Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,894 members, 7,806,611 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:01 PM

Speaking In Tongues: Is It A Mere Religious Exercise?? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Speaking In Tongues: Is It A Mere Religious Exercise?? (1957 Views)

5 Most Important Things You Need To Know About Speaking In Tongue / 5 Benefits Of Praying In Tongues / Speaking In Tongues Is The Only Way To Overcome The Challenges Coming Ahead (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Speaking In Tongues: Is It A Mere Religious Exercise?? by Goodyshoes(m): 2:16pm On Jun 15, 2015
Now we know that lots of Christian fundentalists subscribe to the notion of speaking in tongues.
This is an act which the early apostles engaged in while in the upper room. I clearly understand it as speaking in a language/tongue foreign to yours. For instance, a Greek man speaking Hausa. That'd definitely qualify as " speaking in tongues", which would be a far cry from the today's church's version and interpretation of the tongues.
However, I see it as an exercise that wouldn't serve as a prerequisite to getting to God's Kingdom.
Thoughts, opinions and comments.
Cheers.
Re: Speaking In Tongues: Is It A Mere Religious Exercise?? by Nobody: 2:20pm On Jun 15, 2015
I've taken your virginity,you're mine forevergrin
Re: Speaking In Tongues: Is It A Mere Religious Exercise?? by Goodyshoes(m): 2:23pm On Jun 15, 2015
Lolz. Is that a deliberate attempt to derail the thread....
I want concise contributions on the subject topic.
Appreciate the humour though. wink
Re: Speaking In Tongues: Is It A Mere Religious Exercise?? by Truth24(m): 2:31pm On Jun 15, 2015
Op Read ur Bible, pray everyday if u want to grow
Re: Speaking In Tongues: Is It A Mere Religious Exercise?? by badaoyeyemi(f): 2:32pm On Jun 15, 2015
lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Speaking In Tongues: Is It A Mere Religious Exercise?? by Goodyshoes(m): 2:50pm On Jun 15, 2015
badaoyeyemi:
lipsrsealed
Please talk and contribute.
Caveat:
I'm a Christian. A liberal one though.
I still await an expository on this.
Re: Speaking In Tongues: Is It A Mere Religious Exercise?? by abitex577(m): 3:37pm On Jun 15, 2015
Speaking in tongues is one of the physical signs of the baptism of the Holy Spirit in the life of a christian, it is not a mere religious exercise, it is the vehicle of supernatural empowerment.The bibles says when you speak in tongue you edify the body. Tongues are heavenly communication languages which could be understood or may not be understood by the one speaking, for the interpretation of tongues is a gift as well in the Holy Spirit.
Re: Speaking In Tongues: Is It A Mere Religious Exercise?? by Goodyshoes(m): 4:49pm On Jun 15, 2015
abitex577:
Speaking in tongues is one of the physical signs of the baptism of the Holy Spirit in the life of a christian, it is not a mere religious exercise, it is the vehicle of supernatural empowerment.The bibles says when you speak in tongue you edify the body. Tongues are heavenly communication languages which could be understood or may not be understood by the one speaking, for the interpretation of tongues is a gift as well in the Holy Spirit.
Yeah, aptly written.
But I must make a few comments, as I find necessary.
I agree with you that it may not be a mere spiritual exercise, but let's cross examine the necessity and relative importance of "speaking in tongues" as it relates to making it to Gods kingdom.
You say, it's a physical sign of being baptized by the Holy Spirit, does this also make Holy Spirit baptism different from being born again. Cuz the Bible was clear when it said "except a man be born again, he cannot enter the kingdom of God"....
This implies that being born again is therefore the prerequisite to getting there.
Now lemme ask you also, when Christians speak in tongues, does it mean that those tongues they speak in are not known to them speaking at that time or that they speak in a "complete heavenly/spiritual" language known to no man in this realm??
Please also drop a note on the particular purpose of speaking in tongues while praying.
Cheers.
Re: Speaking In Tongues: Is It A Mere Religious Exercise?? by Nobody: 5:23pm On Jun 16, 2015
A lot of people have wrong NOTIONS about tongues..
I am not totally clear on that subject..have been studying it for a while now..when I am done.
I will start an Open discussion forum where i will be answering lotsa questions..
Re: Speaking In Tongues: Is It A Mere Religious Exercise?? by Nobody: 5:59pm On Jun 16, 2015
Goodyshoes:
Now we know that lots of Christian fundentalists subscribe to the notion of speaking in tongues.
This is an act which the early apostles engaged in while in the upper room. I clearly understand it as speaking in a language/tongue foreign to yours. For instance, a Greek man speaking Hausa. That'd definitely qualify as " speaking in tongues", which would be a far cry from the today's church's version and interpretation of the tongues.
However, I see it as an exercise that wouldn't serve as a prerequisite to getting to God's Kingdom.
Cheers.
Re: Speaking In Tongues: Is It A Mere Religious Exercise?? by cold(m): 6:01pm On Jun 16, 2015
Pentecostal christians claim it is a mode of communication which prevents the devil from intercepting their prayers. Sort of encrypted messages or codes to prevent the enemy from decoding the message. This is indeed laughable,the correlation therefore,is that god is not as powerful as he/it/she is cracked up to be. If the devil can intercept prayers and prevent them from reaching god then what purpose does god serve?
Re: Speaking In Tongues: Is It A Mere Religious Exercise?? by Nobody: 6:01pm On Jun 16, 2015
Goodyshoes:
Cheers.
Speaking in various language bro I say is a gift. Apostle Paul ask you and me "Do all speak in tongues?" No,And as such is finalized.
Re: Speaking In Tongues: Is It A Mere Religious Exercise?? by Nobody: 6:05pm On Jun 16, 2015
cold:
Pentecostal christians claim it is a mode of communication which prevents the devil from intercepting their prayers. Sort of encrypted messages or codes to prevent the enemy from decoding the message. This is indeed laughable,the correlation therefore,is that god is not as powerful as he/it/she is cracked up to be. If the devil can intercept prayers and prevent them from reaching god then what purpose does god serve?
Beloved that's what they are taught by their founders. Soon I will write a book titled "The Apostolic Teachings" after am done with my book "Understanding His Miracles And Deeds". So much have changed.
Re: Speaking In Tongues: Is It A Mere Religious Exercise?? by vooks: 6:14pm On Jun 16, 2015
Goodyshoes:
Cheers.

Read this book and then revert

https://www.nairaland.com/2002518/skeptics-guide-tongues-prophecy
Re: Speaking In Tongues: Is It A Mere Religious Exercise?? by Goodyshoes(m): 10:34pm On Jun 16, 2015
cold:
Really, this is hilarious. However, I must point out a few things.
I do not see "speaking in tongues" as some form of coded and encrypted message to "prevent" interception, cuz that would prove God fallible to and susceptible to devils antics and manipulations.
I simply see it as one of those religious exercises that Christians indulge in, prolly to strengthen their faith. I however, do not subscribe to it as a prerequisite to getting there.
Re: Speaking In Tongues: Is It A Mere Religious Exercise?? by Goodyshoes(m): 10:38pm On Jun 16, 2015
starlingslimnet:
Speaking in various language bro I say is a gift. Apostle Paul ask you and me "Do all speak in tongues?" No,And as such is finalized.
How exactly is "speaking in diverse language" a gift Couldn't it be a product of ondepth learning. Obafemi Awolowo, as we know spoke in several languages. Hence, I do not see it as a gift.
Now, in context, as relating to the subject topic, I'd like an explicit remark on the particular role "speaking in tongues" play in our life long journey as Christians.
Re: Speaking In Tongues: Is It A Mere Religious Exercise?? by Goodyshoes(m): 10:41pm On Jun 16, 2015
vooks:

Read this book and then revert
https://www.nairaland.com/2002518/skeptics-guide-tongues-prophecy
Thanks for that recommendation on that book. Would have loved to read and study it through. Unfortunately, I may not be able to, cuz of certain constraints. Like time et al.
But if you may, please a concise explanation on the subject topic would be very beneficial. Thoughts and opinions.
Cheers.
Re: Speaking In Tongues: Is It A Mere Religious Exercise?? by Nobody: 12:14am On Jun 17, 2015
Goodyshoes:

How exactly is "speaking in diverse language" a gift Couldn't it be a product of ondepth learning. Obafemi Awolowo, as we know spoke in several languages. Hence, I do not see it as a gift.
Now, in context, as relating to the subject topic, I'd like an explicit remark on the particular role "speaking in tongues" play in our life long journey as Christians.
On the day of Pentecost the disciples spoke in different languages and not in tongue which Pentecostals speak.Therein lies the problem.I saying speaking in diverse language is a gift is not learning languages before speaking it but speaking your language and others hearing it as their language e.g I, speaking English and you hearing it as Igbo. And none of the acclaimed Pentecostals have that gift. So to answer in context there remains a need to identify which are we discussing: The Biblical Speaking in various language or the Pentecostals speaking in tongues?If it's the latter I hv nothing to say since it's not in the Bible but if it's the former I say then it has the same effect in the life of a Christian as the gift of healing does in the life of a Christian who posses it I.e Testifying and bearing us witness we are sons of God.
Re: Speaking In Tongues: Is It A Mere Religious Exercise?? by vooks: 12:10pm On Jun 17, 2015
Goodyshoes:

Thanks for that recommendation on that book. Would have loved to read and study it through. Unfortunately, I may not be able to, cuz of certain constraints. Like time et al.
But if you may, please a concise explanation on the subject topic would be very beneficial. Thoughts and opinions.
Cheers.
Download the book and send it somewhere safe. You may be busy but am sure you won't be busy forever.
Re: Speaking In Tongues: Is It A Mere Religious Exercise?? by Goodyshoes(m): 12:19pm On Jun 17, 2015
vooks:

Download the book and send it somewhere safe. You may be busy but am sure you won't be busy forever.
I'd do so sometime. But I'll still love to hear your thoughts and opinions on this.
Re: Speaking In Tongues: Is It A Mere Religious Exercise?? by vooks: 12:37pm On Jun 17, 2015
Goodyshoes:
Cheers.
You raise several points and you may not get short answers.
May be we should start with a definition of tongues
Mark 16:17 (KJV)
And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; 18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.

Believers shall speak with new tongues.
The word tongue simply mean language. Believers shall speak with new languages

That is a promise. To help us understand exactly what it means, we look for a recorded example of believers speaking in tongues. Acts
Acts 2:4-7 (KJV)
And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance. 5 And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven. 6 Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language. 7 And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilaeans?

V4- they spoke with other languages as the Spirit gave them utterance. So the supernatural aspect of this event is not speaking in a different language, it is the Spirit who enabled them to do it. With enough time, you can learn any language and develop fluency. You would be speaking in many languages/tongues but not spontaneously by the Spirit.

The big deal here was diasporas Jews heard Galileans speaking in their local dialects. This tells me the 120 disciples in the upper room spoke SEVERAL languages. So tongues are not restricted to a particular language. I heard some guys suggest that tongues are given in Hebrew language.

V6- again the diasporas heard their language. What of the local Jews in Jerusalem? You can bet they heard gibberish. Because they understood not the 'internTional' dialects spoken by the 120 unless they had learnt them before.

Acts 2:8-11 (KJV)
And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born? 9 Parthians, and Medes, and Elamites, and the dwellers in Mesopotamia, and in Judaea, and Cappadocia, in Pontus, and Asia, 10 Phrygia, and Pamphylia, in Egypt, and in the parts of Libya about Cyrene, and strangers of Rome, Jews and proselytes, 11 Cretes and Arabians, we do hear them speak in our tongues the wonderful works of God

The ones who understood the tongues heard the 120 speak of wonderful works. Sounds like they were really praising God. So God will not engineer tongues in you so you can use it against Him.

Is it a 'religious exercise'?
First I have no idea what you mean by 'religious exercise'. If you mean to suggest whether they are important or not, all I can say is, they originate from Holy Spirit and I doubt he has a penchant for 'religious exercises'

Are they a 'prerequisite for getting into God's Kingdom'?
The answer is NO.
All you need is to believe in Jesus Christ and confess him as Lord and you are born again. You are now a believer and in this state, you are a CANDIDATE for this gift. Let's ask Peter
Acts 2:38 (KJV)
Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. 39 For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call

AND YOU SHALL RECEIVE THE GIFT OF THE HOLY SPIRIT. It means AFTER this, you receive the gift. At this point you are already a child of God.

Some people believe you must be baptized with water FIRST before you receive the gift, but in Acts 10, the gift fell on Cornelius family BEFORE baptism. So it is not necessary. Further, in Acts 19, Paul finds believers who had never heard of the baptism of the Holy Spirit.
Acts 19:1-2 (KJV)
And it came to pass, that, while Apollos was at Corinth, Paul having passed through the upper coasts came to Ephesus: and finding certain disciples, 2 He said unto them, Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed? And they said unto him, We have not so much as heard whether there be any Holy Ghost.

These were Christians alright but they had yet to receive the Gift. So receiving the baptism of the Holy Spirit AND the attendant sign of speaking in tongues is no 'prerequisite'.
Re: Speaking In Tongues: Is It A Mere Religious Exercise?? by vooks: 12:42pm On Jun 17, 2015
Goodyshoes:

I'd do so sometime. But I'll still love to hear your thoughts and opinions on this.
It is well my broda,
That is a short book on the subject and I went through it and agreed with it 110%. So I highly recommend it
Re: Speaking In Tongues: Is It A Mere Religious Exercise?? by Nobody: 12:46pm On Jun 17, 2015
I recommend Baptism and fullness by John Stott
Re: Speaking In Tongues: Is It A Mere Religious Exercise?? by Goodyshoes(m): 1:23pm On Jun 17, 2015
vooks:

It is well my broda,
That is a short book on the subject and I went through it and agreed with it 110%. So I highly recommend it
I'd revert soon. Having a busy day.
Cheers.
Re: Speaking In Tongues: Is It A Mere Religious Exercise?? by Kobojunkie: 9:25pm On May 18, 2023
Goodyshoes:
■ Now we know that lots of Christian fundentalists subscribe to the notion of speaking in tongues.
This is an act which the early apostles engaged in while in the upper room. I clearly understand it as speaking in a language/tongue foreign to yours. For instance, a Greek man speaking Hausa. However, I see it as an exercise that wouldn't serve as a prerequisite to getting to God's Kingdom. Thoughts, opinions and comments. Cheers.
Speaking in tongues — as depicted in scripture— is done under the control of the Spirit Himself and not the control of the one who is possessed by Him. He speaks the unknown tongue through the one whom He inhabits. So, you cannot pretend to judge the significance of the exercise by your own intelligence as He knows why He speaks when He speaks in that unknown tongue that He speaks. undecided
Re: Speaking In Tongues: Is It A Mere Religious Exercise?? by Kobojunkie: 1:44pm On May 22, 2023
Truth24:
Op Read ur Bible, pray everyday if u want to grow
You can pray from today until your dying day and it will all amount to nothing, why? Because God does not answer the prayers of the unrighteous and it is also not by prayer that you advance in the Kingdom of God. Rather it is through continuous submission and obedience to the teachings and commandments of Jesus Christ that you do. undecided
Re: Speaking In Tongues: Is It A Mere Religious Exercise?? by Kobojunkie: 9:06pm On May 23, 2023
abitex577:
■Speaking in tongues is one of the physical signs of the baptism of the Holy Spirit in the life of a christian, it is not a mere religious exercise, it is the vehicle of supernatural empowerment.The bibles says when you speak in tongue you edify the body.
■ Tongues are heavenly communication languages which could be understood or may not be understood by the one speaking, for the interpretation of tongues is a gift as well in the Holy Spirit.
1. But what does "edify the body" in fact mean? According to Paul who wrote those words, the edification of the body happens when the body is transformed by the Spirit of Eternal life which lives on the inside of it. So, are you insinuating that speaking in tongues causes the transformation from a body of flesh to a spiritual body to take place? undecided

2. The statement is a lie! undecided
Re: Speaking In Tongues: Is It A Mere Religious Exercise?? by MightySparrow: 8:49am On May 24, 2023
Goodyshoes:
Cheers.

By liberality, I think you are being careful not to get deep with God. You choose what is reasonable to you. That's fine. But, if you view things that way you would not be a Christian at all. Do you believe that Jesus was s born of Virgin Mary? I think yes? Is the birth humanly or scientifically reasonable? You believe it anyway. No. So is baptism of Holy Spirit. Without the experience, you will just be wondering and ever asking questions.
As the saying goes, ' a picture is clearer than a thousand words.' (paraphrased)

I was like you years back in the University. I had been healed of Migraine by accidentally straying into a fellowship gathering.
I joined another fellowship. To show my appreciation to God, I joined the choir. In the choir, we were having a week of fasting every semester.
It was in one of the prayer sessions that another student prayed with me and I received the baptism. It was the interdenominational fellowship controlled by Anglican priest who didn't believe in the baptism of the Holy Spirit then!
From that point I began to speak in tongues. Initially, I didn't understand whatever I was saying. Then I stopped but I must pray! Before I would say two or three sentences, the tongue would come.

I think the Holy Spirit saw my frustrations. Whenever I prayed thereafter, what I was praying for would be registering in my mind. Confidence came and I continued. Later for hours. The longer the sweeter.

So the experience would not be absolutely be given by any person' s experience or arguments of those who don't have it.

John.3.8 - The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit.

Just crave for the baptism and release yourself. That, I think is the best way.

If was prophecied, Jesus promised it, the early church experienced it and was commucated to us. It could be a prerequisite to the kingdom of God
Re: Speaking In Tongues: Is It A Mere Religious Exercise?? by MaxInDHouse(m): 9:29am On May 24, 2023
It first occurred in Jerusalem when first century Jewish disciples of Christ spoke different languages to preach the Good News of God's Kingdom {Act 2:6} and that's according to God's will since Jesus asked them to do so! Act 1:8

Anything outside that is immaterial!
Re: Speaking In Tongues: Is It A Mere Religious Exercise?? by bobestman(m): 10:48am On May 24, 2023
MaxInDHouse:
It first occurred in Jerusalem when first century Jewish disciples of Christ spoke different languages to preach the Good News of God's Kingdom {Act 2:6} and that's according to God's will since Jesus asked them to do so! Act 1:8

Anything outside that is immaterial!
Anything outside the gospel the same Jewish disciples of the messiah preached thousands of years ago is also immaterial cos after the messiah died, they searched for all the disciples who knew the truth and killed all of them. They fabricated another gospel you all preach today. So you guys who go about preaching JW gospel are all wasting your time. As he gave command that the sign shall follow them that believed, he also gave command to them to preach. You can't call one a lie and another truth. It only exposes the ignorance and foolishness of your organisation
Re: Speaking In Tongues: Is It A Mere Religious Exercise?? by MaxInDHouse(m): 12:17pm On May 24, 2023
The preaching and teaching campaign is about God's Kingdom where peace will reign on earth because only peacelovers will be alive by then. So if you can't present any group of people in whose midst there is no use of weapons then you're fooling yourself.
Any organization that has successfully carried out what is found written in the Bible book of Isaiah 2:2-4 and Zephaniah 3:9 are undoubtedly God's people today! wink

bobestman:
Anything outside the gospel the same Jewish disciples of the messiah preached thousands of years ago is also immaterial cos after the messiah died, they searched for all the disciples who knew the truth and killed all of them. They fabricated another gospel you all preach today. So you guys who go about preaching JW gospel are all wasting your time. As he gave command that the sign shall follow them that believed, he also gave command to them to preach. You can't call one a lie and another truth. It only exposes the ignorance and foolishness of your organisation
Re: Speaking In Tongues: Is It A Mere Religious Exercise?? by bobestman(m): 9:20am On May 27, 2023
MaxInDHouse:
The preaching and teaching campaign is about God's Kingdom where peace will reign on earth because only peacelovers will be alive by then. So if you can't present any group of people in whose midst there is no use of weapons then you're fooling yourself.
Any organization that has successfully carried out what is found written in the Bible book of Isaiah 2:2-4 and Zephaniah 3:9 are undoubtedly God's people today! wink

You can't teach anything without power/signs -Act 1:8 and being commissioned. It ended with the disciples who were all killed and another gospel fabricated by Rome. You are wasting your time with Jw. They know nothing. Isaiah 2 is at endtime. The signs to fulfil it is clearly written. It for isreal after their restoration - isaiah 11:11-13. After restoration, then the Temple. Zaph 3:9 is about the Branch who will gather, judge and rule Isreal. The stone is that object held by priests to know God's will concerning any issue. Come 4 lectures

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

[janmashtami HD Images] Krishna Janmashtami 2016 HD Images, Profile Pics, Dp / For Atheists:Lady Healed From HIV/AIDS At Bushiri's Church(evidence Attached) / Why Do Christians Pray On Mountains

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 110
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.