Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,696 members, 7,802,052 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:28 AM

Are "Juju" Filled Movies Detrimental To Impressionable Viewers? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Are "Juju" Filled Movies Detrimental To Impressionable Viewers? (486 Views)

Sir Juju Debala Dies At 70 / Omu-ekiti: A Community Filled With Strange Tales And Mysteries / Killers Of Python In Calabar: Handling Snake Is Our Culture; no charms or juju (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Are "Juju" Filled Movies Detrimental To Impressionable Viewers? by mister22shotzz: 12:48pm On Jun 14, 2015
This questions just popped into my head and with the way rap music is ridiculed for the misogynistic lyrics, violence etc. Is it also possible that Juju themed Nigerian movies scare monger scare viewers or even encourage them to engage in ill practices?

I've seen my aunt get on her knees and pray that the story in a movie would never be her portion. not saying anything is wrong with that I just don't think its ideal.

Also, Nigerian movies in general do not show how ones intelligence/wit has taken them to a better place. And no, I'm not talking about when they fast forward a couple years at uni. I'm talking about movies like catch me if you can and oceans eleven. Thought provoking and interesting. Maybe it's a problem with creativity in the film industry?
Re: Are "Juju" Filled Movies Detrimental To Impressionable Viewers? by Nobody: 4:23pm On Jun 14, 2015
Yes.

I remember one of the early seasons of big brother africa where the botswanan housemate mentioned "Ah, we love nollywood movies alot in my country".
She then mentioned the downside of the movies that although they're entertaining and pass on morals in respect to depiction of witchcraft, they've also gotten used as justification to kill all Nigerians present in a locality blaming them for ritual killings of any sort.

She mentioned an incident where after 'cleansing' the village of all Nigerians it was finally discovered the killer was a fellow botswanan. However, the deed was already done and no one showed remorse from killing their innocent Nigerian neighbours.
Re: Are "Juju" Filled Movies Detrimental To Impressionable Viewers? by sarmiie(m): 8:35pm On Jun 14, 2015
When I was young, really young, I remember watching a movie where a dude wanted to do money rituals. He had to go cut off dead women's bre.asts at the cemetery. At the exact moment when he had the knife in his hands and was about to perform the dead, NEPA showed their well known skill. My mom told me to go inside and get the lantern. I remember reciting the whole of Psalm 23 perfectly (which I'd had trouble with before). Till today, I still find it difficult to watch any nigerian movie. It took a lot of persuasions from my friends before I watched figurine and october 1st.

(1) (Reply)

US Open Tennis Championship 2015 Starting Soon / Healthy Infant Was Immediately / Please, Help

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.