Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,461 members, 7,801,149 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 11:33 AM

Don't Venture Into Agriculture On Impulse. - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Don't Venture Into Agriculture On Impulse. (13207 Views)

Two Nigerians Go Into Agriculture Because Of Economic Hardship. Pictures / 15 Great Ideas To Consider If You Are Going Into Agriculture / Visit Agriculture On Nairaland President Buhari....... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Don't Venture Into Agriculture On Impulse. by kollymore1(m): 1:44pm On Jun 14, 2015
Nigeria is a land of many opportunities and one of such is Agriculture. But do not venture into it because your friends/people around you are doing it or because you heard it has tendency of making you a millionaire in few months.

Rather, do it because you derives joy in it. Like any other business there are times of turbulence and challenges and it could be really bad. Your interest and likeness for the 'profession' will keep you going when there is down time.

Case study:

My first experience with farming was a disaster. Contrary to the forecast of ROI, it was a colossal loss. I did not realize half of my investment not to talk of profit.

What happened?
No proper guidance and adequate information was lacking.
I relied on somebody based on what he said he was; it turned out to be waste of time and resources. That sour/bitter experience discouraged my partner and he vowed never to come near farming again.

But my interest had kept me going with the help of God.

Farming is good and promising but it could also become a curse if not done the right way.
Are you thinking of farming? First you must love it not because of money but see it ad your own way of lifting/helping mankind. Get equipped with adequate knowledge of your choice crop/animal. If you can afford it, pay for trainings, prepare yourself for the challenges ahead and get a mentor that you can always call.

Most importantly don't venture into agriculture on impulse.

May God bless the works of your hands.

27 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Don't Venture Into Agriculture On Impulse. by Johnnyessence(m): 5:53pm On Jun 14, 2015
kollymore1:
Nigeria is a land of many opportunities and one of such is Agriculture. But do not venture into it because your friends/people around you are doing it or because you heard it has tendency of making you a millionaire in few months.

Rather, do it because you derives joy in it. Like any other business there are times of turbulence and challenges and it could be really bad. Your interest and likeness for the 'profession' will keep you going when there is down time.

Case study:

My first experience with farming was a disaster. Contrary to the forecast of ROI, it was a colossal loss. I did not realize half of my investment not to talk of profit.

What happened?
No proper guidance and adequate information was lacking.
I relied on somebody based on what he said he was; it turned out to be waste of time and resources. That sour/bitter experience discouraged my partner and he vowed never to come near farming again.

But my interest had kept me going with the help of God.

Farming is good and promising but it could also become a curse if not done the right way.
Are you thinking of farming? First you must love it not because of money but see it ad your own way of lifting/helping mankind. Get equipped with adequate knowledge of your choice crop/animal. If you can afford it, pay for trainings, prepare yourself for the challenges ahead and get a mentor that you can always call.

Most importantly don't venture into agriculture on impulse.

May God bless the works of your hands.
thks for ur advise which area of ur specification in agriculture hmmmm.

1 Like

Re: Don't Venture Into Agriculture On Impulse. by kollymore1(m): 7:06pm On Jun 14, 2015
Agricultural Turn-key projects:farm set, management and irrigation systems

2 Likes

Re: Don't Venture Into Agriculture On Impulse. by Johnnyessence(m): 7:29pm On Jun 14, 2015
kollymore1:
Agricultural Turn-key projects:farm set, management and irrigation systems
waooo this is great am following u patiently.

1 Like

Re: Don't Venture Into Agriculture On Impulse. by Andy04: 3:37am On Jun 16, 2015
Hello,I reside in the east,I can supply to interested individuals breadfruit,'ukwa' in igbo ,'afon' in yoruba,in bulk @ a cheaper rate, u might even wish to be selling it.I heard that the business is lucrative and selling fast in cities like Lagos and Abj.we can work out on how i will be getting it across to u maybe through 'ware billing' or any other means that would be mutually convinient. send me a pm if u are interested via: voyagerafricana@gmail.com

1 Like

Re: Don't Venture Into Agriculture On Impulse. by GogetterMD(m): 5:21pm On Jun 16, 2015
The mode in the agric section just woke up after a long slumber

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Don't Venture Into Agriculture On Impulse. by Aspiregreat: 5:21pm On Jun 16, 2015
grin good one...
Re: Don't Venture Into Agriculture On Impulse. by Nobody: 5:21pm On Jun 16, 2015
Depends on the Agric sector. Poultry business is not good to venture into rite now
Re: Don't Venture Into Agriculture On Impulse. by Pavore9: 5:22pm On Jun 16, 2015
Everything in life is a process likewise Agriculture. In whatever aspect you want to get involved in, invest in yourself by making effort to understudy those who have already stabilized and generating income from it. Be disciplined enough not to get carried away by the beautiful pictures of good profit-margin painted by many internet farmers!

People are earning good income from Agriculture, go get practical knowledge!

2 Likes

Re: Don't Venture Into Agriculture On Impulse. by Nobody: 5:23pm On Jun 16, 2015
There are very few certainties in life, but if there's something I cannot venture into on impulse, it's definitely agriculture. That's a certainty. How can anyone plant stuff and then wait and wait for them to grow? I'm a patient person; but I'm not that patient. grin
Re: Don't Venture Into Agriculture On Impulse. by Yinkame123(m): 5:23pm On Jun 16, 2015
Well said i quite agreed with you one should engaged in something you have passion for not to follow the band wagon.

1 Like

Re: Don't Venture Into Agriculture On Impulse. by KINGTELLER: 5:26pm On Jun 16, 2015
GogetterMD:
The mode in the agric section just woke up after a long slumber

Thee MOD was on sabbatical leave cheesy cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: Don't Venture Into Agriculture On Impulse. by ochestraone(m): 5:26pm On Jun 16, 2015
now people dont want to learn... Nobody is commenting on this advice.... Make you guys talk ooo or we go hear stories that touchies the heart
Re: Don't Venture Into Agriculture On Impulse. by aaamos(m): 5:28pm On Jun 16, 2015
h
Re: Don't Venture Into Agriculture On Impulse. by yusakins(m): 5:35pm On Jun 16, 2015
thanks for info
Re: Don't Venture Into Agriculture On Impulse. by femu(m): 5:36pm On Jun 16, 2015
Agric is a science, hence requires knowledge, discipline and experience.
from my experience i have discovered Information is key for survival even more important than finance.
Re: Don't Venture Into Agriculture On Impulse. by jjcena(m): 5:47pm On Jun 16, 2015
For the past six months, I've been thinking of going back to the farm, I used to do while I was still with my family. God knows how much I love farm work, if I make up my mind, I going to do it big time.
Re: Don't Venture Into Agriculture On Impulse. by 9jii(m): 5:56pm On Jun 16, 2015
Its all about passion
Re: Don't Venture Into Agriculture On Impulse. by gabinogem(m): 6:05pm On Jun 16, 2015
I'm into fish farming. If not for the love I have for it I would have quit long time ago, though I really want to be grounded in it. If I have good capital I will certainly go into it full time... Nice encouragement OP, u've done well.
Re: Don't Venture Into Agriculture On Impulse. by hairdryingcap(m): 6:10pm On Jun 16, 2015
Agriculture will be the next goldmine in the future, because the world population is increasing very fast and more food need to be produced to meet the everyday need of a common man.... I also aim to own a plantation soon... And am interested in fish farming...

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Don't Venture Into Agriculture On Impulse. by Gwan2(m): 6:14pm On Jun 16, 2015
Nursing an idea of buying and selling Agricultural foodstuffs when i have a substantial sum of money.
Maybe buying from the northern part and selling to the southern part of the country.

1 Like

Re: Don't Venture Into Agriculture On Impulse. by tunene66: 6:17pm On Jun 16, 2015
Before you venture into anything in life, count the cost, take informed decisions
Re: Don't Venture Into Agriculture On Impulse. by INTERMAN: 6:19pm On Jun 16, 2015
Cool
Re: Don't Venture Into Agriculture On Impulse. by cold(m): 6:22pm On Jun 16, 2015
I was into poultry for many years. Made substantial returns on my investment. But the first outbreak of avian flu did me in. Eventually i had to sell the rest of my birds at give away prices just to recoup my losses. Never ventured into it again. Who knows,i just might give it another shot sometime in the future.
Re: Don't Venture Into Agriculture On Impulse. by buchilino(m): 6:40pm On Jun 16, 2015
Andy04:
Hello,I reside in the east,I can supply to interested individuals breadfruit,'ukwa' in igbo ,'afon' in yoruba,in bulk @ a cheaper rate, u might even wish to be selling it.I heard that the business is lucrative and selling fast in cities like Lagos and Abj.we can work out on how i will be getting it across to u maybe through 'ware billing' or any other means that would be mutually convinient. send me a pm if u are interested via: voyagerafricana@gmail.com

am interested but am currently in ilorin, will get back 2 u very soon
Re: Don't Venture Into Agriculture On Impulse. by Lanre4uonly(m): 6:53pm On Jun 16, 2015
Nice information.
Re: Don't Venture Into Agriculture On Impulse. by jam04(m): 6:56pm On Jun 16, 2015
Agric is the next big thing now. Any smart investor will take advantage and not wait. It takes lots of learning and passion to break even in Agric. Once the break even is achieved, agric will become like a daily hobby.
Re: Don't Venture Into Agriculture On Impulse. by amazingspiderma: 7:04pm On Jun 16, 2015
Agriculture is not beans,it takes more skill and effort than money.It is more of a skill and not just a business.Any good farmer will tell you that no two years are the same.I don't mean to sound difficult,but you sound like you were planning for champion league in the same year you got promoted to the premier league.What you need is a practical mentor,guide or an experience person and not just a seminar or a friend.This is a different subject,and trust me,you will not become perfect in one planting season.
We define agriculture as the rearing of crops and animals,not planting or feeding or buying.Rearing is a skill.Any woman can give birth but you also know that not all women can train a child.In agriculture the laws of nature superceeds and must be obeyed.Understanding this gives takes patient and humility but when you grasp it,happy shall thou be.Skills take time to master so is agriculture.
Finally,my candid advice,start with a garden and not a hectre.
All the best.

5 Likes

Re: Don't Venture Into Agriculture On Impulse. by Onyiibazz: 7:05pm On Jun 16, 2015
Re: Don't Venture Into Agriculture On Impulse. by mrvitalis(m): 7:05pm On Jun 16, 2015
What if someone imploye locals who are naturally into the farming to do the job for u... . All u do is invest and monitoring?
Cos that what am about to do in pig farming
Any advice?

1 Like

Re: Don't Venture Into Agriculture On Impulse. by basille(m): 7:36pm On Jun 16, 2015
I'm planning on venturing into agriculture, probably after graduation or sometime in the future and if i fail at it, i hope to learn from mistakes and try again.

2 Likes

Re: Don't Venture Into Agriculture On Impulse. by Lesgupnigeria(m): 8:17pm On Jun 16, 2015
Agriculture is not a get rich quick scheme.
You need to learn the rope as any other business before you can make good income
The business of agriculture is the real deal at the moment and in decades to come,not only because of the dying oil reliant economy but the yearly burgeoning population who is expected to eat everyday both in raw and processed form.

Do agribusiness....it pays

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Cocoa To Generate $1.3b As Revenue In 2014- Nigerian Minister For Agric / Blog On My Cage System / Opportunities In Agro Business

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.