Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,639 members, 7,801,852 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:04 AM

"Wife Bonuses" - Allowances Of The Upper East Side - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / "Wife Bonuses" - Allowances Of The Upper East Side (697 Views)

. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

"Wife Bonuses" - Allowances Of The Upper East Side by Nobody: 12:48pm On Jun 14, 2015
A New York Times writer put together an article on the wives of rich and powerful men in the upper east side. There's a lot of absurdity in the "national geographic" way the writer describes their lives and an obvious liberal, feminist tilt given the publication, but there is a hidden gem inside that is absolutely hilarious.

"And then there were the wife bonuses.
I was thunderstruck when I heard mention of a "bonus" over coffee. Later I overheard someone who didn't work say she would buy a table at an event once her bonus was set. A woman with a business degree but no job mentioned waiting for her "year-end" to shop for clothing. Further probing revealed that the annual wife bonus was not an uncommon practice in this tribe.

A wife bonus, I was told, might be hammered out in a pre-nup or post-nup, and distributed on the basis of not only how well her husband's fund had done but her own performance -- how well she managed the home budget, whether the kids got into a "good" school -- the same way their husbands were rewarded at investment banks. In turn these bonuses were a ticket to a modicum of financial independence and participation in a social sphere where you don't just go to lunch, you buy a $10,000 table at the benefit luncheon a friend is hosting.

Women who didn't get them joked about possible sexual performance metrics. Women who received them usually retreated, demurring when pressed to discuss it further, proof to an anthropologist that a topic is taboo, culturally loaded and dense with meaning."

We often ramble on about bonus season for analysts and associates here on wall street but who knew that the wives of the BSDs have the same set up? I love that instead of an "allowance" or a "budget" these financiers obviously went with the "bonus" model - putting their creativity on display. The idea that it was hammered out during a pre-nup too makes me really hope it isn't as simple as say, 25% of the husband's income, but instead features a complicated waterfall model where the wife's take home changed based on certain benchmarks.

Just fantastic. God bless America.

1 Like

Re: "Wife Bonuses" - Allowances Of The Upper East Side by hahn(m): 1:17pm On Jun 14, 2015
Where exactly is the "upper east side"?
Re: "Wife Bonuses" - Allowances Of The Upper East Side by Nobody: 1:19pm On Jun 14, 2015
hahn:
Where exactly is the "upper east side"?
Coordinates: 40°46′09″N 73°57′56″W
Re: "Wife Bonuses" - Allowances Of The Upper East Side by hahn(m): 1:22pm On Jun 14, 2015
RichardFuld:

Coordinates: 40°46′09″N 73°57′56″W

Sambisa?

1 Like

Re: "Wife Bonuses" - Allowances Of The Upper East Side by Nobody: 1:23pm On Jun 14, 2015

1 Like

Re: "Wife Bonuses" - Allowances Of The Upper East Side by hahn(m): 1:27pm On Jun 14, 2015
RichardFuld:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upper_East_Side

Better. Thanks for the insight. I assumed it was somewhere in Africa when "tribe" was mentioned. I was actually confused

(1) (Reply)

African Poetry / Court Orders Arrest Of Oluwo Of Iwoland / How Did Ghana Lose Their Culture To Black American Culture ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.