Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,452 members, 7,808,610 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:15 PM

Five Reasons Not To Apply To A UK University - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Five Reasons Not To Apply To A UK University (37981 Views)

Nigerian Slay Queen Bags Law Degree From UK University. Photos / Nigerian Lady With Masters In Law From A UK University Offered N35k As Salary / Nigerian Lady Bags First Class In Law From UK University (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Five Reasons Not To Apply To A UK University by Nobody: 10:49am On Jun 15, 2015
uzolexis:
The best country 2 study in Europe is Germany. Tution is free,it's easy 2 get student jobs and they give u a visa extension of 18months after ur studies to look 4 a job.
tution's free for undergraduates only...do you know if its free for masters and phd too?

1 Like

Re: Five Reasons Not To Apply To A UK University by coachwilcox(m): 10:52am On Jun 15, 2015
uzolexis:
The best country 2 study in Europe is Germany. Tution is free,it's easy 2 get student jobs and they give u a visa extension of 18months after ur studies to look 4 a job.

Youre right Uzo but the dreaded blocked account in Deutsche Bank of 6000 euros and having to complete Goethe A2 language proficiency isnt easy too.

1 Like

Re: Five Reasons Not To Apply To A UK University by coachwilcox(m): 10:52am On Jun 15, 2015
Bennymontana:
tution's free for undergraduates only...do you know if its free for masters and phd too?

It depends on the University and the course as well.
Re: Five Reasons Not To Apply To A UK University by DMainMan: 10:54am On Jun 15, 2015
Ekpekus:
Eye opener however many will still ignore this.
Nigerians just need to develop and build Nigeria. sad

Yes we have to but we need modern day knowledge and not olden days.

Most Nigerian lecturers are not updated and still use outdated syllabus 1980's as compared to current ones. We cant compete. Let us be realistic. Our Universities are not well funded.

The main reason for education should be for knowledge. China Government invest a lot on oversea scholarships for their citizens. Most foreign students in UK and US are Chinese. China has the best economy now. They use knowledge to drive their economy.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Five Reasons Not To Apply To A UK University by Nobody: 10:54am On Jun 15, 2015
deucelaw:
I agree with the OP.Its overated...Just incase anyone wants to study abroad. Uk, Germany, Poland, Canada, Ukraine, US etc...u could make a request to midstrom.ridge@gmail.com. You wont regret u did.
wanna go for a phd...how do i go about it,cos I have to get a supervisor via online which i have been applying since,still on the long tins;finally,i feel the odds against me as there's no sort of physical intercession...do you know how i can get around this issue,cos its begining to give me sleepless nights!
Re: Five Reasons Not To Apply To A UK University by DMainMan: 10:56am On Jun 15, 2015
DMainMan:
Nice point. People apply there because it is only 1year while US and Canada is 2 years. While will one waste 1 year.

Also, most Nigeria overseas scholarships opportunities are constrained towards UK universities.

However, only apply to russel universities and not second-tier universities. There is discrimination.

www.russellgroup.ac.uk/our-universities/

Most Employers go to only the russel universities and preference is given to UK/EU students. If however, u are exceptionally gud or that company has a branch in Nigeria, then u wil b considered.

Also subscribe to UK sites for job. Some guys don get job already even without finishing their studies yet. Some guys in US and Canada still de look for even when there are more opportunities.

IT IS ALL ABOUT LUCK, PERSEVERANCE HARD WORK AND INFORMATION MY PEOPLE.
Re: Five Reasons Not To Apply To A UK University by Nobody: 10:59am On Jun 15, 2015
coachwilcox:

It depends on the University and the course as well.
do you have an official link for all universities in germany.av bn goin tru some links but i dont think its really comprehensive enuf, tx
Re: Five Reasons Not To Apply To A UK University by idithlove(f): 11:05am On Jun 15, 2015
Ok...nice!!!buh dt doesn't mean if u see a sponsor,u should say no..
Re: Five Reasons Not To Apply To A UK University by coachwilcox(m): 11:13am On Jun 15, 2015
Bennymontana:
do you have an official link for all universities in germany.av bn goin tru some links but i dont think its really comprehensive enuf, tx

Do you want to study in English or German?
Re: Five Reasons Not To Apply To A UK University by timawoku(m): 11:18am On Jun 15, 2015
sexaddict08:
. I have reached elastic limit. not working for d
past 3mnths, now I'm dead broke. they still
own me though. 2mnths b4 they close, how
do I get it plssss?
they close down but their properties still there.
help ooo

Another victim of the dreaded ogogoro...

1 Like

Re: Five Reasons Not To Apply To A UK University by deucelaw: 11:20am On Jun 15, 2015
Bennymontana:
wanna go for a phd...how do i go about it,cos I have to get a supervisor via online which i have been applying since,still on the long tins;finally,i feel the odds against me as there's no sort of physical intercession...do you know how i can get around this issue,cos its begining to give me sleepless nights!

Lol at sleepless nights....You can allow the professionals handle it for you while you go to sleep. To the subject, it depends on the country, course and school you want to go...You may send an email to the address i gave earlier...so we dont cloud this thread with personal stuffs...Cheers
Re: Five Reasons Not To Apply To A UK University by Nobody: 11:24am On Jun 15, 2015
coachwilcox:

Do you want to study in English or German?
English na! smiley
Re: Five Reasons Not To Apply To A UK University by Nobody: 11:33am On Jun 15, 2015
deucelaw:

Lol at sleepless nights....You can allow the professionals handle it for you while you go to sleep. To the subject, it depends on the country, course and school you want to go...You may send an email to the address i gave earlier...so we dont cloud this thread with personal stuffs...Cheers
pls quote me the email addy again..tnx
Re: Five Reasons Not To Apply To A UK University by AkProsper(m): 11:34am On Jun 15, 2015
These reason are for those wey their Papa no get the money.
We all knw hw foreign certificate is over rated in Nigeria; even cotonou certificate is rated high above babcock,convenant uni

1 Like

Re: Five Reasons Not To Apply To A UK University by sexaddict08(m): 11:36am On Jun 15, 2015
timawoku:

Another victim of the dreaded ogogoro...
ur father left yansh....idi.ot
Re: Five Reasons Not To Apply To A UK University by timawoku(m): 11:41am On Jun 15, 2015
sexaddict08:

ur father left yansh....idi.ot

Na ur english teacher I blame... undecided
Re: Five Reasons Not To Apply To A UK University by joearinze(m): 11:44am On Jun 15, 2015
Re: Five Reasons Not To Apply To A UK University by deucelaw: 11:47am On Jun 15, 2015
Bennymontana:
pls quote me the email addy again..tnx

midstrom.ridge@gmail.com. Thanks, i would wait for your email
Re: Five Reasons Not To Apply To A UK University by sexaddict08(m): 11:49am On Jun 15, 2015
timawoku:

Na ur english teacher I blame... undecided
u are a fool, if u don't know. fat n big for nothing. don't make me send u home. OK!!
Re: Five Reasons Not To Apply To A UK University by timawoku(m): 12:00pm On Jun 15, 2015
sexaddict08:

u are a fool, if u don't know. fat n big for nothing.
don't make me send u home. OK!!

Oya no ves my brother... grin

Bur u need to make adjustment for your first comment, as I read am the way headache jus take cash me ehn?

If u dey uk I fit huk u up with sumtin sha (if that is what ur initial post is about), holla timawoku@yahoo.com here too open
Re: Five Reasons Not To Apply To A UK University by Nobody: 12:03pm On Jun 15, 2015
deucelaw:

midstrom.ridge@yahoo.com. Thanks, i would wait for your email
email notin goin tru...(mailer daemon alert) y
Re: Five Reasons Not To Apply To A UK University by deucelaw: 12:24pm On Jun 15, 2015
Bennymontana:
email notin goin tru...(mailer daemon alert) y

My bad...pls overlook my error...midstrom.ridge@gmail.com
Re: Five Reasons Not To Apply To A UK University by Craigston: 12:28pm On Jun 15, 2015
What about Russia? Is it a good place to study (despite language constraints)?
Re: Five Reasons Not To Apply To A UK University by campusconnect: 12:30pm On Jun 15, 2015
Bennymontana:

We at campusconnections may be able to help you fulfill you dreams of securing a Phd spot. you didn't mention your intended study destination for your Phd so we can advice better.

Kindly get back to me if you are interested via my email- george.campusconnections@gmail.com or see phone number on my signature line below

George David
Student Recruitment Manager
Campus Connection
Suites 36, Block A, 1st Floor,
Alausa Shopping Mall,
Telephone:08186775365
Web:www.campusconnections-edu.com
Email: Lagos@campusconnection-edu.com

Re: Five Reasons Not To Apply To A UK University by ttmacoy: 12:32pm On Jun 15, 2015
While i agree that the UK is not a good choice for international students now, I disagree with many of your points especially number 1.

The main reason Nigerians struggle is not becuase of unemployment but simply because access to the EU for UK means Nigerians are very far down the pecking order as any UK company who requires graduates has access not only to the top universities in the UK, but also Europe i.e. Germany France etc.

This is also not helped by the fact that the bulk of Nigerians go to universities lower down the rankings. Please look at all the London Met Universities, East London Universities, South Banks etc, full of Nigerians.Then Look at the LSEs, the UCLs, The Oxfords - very few Nigerians and full of Chinese and Indians who understand the value of the brand better. There really is no incentive for any company (aside those who are looking for chap labour) to spend time and money recruiting you and sponsoring you for a work permit. It will be a hard sell to convince the home office that they could not find any UK or EU citizen to fill the role.

My point is we need to stop this trend of flocking to Universities in the UK (and even US) which have easy entry requirements and are cheap - is the trend now, if you don't believe me please visit the travel section on nairaland. Even the US, most people want a cheap school with no GRE or Toelf requirements. please tell me what level of university will you get?

A rule of thumb, if the university has to come to Nigeria to advertise then it is not worth it in my opinion. Infact the guideline I gave my sister when she was coming for her masters was if the university has to go through clearing to fill up it's places each year, then it is a NO.

You mention immigration rules, well the US rules are even more complex for work permits. Do you know how hard it is to get a H1 visa now? Can you even file a H1 or L1 visa without a lawyer? I have just been through the L1 visa process and I can attest to the fact it is more complex that the UK immigration process. I never used a lawyer in the UK.

Many Nigerian students also don't understand the recruitment process/cycle in the UK and especially those coming for a 1 year masters are in a very very disadvantaged poison as recruitment starts about September when you just started your course which means while you are trying to settle down etc, you miss the recruitment cycle which makes your getting a job harder. The US has the advantage here where some of the masters programs are about 2 years which gives time to adapt.
For those on undergraduate courses, they need to understand the importance of internships. With internships many students would get graduate roles before they graduate, but the average Nigerian would be focused on working through the summer for money instead.

In summary we need to apply common sense here, if you are a going to a top school, have top grades and credentials and understand and are ready to go through the recruitment cycle you will get a job as you stand out. if not then do not go as you will struggle.

greenhouse2012:
You have probably seen the adverts on Linda’s blog and newspapers and you thinking may be its time to go and study abroad, in the UK. However, before you take that huge leap, take a step back and evaluate your options. Having studied the system I have come up with the following reasons why studying in the UK is not as attractive as it is painted.

1. There are no Jobs
It is the dream of everyone going to study abroad to get to practice their skills in the environment where they have learned them. Unfortunately, however, for migrants coming to study in the UK, the chances of getting a job after completion of their study are very slim and there a few reasons for this. But most importantly is that there are simply no Jobs. The UK has an unemployment rate of about 6% and there are about 1 million UK citizens receiving job seekers allowance. So you see, jobs are difficult to come by.

2. Immigration Rules
The immigration rules in the UK are quite complex and sometimes even officials in the universities do not understand many of these rules as it is none of their business. The UK immigration system has been deliberately designed to deter migrants from coming into the country. Unlike in the past, the Tier 4 student Visa does not have enough time allowance for foreign students to apply for Jobs and attend interviews after the completion of their study. You would usually on get between 2-4 months to stay after handing-in you dissertation. This is usually not enough time. In addition, to be eligible for a job interview, the company must ensure that there is no suitable UK citizen for that job. This is almost always impossible except for few fields such as medicine and nursing.

3. Excessive Visa application fees and expensive tuition
Applying for a Tier 4 student Visa could be a nightmare. At present, it costs £322 (NGN 100000). This is excluding costs associated with planning, consulting and logistics. In addition, you have to have a “maintenance fund” in your bank account for 28 consecutive days at least 31 days before your Visa application. This includes a full year tuition fee which could be about £12000 (NGN 3.6 Million) and living expenses of about £10000 (NGN 3 Million). These are definitely not easy to come by, even by well to do UK Citizens. More recently, there has also been an addition of a “Health Surcharge” of about £150 pound (NGN 50000) a year and you don’t get a refund if during the year you do not use the health system.
In terms of Tuition fees, the average tuition fee for a non-UK citizen for most one-year courses is about £12000 (NGN 3.6 Million) which is about twice the amount a UK citizen pays for the same course.

4. Discrimination
Although not overt, there is a subtle but palpable air of discrimination towards immigrants in the UK, more so in recent years where many people face financial hardships. Many UK citizens have been made to believe that immigrants are the cause of their difficulties, however many independent studies would disprove this. The truth however remains that many Britons would prefer that you stay back in your home country.

5. It is not worth the hassle
Considering the financial implications, job prospects and the shock associated with relocating, it is only wise to think and think again before taking that step towards coming to the UK to study. Even UK citizens with all the benefits they have being citizens do not find it easy coping with their own system.
UK universities make money off immigrants hence the widespread media campaigns and open days, however they do not influence policies in a positive way so as to make it a wise investment for young people hoping to break new ground. Therefore, before you take that step, think, “Would I be better-off investing the money and resources in other more fruitful ventures?”
This is not to discourage you. Many people come to the UK and settle in nicely, but you must weigh the pros against the cons before you take your decisions.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Five Reasons Not To Apply To A UK University by Baboo13(m): 12:39pm On Jun 15, 2015
Going to UK, US, Canada, Germany et al is all in a pursuit of a comfortable life which the Nigerian situation has caused..

if you have a good job here after school, Masters won't be 'a must' issue, but something you'll do at a convenient time..I have some friends that have gone to UK especially, and are back, still roaming about looking for jobs

Not that I'm discouraging going abroad, but If a significant amount of jobs are available here, the huge monies we invest in getting higher degrees abroad can be spent into the Nigerian economy.

1 Like

Re: Five Reasons Not To Apply To A UK University by Nobody: 12:40pm On Jun 15, 2015
campusconnect:

We at campusconnections may be able to help you fulfill you dreams of securing a Phd spot. you didn't mention your intended study destination for your Phd so we can advice better.

Kindly get back to me if you are interested via my email- george.campusconnections@gmail.com or see phone number on my signature line below

George David
Student Recruitment Manager
Campus Connection
Suites 36, Block A, 1st Floor,
Alausa Shopping Mall,
Telephone:08186775365
Web:www.campusconnections-edu.com
Email: Lagos@campusconnection-edu.com
sent u a mail n skype request n bb pin. Canada's preferably
Re: Five Reasons Not To Apply To A UK University by ttmacoy: 12:43pm On Jun 15, 2015
Just saw your points, sums up what i was trying to say perfectly.

Ofcourse the UK as with any country wants only the best to remain in it's country and contribute.

dustydee:

To make a blanket statement that there are no jobs is simply not true. There are jobs for those with the right mindset. The unemployment rate is a combination of different factors. A visit to some job boards will show you that there are tens of thousands of jobs. I know for a fact that the big four each have over 1000 vacancies which they struggle to fill each year. One of the reasons foreign student don’t get jobs after graduation is because in their minds “there are no jobs”.

You are right that the UK government are tightening immigration rules. There are however about 20000 tier 2 visa places every year. Are you aware that the places remained unfilled for the past few years?
You have about 18 months to look for a job in the UK. The mistake most people make is that they wait till they finish their program before looking for jobs. The UK system doesn’t work that way. You start looking for a job when you commence your program (I am assuming a masters degree program). Most big companies complete their recruitment process for September start around February (Just when you start your second semester). The key is applying early as most companies operate on a “first come first served basis”.

The visa and the school fees are high but the standard of education is high.

Discrimination, just like everywhere else in the world.

I believe everyone leaving his country to study elsewhere should have a purpose which usually is to be a better person. If the cost to you is not commensurate with the benefits, look elsewhere.

NB: I am talking from experience.
Re: Five Reasons Not To Apply To A UK University by vislabraye(m): 12:43pm On Jun 15, 2015
horlabiyi:
Your point on " excessive visa and application fee and expensive tuition fee " it's not compulsory to study abroad so if you can't afford it just sit in your country.

He has his points. Studying in Uk is ideal as long as you plan to return immediately. He's not talking about the quality of education. Afterall, the amnesty program sponsored a lot of people to UK.
But for someone who would like to stay there to work, UK isn't the place. Canada or some other place is better.

1 Like

Re: Five Reasons Not To Apply To A UK University by ttmacoy: 12:44pm On Jun 15, 2015
Poland, Ukraine over the UK? lol agent at work

deucelaw:
I agree with the OP.Its overated...Just incase anyone wants to study abroad. Uk, Germany, Poland, Canada, Ukraine, US etc...u could make a request to midstrom.ridge@gmail.com. You wont regret u did.

2 Likes

Re: Five Reasons Not To Apply To A UK University by Lyndylove: 12:44pm On Jun 15, 2015
I love this countr and I don't ever wanna travel out to live permanently. God willing, I must make it here. Truth is, the white man's land is designed to suit them. No matter how hard you work, you'll hardly reach their level save by grace
Re: Five Reasons Not To Apply To A UK University by uzolexis(f): 12:48pm On Jun 15, 2015
coachwilcox:

Youre right Uzo but the dreaded blocked account in Deutsche Bank of 6000 euros and having to complete Goethe A2 language proficiency isnt easy too.

Dunno about undergrad but I know a lot of their Msc and PhD programmes are in English so u really don't need to learn the language. I know pple that are studying there n don't really speak it also the 6000 euro thing has to be new.I know it used to be about 3000 euros and they don't block the account,it's to mk sure u have money 2 cater 4 ur living expenses for at least 1year and it's ur money eventually.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Top 10 Colleges Of Medicine In Nigeria? / Most Annoying Thing A Lecturer Ever Did To You ? / Total Scholarship Application 2017/2018

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.