jesus were filled with the Holy Spirit they had little if any self-confidence. When Jesus was taken captive, his disciples fled for their lives. Undoubtedly, just as I would have done had I been in their shoes. Had Paul had lots of self-confidence in all situations, why would God have sent an angel to him when he was in prison to tell him to fear not? And over and over God had to tell David not to fear."

Lacking self-confidence is par for the course for most of us for we all struggle with this to some degree. So how do we overcome?

First, we do this by building on our successes and not on our failures—and on what we can do, not on what we can't do! For instance, I may be a terrible bricklayer but that doesn't make me a terrible person.

Second, more importantly, building up our self-confidence needs to come from within; that is, building up my belief in myself. This comes mostly from being open, honest and transparent with at least one or two trusted friends to whom I reveal my total self—warts and all. As they love and accept me as I am, little by little I learn (in a healthy way) to love and accept myself as I am. As we grow in self-love, it is amazing how our self-confidence increases.

Third, and how do I build up my God-confidence? By choosing to trust Him no matter how I feel. When I am lacking in self-confidence, I keep saying to God, "I'm afraid, but I choose to trust You in this situation." Eventually my feelings catch up with my choice to trust God.

Fourth, we also build up God-confidence through experience—by stepping out and practicing faith in God and doing what we believe He wants us to do. As we see God using us, our God-confidence grows.

Suggested prayer: "Dear God, thank You that You love and accept me as I am—and that You love me too much to leave me as I am. Please help me to accept myself as You do, and help me to grow to become the person You want me to be so that my God-confidence and self-confidence will increase greatly—all for Your glory, and not mine. Thank You for hearing and answering my prayer. Gratefully, in Jesus's name, amen."

1. Joshua 1:9 (NIV).

<smiley)))><
Re: Daily Encounter With God Series by Orikinla(m): 4:16pm On Jun 26, 2015
Friday, June 26, 2015.

[size=18pt]Resting on One's Laurels[/size]

"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a huge crowd of witnesses to the life of faith, let us strip off every weight that slows us down, especially the sin that so easily hinders our progress. And let us run with endurance the race that God has set before us. We do this by keeping our eyes on Jesus, on whom our faith depends from start to finish."1

In an article in Leadership magazine, J. David Bianchin used the analogy of a basketball game. In "the 1987 NCAA Regional Finals, Louisiana State University was leading Indiana by eight points with only a few minutes left in the game. As is often the case with a team in the lead, LSU began playing a different ball game. The television announcer pointed out that the LSU players were beginning to watch the clock rather than wholeheartedly play the game. As a result of this shift in focus, Indiana closed the gap, won the game by one point, and eventually went on to become NCAA champions."

At the human level, as we have been so graphically reminded by the events of 9-11 and more recent atrocities around the world, we dare not sit on our laurels or base our security on past victories. "Eternal vigilance is [still] the price of freedom." And how much greater is the need for eternal vigilance in the work of the Kingdom of God.

As God's Word says, "Be careful! Watch out for attacks from the Devil, your great enemy. He prowls around like a roaring lion, looking for some victim to devour. Take a firm stand against him, and be strong in your faith."2 "For we are not fighting against people made of flesh and blood, but against the evil rulers and authorities of the unseen world, against those mighty powers of darkness who rule this world, and against wicked spirits in the heavenly realms."3

May we, Like the Apostle Paul, say, "I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus."4

This, by the grace of God, we can do because, as David the Psalmist wrote, "The LORD is my light and my salvation—whom shall I fear? The LORD is the stronghold of my life—of whom shall I be afraid?"5

For further help read the article, "Political Correctness Oxymoron" at: http:///ysvo4h

Suggested prayer: "Gracious God, thank You for Your great salvation in the gift of Your Son, Jesus, and for all the unfathomable blessings You have in store for Your children, both in the here-and-now and in the hereafter. However, help me not to rest on my laurels, but to keep my eye on the goal and serve You faithfully all the days of my life. So help me God. Thank You for hearing and answering my prayer. Gratefully, in Jesus's name, amen."

1. Hebrews 12:1-2 (NLT).
2. 1 Peter 5:8-9 (NLT).
3. Ephesians 6:12 (NLT).
4. Philippians 3:13-14 (NIV).
5. Psalm 27:1 (NIV).

<smiley)))><
Re: Daily Encounter With God Series by Orikinla(m): 2:42pm On Jun 30, 2015
Monday, June 29, 2015

[size=18pt]"Control Freaks" in the Church and Elsewhere[/size]

"Alexander the metalworker did me [the Apostle Paul] a great deal of harm. The Lord will repay him for what he has done. You too should be on your guard against him, because he strongly opposed our message."1

We've all heard or read about toxic pastors and/or priests, but what about toxic church members? They just don't get the news coverage as toxic pastors and priests do—news that the liberal media love to broadcast far and wide.

I have read that several studies have indicated that it is usually less than five or six people who manage to "run off" the pastor of a church.

While this has not happened to me, I was "shot down" a few years ago and know how painful this can be. This was not from being the pastor of a church (which would be devastating), but from the Sunday School class where I was the teacher. My chief opponent was one person who stirred up others against me. I discovered to my dismay, without as much as being contacted, that I had been voted out as teacher of this class. I did learn, however, that I was only one of the last six teachers who had also been "shot down." That class has since been disbanded. I was also the member of a church where just a few disgruntled members basically killed a thriving church which now no longer exists!

While some pastors and teachers need to be dismissed for justifiable reasons, more often than not there are power struggles in churches that cause pastors and leaders to be dismissed and hurt deeply. I was taught in college that every church has a church "boss" which usually isn't the pastor. It is a person who wants to be in control. This gives him or her a sense of power and importance. However, this is a false sense because anyone who has to be in control of every situation is a very insecure person. Furthermore, without knowing it, they play the role of the Holy Spirit in the church and in people's lives. As Paul warned, we need to be on our guard against these troublemakers—inside and outside of the church!

Strangely enough, in our western culture we call controlling or domineering people strong when in fact they are very insecure and weak. Mature and genuinely strong people are never domineering or controlling. The supreme example is Jesus. He always spoke with authority but was never authoritarian (controlling).

Control, such as mentioned above—whether by a high and mighty hand or in an underhanded saccharine-sweet manipulative manner—is a major problem in our society. It is a destroyer not only of churches, classes, or groups, but also of marriages, families, and personal relationships.

The tragedy is that most controlling people never see or admit who they are or what they are doing..

Suggested prayer: "Dear God, please help me to grow in maturity so that I will become more and more a loving, non-controlling leader and/or individual. Help me to become more and more like Jesus in every way. Thank You for hearing and answering my prayer. Gratefully, in Jesus's name, amen."

1. 1 Timothy 4:14-15 (NIV).

<smiley)))><
Re: Daily Encounter With God Series by Orikinla(m): 4:42pm On Jul 01, 2015
Wednesday, July 1, 2015

[size=18pt]Creative Boredom[/size]

"We want to avoid any criticism of the way we administer this liberal gift. For we are taking pains to do what is right, not only in the eyes of the Lord but also in the eyes of men."1

"A young boy complained to his father that most of the church hymns were boring to him—too far behind the times, tiresome tunes and meaningless words. His father put an end to the discussion by saying, 'If you think you can write better hymns, then why don't you?' The boy went to his room and wrote his first hymn. The year was 1690. The teenager was Isaac Watts. 'When I Survey the Wondrous Cross' and 'Joy to the World' are among almost 350 hymns written by him. Feeling Bored? Let the world remember you for 300+ years!"2

I recall reading about a lady who said to Evangelist Dwight L. Moody, "I don't like the way you preach," to which Mr. Moody replied, "I don't either. How do you do it?" I recalled Moody's response when the president of a denominational college (seminary) in Australia was questioning the value of our outreach work and asked, "And how do you handle your follow-up?" So I asked him how he handled his. He replied, "I don't. I teach." A businessman once asked me the same question so I said to him, "If you give us the needed financial support we'll develop the best follow-up program." He walked out without saying a word.

Constructive criticism is fine—providing we are prepared to do something about what we are being critical about—rather than just being negative and becoming a part of the problem.

Suggested prayer: "Dear God, please deliver me from having a negative critical attitude always looking for the faults and weaknesses in what others do. However, when I see a need for improvement in any area, please help me so that any criticism I give will be constructive—and help me to be willing to do what I can to help fix what needs to be fixed. Thank You for hearing and answering my prayer. Gratefully, in Jesus's name, amen."

1. 2 Corinthians 8:20-21 (NIV).
2. Richard Jones, Parish Bulletin, Good Shepherds Wailuku, Diocese of Hawaii. © The Anglican Digest. Cited in Encounter magazine (Australia) Vol. 38, No. 1, 2007.

<smiley)))><
Re: Daily Encounter With God Series by Orikinla(m): 6:14pm On Jul 02, 2015
Thursday, July 2, 2015

[size=18pt]The Curse of Theological Rigidity[/size]

"Care for the flock of God entrusted to you. Watch over it willingly, not grudgingly—not for what you will get out of it, but because you are eager to serve God. Don't lord it over the people assigned to your care, but lead them by your good example."1

People who are theologically rigid are the very opposite of what God's Word encourages leaders to be. The theologically rigid see themselves as being very spiritual and good Christians. The Pharisees of Jesus' day saw themselves in the same light.

The fact is that people who are theologically rigid are not spiritual at all. They are theologically rigid because they are emotionally rigid. And they are emotionally rigid because they are living in denial—denying their insecurities and inner unresolved painful issues. Some are very angry. Others are control freaks. Some are both.

Furthermore, theologically rigid people who become leaders in the church (or in politics or any other area) do great damage to people both psychologically and spiritually. They keep people immature, over-dependent, and in denial just as they themselves are. They, like the Pharisees, love their rules and theological stance more than they love people. They use people to fulfill their own manipulative purposes. They are legalists who demand that others conform to their unrealistic expectations and, if they refuse to do so, they will be rejected—in some religious and political environments they can be totally ostracized and/or even killed.

God's word describes people who fall back into legalism as being bewitched.2 Remember though; legalists only control us if we allow them to. In some extreme cultures one may be forced to be controlled outwardly or be killed but it is important that, with God's help, one keeps control of his or her mind and beliefs.

Suggested prayer: "Dear God, please deliver me from the trap and curse of theological rigidity and legalism and give me the insight to recognize it whenever it appears. Thank You for hearing and answering my prayer. Gratefully, in Jesus's name, amen."

1. 1 Peter 5:2-3 (NLT).
2. Galatians 3:1.

<smiley)))><
Re: Daily Encounter With God Series by Orikinla(m): 8:17am On Jul 03, 2015
Friday, July 3, 2015

[size=18pt]My Eating Disorder Is Eating Me[/size]

"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us."1

A Daily Encounter reader writes: "I need help. My eating disorder is eating me. I have tried to give it to God, but I am not sure if I have wholeheartedly done this. I want to stop but I am hooked on the skinniness thing."

When under- or over-eating is an addictive behavior, it can be a serious problem. Seeing what the cause of the problem is may be the hardest thing to come to terms with. With all addictions the problem we see—the presenting problem—is usually just the symptom of the real problem—"the fruit of a deeper root."

While symptoms need to be treated, it is critical that the root cause/s are treated and resolved. If only the symptom is treated, the root will pop out in another area. I know of one man who claimed he was healed of alcoholism the moment he became a Christian. In reality all he had done was change from being an alcoholic into an anger-aholic!

The bottom line in many, if not most, addictions is that somewhere in the past, mostly in early childhood, there has been a failure somewhere in love. The addictive behavior is used to medicate and not feel the pain of one's inner hurt of not feeling adequately loved. Besides asking for God's help and praying for deliverance, we need to do our part as well. As we get damaged in damaging relationships we get healed in healing relationships. This is why support groups such as twelve-step programs can be very effective, and why working with a skilled counselor or therapist may be needed and even critical.

As alcoholics need to be in an alcoholic-anonymous support group, food-aholics need to be in an overeaters anonymous group (and so on), where they can be loved and accepted for whom they are. As it is a failure in love that drives people into addictive behaviors, it is unconditional love that is one of the greatest healing agents to deliver one from addictive behaviors. When people feel genuinely loved and accepted, the need to "act out" in self-destructive addictive behaviors is greatly lessened.

A support group also helps the addict to keep accountable for his behavior, for it is only as he stops his addictive behavior and feels the real pain of his hurt or rejection, can he face and resolve the root cause of his problem.

Suggested prayer: "Dear God, thank You that You love and accept me just as I am … even with my addictive behaviors. Thank You, too, that You love me too much to leave me as I am. I admit my problem of _________ (name it). Please give me the courage to face the root cause/s of my problem, and lead me to the help I need to overcome these. Thank You for hearing and answering my prayer. Gratefully, in Jesus's name, amen."

NOTE: For recovery resources click on (in English): http://www.actsweb.org/counseling_resources.php

1. Hebrews 12:1 (NIV).

<smiley)))<<
Re: Daily Encounter With God Series by Orikinla(m): 12:38am On Jul 07, 2015
Monday, July 6, 2015

[size=18pt]The Art of Staying in Love Part I[/size]

"Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her."1

What is more exciting and exhilarating than falling in love? Is there anything?

Sadly, though, many of us have learned that it's just as easy to fall out of love as it was to fall into it. And while finding love and affection is one of our greatest personal needs, why is it that so many fail to stay in love?

Falling in love can be the start of a loving relationship, but lasting relationships don't just happen; they grow. In many ways nurturing a relationship is like tending a garden. Neglect it and it dies. Constant care and cultivation—including the following suggestions—are needed to keep love alive and growing.

Love is being there. One of the chief ingredients of love is to give another person your presence. Without presence, as Dr. David Augsburger says, love receives an invitation to die.

Presence is not only spending physical time with another person but it also means giving him or her your undivided attention when you are with him/her. It includes being sensitive to his/her feelings and aware of his/her needs. It means not only hearing with your ears but, much more so, hearing with your heart.

For instance, recently I visited with a friend who spent the entire time talking about his interests and concerns. I tried to share some of my interests, too, but felt as if my words fell on deaf ears. There was no experiencing of mutual presence—the basis for all meaningful relationships including friendships.

Love is understanding. Most behavior is caused or motivated. Once we understand this, we can be much more accepting and loving. For example, one father I know was having difficulty with one of his two children. One was the "perfect" child, the other constantly rebelling.

"Is one of your children a favorite?" I asked the father. With a tinge of embarrassment he admitted the "good" child was. "Do you think this could be the cause of your difficult son's negative behavior?" I asked again. The answer was obvious.

To be continued …

Suggested prayer: "Dear God, please help me to have an understanding heart and be sensitive to the needs of my partner, my children and/or my friends. Help me to listen with my heart, be understanding and accepting, and always be present for those I love. Thank You for hearing and answering my prayer. Gratefully, in Jesus's name, amen."

1. Ephesians 5:25 (NIV).

<smiley)))<<
Re: Daily Encounter With God Series by Orikinla(m): 12:31pm On Jul 08, 2015
Tuesday, July 7, 2015

[size=18pt]The Art of Staying in Love Part II[/size]

"Be very careful, then, how you live—not as unwise but as wise…. Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit … always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ. Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ."1

In continuing our three-part series on "The Art of Staying in Love" we need to understand that much negative behavior in adults as well as children is caused by not feeling adequately loved. This may have its roots in present relationships or from unmet childhood needs. Either way, when people are acting negatively or yelling, they are hurting and, in a way, however clumsily, are yelling for help. If we can see this and take the time to understand the real cause behind their behavior instead of taking it personally and yelling back, we can go a long way in strengthening our love relationships. Admittedly, this isn't easy but we do need to work at it.

Love is also accepting responsibility. Most of us bring the excess baggage of unresolved issues from the past into our close relationships. For example, the man who didn't get along with his mother and is still angry at her will inevitably take out his hostility on his wife and family. Or the woman who felt mistreated by her father or some other significant male and is distrustful of men will take out her hurt and anger on her husband, and so on.

If we desire to stay and grow in love, it is imperative that each of us accepts responsibility for resolving our inner conflicts that cause dissension in our present relationships. We were not responsible for our upbringing but we are now totally responsible for what we do about resolving any negative effects our past had on us.

Love is more than sex. Love is much more than a physical relationship. It is also an emotional relationship. The man who ignores the emotional needs of his wife and expects to receive a warm response in bed is inviting frustration. Women are not machines to be turned on at will. Sex starts in the kitchen at six, not in the bedroom at nine, ten, or eleven—or even later. A long-lasting physical relationship is the result of an ongoing healthy, long-lasting emotional relationship.

On the other hand, the wife who no longer shows any interest in her husband's life outside the home feels totally shocked when she discovers that one of the younger women at the office has. Many men (and women too) who get involved in extra-marital activity, don't do it so much for sexual reasons but for companionship—someone who will listen to them and make them feel important and appreciated.

To be concluded …

Suggested prayer: "Dear God, please help me to be understanding of and always sensitive to the needs of my partner and my children [if you have any]. Help me always in all ways to be 'as Jesus' to them and they, seeing Jesus in me, will want the same for themselves. Thank You for hearing and answering my prayer. Gratefully, in Jesus's name, amen."

<smiley)))><

Wednesday, July 8, 2015

The Art of Staying in Love Part III

"For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline."1

As we have been discussing this week true love has many characteristics, another of which is as follows:

Love is romance. I read about one woman who had been married for 25 years. She was in her front yard when the newlywed man from across the street arrived home from work. His wife rushed out the door to greet him and they stood embracing for a long time.

The observing woman got the message. When her husband came home that evening she did likewise. The rewards of all such romantic gestures are well worth the effort. And men, don't forget that our ladies love a rose from time to time and other "little things" that make them feel loved and important. A good tip for keeping romance alive, as one person suggested, is to have an affair—with your wife!

Love is also a commitment. Love that lasts is a commitment of one imperfect person to another imperfect person. It means that no matter what, I am committed to you and to your growth. I will be what you need me to be—not necessarily what you want me to be. If you need me to be loving and affectionate, I will be loving and affectionate. Or, if for your growth you need me to be lovingly tough and firm, I will be lovingly tough and firm. Within the bounds of my own imperfections I will always strive to do and be what is best for your growth.

This kind of commitment means that one will not try to manipulate or control the other person to get his or her own way, but will at all times maintain gut-level, open and honest communication. It isn't easy, but it is the way of love.

Love is spiritual. Love is not only physical and emotional, it is also spiritual. For instance, sociologist Steven Nock of the University of Virginia, studied the link between religion (the spiritual) and the family. He concluded that couples who attend church regularly are 42 percent more likely to be still married for the first time than couples who don't go to church.

However, it's more than just going to church that makes a marriage happy. It's commitment that makes the difference. Those truly committed to their spiritual faith are 23 percent more likely to have a "very happy" marriage than couples who don't go to church.

The point is when we respond to God's love, He gives us "a spirit of power, love, and self-discipline"—all essential for cultivating loving relationships. So, if you don't attend church regularly, why not start this week. Find a church where love, friendship, and affection are expressed. This, too, can help to greatly enrich your love life.

Suggested prayer: "Dear God, please help me to realize that among the many requirements for lasting loving relationships is a commitment, not only to my partner, but also a deep commitment to You. Help me always to live in harmony with Your will and keep you in the center of my life and relationships. Thank You for hearing and answering my prayer. Gratefully, in Jesus's name, amen."

1. 2 Timothy1:7 (NIV).

<smiley)))<<
Re: Daily Encounter With God Series by Orikinla(m): 4:22pm On Jul 09, 2015
Thursday, July 9, 2015

[size=18pt]When to Cut and Run[/size]

"Flee the evil desires of youth, and pursue righteousness, faith, love and peace, along with those who call on the Lord out of a pure heart."1

Several years ago many will remember the terrible fires in Southern California that burned some "500,000 acres and destroyed nearly 1,500 homes. Seven people died in the blazes." We live in Southern California where one of the forest fires could be seen from our street—about five miles away. While our home was covered in dirt and ashes from the Santa Ana winds and the fires, we were tremendously grateful to God that we were safe and our home spared.

I've also experienced bush fires (as they call them in Australia) and have seen the terrible devastation they cause. I have joined with neighbors to fight fires on the hill where we then lived. It's scary stuff.

I don't know if the people who lost their lives in the California fires failed to heed the warnings to evacuate their home. However, of this we can be certain, many more would have lost their lives had they not evacuated ahead of the fires. We are extremely grateful for all the firemen and police officers who warned people to evacuate their home.

Temptation—which we all face from time to time—can also be like a raging fire and far too many people fail to heed God's warning to flee from it. Consequently, they end up getting burned badly and many shipwreck their lives.

Even more important is to heed God's warning concerning Hell fire at the end of this life. As God's Word warns, "Then death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. The lake of fire [hell] is the second death. If anyone's name was not found written in the book of life [God's book of life], he was thrown into the lake of fire."2

I don't know where and what hell is but we know that it will be eternal suffering in a life that is totally separated from the love and presence of God, the author of all love and life.

God's Word also warns, "How shall we escape if we ignore such a great salvation?" That is, if we ignore God's gift of forgiveness and eternal life.3

Whatever you do, make preparation to meet God while you have time and accept his gift of salvation and the forgiveness of all your sins. It is a free gift from God who loves you with an everlasting love and does not want you to miss out on Heaven and be lost in Hell. Be sure to be absolutely certain your name is written in God's book of life!

Be sure to do this today. For help read, "How to Be Sure You're a real Christian Without Having to Be Religious" at: http:///8glq9.

Suggested prayer: "Dear God, thank You that You have provided a way of escape from the fires of Hell by sending Your Son, Jesus Christ, to die in my place to pay the penalty for all my sins so You can justly forgive me and offer me Your gift of salvation and eternal life to be with You in Heaven forever. Thank You for hearing and answering my prayer. Gratefully, in Jesus's name, amen."

1. 2 Timothy 2:22 (NIV).
2. Revelation 20:14-15 (NIV).
3. Hebrews 2:3 (NIV).

<smiley)))><
Re: Daily Encounter With God Series by Orikinla(m): 9:29pm On Jul 10, 2015
Friday, July 10, 2015.

[size=18pt]Where's the Missing Link?[/size]

"In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth…. Then God said, 'Let us make man in our image, in our likeness, and let them rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air, over the livestock, over all the earth, and over all the creatures that move along the ground.' So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them."1

"Evolutionists strongly deny the idea that men came from the apes. They insist both came from a hypothetical ape-like ancestor, or a missing link. In their story, man and apes diverged from the imaginary ancestor some seven million years ago. However, there is no evidence that this supposed 'missing link' ancestor ever existed. If it were true, surely some would be fossilized. But none have ever been found.

"Since there is no fossil evidence, let's look at it from the standpoint of genetics. How many genetic mutations it would require for the ape-like ancestor to transition into a human? The only way we know to acquire new genes is to alter existing genes through random mutation. The best alteration science has observed has produced only novel recombinations. Most mutations deteriorate the genetic information and thus harm the offspring. Many mutations are fatal. Evolution would require trillions of innovative mutations to produce man from lower forms. None have been observed."2

I am neither a scientist nor the son of a scientist but I know enough to know that people by and large believe exactly what they want to believe—what they choose to believe—what is most convenient for them. As the old saying goes, "Don't confuse me with the facts, my mind is made up."

As Joshua said to the ancient Israelites, "Choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve…. As for me and my household, we will serve the LORD."3

If you have never chosen to believe in and serve the LORD [God], I urge you to do that today. For help be sure to read: "How to Be Sure You're a real Christian Without Having to Be Religious" at: http:///8glq9.

Suggested prayer: "Dear God, thank You that You are the Great Creator and that the world and all that is in it was created by You and is in Your hands. Thank You, too, because I have chosen to believe in and trust my life to You, my destiny for eternity is also safely in Your hands. Thank You for hearing and answering my prayer. Gratefully, in Jesus's name, amen."

1. Genesis 1:1;26-27 (NIV).
2. Adapted from Dr. John D. Morris, "If Apes Evolved into Humans, Why Do We Still Have Apes?" Institute for Creation Research, November 2006. Source http://kentcrockett.com/biblestudies/missinglink.htm
3. Joshua 24:15 (NIV).

<smiley)))><
Re: Daily Encounter With God Series by Orikinla(m): 6:24pm On Jul 13, 2015
Monday, July 13, 2015

[size=18pt]Takers Vs Givers[/size]

"So put to death the sinful, earthly things lurking within you. Have nothing to do with sexual immorality, impurity, lust, and evil desires. Don't be greedy, for a greedy person is an idolater, worshiping the things of this world."1

"According an old fable, attributed to Aesop, a dog was carrying a bone as he crossed a bridge. He looked into the water and saw his own reflection. He took this to be another dog and another bone. He desperately wanted the other bone so he dropped the one he had to scare the 'other dog.' Of course there was no other bone and he lost the one he had into the water. Such is the nature of human greed. In the effort to get what we want, we frequently lose what we have."2

Suggested prayer: "Dear God, please deliver me from the sin of greed—constantly wanting more of what I don't need. Instead, help me to be a giver to others and not just a taker from them. Thank You for hearing and answering my prayer. Gratefully, in Jesus's name, amen."

1. Colossians 3:5 (NLT).
2. Source: http:///2wkv2z

<smiley)))><
Re: Daily Encounter With God Series by Orikinla(m): 6:42pm On Jul 17, 2015
Friday, July 17, 2015

[size=18pt]Why Do I Yell at my Wife?[/size]

"If you are angry, don't sin by nursing your grudge. Don't let the sun go down with you still angry—get over it quickly; for when you are angry you give a mighty foothold to the devil."1

A Daily Encounter reader writes, "I have a problem. I am verbally cruel to my wife and don't understand why. I yell at her a lot and put her down. Please pray for me."

Dear Josh (name changed), thank you for being honest and admitting that you have a problem—this is the first step in overcoming any difficulty. My prayer for you is that you will ask God to help you to see the root cause of your issue and lead you to the help you need to overcome it.

It seems obvious that you have a lot of unresolved anger which undoubtedly has its roots in a stressful or impaired relationship from the past. This is what is being triggered in your relationship with your wife. As today's Scripture lesson teaches us, anger is meant to be resolved as quickly as possible. Unresolved anger doesn't go away. When we deny or bury it, it will come out in one destructive way or another—not only in damaging our relationships but in physical ills as well.

Could you be angry at your mother by any chance? Or angry at another significant woman when you were a child? Or even angry at your father? Only when you deal with and resolve impaired relationships from the past, will you be able to live in harmony with your wife and have peace in your relationships in the present.

I suggest that you see a well-trained Christian counselor—preferably one that specializes in anger management. And always pray and ask God to help you to see the real cause of your problem and help you to resolve that.

For additional help read the article, "Taming Your Anger" on the ACTS website at: http:///b439f

Suggested prayer: "Dear God, thank You for your Word, the Bible that gives practical advice for every area of living—spiritually, emotionally, relationally, and physically. Please help me always to live in harmony with Your teachings. Thank You for hearing and answering my prayer. Gratefully in Jesus's name, amen."

1. Ephesians 4:26-27 (TLB).

<smiley)))><
Re: Daily Encounter With God Series by Orikinla(m): 8:32pm On Jul 22, 2015
Wednesday, July 22, 2015

[size=18pt]When All Else Fails[/size]

"When he [the prodigal son] came to his senses, he said, 'How many of my father's hired men have food to spare, and here I am starving to death! I will set out and go back to my father and say to him: Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son; make me like one of your hired men.' So he got up and went to his father."1

In his One-Minute Uplift email newsletter Rick Ezell writes, "In the highlands of Scotland sheep often wander off into the rocks and get into places that they can't get out of. The grass on these mountains tastes very sweet, and the sheep like it. They will jump down ten or twelve feet to a ledge with a patch of grass, and then they can't jump back up again. The shepherd hears them bleating in distress. The shepherd may leave them there for days, until they have eaten all the grass and are so faint that they cannot stand. Only then will the shepherd put a rope around the sheep and pull them up out of the jaws of death.

"Why doesn't the shepherd attempt a rescue when the sheep first get into the predicament? The sheep are so foolish and so focused on eating that they would dash away from the shepherd, go over the precipice and destroy themselves.

"Such is the case with us. Sometimes we need to experience a little bit of 'death' before we can enjoy the abundance of life. The Lord will rescue us the moment we have given up trying, realizing that we can't liberate ourselves, and cry to him for help."2

For many of us, like the prodigal son, it's only when all else fails and we hit rock bottom, that we turn to God for help but that's a good thing because only God can rescue us from the jaws of eternal death and damnation.

Suggested prayer: "Dear God, thank You that when I finally admit that I have a problem—that I am a sinner—and need help, I discover that You have been waiting patiently for me to come to You so You could rescue and save me from the tragic consequences of sin which is eternal death and separation from You. Thank You for hearing and answering my prayer. Gratefully in Jesus's name, amen."

1. Luke 15:17-20 (NIV).
2. Rick Ezell, Defining Moments, © 2001. Cited on PreachingNow Ezine. www.preaching.com/preaching/preachingnow.html.

NOTE: For help to know God be sure to read, "How to Be Sure You're a real Christian Without Having to Be Religious" at: http:///8glq9.

<smiley)))><
Re: Daily Encounter With God Series by Orikinla(m): 1:45pm On Jul 27, 2015
Monday, July 27, 2015

[size=18pt]Prosperity Gospel[/size]

"I [Jesus] have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble [tribulation]. But take heart! I have overcome the world."1

Daily Encounter reader from a much poorer country than North America asks, "Can you please write a message on prosperity teachings. [Some preachers have said or implied] … that it is a sin to be poor and when you are prosperous [have financial wealth] you are blessed."

Amazing isn't it?

If God has gifted me to be a good businessman and to make money, and I can do that honestly, then I'd say it would be my responsibility to make money … not for personal indulgences but so I would be able to give generously in supporting the Lord's work on earth.

I for one, however, don't have that gift or that calling. Neither am I a gifted fundraiser, so financing God's work for me has always been a challenge and probably will be until the day I retire or die … whichever comes first!

However, to some degree I have been gifted with an ability to communicate. Thus it is my responsibility to be trained in this area and communicate God's truth and the gospel to the best of my ability. Not to do so would be a sin for me as the Bible says, "Anyone, then, who knows the good he ought to do and doesn't do it, sins."2

To claim that everybody is gifted to make money or to communicate effectively is not true—and, if claiming this to be true, could lead many to doubt God's blessing on their lives. The same goes for those who are led to believe that it is God's will for every Christian to be financially prosperous.

Think of Jesus, for example. Was He prosperous? Not at all. Were the twelve disciples prosperous? Matthew, the tax collector, may have been at one time but through questionable methods. Peter and the other fishermen and disciples probably made just enough to make ends meet. True, Moses came from a well-to-do background, having grown up in Pharaoh's household, but he gave it all up to serve God and lead the people of Israel.

If, however, prosperity is God's will for everyone, then let's take this message to the poverty-stricken parts of the world where untold thousands of people are dying of malnutrition. We all know the fallacy of this suggestion.

For the rest of us less prosperous ordinary folks, let's do the best we can with the gifts God has given to us to help make our world a better place in which to live.

Suggested prayer: "Dear God, please grant that I will always be a messenger of truth and never be misled by false promises from false prophets who claim to be speaking in God's name. If ever I teach a false message, please reveal that to me so it can be corrected immediately. Thank You for hearing and answering my prayer. Gratefully, in Jesus's name. Amen."

1. John 16:33 (NIV).
2. James 4:17 (NIV).

<smiley)))><
Re: Daily Encounter With God Series by Orikinla(m): 11:52pm On Jul 28, 2015
Tuesday, July 28, 2015
[size=18pt]
Resolving the Effects of Abuse[/size]

"And whosoever shall offend one of these little ones that believe in me, it is better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and he were cast into the sea."1

A Daily Encounter reader writes, "Could you please lend some encouragement for those of us who were sexually abused as young girls by a family member. I know it is a 'taboo' subject, but in my case, because of the abuse, I am still unmarried and I don't understand why God has not answered my lifelong prayer for a mate, especially since he knows the crippling emotional pain that I faced and how desperately I need male love."

I have often wondered if the words of Jesus in today's Scripture verse didn't apply to adults who abuse small children. Child abuse, whether it is physical, emotional or sexual is a grave offense against helpless children and is psychologically very damaging—often extremely damaging.

In my work, I have worked with many a victim and have seen first-hand some of the devastating results. One woman had been used in child pornography by one of her parents in order to make money! The struggles this victim has gone through in both her personal life and marriage have been horrific. Fortunately she is both committed to God and to the healing process, and after years of hard work is now a qualified counselor herself helping others.

Those of us in the work of ministering to others could give numerous other examples. Sad to say, abuse is in the church as well as outside of it. The reality is that hurt people hurt people. And so often parents who themselves were abused as children, unless they resolve their hurt, tend to abuse others including their own offspring.

So how does an abused victim overcome her or his problem?

First, prayer. Some say that God uses prayer and prayer alone to bring abuse victims healing. I wish this were always true. However, I haven't personally witnessed this. Yes, I believe solidly in prayer and I believe strongly in making prayer the foundation for any and all healing. But we need to pray the right prayer; that is, if I am an abuse victim, I need to ask God to confront me with the truth of what I may still be contributing in any way to my situation, to reveal to me all that I need to know about my problem, and lead me to the help I need to face and resolve all of my self-destructive feelings and beliefs and overcome them.

Second, I need to quit the blame and self-pity game. Yes, we need to acknowledge the fact that we were abused, and deal with and resolve our hurt and anger so that we get to the point of forgiveness. If I stay in the self-pity blame game, I will B – LAME.

Third, most abuse victims need qualified and skillful counseling to help them work through their struggle, get to their buried feelings and express them creatively, and then to reprogram their feelings, negative thinking, and beliefs about themselves so they learn to trust again. This is not easy. It needs God's help, determination, and a solid commitment to healing, growth and recovery, and most often the help of a skilled and qualified counselor.

Suggested prayer: "Dear Heavenly Father, there is such a need for the healing of wounded, broken souls all around us. Please use me to be a 'wounded' healer and grant that the Church will become a healing center for us all. Thank You for hearing and answering my prayer. Gratefully, in Jesus's name. Amen."

1. Mark 9:42 (KJV).

<smiley)))><
Re: Daily Encounter With God Series by Orikinla(m): 5:35pm On Jul 30, 2015
Wednesday, July 29, 2015

[size=18pt]Hope and Endurance[/size]

"For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope."1

You may have read the story about the "piano teacher who was affectionately known as Herman. One night at a university concert, a distinguished piano player suddenly became ill while performing an extremely difficult piece. No sooner had the artist retired from the stage when Herman rose from his seat in the audience, walked on stage, sat down at the piano and with great mastery completed the performance.

"Later that evening, at a party, one of the students asked Herman how he was able to perform such a demanding piece so beautifully without notice and with no rehearsal. He replied, 'In 1939, when I was a budding young concert pianist, I was arrested and placed in a Nazi concentration camp. Putting it mildly, the future looked bleak. But I knew that in order to keep the flicker of hope alive that I might someday play again, I needed to practice every day. I began by fingering a piece from my repertoire on my bare board bed late one night.

The next night I added a second piece and soon I was running through my entire repertoire. I did this every night for five years. It so happens that the piece I played tonight at the concert hall was part of that repertoire. That constant practice is what kept my hope alive. Every day I renewed my hope that I would one day be able to play my music again on a real piano, and in freedom.'"

I'm sure that some of our readers at this time are facing great hardships and may even be in peril for their lives. The Apostle Paul knew what it was like to experience great hardships, shipwreck, whippings, and being thrown into prison for his faith. He was the one who wrote today's Scripture verse encouraging the Christians in Rome (who, if they weren't going through persecution at the time, would soon be) to find encouragement and hope in the Word of God. May you and I do the same.

Suggested prayer: "Dear God, in times of hardship, despair and suffering, please help me to keep practicing my faith every day, putting my trust entirely in You. And please bring me through triumphantly to the last day when I will see You face to face and know You as You are. Grant that this hope and the encouragement from Your Word will keep me enduring to the end. Gratefully, in Jesus's name. Amen."

1. Romans 15:4 (NIV).

<smiley)))><
Re: Daily Encounter With God Series by Orikinla(m): 5:41pm On Jul 30, 2015
Thursday, July 30, 2015

[size=18pt]
Relational Living

"The Lord God said, 'It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a helper suitable for him.'"1[/size]

It is good to remind ourselves that God created mankind primarily for relationships from which come eighty percent of life's satisfaction. To live meaningfully we need to be in meaningful relationships, without which life can be very empty and lonely.

If we don't know how to relate in healthy ways, we don't know how to live fully, and we can impair both our mental and physical health as a result. Or another way to put it: to fully live we need to fully love!

It helps us to remember that God Himself is in relationship through the Trinity (God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit). Also, Jesus started the Christian movement with relationships: "He [Jesus] appointed twelve…that they might be with Him."2

Furthermore, practically all of Christ's ministry was done while in relationship with His twelve disciples.

As a Christian, our first need is to keep in a right relationship with God, which begins by accepting Jesus Christ as our personal Savior and Lord. Trying to live the Christian life without this is like trying to go east by traveling west.

We then need close, healthy relationships with people. Only then can we realize some of the deepest longings of the human heart. This doesn't mean that we are to be over-dependent on others, codependent with them, or independent from them, but interdependent with them.

The reality is that we need people. Barbra Streisand expressed it well in the song: "People who need people are the luckiest people in the world."

Furthermore, the degree of our mental health, emotional maturity, and spiritual well-being will be reflected in the health of our close relationships. God's command to "love one another" is not a sentimental suggestion. It's an imperative.

Suggested prayer: "Dear God, please help me first of all to have a right relationship with You and then to resolve any character issues in my life that may hinder my having healthy relationships with others. Help me to love You and others more fully and myself in a healthy way. Thank You for hearing and answering my prayer. Gratefully, in Jesus's name. Amen."

1. Genesis 2:18 (NIV).
2. Mark 3:14 (NIV).

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Daily Encounter With God Series by Orikinla(m): 9:33pm On Aug 04, 2015
Tuesday, August 4, 2015

[size=18pt]Living in Harmony with Your "Bumper Sticker"

"By their fruits [actions] you will know them." – Jesus[/size]

The story is told how a driver was being tailgated by a stressed-out driver on a busy boulevard. Suddenly the light turns yellow just in front of her. She does the right thing and stops even though she could have beaten the red light by accelerating through the intersection.

The tailgating driver hits the roof, and the horn, and yells in frustration as he misses the chance to get through the intersection. As he is still in mid-rant, he hears a tap on his window and looks up into the face of a police officer.

The officer orders him to exit his car with his hands up. He takes him to the police station where he is searched, fingerprinted, photographed, and placed in a cell. After a couple of hours, a policeman opens the cell door, and escorts him back to the booking desk where the arresting officer is waiting with his personal effects.

The officer says, "I'm very sorry for this mistake. You see, I pulled up behind your car while you were blowing your horn, shaking your fist and yelling at the driver in front of you. I noticed the 'Choose Life' license plate holder, the 'What Would Jesus Do' bumper sticker, the 'Follow Me to Sunday School' bumper sticker, and the chrome plated Christian fish emblem on the trunk. Naturally I assumed you had stolen the car."

Suggested Prayer: "Dear God, please help me always to so live that my life and actions will always bring glory to Your name—and not ridicule. Thank You for hearing and answering my prayer. Gratefully, in Jesus's name, amen."

1. Matthew 7:20 (NKJV).
2. Author Unknown

<smiley)))><
Re: Daily Encounter With God Series by Orikinla(m): 3:02pm On Aug 07, 2015
Friday, August 7, 2015

[size=18pt]
Do It Now

"Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation."1[/size]

Remember

Remember the day I borrowed your brand new car
and I dented it?
I thought you'd kill me, but you didn't.
And remember the time I dragged you to the beach,
and you said it would rain, and it did?
I thought you'd say, "I told you so," but
you didn't.
Do you remember the time I flirted with all the
guys to make you zealous, and you were?
I thought you'd leave me, but you didn't.
Do you remember the time I spilled strawberry pie
all over your car rug?
I thought you'd hit me, but you didn't.
And remember the time I forgot to tell you the
dance was formal and you showed up in jeans?
I thought you'd drop me, but you didn't.
Yes, there were lots of things you didn't do;
But you put up with me, and you loved me, and you
protected me.
There were lots of things I wanted to make up to
you when you returned from Vietnam.
But you didn't.2

Suggested Prayer: "Dear God, please help me to be fully aware of every issue in my life that I need to take care of, every impaired relationship I need to resolve, every responsibility I need to fulfill, and be absolutely certain that I have made my life right with You, and have resolved every one of above matters so that my life will be in order when my time on earth is ended—and I stand before You to give an account of my life. Thank You for hearing and answering my prayer. Gratefully, in Jesus's name, amen."

NOTE: If you are not absolutely certain that your life is right with God and that you have received His gift of salvation, please read the article, "How to be Sure You're a Real Christian," at: www.actsweb.org/christian.

1. 2 Corinthians 6:2 (NKJV).
2. Author Unknown

<smiley)))><
Re: Daily Encounter With God Series by Orikinla(m): 9:26am On Aug 11, 2015
[size=18pt]Monday, August 10, 2015

The Fruit of a Deeper Root

"People who conceal their sins will not prosper, but if they confess and turn from them, they will receive mercy."1[/size]

Problems. Nobody is immune from committing sins. However, often the problems we see are not the problems that are! For instance, a problem, whether it is emotional, spiritual or physical, is often the symptom of a deeper problem; that is, "the fruit of a deeper root." The root cause may be an unresolved emotional, spiritual or moral problem which can express itself in any one of a number of ways such as the following: relational conflicts, worry, stress, anxiety, insomnia, depression, addictions, spiritual dryness, physical sickness, abuse, etc., etc.

Many physical symptoms can be symbolic. For example, ulcers may be caused not so much by what we eat but by what is eating us. Tension headaches can be caused by "jamming up" anger in our head. Aching shoulders may be caused by our feeling that we are burdened by a heavy load. And if I have a pain in the neck, I may be one or have someone in my life whom I feel is a "pain in the neck."

Confession opens the door for recovery: not only from the symptoms but also from the causes.

After David confessed his sin, he said, "Oh, what joy for those whose disobedience is forgiven, whose sin is put out of sight! Yes, what joy for those whose record the Lord has cleared of guilt, whose lives are lived in complete honesty! When I refused to confess my sin, my body wasted away, and I groaned all day long. Day and night your hand of discipline was heavy on me. My strength evaporated like water in the summer heat. Finally, I confessed all my sins to you and stopped trying to hide my guilt. I said to myself, 'I will confess my rebellion to the Lord.' And you forgave me! All my guilt is gone."2

A good example to follow.

Suggested prayer: "Dear God, here's the symptom/s (be specific_____________name it/them) in my life. I acknowledge these to you. Please give me the courage to face the cause/s of these and lead me to the help I need to resolve them. Thank you for hearing and answering my prayer. Gratefully, in Jesus' name, amen."

1. Proverbs 28:13 (NLT).
2. Psalm 32:1-5 (NLT).

<smiley)))><
Re: Daily Encounter With God Series by Orikinla(m): 11:04am On Aug 17, 2015
Monday, August 17, 2015

[size=18pt]Don't Forget to Pray

"The men of Israel sampled their provisions but did not inquire of the Lord."1[/size]

After the days of Moses when the armies of Israel, led by Joshua, were conquering the Promised Land marked out for them by God, the surrounding kings and nations were understandably terrified. This was because God was with the Israelites giving them great victories wherever they went.

However, the men of Gibeon, a nearby country, resorted to trickery and outsmarted Joshua. They sent a delegation to Joshua with the appearance of having come from a distant land so they could deceive Joshua into making a treaty with them. Their donkeys carried worn-out sacks and old wineskins that were cracked and had been mended. They wore old clothes, and worn and patched sandals, and the bread they carried with them was dry and moldy.

Their ruse worked. Joshua signed a treaty with them and only afterwards discovered they were a neighboring people among those countries God had told Joshua to destroy because of their wickedness. They had to live with the consequences as a result.

Joshua's mistake was that he made this treaty without praying and inquiring of the Lord! An extremely valuable lesson for all of us to learn!

Suggested prayer: "Dear God, thank You for including this story in Your Word, the Bible, as a graphic reminder for me to seek Your guidance and direction for every aspect of my life, so that I will continuously live in harmony with Your perfect will. Thank You for hearing and answering my prayer. Gratefully, in Jesus's name, amen."

1. Joshua 9:14 (NIV).

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Largest Church Auditorium In Nigeria Can Sit Over 2000 Football Stadiums / Wtchcraft And Dark Manipulations / Why Are All These General Overseers Bringing Their Kids Into Pastoring

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 245
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.