Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,256 members, 7,807,884 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:35 PM

Why Are African Countries Backward Both Socially And Economically ? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Are African Countries Backward Both Socially And Economically ? (6348 Views)

List Of Economically And Socially Most Advanced States In Nigeria / Niger Delta Militants’ Objective Is To Colonize Nigeria Economically – Buhari / Why Black Aren't Wealthy And Economically Strong Without Western Assistance.... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are African Countries Backward Both Socially And Economically ? by tonychristopher: 11:48am On Jun 15, 2015
Several years ago I remember hearing of an article or speech (by Museveni, I think) which asked the same question and offered some ideas. I've had a quick search and I think it was a book by Museveni "What's Africa's Problem?" I haven't read it but I remember some of it.

One point was that in Africa with its largely pleasant warm climate and plentiful food from hunting and fruit from trees, there was less urgency than in Europe to be inventive or build anything beyond basic shelter and little need for clothing. Farming wasn't needed. Another was that with such a large continental interior with very long non-navigable rivers (due to many waterfalls and rapids), communication with the outside world was less practical than in Europe, so trade and exploration didn't happen and being largely 'cut off' new ideas weren't brought in from elsewhere.

I'd say (not Museveni) that we all as individuals benefit enormously from what other people have done in the past to become literate, learn skills, discover knowledge, create infrastructure and systems of government, social structure and record the knowledge gained. Our forebears also explored and imposed our systems on people who didn't need our ways, but the imposition held back development in places we colonised. We exploited their raw materials and took their land. This increased the gap between us and them. Like Christianity? Wait till Islam grips them, then the 6th century awaits them.

A lot of countries have went backwards once Britain pulled out.

I guess for one reason or another the continent of Africa just didn't evolve like Europe.

The Europeans managed to invent items such the light bulb, printing press and so on. You just have to look as far back as the Roman who developed aqueducts and invented underfloor heating and concrete.

Just look at Europe in the 15th century with Michelangelo, and Leonardo da Vinci, Italy was just alive with invention and wonder.

Africa just didn't evolve, maybe it was the climate or tribal nature of the country who knows.

Religion can be said to blame for of it's problems but other countries developed before Christianity so why didn't the African ones ?

The African problem lies in the corruption of their governments, and the fact that the West wants cheap food and raw materials. The anti-gay laws come from a zealous adoption of the teachings of the Bible and the Quran.

Interesting you warn people about going down the racist route, when in the sentence immediately before that you ask if this is something in the African psyche. If that isn't an idea based on race I don't know what is.
a
Interesting that the OP assumes Africa is socially backwards. This assumes that dysfunctional families, high rates of divorce and putting the elderly in homes is socially advanced. It seems a very western view.

THE BASIC PROBLEM WITH AFRICAN COUNTRIES IS THAT THEY ARE LUMPED TOGETHER, TRIBES AND ETHNIC GROUPS THAT HAVE NOTHING IN COMMON ARE LUMPED TOGETHER THEREBY HAVING NO COMMON FRONT UNLIKE EUROPE WHERE MANY COUNTRIES ARE FORMED IN ETHNIC LINE. THERE IS UNITY OF PURPOSE, THIS COHESION IS LACKING IN AFRICA ESPECIALLY SUB SAHARAN OR BLACK AFRICA. FROM NIGERIA TO DRC TO MALAWI TO KENYA...IT IS EITHER ONE TRIBE IS PULLING ANOTHER DOWN EITHER PHYSICALLY OR EMOTIONALLY. THE BIAFRA WAR WAS NOT BASED ON COUP BUT ON LET US PULL EM DOWN SYNDROME SO WAS RWANDA. THE BLACK MIND HAS A LOT OF PULL HIM DOWN MENTALITY.

Africa Arise and Be counted amongst the intellectual not singing and dancing away your time. Do we have a Nobel Prize winner from Africa Scientifically?

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1945509

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are African Countries Backward Both Socially And Economically ? by kodded(m): 11:54am On Jun 15, 2015
We hate ourself embarassed

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are African Countries Backward Both Socially And Economically ? by 9jii(m): 11:55am On Jun 15, 2015
Selfishness.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are African Countries Backward Both Socially And Economically ? by Mogidi: 12:08pm On Jun 15, 2015
By electing illiterates as Presidents, we aren't helping ourselves are we?

4 Likes

Re: Why Are African Countries Backward Both Socially And Economically ? by EasternPride: 12:13pm On Jun 15, 2015
Simply because we lack ability to think and forge our ways.
Black Africa is cursed, if we can help Europeans sell off our own as slaves, then we are as good as cursed people.

What can an African man think of, other than evil and wickedness.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are African Countries Backward Both Socially And Economically ? by tonychristopher: 12:14pm On Jun 15, 2015
but he might deliver..might i said

Mogidi:
Re: Why Are African Countries Backward Both Socially And Economically ? by Mogidi: 12:20pm On Jun 15, 2015
tonychristopher:
but he might deliver..might i said

Considering his slow pace, am not hopeful.
Re: Why Are African Countries Backward Both Socially And Economically ? by Dollyak(f): 12:21pm On Jun 15, 2015
Majority of Africans lack critical thought, simple. Most of them have been brainwashed for so long that you will need generations of high standard of education to change their backward thinking.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Are African Countries Backward Both Socially And Economically ? by Nobody: 12:24pm On Jun 15, 2015
The hatred among Africans is too much. Aside that we set our priorities not on development but on pleasure and materialism. Sex, wealth and power are the motivators of an average african man. We need re-focus, re-orientation and restructuring.

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Are African Countries Backward Both Socially And Economically ? by Nobody: 12:24pm On Jun 15, 2015
Mogidi:

My bros de vex badly o grin grin
Re: Why Are African Countries Backward Both Socially And Economically ? by tonychristopher: 12:26pm On Jun 15, 2015
Mogidi:

How sir
Re: Why Are African Countries Backward Both Socially And Economically ? by Mogidi: 12:30pm On Jun 15, 2015
barcanista:
My bros de vex badly o grin grin

Even the once fanatical saharareporters are amazed at the dullard's slow pace.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are African Countries Backward Both Socially And Economically ? by tonychristopher: 12:31pm On Jun 15, 2015
barcanista:
The hatred among Africans is too much. Aside that we set our priorities not on development but on pleasure and materialism. Sex, wealth and power is the motivator of an average african man. We need re-focus, re-orientation and restructuring.

Consumerism ...you got it Bro ...eat eat drink sing and dance nothing else ...we look down on local made good and we wont encourage them but jump at even fairy used things

I dont see any reason people should not prosper in Africa ...but the black man has seen that white is superior and this has made the black man think low of hinself..just look at Asia

We are miracle seekers not emprical seekers

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are African Countries Backward Both Socially And Economically ? by Mogidi: 12:34pm On Jun 15, 2015
tonychristopher:

How sir
How long are we prepared to wait to see the direction this govt is going to take? Its 3 weeks and counting, the much touted "saviour of our time" has refused to exhibit any leadership skill yet.
Re: Why Are African Countries Backward Both Socially And Economically ? by Nobody: 12:34pm On Jun 15, 2015
grin grin grin
Mogidi:

2 Likes

Re: Why Are African Countries Backward Both Socially And Economically ? by tonychristopher: 12:37pm On Jun 15, 2015
Mogidi:

nigeria should be the beacon and pathfinder of black but look at the sorry state we found ourselves ....we jumped from frying own to fire

We need an inspirational and intelligent leader not a gerontocrat. I do not have apologies ..we should be able to sort out our domestic problem ....not begging the west

How can buhari beg the west to assist them to quash BOKO boys ....did China beg west ?

I think the earlier we start believing in our capacity and capabilities the best for us

2 Likes

Re: Why Are African Countries Backward Both Socially And Economically ? by gabriel212: 12:37pm On Jun 15, 2015
The RELIGION play a large role to surpressed Africa development. Our for fathers so believe in the gods will provide anything they needed which impede them from critical thinking. For an instsnce, Italy was recording an astronomous sucess scientifically until Aristocrate, Gallelio, Socrates(I might be wrong with this) where murder on the bases of Religion and since the the state had been deprived of greater thinker.
So, such is the case in Africa. But, African are today able to differentiate btw Religion and Society which have help Us taking step even thou quatum to evolve well politically and economically.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are African Countries Backward Both Socially And Economically ? by tonychristopher: 12:40pm On Jun 15, 2015
Mogidi:

How long are we prepared to wait to see the direction this govt is going to take? Its 3 weeks and counting, the much touted "saviour of our time" has refused to exhibit any leadership skill yet.

To me it seems he doesn't have a blue print he rode to presidency on our ideosyncracy and stupidity ...maybe maybe not

Or tribal sentiments

I just don't get it
Re: Why Are African Countries Backward Both Socially And Economically ? by Nobody: 12:40pm On Jun 15, 2015
tonychristopher:

Consumerism ...you got it Bro ...eat eat drink sing and dance nothing else ...we look down on local made good and we wont encourage them but jump at even fairy used things

I dont see any reason people should not prosper in Africa ...but the black man has seen that white is superior and this has made the black man think low of hinself..just look at Asia

We are miracle seekers not emprical seekers

Dude pls just shut your dirty racist, redneck mouth and get out of this place. Stop pretending to be a Nigerian or African. You are a plant and a stooge of white racists. Fck off from here. Nasty being. If you think you have anything to contribute to Africa, do so. Don't come in here racially insulting Africans. Understood? Jobless idiottt.

1 Like

Re: Why Are African Countries Backward Both Socially And Economically ? by AlfaSeltzer(m): 12:41pm On Jun 15, 2015
it is the will of God.
Re: Why Are African Countries Backward Both Socially And Economically ? by tonychristopher: 12:44pm On Jun 15, 2015
AlfaSeltzer:
it is the will of God.

How and what is the will of God .....He gave us brain. and will to think

So what is wrong with us as a race

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are African Countries Backward Both Socially And Economically ? by Mogidi: 12:46pm On Jun 15, 2015

THE BASIC PROBLEM WITH AFRICAN COUNTRIES IS THAT THEY ARE LUMPED TOGETHER, TRIBES AND ETHNIC GROUPS THAT HAVE NOTHING IN COMMON ARE LUMPED TOGETHER THEREBY HAVING NO COMMON FRONT UNLIKE EUROPE WHERE MANY COUNTRIES ARE FORMED IN ETHNIC LINE. THERE IS UNITY OF PURPOSE, THIS COHESION IS LACKING IN AFRICA ESPECIALLY SUB SAHARAN OR BLACK AFRICA.

Gbam!!
Look no further for the cause of our wahala. Nigeria should be turned to a loose federation at best, this federating union is not working, total dissolution is what I believe in.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Are African Countries Backward Both Socially And Economically ? by AlfaSeltzer(m): 12:47pm On Jun 15, 2015
tonychristopher:

How and what is the will of God .....He gave us brain. and will to think

So what is wrong with us as a race

Nothing. We are the way God made us. Are you saying he made us wrong?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Are African Countries Backward Both Socially And Economically ? by Mogidi: 12:49pm On Jun 15, 2015
ROSSIKE:
Dude pls just shut your dirty racist, redneck mouth and get out of this place. Stop pretending to be a Nigerian or African. You are a plant and a stooge of white racists. Fck off from here. Nasty being. If you think you have anything to contribute to Africa, do so. Don't come in here racially insulting Africans. Understood? Jobless idiottt.

Your rant is uncalled for, ROSSIKE having a bad day or what?
Re: Why Are African Countries Backward Both Socially And Economically ? by After1one: 12:49pm On Jun 15, 2015
Mogidi:

By allowing jobless trolls like you to post trash. Ogidi must die soon cheesy
Re: Why Are African Countries Backward Both Socially And Economically ? by Mogidi: 12:52pm On Jun 15, 2015
After1one:

By allowing jobless trolls like you to post trash. Ogidi must die soon cheesy

Since you're fixated with "death" I hope God grants you your wish. It could actually be better for you to take your own life, my hope is that you do it soon.
Re: Why Are African Countries Backward Both Socially And Economically ? by Dollyak(f): 12:55pm On Jun 15, 2015
ROSSIKE:
seriously, why can't you just chill? This is a valid point that needs to be discussed. To swiftly dismissed this constructive argument by calling the op racist, doesn't reflect well on you. There was simply no need to be defensive.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are African Countries Backward Both Socially And Economically ? by After1one: 12:57pm On Jun 15, 2015
Mogidi:

Since I am fixated with "death" I hope God grants me my wish soon so i can join my father. AMEN.

Are you Ogidi? Why are you angry nah. Lolzzz. Amen to your prayers anyway.
Re: Why Are African Countries Backward Both Socially And Economically ? by Nobody: 12:57pm On Jun 15, 2015
Mogidi:

Your rant is uncalled for, ROSSIKE having a bad day or what?
Stop fronting for that devil pretending to be African. The op is NOT an African. His sick words: "The African has realised the white man is superior to him". That is the poisonous racist, satanic trash he infuses into his "oh I care so much for Africa" pretence game. Fck him. Fck his mother, and fck you too if you are part of the arrangement.
Re: Why Are African Countries Backward Both Socially And Economically ? by Nobody: 1:01pm On Jun 15, 2015
Dollyak:

seriously, why can't you just chill? This is a valid point that needs to be discussed. To swiftly dismissed this constructive argument by calling the op racist, doesn't reflect well on you.
Read through the op's lines you walking dunce. He's calling you an inferior being before your eyes and coating it with nice words. Use your brain here or get lost. Nobody has the right to come in here making racist remarks against Africans even in the guise of 'caring'.
Re: Why Are African Countries Backward Both Socially And Economically ? by tonychristopher: 1:05pm On Jun 15, 2015
God gave us the room to improve on ourselves and not been stagnant that is why he said that he has given us dominion over the earth...we are hurting God with our docility and senility...as a father will you be happy if your kids are not improving on themselves

WE AFRICAN ARE HRTING GOD...EVEN PASTORS DONT EVEN GIVE BACK TO SOCIETY AND I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT IMMANS.....
AlfaSeltzer:

Nothing. We are the way God made us. Are you saying he made us wrong?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Are African Countries Backward Both Socially And Economically ? by Dollyak(f): 1:09pm On Jun 15, 2015
ROSSIKE:
Read through the op's lines you walking dunce. He's calling you an inferior being before your eyes and coating it with nice words. Use your brain here or get lost. Nobody has the right to come in here making racist remarks against Africans even in the guise of 'caring'.
Seriously, you have serious issues. You are simply reading too much into what is a daring post. How about you think of the post critically without getting emotional or defensive. I will rather we tackle the issues at hand rather than get defensive. If China could do it why can't we turn our fortunes around?

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Iran Declare War 0n Nigeria Not Threat. / Why I Called Nigeria A Zoo- Nnamdi Kanu(must Watch Video) / Meet The Man Who May Unseat Gov.wike

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.