Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,385 members, 7,808,362 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:56 AM

Bankers Whats The Way Forward?? - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Bankers Whats The Way Forward?? (33467 Views)

Nine Things Nigerian Bankers Hate About Their Jobs / Bankers To Be Sacked For Introducing Customers To MMM / For Bankers, Ex Bankers And Bankers To Be (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bankers Whats The Way Forward?? by Nobody: 8:44pm On Jul 26, 2015
Been an outsourced staff in Operations for over five years ain't a joke. Despite been a degree holder.

2 Likes

Re: Bankers Whats The Way Forward?? by lamash: 8:45pm On Jul 26, 2015
Re: Bankers Whats The Way Forward?? by Denn(m): 8:46pm On Jul 26, 2015
sademola:

They are not bankers!!! You can only be a banker after some training in the act/profession. One can be a school dropout and turn out to be fantastic banker after some basic training and experience on the job. I've got some school mates and friends that studied sciences and engineering but are excellent and high flying bankers. How did they turned to be bankers? Training, courses, exposure and experience from the job. You can't just call yourself a banker just because you are paid salaries from a banking outfit!!! Are the drivers and securities bankers too?

Drivers, cleaners etc are all support staff in all spheres...not only banking.

Owners and officials of banks are bankers. Simple.

I showed you a definition. Show me yours.

It seems you drive in traffic with an air of seniority because you are a 'banker'.

3 Likes

Re: Bankers Whats The Way Forward?? by lamash: 8:46pm On Jul 26, 2015
topefisayo:
Been an outsourced staff in Operations for over five years ain't a joke. Despite been a degree holder.
Re: Bankers Whats The Way Forward?? by usbcable(m): 8:49pm On Jul 26, 2015
One thing I seem unable to understand is that is this how banking is practiced in other nations vis deposit mobilisation?

I ave never seen any other countries film where a banker is complaining of sales target.

I surely believe banking in Nigeria is being done the wrong way.

If banks develop the private, real and SME sectors of the economy the customers they help build their businesses will surely repay them back by keeping their monies in the banks that helped them grow.

But sadly all Nigerian banks want is deposit mobilisation with no commesurate developmental plan for the businesses that will bring the deposits in.

Denn:
The moment a bank expects young grads to get in funds at any cost, integrity and professionalism is sacrificed.

The most promoted bankers are not the best bankers....they are people who can meet set targets.

Overtime, we get people who can just bring in deposits or roll over term loans in higher positions. The real professionals are frustrated out.

Banking is more than just getting in deposits or booking loans.

That is why we have a lot of bad loans in the system. The real intelligent bankers have been frustrated out. Cowboys now reign supreme.

I look at some products developed by banks and can only laugh. Where is the innovation?

I attend MPRs and listen to the jumbles being read by the unit heads. Deposits....deposits....deposits....

Some jackal will even abuse parents of low deposit scavengers.

A paradigm shift is required. Focus should be on profit via professional service and not on vacuuming all the deposits in the country just to play at the interbank market.

What is zenith bank doing to help the SMEs for example. How many dark skinned girls do you see in Zenith Bank? Is banking excellence dependent on your skin colour and skirt lenght? Must I look sexy to be a banker ?

What is diamond bank doing to reduce the enormous visa credit card bad debts booked from relentless 'marketing'. Did they not learn from ecobank's mistake using the same template?

Why is Stanbic focused on temporary makeshift branches with very few relationship officers? Relationship is key and should constitute the main workforce....not expatriates in the head office.

Why should a banker earn 25k monthly. Should he even be a temporary staff? A bank thrives on fiduciary relationships. At least your worker must trust that he will have his job permanently. Else, he uses your internet access to search for job. DSA my foot

The whole cauldron of ineffective 'marketing' must be thrown away and new processes must be adopted.

bross you have made so many truthful comments above. sadly nothing will change as per those banks in the near future

2 Likes

Re: Bankers Whats The Way Forward?? by misterchris(m): 8:52pm On Jul 26, 2015
obitee69:

Bro 100000000 likes for you. I work at one of the banks u mentioned and it's a mad house. No level or professionalism, just threat, sack and all. It's crazy. U go to mpr and ur disgraced. Me I don tire. Banking is a shitty place to work now especially if ur in front office. 2mao Is monday and i'm already depressed it's well
Diamond Bank I guess

1 Like

Re: Bankers Whats The Way Forward?? by walearoy(m): 9:08pm On Jul 26, 2015
Bontia:
I just exited myself from the bank. Though I had a plan b. The two years I spent there as a sales person can be described as the most excruciating part of my life. A life of daily sack threat, daily weekly and monthly meetings, wicked kpi's time consumption etc. I was stressed beyond my capacity. Sincerely I wonder if my superiors really enjoy the job as they claim.

I thank God I can now breathe a sigh of relief.

This is not to say I gained nothing from the bank. Right now I am a formidable salesman. I can market Nairaland to Seun and he will buy it. I have been highly groomed in the financial services industry. I am more exposed to various kinds of business. Relationship management was an A course to me. I have transformed from that cool reseverd guy to a bold networker. My dress sense has greatly improved. I am now more efficient and effective. Keep to the time etc.. Also, from a broke ass nigger I have been able to rent and furnish my apartment to a good taste, acquired a car, little savings. Also looking forward to acquire a land. I thank God for all sha.

Nice One

1 Like

Re: Bankers Whats The Way Forward?? by Gemc3(f): 9:08pm On Jul 26, 2015
Banking is crazy. Operations or Marketing. Not a joke at all.
Re: Bankers Whats The Way Forward?? by Nobody: 9:09pm On Jul 26, 2015
misterchris:

Diamond Bank I guess

Lol
Re: Bankers Whats The Way Forward?? by aviona: 9:10pm On Jul 26, 2015
@Denn, I really love your point of view.
I was recently in the CBD branch of FCMB, here in Abuja. Right behind me on the queue was one well-dressed gentleman, who revealed to me that he was once a staff of that very branch, until he left the bank in 2009. He said the only regret he had was not making up his mind to leave earlier. Stating that many of those we saw dressed in suits and other corporate wears were in actual bondage.
Many would love to walk away from the job, but simply can't, as they are scared of the 'uncertainties' waiting out there, as the demands of the job makes them know relatively little aside their time-consuming banking jobs.
Re: Bankers Whats The Way Forward?? by fairlyisabel(f): 9:13pm On Jul 26, 2015
Banking is already something else. I was guilty of living flamboyantly until God helped me and I realised that one day I will go either by force or by choice. For a female banker, aside upgrading yourself academically, should learn stuffs like make up, hair dressing, fashion designing or sewing, etc and then set up a very good and attraction shop for it. Those stuffs can fetch good money and up on that, you will still have time for yourself unlike in the banking industry.
Re: Bankers Whats The Way Forward?? by Nobody: 9:20pm On Jul 26, 2015
Before the Paul Ogwumah era,banking was a noble profession, nowadays there is no career growth nor job security. Ever since mergers and acquisitions came along especially trying to meet up with the 25b capital base, banking became a mess. The system needs an overhaul and regulators should formulate policies that will be beneficial to the staff and their customers. My .0001 kobo.
Re: Bankers Whats The Way Forward?? by Denn(m): 9:24pm On Jul 26, 2015
Sorry to state this... How many people have noticed many female bankers end up marrying their pastors?

It might not be common but I know at least 10.

Moving on...lest I digress
Re: Bankers Whats The Way Forward?? by villareal15(m): 9:28pm On Jul 26, 2015
Denn:
The moment a bank expects young grads to get in funds at any cost, integrity and professionalism is sacrificed.

The most promoted bankers are not the best bankers....they are people who can meet set targets.

Overtime, we get people who can just bring in deposits or roll over term loans in higher positions. The real professionals are frustrated out.

That is why we have a lot of bad loans in the system. The real intelligent bankers have been frustrated out. Cowboys now reign supreme.

I look at some products developed by banks and can only laugh. Where is the innovation?

I attend MPRs and listen to the jumbles being read by the unit heads. Deposits....deposits....deposits....

A paradigm shift is required. Focus should be on profit via professional service and not on vacuuming all the deposits in the country just to play at the interbank market.

What is zenith bank doing to help the SMEs for example. How many dark skinned girls do you see in Zenith Bank? Is banking excellence dependent on your skin colour and skirt lenght? Must I look sexy to be a banker ?

What is diamond bank doing to reduce the enormous visa credit card bad debts booked from relentless 'marketing'. Did they not learn from ecobank's mistake using the same template?

Why is Stanbic focused on temporary makeshift branches with very few relationship officers? Relationship is key and should constitute the main workforce....not expatriates in the head office.

Why should a banker earn 25k monthly. Should he even be a temporary staff? A bank thrives on fiduciary relationships. At least your worker must trust that he will have his job permanently. Else, he uses your internet access to search for job. DSA my foot

The whole cauldron of ineffective 'marketing' must be thrown away and new processes must be adopted.
Well said brother!!. I'm a marketer and the whole system is Useless and unrealistic
Re: Bankers Whats The Way Forward?? by luvluvluv: 9:28pm On Jul 26, 2015
topefisayo:

now, dats rili bad!!
Re: Bankers Whats The Way Forward?? by luvluvluv: 9:32pm On Jul 26, 2015
so what are the relevant prof courses one can take while on this banking job? anybody?? cheesy
Re: Bankers Whats The Way Forward?? by cremedelacreme: 9:50pm On Jul 26, 2015
I'm an operations staff with 5years experience, I've worked in all areas of operations (Customers service, funds transfer and currently a cash officer /ATM custodian). I've been able to save some money over the period, but the issue/challenge I have is where to invest the money.I need a backup plan, a business /investment that doesn't require much of my presence given the tight nature of my job. Please guys help a brother.
Re: Bankers Whats The Way Forward?? by stanjohn57: 9:51pm On Jul 26, 2015
Best analysis especially as related to the banks named which I happen to fall under one.

Denn:

Re: Bankers Whats The Way Forward?? by yusufobinna1(m): 9:52pm On Jul 26, 2015
luvluvluv:

now, dats rili bad!!
I have just spent 1 and half and am so tired of the whole thing.the 1 that gives me headache is when they call me to work virtually in all department,as m leaving operations to I.t that's how my branch service manager ll b calling me to enrol customers on BVN.just can't wait to have a lil capital n start a fresh life.
Re: Bankers Whats The Way Forward?? by stanjohn57: 9:55pm On Jul 26, 2015
Best analysis especially as related to the banks named, which I happen to be with one.

Denn:

Re: Bankers Whats The Way Forward?? by odyx: 9:58pm On Jul 26, 2015
Life is a choice. I have seen people complaining that Banking job is hard. Am of the view that all sector of human endeavors are hard. Is all about state of mind. Bankers complaining of target, but every month d collect salary without complain.

Guy try push wheel barrow and compare with ur job.

Please be grateful for ur job, save a lot invest in a business hoping that you will leave soon.

Also get social networks while working in a bank that are willy to teach u business.

What ever ur hands finds to do, do it diligently.

8 Likes

Re: Bankers Whats The Way Forward?? by Denn(m): 10:00pm On Jul 26, 2015
In few hours time, it will be Monday.

The month is ending this week.

God help you if you are short of your target.

Third quarter is usually the defining quarter in profitability.

Branch managers' MPR results already out.

More scolding.

Monday oh monday

3 Likes

Re: Bankers Whats The Way Forward?? by Denn(m): 10:02pm On Jul 26, 2015
luvluvluv:
so what are the relevant prof courses one can take while on this banking job? anybody?? cheesy

CIBN generally....

Depending on your unit..a CFA will earn you a good spot and possibly a Prado in 5 years time

1 Like

Re: Bankers Whats The Way Forward?? by iMerchant: 10:08pm On Jul 26, 2015
Denn:

Drivers, cleaners etc are all support staff in all spheres...not only banking.

Owners and officials of banks are bankers. Simple.

I showed you a definition. Show me yours.

It seems you drive in traffic with an air of seniority because you are a 'banker'.

Good One.

There is a clear difference between a Banker, Banker Worker, Bank Labourers and Bank Support Staffs but the irony is that everyone everyone call themselves Bankers.

1. Bankers are bank owners or elected executive directors with control shares in the bank.

2. Bank Worker is someone employed as staff (full staff) who coordinates and implements bank procedures.

3. Bank Labourer is someone employed as a contract staff who does a foreman - sorry four man jobs without promotion, allowances, salary increase or cost of living allowance.

4. Bank Support Staffs are the category of staff either contract or direct who does auxiliary job to move the job of the Banker or Bank Worker easy.

That na my own definitions of the category of people who works at the bank.

So please Op, if na Bankers you need to talk about the way forward, dem no dey this forum. Na only Bank Workers and Labourers dey this forum. #Smiles

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bankers Whats The Way Forward?? by MAYOWAAK: 10:10pm On Jul 26, 2015
These days, I am always saddened when I go into any banking hall in Nigeria. The environment is often depressing. Maybe it’s that desperate look on the faces of the staff, that tells you they’ve been barraged and insulted this morning, threatened that their jobs could disappear at any moment. The culture has always been that the board asks the MD to perform the impossible, all they are interested in is the huge profits. The MD equally unleashes terror on his EDs and GMs. It’s like nuclear energy. You know, the atomic bomb. It starts small, but by the time it rolls down the rank and file, it picks up velocity, meanness and wickedness. This culture is what drives many a ‘bank worker’ to hate the system so much, they too start thinking of defrauding the banks. By the time the hateful energy reaches the guy on the shop floor, he just can’t take it anymore. It also drives them to make mistakes in their duties, apart from taking their dignity away.

The marketing guys bear the brunt. These days, many banks have employed marketers based strictly on commission. Some earn just N30,000 (less than $200) a month, if they don’t manage to open new accounts. Marketing cars? Where you see am? I see them sometimes trekking long distances after leaving my office. It’s depressing. Banking is far from what it used to be. In my first exposure to being a relationship officer, in 1997, I was allocated about 14 accounts, and told to grow the business on them. I was given a bit of pressure to open new good relationships. But today, the management of banks no longer care about relationships. They give instructions to their staff to go open 10,000 accounts each. Let me give them a feedback right here right now; it is damaging to your business, to the psychology of your staff, to how we the customers view you, and to the banking profession at large. It just does not make sense. How on earth is anyone going to manage 10,000 accounts? Not even 1,000. Not even 100.

What happened to banking? Most of the problem came from the executives, past and present. Nigerian banks are commercial banks. But they want to roll like the investment banks of Canary Wharf or Wall Street. Only better. They want to earn – at the top levels – better than those guys. They can even do personal deals that the Wall Street bankers would get jailed for. They live large, become high rollers. Some get courted by the government, given awards and appointed into all sorts of committees. This creates antagonism between the banks and the customers. The regulator steps in, determines the excesses of the banks, and rolls out the sanctions.

Unfortunately, it is the rank and file who suffers. The first to get wasted are those junior people. They are the first whose careers are stalled. In the days when the current executives were climbing the ladder, they knew they had a career. But today, careers are finished. What you get when you walk into a banking hall, apart from empty cubicles where they had planned to have human beings dispensing cash until e-Banking came along, are those sad eyes that I hate to look into. It’s not as if it’s easy for those of us outside, but it depresses one to see those faces, and oftentimes, to be told by them in hushed tones just how desperate things are, as they slip their CVs into your palms or obtain your email for the same purpose.

And then we all form the mob and rain down on the banks. Every customer is sure that they are overcharging his/her account even if there is no evidence. No one wants N1.00 to be taken as charges for anything. Some banks used to pay you for withdrawing money from your account. When I see the fees they take for sundry services, I wonder how they survive. For me, the issue is not generator and diesel. As standard businesses, with loads of staff to pay, you have to generate some good income. Nigerians say the banks should face their core business of lending. But we forget that even we Nigerians are very bad debtors. See what we had to move to AMCON, bailouts for many of our big men, many of whom hold national awards! The nation as a whole had to pay. For normal customers, 70% - 80% of the loans go bad. You give a loan and the man thinks it is just cash flow by any means. He decides to re-bury his grandmother who died 25 years ago! He pays tithes of 10% to his church because his pastor told him “you have to pay on every cash flow so that ‘Gaaad’ blesses the rest!!”

But I urge that we have a rethink about the way we have been raining down on our banks. They are shrinking. Their businesses are shrinking. Even their staff are shrinking in size. No, it’s not the gym. It’s the stress and bad cash flow. It’s the sanctions they receive from their bosses who are mostly at their wit’s end. It’s the psychological trauma of being cursed at every meeting for not meeting ‘targets’. It’s the trauma of being employed as an internal control officer, an internal auditor, only to be asked to go and meet your family and raise N200million in new accounts. It’s the apparent failure of the current banking business model. The problem is; can we imagine how the ideal situation will look like? Certainly, the executives have to reduce their expectations. They probably have to earn less because the cash flows will not sustain the expectations of the past. But those at the lower echelon need protection from the regulators and the rest of us. They need a proper return to the days when they could be happy that they have careers. The exuberance of the Soludo days – when branches were opened everywhere at huge costs – are since over. The illusions have disappeared. The industry has shaken out. Many have been laid off. But we should not stand aside as the industry shrinks to death. Indeed we should not bring out our own machetes and inflict more blows as part of the lynchmob.

I hope the banks find their mojos back. A lot of them are just marking time. The days of innocence are gone. Even we the people will not be happy with the picture when it all comes tumbling down. It’s also about the disappearance of the middle class. The only ‘safe’ industry in Nigeria is oil and gas. Telecoms has shaken out too; is still shaking out. Let’s have some mercy for our banks and bankers please. Believe it or not, they need it.

BY:TOPE FASUA

25 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Bankers Whats The Way Forward?? by MAYOWAAK: 10:13pm On Jul 26, 2015
LAMENTATIONS OF A FRIEND OF MINE:

As a banker, I sincerely never look forward to resuming next day after close of business everyday. The environment is tense,vindictive, scapegoat-ish, etc.That's how condescending the banking environments are now.We hardly sleep. Am afraid, a huge implosion is on its way if the industry is not strictly regulated as regards treatment of the workforce.Bulk of bank workers nowadays are zombies,you dare not use your initiative and things go bad, and you dare not limit your focus on processes and procedures and customer complain...you will either way pay! In fact, this work is already testing my sanity. I have to leave it before my head explode.

1 Like

Re: Bankers Whats The Way Forward?? by Denn(m): 10:15pm On Jul 26, 2015
Mayowaak

Your 2 posts above are so direct and on point.

2 Likes

Re: Bankers Whats The Way Forward?? by iMerchant: 10:26pm On Jul 26, 2015
cremedelacreme:
I'm an operations staff with 5years experience, I've worked in all areas of operations (Customers service, funds transfer and currently a cash officer /ATM custodian). I've been able to save some money over the period, but the issue/challenge I have is where to invest the money.I need a backup plan, a business /investment that doesn't require much of my presence given the tight nature of my job. Please guys help a brother.

Good that you manage to have some savings instead of loans.

The best way to start is to manage yourself and time well.

You need to start observing people around you and people you interact with daily and believe me you will find a product that you can sell with your busy schedule.

Don't have people blindness and also do take yourself out of the job to observe things around.

If you work in Lagos and shuttle between Island and Mainland, I feel your pain and the time wasted in traffic.

How to start a business while working in the bank:

1. Start with what you like.
2. Start with your problem.
3. Observe people around you - I don't need to tell you that people working in the bank are stingy. You know that already but what you might not know is they open their wallet or give you a blank cheque if you can just a problem for them. Find the major problem in your branch, tell search for the solution and monetize it.

My 2 cent.

Abeg, I wan sleep, traffic on 3mb no dey smile on Monday.
Re: Bankers Whats The Way Forward?? by damiloladuke: 10:34pm On Jul 26, 2015
it's well

CHECK MY SIGNATURE TO READ MY HILARIOUS PERSONAL DIARY
Re: Bankers Whats The Way Forward?? by s2x7m: 10:39pm On Jul 26, 2015
Send me mail s2x7@yahoo.com if you are in lagos and let discuss about investment plan..
cremedelacreme:
Re: Bankers Whats The Way Forward?? by usbcable(m): 10:41pm On Jul 26, 2015
I wish to hear from a banker outside the shores of Nigeria to reallyy have a feel of how the business is run over there.
its a crazy world here in Nigeria
Re: Bankers Whats The Way Forward?? by alphaconde(m): 10:41pm On Jul 26, 2015
Na our ogas spoil banking, dem enjoy am but them no let us enjoy am. Banking is a hell of a career. Am a disatisfied banker

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Oyo-Ita To Civil Servants: Develop Computer Skills Or Forfeit Promotions / How Much Do Doctors Earn In Nigeria? / Sai Buhari, I Just Recieved My April Salary Yesterday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.