Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,041 members, 7,807,124 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:54 AM

Once Saved Always Saved - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Once Saved Always Saved (4074 Views)

Once Saved Always Saved And Suicide - Jack Kelley / Is Once Saved Always Saved / Is Once Saved Always Saved? Eternal Security Discussed. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Once Saved Always Saved by Lateralmaths(m): 7:32pm On Jun 14, 2015
I believe that every believer in Christ has Unconditional Eternal Security. i.e once saved always saved. A believer cannot go to hell because Christ paid the price for sin once and for all. As soon as a man believes in Christ, he is sealed with the Holy Spirit... Who or what can unseal such a seal...

Ephesians 1:13 KJV
In whom ye also trusted , after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,

Christ has fulfilled the law, so the law has lost its power. Therefore sin is no longer imputed to the believer...

Romans 5:13 KJV
(For until the law sin was in the world: but sin is not imputed when there is no law.

We have become the righteousness of God through Christ.
2 Corinthians 5:21 KJV
For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.

what is your stand...
Pls let's discuss with scriptural backing only...
Re: Once Saved Always Saved by Nobody: 8:01pm On Jun 14, 2015
Hebrews 6:4-6

4For as regards those who were once enlightened and who have tasted the heavenly free gift and who have become partakers of holy spirit 5 and who have tasted the fine word of God and powers of the coming system of things, 6 but have fallen away, it is impossible to revive them again to repentance, because they nail the Son of God to the stake again for themselves and expose him to public shame.

Mathew 24:13
But the one who has endured to the end will be saved

2 Likes

Re: Once Saved Always Saved by Lateralmaths(m): 8:22pm On Jun 14, 2015
vfactor:

4For as regards those who were once enlightened and who have tasted the heavenly free gift and who have become partakers of holy spirit 5 and who have tasted the fine word of God and powers of the coming system of things, 6 but have fallen away, it is impossible to revive them again to repentance, because they nail the Son of God to the stake again for themselves and expose him to public shame.

New Living Translation Hebrews 6:3 And so, God willing, we will move forward to further understanding.
4 For it is impossible to bring back to repentance those who were once enlightened—those who have experienced the good things of heaven and shared in the Holy Spirit, 5 who have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the power of the age to come— 6 and who then turn away from God. It is impossible to bring such people back to repentance; by rejecting the Son of God, they themselves are nailing him to the cross once again and holding him up to public shame.

7 When the ground soaks up the falling rain and bears a good crop for the farmer, it has God’s blessing. 8 But if a field bears thorns and thistles, it is useless. The farmer will soon condemn that field and burn it.

9 Dear friends, even though we are talking this way, we really don’t believe it applies to you. We are confident that you are meant for better things, things that come with salvation.

look at verse 9 well

1 Like

Re: Once Saved Always Saved by Nobody: 8:44pm On Jun 14, 2015
Lateralmaths:

New Living Translation Hebrews 6:3 And so, God willing, we will move forward to further understanding.
4 For it is impossible to bring back to repentance those who were once enlightened—those who have experienced the good things of heaven and shared in the Holy Spirit, 5 who have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the power of the age to come— 6 and who then turn away from God. It is impossible to bring such people back to repentance; by rejecting the Son of God, they themselves are nailing him to the cross once again and holding him up to public shame.

7 When the ground soaks up the falling rain and bears a good crop for the farmer, it has God’s blessing. 8 But if a field bears thorns and thistles, it is useless. The farmer will soon condemn that field and burn it.

9 Dear friends, even though we are talking this way, we really don’t believe it applies to you. We are confident that you are meant for better things, things that come with salvation.

look at verse 9 well

Yeah. Apostle Paul was saying that it was a possiblity, if one isn't steadfast!

Mathew 24:13 buttresses that point. So except one remains faithful to the end, he may not gain eternal life

2 Likes

Re: Once Saved Always Saved by NumberOne2(m): 2:28am On Jun 15, 2015
What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound?
God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?
- Romans 6:1-2

Salvation is NOT a license to sin, it is more like an insurance policy incase you sin. Having an insurance for accident doesnt mean you go around driving recklessly.

Apostle John said: IF we sin, not WHEN we sin. See the difference?
My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous: - 1 John 2:1

Dont get it twisted:
Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,
Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.
And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.
- 1 Corinthians 6:9-11

1 Like

Re: Once Saved Always Saved by Nobody: 2:45am On Jun 15, 2015
NumberOne2:

Salvation is NOT a license to sin, it is more like an insurance policy incase you sin. Having an insurance for accident doesnt mean you go around driving recklessly.

My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous: - 1 John 2:1

Dont get it twisted:
Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,
Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.
And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.

You guys do not read in context.You just picked some verses and you built on it..
You still even failed the explanation of Rom6:1
Paul stated earlier "Where sin did abound(have dominion), Grace did much more abound(have dominion).
SIN or GRACE,which will exhaust each other"
it can take me 1-2 hours to explain all of these.
If i have enough time,i will explain the whole of 1cor6 for you within today-tomorrow..
If you interested beep me or otherwise i shd not waste my time..
For those quoting Matt24.
I just studied that chaper yesternite,and i saw that Jesus was talking about the rise of false christ and false prophets prior to the end time.he said many will be decieved into believing these false christ.

Those who endure(still stick to Christ) will be saved.
That is what he is talking about.

Salvation is the gift of God,if a gift is given,One can chose to reject or receive it

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Once Saved Always Saved by Nobody: 2:54am On Jun 15, 2015
vfactor:

Yeah. Apostle Paul was saying that it was a possiblity, if one isn't steadfast!

Mathew 24:13 buttresses that point. So except one remains faithful to the end, he may not gain eternal life

Why aren't you abreast with the fact of the scriptures.
What guarantees eternal life?.

John3:16:- for God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten Son that whosoever believeth in him will not perish but have everlasting life.

believing in Jesus is what bring about eternal life

2 Likes

Re: Once Saved Always Saved by Nobody: 2:56am On Jun 15, 2015
And as for OP, 3 scriptures is still not enough to explain eternal salvation. One must have a precise and complete understanding of it. OP you are correct,but you do need to explain in detail..

1 Like

Re: Once Saved Always Saved by Nobody: 4:22am On Jun 15, 2015
vfactor:

gbam smiley
Re: Once Saved Always Saved by Nobody: 5:45am On Jun 15, 2015
sportsmaster:

Why aren't you abreast with the fact of the scriptures.
What guarantees eternal life?.

John3:16:- for God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten Son that whosoever believeth in him will not perish but have everlasting life.

believing in Jesus is what bring about eternal life

So why did Jesus say that anyone who endures to the end will be saved? There wouldn't have been need for endurance on the part of christians. Endurance wouldn't be a christian virtue. Jesus and the apostle Paul knew if one does not remain in line with his believe in Jesus, he would lose eternal life. The illustration of the 10 virgins should tell u that.

1 Like

Re: Once Saved Always Saved by Lateralmaths(m): 6:48am On Jun 15, 2015
vfactor:

So why did Jesus say that anyone who endures to the end will be saved? There wouldn't have been need for endurance on the part of christians. Endurance wouldn't be a christian virtue. Jesus and the apostle Paul knew if one does not remain in line with his believe in Jesus, he would lose eternal life. The illustration of the 10 virgins should tell u that.
Its like saying my salvation is futuristic and dependent on me not on Christ's finished work... That means my believing in Jesus cannot guarantee my salvation... Definitely that's not what Jesus meant there...

1 Like

Re: Once Saved Always Saved by Lateralmaths(m): 6:51am On Jun 15, 2015
sportsmaster:
And as for OP, 3 scriptures is still not enough to explain eternal salvation.
One must have a precise and complete understanding of it.
OP you are correct,but you do need to explain in detail..
I know, just wanted to start the thread so that people like you will come out...

1 Like

Re: Once Saved Always Saved by Lateralmaths(m): 6:53am On Jun 15, 2015
sportsmaster:

You guys do not read in context.You just picked some verses and you built on it..
Paul stated earlier "Where sin did abound(have dominion), Grace did much more abound(have dominion).
If i have enough time,i will explain the whole of 1cor6 for you within today-tomorrow..
we are interested

1 Like

Re: Once Saved Always Saved by Lateralmaths(m): 7:01am On Jun 15, 2015
NumberOne2:

Dont get it twisted:

Hebrews 10:10 KJV
By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all .
Hebrews 10:14 KJV
For by one offering he hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified.

Sanctified and perfected for ever once and for all...

At salvation there is a switch; the righteous nature replaces the sinful nature.

2 Likes

Re: Once Saved Always Saved by Lateralmaths(m): 7:05am On Jun 15, 2015
2 Corinthians 5:17-21 KJV
Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new. [18] And all things are of God, who hath reconciled us to himself by Jesus Christ, and hath given to us the ministry of reconciliation; [19] To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them; and hath committed unto us the word of reconciliation. [20] Now then we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God did beseech you by us: we pray you in Christ's stead, be ye reconciled to God. [21] For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.

Vs 19... Not imputing their trespasses unto them

Vs 21. Christ was made sin for us...He paid the price for sin in full.
The righteousness of the believer is the righteousness of God in Christ. Man's righteousness can never be better than a filthy rag.

2 Likes

Re: Once Saved Always Saved by Lateralmaths(m): 7:16am On Jun 15, 2015
vfactor:

He that endures till the end, the same shall be saved...by another token, can we argue our salvation is futuristic, or at best incomplete as of now? Cos we are yet to get to the end?

no mortal man will endure to the end by any thing human, strength, power or choice..
It takes the grace of God to get to the end.. with out the help of God no one will make it.. even Jesus prayed for the faith of Peter and He is still praying and helping our faith...

Peter made a decision to follow Christ to the end but ended up denying him thrice. Thats how limited our choices are if it stands alone. But Jesus had interceded for Peter.

My point is the ability to make choices and follow through isn't just ours, its God's grace..

2 Likes

Re: Once Saved Always Saved by Nobody: 7:19am On Jun 15, 2015
Lateralmaths:

He that endures till the end, the same shall be saved...by another token, can we argue our salvation is futuristic, or at best incomplete as of now? Cos we are yet to get to the end?

no mortal man will endure to the end by any thing human, strength, power or choice..
It takes the grace of God to get to the end.. with out the help of God no one will make it.. even Jesus prayed for the faith of Peter and He is still praying and helping our faith...

So? What did Christ mean? While we are not disputing the fact that salvation does not depend on our effort, Jesus makes it clear that our endurance is necessary for our salvation. Apostle Paul alluded to that when he said we should keep working out our salvation with fear and trembling!
Re: Once Saved Always Saved by Lateralmaths(m): 7:20am On Jun 15, 2015
vfactor:

So?
The ability to make choices and follow through isn't just ours, its God's grace..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Once Saved Always Saved by Nobody: 7:24am On Jun 15, 2015
Lateralmaths:
The ability to make choices and follow through isn't just ours, its God's grace..

Where there is not willingness on the part of a Christian to endure, God's grace cannot do much. Like Paul mention in Hebrews 6:4-6, such one takes Christ's ransom and impails Jesus again.
Re: Once Saved Always Saved by Lateralmaths(m): 7:26am On Jun 15, 2015
Salvation is a gift, not o prize to be won.

2 Likes

Re: Once Saved Always Saved by Lateralmaths(m): 7:30am On Jun 15, 2015
vfactor:

Where there is not willingness on the part of a Christian to endure, God's grace cannot do much. Like Paul mention in Hebrews 6:4-6, such one takes Christ's ransom and impails Jesus again.
Is the grace of God dependent on your will?

1 John 3:9 KJV
Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

Explain that pls....

We are saved in the spirit, being saved in the mind and will be saved in the body....

1 Like

Re: Once Saved Always Saved by Nobody: 8:18am On Jun 15, 2015
Lateralmaths:
Is the grace of God dependent on your will?

1 John 3:9 KJV
Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

Explain that pls....

We are saved in the spirit, being saved in the mind and will be saved in the body....

That statement is as simple as it is and even disprove your claims. A son of God do not "practice" sin. If he does continue in sin, then he is no longer a son of God. 1 John 2:1, acknowledges the fact that a son of God may sin. But we have a helper in Jesus. The main point here is making sin a practice, nailing Christ again as it were. For such persons Hebrew 6:4-6, says there's no repentenace.

Earlier a scripture in Romans 6:1 was quoted were Paul noted the possibility for people to take God's grace for granted and making a practice of sin. This is exactly what u re encouraging people to do. Granted as imperfect humans we may commit sin by error. But making a practice of it is unacceptable to God.

1Corinthians 5 explains what action the church should take against a christian who makes a practice of sin. In that account, a christian man was committing fornication with his father's wife, and Paul wrote that he should be removed from the church! If such a person is always saved, why was there a need to "hand him over to Satan". In verse 11 the christians were asked to not associate with anyone who is a christian but practice sin openly to the knowledge of everyone.

Such teachings as this only encourage a flagrant disregard for Gods standards without an effort to even try to keep it.

2 Likes

Re: Once Saved Always Saved by Lateralmaths(m): 11:10am On Jun 15, 2015
vfactor:

That statement is as simple as it is and even disprove your claims. A son of God do not "practice" sin. If he does continue in sin, then he is no longer a son of God. 1 John 2:1, acknowledges the fact that a son of God may sin. But we have a helper in Jesus. The main point here is making sin a practice, nailing Christ again as it were. For such persons Hebrew 6:4-6, says there's no repentenace.

Earlier a scripture in Romans 6:1 was quoted were Paul noted the possibility for people to take God's grace for granted and making a practice of sin. This is exactly what u re encouraging people to do. Granted as imperfect humans we may commit sin by error. But making a practice of it is unacceptable to God.

1Corinthians 5 explains what action the church should take against a christian who makes a practice of sin. In that account, a christian man was committing fornication with his father's wife, and Paul wrote that he should be removed from the church! If such a person is always saved, why was there a need to "hand him over to Satan". In verse 11 the christians were asked to not associate with anyone who is a christian but practice sin openly to the knowledge of everyone.

Such teachings as this only encourage a flagrant disregard for Gods standards without an effort to even try to keep it.

Grace never encourages people to sin, the law does. Grace teaches you to look unto Jesus not looking unto yourself or your efforts. As you keep looking unto Jesus you are transformed into His image.

2 Likes

Re: Once Saved Always Saved by Barnabaseloka(m): 1:33pm On Jun 15, 2015
Once saved ever saved is not scriptural. There are two people involved in salvation: God and man. God's work is to save a sinner from the power of sin so that he/she can live righteously before Him. Man's work in salvation is to MAINTAIN the work that God has done in his/her life by living a life that pleases God. Man lives this kind of life not by human efforts but by the Holy Spirit. This does not mean that the Holy Spirit will do the work for the man, but will direct him on what to do.

The Holy Spirit is in the man to make him obey God but it is left for the man to agree or not. The Holy Spirit is a seal that shows we belong to God, but we should not grieve the Holy Spirit by sinning, for Him not to leave us. Being saved from sin is only a preliquisite to becoming a child of God. You have to 'work out' your salvation- you either live a life that pleases God to maintain this salvation or you lose it even when you think you are still in the race.

Those whom Jesus will admit into heaven are not those who have been saved but keep on sinning, with the mindset that they are eternally saved. They are those who have been saved and live their lives pleasing to God.
Rom.6:1-2
1. What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin (go on sinning) that grace may abound?
2. Certainly not! How shall we who died to sin live any longer in it?
1 John 3:9 None of those who are children of God continues to sin, for God's very nature is in them; and because God is their Father, they cannot continue to sin. (GB)
The final salvation comes when you hold on to righteous living TILL THE END.

2 Likes

Re: Once Saved Always Saved by CAPTIVATOR: 1:45pm On Jun 15, 2015
Lateralmaths:
Salvation is a gift, not o prize to be won.

Its also a PRIZE , you have to run for it , ( 1cor 9:24) ,
Re: Once Saved Always Saved by italo: 2:04pm On Jun 15, 2015
CAPTIVATOR:

Its also a PRIZE , you have to run for it , ( 1cor 9:24) ,

Gbam.

Once saved always saved is a LIE!
Re: Once Saved Always Saved by Scholar8200(m): 2:19pm On Jun 15, 2015
Op, if there is unconditional security, what would you say about Judas, Demas, Ananias and Sapphira?
Why would Jesus warn his disciples on the dangers of hell and emphasize the need to watch and take heed?

Then, what was the purpose of the parable of the 10 virgins?
Salvation is by Grace but the person thus saved is commanded to walk in the Spirit else, death(spiritual) will result.
And, why would the Holy Spirit inspire Paul to write:

Romans 8:1,13

1 Therefore, [there is] now no condemnation (no adjudging guilty of wrong) for those who are in Christ Jesus, who live [and] walk not after the dictates of the flesh, but after the dictates of the Spirit.
13 For if you live according to [the dictates of] the flesh, you will surely die. But if through the power of the [Holy] Spirit you are [habitually] putting to death (making extinct, deadening) the [evil] deeds prompted by the body, you shall [really and genuinely] live forever.

After salvation, the condition for our security is the highlighted.

2 Likes

Re: Once Saved Always Saved by NumberOne2(m): 4:53pm On Jun 15, 2015
sportsmaster:

Sure explain and while there, explain vs Rom 6:2
Then explain the post by Scholar8200 especially the part of Ananias and Sapphira? I am sure they were born again and spirit filled right?

Scholar8200:
Op, if there is unconditional security, what would you say about Judas, Demas, Ananias and Sapphira?
Why would Jesus warn his disciples on the dangers of hell and emphasize the need to watch and take heed?

Jesus said:
Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.
- Matthew 7:22-23

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Once Saved Always Saved by Nobody: 5:01pm On Jun 15, 2015
Lateralmaths:
Its like saying my salvation is futuristic and dependent on me not on Christ's finished work... That means my believing in Jesus cannot guarantee my salvation... Definitely that's not what Jesus meant there...

Correct!'Your head dey there bro..
That guy does not understand that,
"what guarantees your stand with God is not and can never be ur conduct,it is the finished work of christ".
It is plain and clear that he did not understand the scriptures he was referring to

3 Likes

Re: Once Saved Always Saved by Scholar8200(m): 5:10pm On Jun 15, 2015
sportsmaster:

Correct!'Your head dey there bro..
That guy does not understand that,
"what guarantees your stand with God is not and can never be ur conduct,it is the finished work of christ".
It is plain and clear that he did not understand the scriptures he was referring to
Professed Faith in the finished work of Christ results in a life characterised by holiness
Romans 6:22
22 But now since you have been set free from sin and have become the slaves of God, you have your present reward in holiness and its end is eternal life.

Hence Paul warned that we should not be such
Titus 1:16
16 They profess to know God [to recognize, perceive, and be acquainted with Him], but deny and disown and renounce Him by what they do; they are detestable and loathsome, unbelieving and disobedient and disloyal and rebellious, and [they are] unfit and worthless for good work (deed or enterprise) of any kind.

2 Peter 3:11 was also Inspired by The Holy Spirit
11 Since all these things are thus [b]in the process of being dissolved, what kind of person ought [each of] you to be [in the meanwhile] in consecrated and holy behavior and devout and godly qualities,

Just as the Lord Jesus spoke concerning one of the churches in Revelations 3:4
Yet you still have a few [persons’] names in Sardis who have not soiled their clothes, and they shall walk with Me in white, because they are worthy and deserving.

1 Like

Re: Once Saved Always Saved by ayoku777(m): 5:24pm On Jun 15, 2015
Lateralmaths:
I believe that every believer in Christ has Unconditional Eternal Security. i.e once saved always saved. A believer cannot go to hell because Christ paid the price for sin once and for all. As soon as a man believes in Christ, he is sealed with the Holy Spirit... Who or what can unseal such a seal...

Ephesians 1:13 KJV
In whom ye also trusted , after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,

Christ has fulfilled the law, so the law has lost its power. Therefore sin is no longer imputed to the believer...

Romans 5:13 KJV
(For until the law sin was in the world: but sin is not imputed when there is no law.

We have become the righteousness of God through Christ.
2 Corinthians 5:21 KJV
For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.

what is your stand...
Pls let's discuss with scriptural backing only...

Up until late 2013 I also believed in the "Once saved always saved" doctrine; I even argued for it. Not until I started seeing some scriptures that contradicted that doctrine and that I couldn't argue with. Then I humbly opened my heart to the truth that salvation can be lost if you let carnality fester and degenerate into unbelief.

Here are some of the scriptures that show that salvation can be lost and that "Once saved always saved" doctrine is unscriptural.

1Timothy 4v1 - Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times SOME SHALL DEPART FROM THE FAITH, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils.

This wasn't just Paul talking; this was Paul saying what the Holy Spirit told him; that some will depart from the faith in the last days.

An unbeliever cannot depart from the faith because he was never in the faith. Only someone who once believed in Christ and no longer does, can be said to have departed from the faith.

And to depart from the faith is to lose the salvation. We are saved by grace through faith (Eph 2v8). To depart from the faith through which we are saved by grace is to lose the salvation. We can't depart from the faith and keep the salvation.

So if faith can be departed from, according to the Spirit; then salvation can be lost. Proving that, Once saved is not automatic "always saved".

Another verse.

Revelation 3v5 -He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in whote raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before His angels.

This was Jesus talking; and He wasn't talking to unbelievers. He was talking to christians.

He said that believers who overcome, He will not blot out their names from the book of life. Meaning that christians who don't overcome (or keep the faith) will have their names blotted out.

This proves two things.

One; that being a christian and a member of the body of Christ does not automatically mean one will end an overcomer. Otherwise Jesus would not be telling them; "He that overcometh.."

And two; that christians who don't overcome will have their names blotted out of the book of life, which is the same thing as losing eternal life and going to the lake of fire.

Rev 20v15 -And whosoever was not found witten in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

So if names written in the book of life can be blotted out; it means that eternal life and salvation can be lost by someone who once had it. Proving that; Once saved is not automatic "always saved".

Another verse;

Romans 11v22 -Behold therefore the goodness and severity of God: on them which fell, severity; but toward thee, goodness, if thou continue in his goodness: otherwise thou also shalt be CUT OFF.

This was Paul writing to the gentile believers, warning them not to be highminded and carefree about their salvation. That if they do not continue in God's goodness by staying in the faith ...they also shall be cut off.

Meaning that the scenario of being cut off from Christ is not an impossibility. A christian can let carnality and carefree-ness degenerate into unbelief and departure from the faith. And when that happens, that christian shall be cut off from Christ.

And when one is cut off from Christ, he is no more saved. Proving again that salvation can be lost; and Once saved is not automatic "always saved".

These are some of the scriptures that disprove "Once saved always saved" doctrine and show that:

1. A christian can depart from the faith

2. Names written in the book of life can be blotted out.

3. Someone once grafted into Christ can be cut off from Him.

If all these scenarios were impossible or can never happen; scriptures will not warn us of them.

If believers cannot depart from the faith, the Holy Spirit will not say it will happen. If names written in the book of life cannot be blotted out; Jesus will not warn believers about it. And if a believer cannot be cut off from Christ; scriptures will not beg us to be watchful to avoid being cut off.

All these shows in no ambiguous terms and clarity that salvation can be lost. That "Once saved always saved" doctrine is false.

Shalom.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Once Saved Always Saved by Barnabaseloka(m): 6:24pm On Jun 15, 2015
Anyone who has the mindset of 'once saved ever saved' should know that he/she has been deceived. This gives them a foothold to 'play' with sin as if nothing has happened to them.

This is why I always tell people to study the Scriptures and never to swallow any pastor's messages hook, line and sinker. Learn from the Bereans! Only those who live holy will see God!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Prof James Wood. From Psychopathic Atheist To Evangelist. Total Transformation / Why Do People Clap For Men Of God When They Are Preaching? / What Does The Bible Say About Political Correctness? Should A Christian Be 'PC'?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 127
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.