Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,714 members, 7,802,160 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:07 AM

I Want To Leave My Job For Masters - Career (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / I Want To Leave My Job For Masters (33327 Views)

How I Almost Lost My Job Because Of Orijin Drink. / Should I Sell My Virginity To Retain My Job? / I Lost My Job Because Of My Love For Buhari...( No Regrets) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Want To Leave My Job For Masters by 735i(m): 8:23pm On Jun 14, 2015
ednut1:
get up to 3-4 years experience before going for your masters o, masters without experience is equal to a bsc holder in job market.there are thousands of pple out der wit UK masters and are still jobless. if you cannot combine it pls do not quit. pple i know dat quit are those with 5-10 years experience going for executive MBA, cos of the experience they easily get job after the program. be wise. as for me am nt going for any bloody masters anytime soon cos i dont see d so called advantage professional exams like CFA CISA and CFE (CIPM wont be bad for u)will do for now wink

You do not see the advantage in professional exams like CFA, CFE? undecided undecided
Issorai
Re: I Want To Leave My Job For Masters by ednut1(m): 8:27pm On Jun 14, 2015
735i:

You do not see the advantage in professional exams like CFA, CFE? undecided undecided Issorai
after d advantage was meant to put a full stop.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Leave My Job For Masters by Nobody: 8:33pm On Jun 14, 2015
O Lord, thank you!!! I find the bulk of advice here useful. I presently work as a call center agent but have been thinking of leaving d job. What i find interesting here is d advice on 'work experience'. I am barely 9 months in d job, with wat i have learnt from here i have to stay back & build myself for better opportunity.

As for d OP, I carry God beg u, no leave ur job!!!
I made dat mistake 3 yrs ago to quit my job dat i used to sponsor myself in school & everything for the National Service scheme when i have d chance to retain my job. I regret dat decision & I am yet to recover from d pain, loss & setback resulting from dat mistake.
Re: I Want To Leave My Job For Masters by Aluobe1(m): 8:45pm On Jun 14, 2015
Wat if you go for National Open University of Nigeria (NOUN) #just thinking out loud
Re: I Want To Leave My Job For Masters by otuesieme: 8:48pm On Jun 14, 2015
Am so happy that u want to do your masters, I was once in your position, I finished my Nysc I go a job 6 month after, and two month after I got the job, I equally got an admission, I have issues on which one to go for. Ppl that are working will tell u to work, while ppl that are in sch will tell u to come a study, but the truth is, go back to sch and study. I did the same and now am done with my masters and am still working @ my previous place of work. I was not easy bro and my sch is far from lagos and I had to quiet my job for the sch. The truth now bro, is that if I remember that am going to work, I will feel like weekend should always come by.
In conclusion bro, u can always get jobs and beleive me, jobs are out there.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Want To Leave My Job For Masters by emmyhumble(m): 8:54pm On Jun 14, 2015
If you like you can do your masters online at national open university ... In that way you will still be working full time
Re: I Want To Leave My Job For Masters by being(m): 9:15pm On Jun 14, 2015
First issue, what will then happen after d masters? U'll then get a 200k job? - fairy tales. A lot of times, msc is not a big advantage. professional certification is certainly better for ur area of interest. I'll advice u stick to ur job. Since it doesn't pay too much, what u should b doing is looking for another job while trying to see how u can get a certification and necessary skill set.
Re: I Want To Leave My Job For Masters by unbrandedcosy(m): 9:20pm On Jun 14, 2015
Pls if u decided to leave ,pls tell me d place so that I can go and see if they will take me
I can even work on sundays.
Re: I Want To Leave My Job For Masters by Kirinwa: 9:27pm On Jun 14, 2015
takleboy:
To those that said he can cope
That he doesnt need to attend lectures that he should just read
Please let ask you all, before you give him such advice, does it work for you or have you really tried it that way?
I know why i am asking

I love, I mean I really cherish logical people. You nailed it. Its easy to proffer out of context advices.

Op how much is the salary? Do you have a guarantee you will get another job after the masters?
If the personnel manager is friendly, you may approach him for advice.
Re: I Want To Leave My Job For Masters by damzy88: 9:32pm On Jun 14, 2015
Kirinwa:

I love, I mean I really cherish logical people. You nailed it. Its easy to proffer out of context advices.

Op how much is the salary? Do you have a guarantee you will get another job after the masters?
If the personnel manager is friendly, you may approach him for advice.
60k, I work on Saturdays.
Re: I Want To Leave My Job For Masters by pawn89(m): 9:40pm On Jun 14, 2015
I will advice you to remain on the job, gather as much experience as you can, maybe 3yrs or 4yrs after which you may apply for your masters degree, depending on your choice of discipline and area of working experience you may get a tuition waiver as well as monthly stipend if you apply to universities abroad.

Good luck...
Re: I Want To Leave My Job For Masters by omojeesu(m): 9:40pm On Jun 14, 2015
Retain your job and do part time masters degree programme.
Re: I Want To Leave My Job For Masters by avicky(f): 9:45pm On Jun 14, 2015
damzy88:
We resume by 8.30 am and close by 5.30pm. Saturdays 9am to 1pm. You have to card in and card out. If you don't come to office,a little amount may be deducted from your salary.

Apply for your masters in NOUN. No physical class, just your tmas and you read online. Work and learn. Very flexible.
Re: I Want To Leave My Job For Masters by gajerian(m): 6:16am On Jun 15, 2015
damzy88:
It is not oooo. The pay is 60k. But I believe the experience is the most important now.

You wouldn't know the value of that 60k until it is not coming in again
Re: I Want To Leave My Job For Masters by toprealman: 7:38am On Jun 15, 2015
sseunth:
don't leave the job or u might regret it later...go to a nearby uni..register for master...look for someone that can be updating you frm time to time and help with lesson notes and other...nt compulsory you attend the lectures
WOW, MSC MADE EASY!
Re: I Want To Leave My Job For Masters by Adortem: 8:32am On Jun 15, 2015
I hear people here talking about him doing a professional course,from experience,professional course is meant for people with hands-on experience related to the professional course they are writing. Professional courses may not be so relevant in some field while in some it is highly imperative. You have to be thoughtful before you invest in any professional course. I thought writing a professional course will earn me a quick job after grad, I was wrong, I was told I need hands on experience that the course is nothing,they aint even willing to give a chance for training,while graduate trainee programme don't require any professional course
Re: I Want To Leave My Job For Masters by Manufor(m): 10:10am On Jun 15, 2015
I think u have to find a way of mixing both,no work for Nigeria oooo..I am faced wif same delimma now,.. Finished nysc,.got a job evn b4 i finished,..now after one year., am tinking abt my MSC,.but per time ,.cos my work doesn't give me anytime..work from Mon to sun,.8am to 11pm,.. Don't know how to mix d both,.. And I can't leave my job,.cos am going to sponsor myself,..
Re: I Want To Leave My Job For Masters by Nobody: 10:49am On Jun 15, 2015
What is your opinion, someone advice me to go for my MEd at NOUN. I am presently teaching in a Federal Secondary School and i wish to become a lecturer in future. My fear is that wouldn't NOUN certificate be looked down upon for lecturing appointment when I apply for it later in the future?
Re: I Want To Leave My Job For Masters by Manufor(m): 11:56am On Jun 15, 2015
yinkard4me:

nice one bruh, Msc at 25 yrs old wont be a regret for u.
now here is my advice; from ur reply, u said u work in d HR dept and u want to do ur masters allign to that. well, there. are two types of Msc. academic msc(for those that wants to proceed for PhD) and professional msc(NO PhD). now if ur job is paying very well, i will suggest u go for d professional msc(lectures re mostly weekends since most students there re workers) but for academic msc combined with job, brother in a school like ui, u may not graduate with a useful grade point(Phd grade) and d purpose of an academic msc has been defeated. to me academic msc is for those that wants to be in academic line( i.e lecturer) and not in d field. so go off nairaland, do ur researc inh very well, seek advice from senior colleagues in Human resources and use ur head too. cheers!
Totally need ur advice on this masters stuff,..seems u know a lot abt it,.. Am also a fresh grad,.got a job afta nysc,.but no time,. Work from Mon-Sun,. 1 year and half Into the job and am seriously tinking abt my masters,.but am so confused abt which one,..didn't evn know abt the Academic and professional,.
Re: I Want To Leave My Job For Masters by yinkard4me(m): 2:21pm On Jun 15, 2015
Manufor:

Totally need ur advice on this masters stuff,..seems u know a lot abt it,.. Am also a fresh grad,.got a job afta nysc,.but no time,. Work from Mon-Sun,. 1 year and half Into the job and am seriously tinking abt my masters,.but am so confused abt which one,..didn't evn know abt the Academic and professional,.
whats ur course of study??
Re: I Want To Leave My Job For Masters by Manufor(m): 4:03pm On Jun 15, 2015
yinkard4me:

whats ur couurse of study??
Studied Insurance and Act. Sci in sch,.Under Fac of Bis Admin,.but i presently work in d retail dept of an O&G coy as Station Accountant at one of its Mega filling Stations,. Trying to be diverse and go for a masters not related to Insurance,..maybe management or any other tin,.. Jst want to know which one,.
Re: I Want To Leave My Job For Masters by adellam16(f): 5:15pm On Jun 15, 2015
panachuku:
mumu , he can get variety of advices here, ost parents and adults have lost tuch with d reality of d labour market
Illiterate, I wasn't talking to u! Reply me again and prove dat u r a rare ode.
Re: I Want To Leave My Job For Masters by yinkard4me(m): 5:25pm On Jun 15, 2015
Manufor:

Studied Insurance and Act. Sci in sch,.Under Fac of Bis Admin,.but i presently work in d retail dept of an O&G coy as Station Accountant at one of its Mega filling Stations,. Trying to be diverse and go for a masters not related to Insurance,..maybe management or any other tin,.. Jst want to know which one,.
ok. before i can advice u, i have a friend who recently asked herself dis question 'why am i doing dis masters self?'... so lemme ask u why do u want to do masters??

1 Like

Re: I Want To Leave My Job For Masters by Manufor(m): 5:48pm On Jun 15, 2015
yinkard4me:

ok. before i can advice u, i have a friend who recently asked herself dis question 'why am i doing dis masters self?'... so lemme ask u why do u want to do masters??
Lolz,..now that question struck me hard,.. I think,.jst to strengthen my CV, now I have the time and age,..cos I wud be looking for a transfer to H/O in d future,.by d grace of God.
Re: I Want To Leave My Job For Masters by yinkard4me(m): 6:45pm On Jun 15, 2015
Manufor:

Lolz,..now that question struck me hard,.. I think,.jst to strengthen my CV, now I have the time and age,..cos I wud be looking for a transfer to H/O in d future,.by d grace of God.
u have the time? u resume work 8am and closes 11pm... or u planning to leave the job?
Re: I Want To Leave My Job For Masters by Manufor(m): 7:21pm On Jun 15, 2015
yinkard4me:

u have the time? u resume work 8am and closes 11pm... or u planning to leave the job?
Tot dey had something like weekend program only,..like saturdays?.cud arrange something wif my boss,.
Re: I Want To Leave My Job For Masters by truvine(m): 8:35pm On Jun 15, 2015
Have learn a lot from here ooo
@OP yours in better because your still at decision stage.
As for me, have been admitted, paid school fees before asking the question someone asked earlier on this thread.. "why am I doing this masters self"
Like you, I have a job too.. Am like a personal assistant to a petroleum merchant.. Supervise and audit the account of 4 of his stations. My salary by the book is small but my off the book income is like time three (hope you get what I mean by off the book)... But am of the opinion that it's a one man business and bla bla bla... that I need a career job.. Am underutilized and other things.
I was still valuable and my boss ask all station managers to send daily report to me for review... That's my first week in school... Then I had a second thought.... Considering the economic situation of Nigeria, I felt if I blow this chance, it s my fault.
A week later, it's fuel scarcity that lasted for weeks and I have to return back to work.
Now and keenly looking into various options that has been mentioned here.
OP, am not here to say you shouldn't pursue your masters.. But weigh the cost.. Leverage on all the factors earlier mentioned on this thread. I graduated with 2.1 Economics too and I can count many aptitude test have attended with M. SC holder in attendance.
Cheers
Re: I Want To Leave My Job For Masters by takleboy(m): 8:39pm On Jun 15, 2015
truvine:
Have learn a lot from here ooo
@OP yours in better because your still at decision stage.
As for me, have been admitted, paid school fees before asking the question someone asked earlier on this thread.. "why am I doing this masters self"
Like you, I have a job too.. Am like a personal assistant to a petroleum merchant.. Supervise and audit the account of 4 of his stations. My salary by the book is small but my off the book income is like time three (hope you get what I mean by off the book)... But am of the opinion that it's a one man business and bla bla bla... that I need a career job.. Am underutilized and other things.
I was still valuable and my boss ask all station managers to send daily report to me for review... That's my first week in school... Then I had a second thought.... Considering the economic situation of Nigeria, I felt if I blow this chance, it s my fault.
A week later, it's fuel scarcity that lasted for weeks and I have to return back to work.
Now and keenly looking into various options that has been mentioned here.
OP, am not here to say you shouldn't pursue your masters.. But weigh the cost.. Leverage on all the factors earlier mentioned on this thread. I graduated with 2.1 Economics too and I can count many aptitude test have attended with M. SC holder in attendance.
Cheers
Gbamm!!!
#point of life

1 Like

Re: I Want To Leave My Job For Masters by yinkard4me(m): 11:39pm On Jun 15, 2015
Manufor:

Tot dey had something like weekend program only,..like saturdays?.cud arrange something wif my boss,.
yh! there is, part time and professional msc are mostly scheduled for weekends to accommodate the working class but the duration is longer sha, say minimum of 3 yrs. with professional msc, u cant proceed for Phd. it is good for those on fields and not academics.
Re: I Want To Leave My Job For Masters by Nobody: 2:26pm On Jun 16, 2015
sseunth:
you can still cope....you will just plan everything...you dnt need to attend lectures...u just need to be reading to catch...so you need to look for the time you will be using to read....probably on sat and sunday

ever heard or seen someone who never stepped in the classroom, just scanned through the lesson materials, didn't cheat or cut his way through and came out unscathed?
it's a big fat lie waiting for the truth...you guys need to be realistic a bit,he's working till Saturdays...that's damn tough,if he decides to combine work and school, one must suffer.

bro,you've got to decide Nd plan your life....what do you want?

will your master's cert get you something close/better than what you have now within short period? if yes,go for it...if no,it's your dilemma.

what if you plan to work for 3more years,get the experience then proceed to school, improve your experience and aim high?

just think and decide whichever you're comfortable with
good luck wink

1 Like

Re: I Want To Leave My Job For Masters by Nobody: 3:53pm On Jun 16, 2015
8:30am - 11pm, Monday to Sunday? What do you do?

Manufor:
I think u have to find a way of mixing both,no work for Nigeria oooo..I am faced wif same delimma now,.. Finished nysc,.got a job evn b4 i finished,..now after one year., am tinking abt my MSC,.but per time ,.cos my work doesn't give me anytime..work from Mon to sun,.8am to 11pm,.. Don't know how to mix d both,.. And I can't leave my job,.cos am going to sponsor myself,..
Re: I Want To Leave My Job For Masters by truvine(m): 1:13pm On Jun 17, 2015
Paretomaster:
U don't have to quit ur job, am currently working, and am almost done with ma masters.

Am running it with the national Open university.

Job scarce o, if som ppl see a job with half of that ur pay, na with speed of light dem go rush am.

Be wise!
bro , can I have your email
looking forward to NOUN as well
but have one or two things to inquire

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

How To Succeed As A Contract Staff In Nigerian Banks / 10 Glaring Signs That You Are Being Underpaid (Photos) / Nigerian Banks To Start Mass Sacking Due To Naira Fall!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.